• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, how much do you guys think Death Stranding 2 will sell?

How much?

• Total voters

Klosshufvud

I think the coming trailers will hype it up immensely and the reviews will probably great. That alone will secure a decent baseline. Probably similar sales as the first game. Which will be considered a huge success internally.

If it sold 10 million, I imagine that would enable Kojima to make whatever he wants.

Why is he still signing exclusivity deals?
He has a long standing good relationship with Sony. KojiPro does not have the publishing/marketing power of a publically traded multi billion dollar corporation. It is probably of mutual benefit that Sony lends its immense resources and he still gets to release on PC later (via 505) and keep the rights. Sony gave him a good deal.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I feel there's a lot of meat left on this particular bone, so I'd expect the sequel to be a step up the way MGS2 expanded upon MGS. Kojima always seems to strive to top himself, so I doubt this will be any different.

Luipadre

Fuck Death Stranding.
Incredulous Questioning GIF

Kerotan

For comparison Death Stranding 1 has sold 10+ million copies across 3 platforms.

There was much more hype back in 2019, it was Kojima's new game post Konami after all but also a lot of people got turned off after playing the first one and finding the gameplay kinda meh.
Tbf that number is a little inflated by the €10 ps5 upgrade.

I'm guessing a little less because a lot bought the first game not realising what they were getting in for. I personally loved it though.

Sleepwalker

If I were a successful studio I would wanna own and grow the IP, no??

He pitched the idea to Sony, Sony said yes Hideo do whatever you want we will foot the bill. Now Sony owns the IP and footed the bill for a sequel.

There are many reasons for this, publishing a game takes more effort on top of developing, negotiating deals with retail stores, printing discs, negotiating deals with online stores, footing the marketing campaign etc.

People really came around to it so I think it'll do well. Look at Steam reviews and many Director's Cut reviews if you still think this is somehow some maligned failure.

Rac3r

I liked DS1, but won't be picking up 2.

TOTK effect. I've already played the game.
What? We haven’t even seen in-game footage yet. Highly doubt it’ll be the same gameplay loop, based on how the first game ends. It wouldn’t make sense.

Gojiira

The people who dropped it missed out on one of the games of the generation and something genuinely unique.
DS2 trailer was hype as fuck, it will sell more than the first for sure.

drotahorror

I'm still workin on the first one. Played the intro a couple times, I enjoy the game and know what it is and I'm down, but just haven't had the motivation lately.

RaduN

I feel there's a lot of meat left on this particular bone, so I'd expect the sequel to be a step up the way MGS2 expanded upon MGS. Kojima always seems to strive to top himself, so I doubt this will be any different.

Basically this ^

It will at least sell about the same as the first, which i think is more ~ 8 mil rather than 10.

We have no fucking clue where the story might be headed next (New species? Humans from the future? A complety different dimension? Wtf?), so that alone is worth the price of admission in a Kojima game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
What? We haven’t even seen in-game footage yet. Highly doubt it’ll be the same gameplay loop, based on how the first game ends. It wouldn’t make sense.
If it was a different game, it wouldn't be Death Stranding 2.

Like I said. I enjoyed the game and even got plat on it, but I don't want to play it again.

JayK47

Plus one from me. And I did not buy the first game. Got it free on Epic and it is one of the best games I have ever played. I am very interested in what will happen in 2.

Robb

Gold Member
If it’s more of the same, my guess is less.

This is Kojima though.. So there’ll probably be nothing safe about this and I expect the extremely weird trailers to start airing sooner or later. I’m sure he’ll come up with stuff that makes you wonder what the hell is happening all over again.

Three

It's a tough question. The first released on PS4, PS5 and PC. We have no information about the second. For all we know it could come to even more platforms. The first was put on PS+ extra/Premium and PC GP. Would that translate to more people possibly buying the sequel or less? I really don't know to be honest. It's very difficult to guess but I'm going to go with about the same if they go with PS5/PC.

Zathalus

The first game was extremely polarizing so I'd expect less sales. Of course if the sequel turns out to be a 95+ masterpiece that might change things.

Dthomp

I'll buy it, and at the end of the day..that's what I care about, don't care what others do with their time. I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of it

If I were a successful studio I would wanna own and grow the IP, no??

Depends on his financials and where he thinks the title will have the best chance. PlayStation is a pretty good option when it comes to all the services they offer and the size of the user base. Not to mention they let him use a 1st Party engine which helped him out a lot.

Shubh_C63

Given people knew what they were going into the PC version, it still saw good sales.

So now that expectations are in check of what DS will be, 5 Million LT sales. Just about the same as the first one.

Depends on his financials and where he thinks the title will have the best chance. PlayStation is a pretty good option when it comes to all the services they offer and the size of the user base. Not to mention they let him use a 1st Party engine which helped him out a lot.

Look at how much Bungie was sold for.

Compare this with how much Insomniac got sold for. He is going Insomniac way.

Sony is good to work for if you want easy way out without owning anything.

Someone who made a 10 million seller new ip I would expect him to be a bit more...ambitious??

Umbral

I think it’ll sell more. Kojima always gets a purchase from me. We haven’t seen gameplay as far as I’m aware. I think Kojima will surprise us again.

Hudo

Kojima is the master of hype and marketing. It will sell well enough.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I think it will sell less than the first because people know what to expect now. In the first game, many people over the internet made speculations, tried to decipher the trailers etc, that’s not the case now.

RaduN

I think it will sell less than the first because people know what to expect now. In the first game, many people over the internet made speculations, tried to decipher the trailers etc, that’s not the case now.
Just a thought...maybe wait until the actual trailers are out in full force 🥴 The hardcore conspirationists are graphics whores will be all over it, just as always with K's games.

BootsLoader

Banned
Just a thought...maybe wait until the actual trailers are out in full force 🥴 The hardcore conspirationists are graphics whores will be all over it, just as always with K's games.
Yeah. To be honest I loved the first game so I will probably play the second game also. But I acknowledge that this game is not for everyone and it is not too mainstream.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm still at a loss as to how any game this boring with a "star" like Norman Reedus could sell 10 copies, let alone 10 million.

RaduN

Yeah. To be honest I loved the first game so I will probably play the second game also. But I acknowledge that this game is not for everyone and it is not too mainstream.
No Kojma game was ever "mainstream". MGS series, while popular among hardcore gamers, never really went mainstream (Fifa, Gta, Mario etc). I'd say they are the best selling niché games ever made.
Death Stranding seems to have actually ended up being the best selling Kojima game ever, along MGS2.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  1. Correction: Death Stranding 1 did not sell 10 million copies. This figure includes PC Game Pass and Epic giveaway and PS+ numbers.
  2. By July 2021, it had sold 5 million copies. I suspect Part 2 will also sell 5+ million copies.

BootsLoader

Banned
No Kojma game was ever "mainstream". MGS series, while popular among hardcore gamers, never really went mainstream (Fifa, Gta, Mario etc). I'd say they are the best selling niché games ever made.
Death Stranding seems to have actually ended up being the best selling Kojima game ever, along MGS2.
While you’re right, MGS series made Kojima the person he is today. As for sales numbers, I don’t know how well the MGS series sold but by googling it I found out that Phantom Pain almost sold 10 millions which is more than DS. The sales numbers that everyone is talking about is ps plus also.

Flutta

Banned
Hope it sells as much as needed, we need those type of games. Loved the first one and can’t wait for the second one.

Fabieter

It depends on the reception I think. If they change it up a bit and get somehow a 90+ metacritic it will sell better than part 1 for sure.

RaduN

Yeah, seems Phantom Pain might have ended up selling the best out of the MGS series, though MGS2, with all the re-reases probably still holds the No1 spot.
Maybe some updated Death Stranding overall sales numbers, will come to light soon.

Top Bottom