• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

• It was fantastic

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 7.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 194 26.1%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 199 26.7%
  • It was poor

Votes: 151 20.3%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 131 17.6%

• Total voters
MGS collection and Dragon's Dogma 2 were the highlights for me. I already knew about Plucky Squire and have been in on that from reveal.
MGS3 remake stinks of vaporware. They will test the waters with their MGS collection first. Lets see how that turns out. Those games are a little bit more difficult to get right compared to Castlevania and Contra.

bender

What time is it?
MGS collection and Dragon's Dogma 2 were the highlights for me. I already knew about Plucky Squire and have been in on that from reveal.
MGS3 remake stinks of vaporware. They will test the waters with their MGS collection first. Lets see how that turns out. Those games are a little bit more difficult to get right compared to Castlevania and Contra.

And they did so well with the last Contra game.

I kind of expected a MGS Collection to coincide with PS+ Premium.

Last edited:

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
PS only folks in shambles. The only way forward is having access to al platforms. If this was all I had in my gaming future, I'd try to get into pogs or something.
Not sure how you came up with this?? Just because they didn’t show 1st party games in the showcase doesn’t mean they’re not going to be released.

Buggy Loop

Unbelievable phase 2

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

bender

What time is it?
Yes that shit is trash. Reloading in contra? LMAO. I was referring more to the collections they put out which are decent.

It's all about cost for Konami and casting a wide net. They announced a half dozen Silent Hill projects and handed the crown jewel (and probably the most money to) Blooper Team. They obviously want to see what sticks on the wall at this point but have don't want to make proper investments. Man, fuck Konami. I'm glad Kojima got out.

consoul

When was the last time any videogame showcase lived up to our self-inflicted hype?

You do it to yourself, you do.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Poor. Theres games I like there, Assassins Creed, Marathon, MGS, Final Fantasy and Spiderman, but other than them it was all PS Plus fodder pretty much and no news on there major 1st party studios. I know they wont come out with what there all doing but you would think we would see some of Factions from Naughty Dog by now ? To close the show with Spiderman gameplay was weak aswell, sure it looks good and will play great but its nothing new or surprising.

Big chance for Xbox to have a good showcase but I dont have much hope there, just more big Phil grinning and chatting shit.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Looks like Jim Ryan owed Phil Spencer one from a bad bet or something.

Now the Xbox showcase will look 100X better lol.

It's all about cost for Konami and casting a wide net. They announced a half dozen Silent Hill projects and handed the crown jewel (and probably the most money to) Blooper Team. They obviously want to see what sticks on the wall at this point but have don't want to make proper investments. Man, fuck Konami. I'm glad Kojima got out.
The bare minimum they should just release the collection that came out for 360 and PS3 but for modern systems and PC. That's really all I expect and would be happy with. Xbox does have BC with that but its become more difficult to own those games without relying on hardware from 2 generations+ ago.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Last thing I will say about this Showcase is it w going to have a hard time living up to the hype people had set, including myself. But leading up to this we had people saying Sony wanted to dominate, get the so called mindshare and studios were excited about this show. If all this is true we are in trouble if Sony thought this was a killer show

hinch7

Mid. Expected to see some good first party reveals. Ended up with CGI trailers that tells me nothing.

MGS 3 reveal was kind of cool as was the Alan Wake 2 gameplay. Everything else I wasn't really interested in. Maybe, apart from Concord, but no idea what that game is..

Last edited:
Not good enough to be called a "Showcase", we waited 2 years for this ? they should have divided those 60 minutes in 4 States of Play, and no disrespect but those GAAS look so generic can't believe it that Sony saw any thing positive on them... it is really deppresing if you imagine that this sorta of game with no soul or identity is replacing studios like Japan Studio, Evolution, Pixelopus...

Reactions: Isa
'you say you want 'uninspired'? well, check out the latest playstation showcase!'...

i'll likely be playing 3 of those games (all, unsurprisingly, sequels: dragon's dogma 2, alan wake 2, assassin's creed mirage). but i'm not really sure i need to experience a remade mgs3, & nothing else impressed in any way...

Don’t know what the hate is exactly. Only problem I had is the VR stuff. Spider-Man isn’t for me but it looks good. So does Hell drivers 2.

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah, was kind of a 6/10 for me.

Highlight for me was The Talos Principle 2. Never saw that comming, and I loved the first game. One of the best Puzzle games in many, many years.

And there were some good showings, like Dragons Dogma 2, Spider Man 2, The pickle Squire, and Alan Wake. But most of them were just CGI trailers, and its hard to get hyped on that. And on top of that, for some reason it seems western companies can't for the live of them make an interesting and original trailer, even the CGI ones. They all seem to... blend together. They all have a similar style of music to hype it up, the "story beats" of the trailers are all very similar, and even the catch phrases seem like they have been using them for the past 20 years. It makes for some very boring show, from an entertainment point of view.

In that sense, Nintendo Directs are still unbeatable. Their pacing, their spectacle, their sense of wonder is something that no one seem to manage to capture.

Last edited:

Woopah

I'd call it good.

New Things I'm Excited About:

-Dragon's Dogma II
-MGS3 (It will probably suck because Konami but I have to see the trianwreck)
-Sword of Sea
-Talos Principle 2
-Tower of Fantasy
-Phantom Blade

Known Quantities I'm I'm Excited About:

-Alan Wake 2
-Street Fighter VI
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Spider Man

Ports I'm Excited About

-Teardown
-MGS Collection

Things That Surprised Me:

-No Death Stranding 2
-No Teaser for a new title from Playstation Studios
-Silent Hill 2 being a no-show.

Where the Fuck is Everybody's Golf, Jim?

-Jim, where the fuck is Everybody's Golf?
But there were multiple new titles from PS Studios...
When was the last time any videogame showcase lived up to our self-inflicted hype?

You do it to yourself, you do.
The 2020 PS Showcase and Feb 2022 Nintendo Direct lived up to hype I'd say.

blackjon24

I know a lot of podcasters were excited for this showcase but honestly, my biggest disapointment is that there really isn't much to talk about

Sony tends to nail these shows, better than anyone else as far as consistency goes. Their shows are almost always stellar, and their line-up of games always excite players and journalists, equally.

This year though, something was missing... A lot was missing. This showcase was bad.

Fantastic for me, these third party game looked very interesting

• Helldivers 2
  • Immortals of Aveum
  • Ghostrunner 2
  • Phantom Blade 0
  • The Talos Principle 2
  • Teardown
  • Metal Gear Solid Triangle: Snake Eater
  • Towers of Aghasba
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Assassin’s Creed: Mirage
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Dragon’s Dogma 2
  • Five Nights at Freddy’s: Help Wanted 2
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake on PSVR2
  • Arizona Sunshine 2 on PSVR2
  • Synapse on PSVR2
And lastly Spider Man 2 was great
Helldivers 2 is a Sony IP

Baki

Sony tends to nail these shows, better than anyone else as far as consistency goes. Their shows are almost always stellar, and their line-up of games always excite players and journalists, equally.

This year though, something was missing... A lot was missing. This showcase was bad.
It was the lack of 1st party. All this show needed was a TLOU online and maybe a Twisted Metal showcase to make it very good. It was like a meal with no salt.

drotahorror

Gonna go with medicore, almost poor honestly. I didn't have many expectations (wanted to see Wolverine, maybe something from Naughty Dog as well).

Sony does not have to try anymore tbh get ready for this same lame showcase level of hype in about 3 years when Sony decides to do another “showcase” again. There is no reason to ever be hype again. This is the company with 0 incentive to try anymore.

Top Bottom