• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Rank it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NahaNago

My original thoughts on the direct was that it was a rating of B but after thinking about it their was like maybe 2 major games and they were kirby and bayonetta. Kirby looks kinda meh and I spent half the time hating on Bayonetta's outfit and the graphics of the game were meh. Nearly everything else was dlc, old games, and news updates. I just enjoyed the direct even though it didn't have any real big wow moments outside of that disappointing kirby game. My adjusted rating thoughts on it now is C.

93xfan

Banned
I'm kinda done with Directs, 40 minutes of mostly filler is just boring. Just release trailers on their own so I don't have to watch all the anime and indie crap.

I especially liked the unnecessary statements. “You just watched the new Kirby Forgettable Something trailer. That’s why it showed the title ‘Kirby’ at the end of the trailer. It takes place in a mysterious world. Let me show you in a recap of the images you saw in the trailer a minute ago in case you forgot. Just like the trailer said, Kirby Forgettable Something comes out in Spring. Hope you look forward to Spring because of this.”

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Gave it a B. Saw some Bayonetta, some Metroid nice SEGA collection. Dying Light 2 via the cloud was a surprise. I wish they had a little more on BOTW2 but maybe it's still too early. Then the Mario movie.

Pretty Solid.

93xfan

Banned
As soon as they showed the new Kirby game, the first thing I thought was "damn, why don't they make a real 3D Donkey Kong title?"

Why do a dormant franchise when you can milk a less popular one? I assume Kirby is less popular, right?

93xfan

Banned
New Metroid trailer did nothing to sell me on the game.

2D Metroidvanias don’t need cutscenes. Environment and enemies are doing nothing for me

Aldric

It was the best Direct of the year I'd say, solid. Not a Kirby fan but I'm glad they're finally making a full 3D game after years of iterative sidescrollers, looked pretty good too. Bayo 3 was also a nice surprise although it did look kind of shit and made me regret the nonexistent DLSS 4K Switch even more. Splatoon 3 did nothing for me, looks more of the same which was already Splatoon 2's problem.

Vagswarm

Why do a dormant franchise when you can milk a less popular one? I assume Kirby is less popular, right?
From what I've heard, they've both done reasonably well as far as critical & commercial success. I don't know if either one was ever actually developed by Nintendo though. Donkey Kong was being done by Rare since the SNES, then went to Retro. Kirby I think was being done by Hal.

If that's true then I suppose it makes sense that they're not working on Donkey Kong, if they're on Prime 4.

Last edited:

Woopah

That's basically Nintendo all gen. Ports and remasters. But it's leading to their best gen ever so it's a winning formula.
I appreciate that in this one that went passed the ports and updates pretty quickly and the vast majority of the time was on new games. Hope that's the case for all future directs.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the best 3 castlevania games for 20

10 outa 10

the rest was absolute dogshit cherry on the cake was 50 dollar n64 controller.. with more expensive Nintendo Shit Online

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think this direct is a perfect example of what I have mentioned before. You can never appease those who cry about Nintendo. Goal posts will continue to be moved and even if they announce every dream the person has, they will still find faults just to find faults.

Direct was fantastic. Lots of great games, cool announcements, and surprises. Massive updates to classic franchises, returns of some fan favorites, and long-dreamt of wishlists for many. Easily the best event this year.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I went with a C. It was pretty lackluster. Yoko Taros new game looks like nothing for me, so it was a big disappointment. Kudos to him doing what he wants though, even it doesn't appeal to me. Metroid Dread looks insane and for every trailer I get more and more hyped. My most anticipated game right now. Dying Light looks pretty cool and if it's a solid port I'll consider picking it up. Bayo is not for me, I was hoping for Astral Chain 2 instead. Probably picking up Shadowrun trilogy just for nostalgic feels. No Dark Souls 2 was a bummer. Nintendo online continues to not appeal to me. I would much rather buy the games instead. Nintendo should give us the option or reintroduce Virtual Console. This fucking rental shit is getting on my nerves. Well, I'm happy for OLED model and Dread at least. Those will be 🔥 8 October can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I feel like for every Direct people are generally pretty excited, only to end up thinking "It was ok I guess."

I gave it a B.

Jubenhimer

A- very good. That Mario casting was LOL, and it's a bit disapointing that N64 and Genesis games are locked behind an additional paywall. But hey, 3D Kirby, new Splatoon 3 footage, and Bayonetta 3 finally being shown were all hype.

Ozzie666

Overall, I went in expecting nothing and I left not feeling disappointed. I thought it was pretty good and well tut together, some classic puppets would have made things better though. Kirby was a nice surprise, not too much filler, sans the Mario movie stuff. Dread continues to impress, ignore the cloud games.

But it's still jarring to see the step back in graphics and wonder how the system keeps on going. A monster year of software sales coming up for sure. B or C, Refreshingly different that the others.

I feel like there were multiple weird or neat surprises. Actraiser remaster? 64 games like Banjo Kazooie and Sin & Punishment? Final Fantasy Kart game? Crazy Mario cast? Yoko Taro card RPG? 3D Kirby? Bayonetta 3 finally?

I give it a B.

Last edited:
Solid B.

Bayonetta 3
Nintendo 64 Online
KotOR on Switch

This is enough to get me hyped. Hopefully Donkey Kong 64 comes over soon! Always wanted to replay it.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It was alright. I wanted doing pushups in front of the mirror naked, staring yourself in the eye levels of Direct, but this was OK.

Evilms

Banned
qIkx9fr.jpg

B+ from me.

Wasn’t expecting them to smash it after a lacklustre e3, but they did.

Banjo Kazooie on NSO.
N64 controller.
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
Metroid Dread.
Bayonetta 3.
Splatoon 3.
Triangle Strategy.

Nintendo bringing the games.
B+ for that... OK 😂

That card RPG looks interesting, Triangle Strategy gave me FF Tactics vibes in a good way. Bayo 3 and Splatoon 3 looked solid IMO. The remade Actraiser is what sent it over for me.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Switch is stacked in 2022 for me.

Splatoon 3
Breath of the Wild 2 (hopefully)
Kirby of Us
Bayonetta 3
Project Rhombus Strategy
MH Sunbeam DLC

Thats a killer lineup. Best year since the Switch launch and its just getting started.

Last edited:

DonF

Gold Member
every conference that doesnt feature deathloop is a win in my book. Bayo 3 at last! No info on BotW 2 is sad. I really wanted more. A solid C.

ranmafan

It was ok, but didn’t excite me that much. Mostly just the news for Triangle Strategy excited me. And castlevania as well but we’ve known about that now for weeks so I kinda expected it to release today. Other than that most of the big announcements like Bayonetta, Kirby, and Splatoon didn’t interest me. Plus having confirmation that the n64/genesis games being locked to an extra online charge was annoying to hear. Especially since yesterday was the yearly charge for me and others for the service. Would’ve liked to know more details about the price of that before I commit to it. Still I can see why many will love this direct.

donix2010

Neo Member
B so far.
Bayonetta 3 and MH expansion did it for me.
Disappointed on how they locked up the N64 games with expansion pack.

Still great show overall.

Happy that Disco Elysium and Shadowrun are making it to the console, get more people playing some good CRPGs as long as the UI scaling is decent.

Rest was kind of middling, Bayonetta doesn't even have a date.

Last edited:

Xellos

B: Good Direct, I was only a little disappointed by the lack of Gameboy games and still no Pilotwings 64 (Banjo though!). Kirby, Bayonetta, Splatoon and Metroid all look great.

Chastten

Banned
Solid B for me. Finally a Bayonetta update and the 3D Kirby looks to be great fun. Actraiser remake was a nice surprise and I'm definitely gonna get the N64 controller for nostalgia. Not sold on the NSO upgrade cause I've barely played the NES and SNES stuff on there but whatever.

Top Bottom