• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Gaming Tech (RGT): The PS5 has a custom feature to be found in future RDNA 3 Cards.

What do you think? Is it true that the PS5 has a custom feature to be found in future RDNA 3 cards?

• Total voters

Krisprolls

Banned

From an ex-sony dev

Ah ah, he's a long time Xbox fanboy. What's next ? Timdog ?

Some Xbox fans seem more interested in PS5 hardware than PS5 fans themselves. They definitely should buy a PS5 for their peace of mind. You know you can order one, yeah ? Come play with us and stop arguing about technical tags you don't understand at all.

I can't understand this stupid debate about RDNA version number. It makes zero sense, any platform maker may use a similar or better custom solution they made themselves of any RDNA feature, like they do all the time.

Look at the results, the results only. If Hellblade 2 or Demon's Souls looks great, who cares the RDNA version number or the way they achieved that ? Unless you're trying to get a dev job at AMD maybe...

Last edited:
Seeing this thread i can only imagine the theme music of x files playing while sony fans post all this nonsense, maybe a new case for fox mulder and dana scully?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

From an ex-sony dev

Same guy who told a lot of BS months ago and tried to damage control what he said? He also seems to follow the biggest Xbox fanboys on twitter?

Yeah, that's him. lol

This guy doesn't even have a dev kit and said PS5 would struggle in open world games. It's obvious why XboxGAF would believe everything he says.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ah ah, he's a long time Xbox fanboy. What's next ? Timdog ?

Some Xbox fans seem more interested in PS5 hardware than PS5 fans themselves. They definitely should buy a PS5 for their peace of mind. You know you can order one, yeah ? Come play with us and stop arguing about technical tags you don't understand at all.

I can't understand this stupid passion for RDNA version number. It makes zero sense, any platform maker may use a similar or better custom solution they made themselves of any feature, like they do all the time.

Guy's a tester, who got elevated to doing design bits at Sony. Got let go and has never had a job in the industry since.

In short: Not technically competent to do more than pass along scuttlebutt, not a great success in his chosen field of endeavor, and a person who may well have an axe to grind against his former employer. Credibility low as a result.

Armorian

Banned
RGT is sounding like the 2020 version of Misterxmedia and his stacked GPU secret sauce.

He leaked a lot of correct info on RDNA 2 PC GPUs so his sources are good. PS consoles always had stuff that was going to be implemented in future AMD GPUs, stock GCN 1.0 for X1 and Polaris for X1X and PS4 had GCN 1.1 prototype and Polaris with some Vega features in it for Pro.

rnlval

XSX and PS5 are APUs, 6000 card are GPUs. not all designs are interchangeable. Infinity Cache seems like something to reduce latency between CPU/GPU in a PC.
BiG NAVI's very fast 128 MB Infinity Cache is based on Zen 2's Level 3 cache IP, hence it has its own data retention behavior.

SRAM cache is not built the same.

Shmunter

Any future PC RDNA 3 can claim "full RDNA 2" when it's a superset of RDNA 2.
It will be back compatible, but with a different collection of evolved tech features. Some will stay the same, but not all - otherwise it would just be RDNA2.

rnlval

It will be back compatible, but with a different collection of evolved tech features. Some will stay the same, but not all - otherwise it would just be RDNA2.
Both RDNA 2 and future RDNA 3 still runs on the native RDNA instruction set.

RDNA and RDNA 2 = GFX10 family. RX 6800's RDNA 2 GFX1030 a superset of RX 5700 XT's RDNA 1 GFX1010 .

Smoke6

That's just throwing obivuous shit and see which sticks imo
Nobody thought a god of war sequel would be ready by next year bruh! Fuck outta here with that shit!

the downplaying of someone with legit info and sources is fucking crazy! No need to argue with dudes like you anymore as we if this was about Xbox...

longdi

Banned
Nobody thought a god of war sequel would be ready by next year bruh! Fuck outta here with that shit!

the downplaying of someone with legit info and sources is fucking crazy! No need to argue with dudes like you anymore as we if this was about Xbox...

? MLID got it from RGT.
RGT probably heard it from Matt the former SCE software engineer, whom he invited on his show.

I watched a few MLID videos long before he got into next gen consoles rumors.
I standby my claims, he is throwing shit to see which sticks, his sauces are from 4chan,wcftech,vidzcardz which gets from chinese forums chiphell/bilibili,reddit,youtube,neogaf->internet->neogaf,twitter
aka he has no insider sources.

Unless you are MLID, i dont get your angst? 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Lethal01

? MLID got it from RGT.
RGT probably heard it from Matt the former SCE software engineer, whom he invited on his show.

I watched a few MLID videos long before he got into next gen consoles rumors.
I standby my claims, he is throwing shit to see which sticks, his sauces are from 4chan,wcftech,vidzcardz which gets from chinese forums chiphell/bilibili,reddit,youtube,neogaf->internet->neogaf,twitter
aka he has no insider sources.

Unless you are MLID, i dont get your angst? 🤷‍♀️

Regardless of if he shares wrong rumors, what was said in that specific clip was accurate and backed up by things that have been officially said.

Posting it in video form just makes it easier for the guys who seem to have a hard time reading.

MLID added this update:

Morre'sLawisDead said:
I feel the need to firmly clarify a few things after seeing so many Sony & XBOX fanboys go crazy with my console rant (and misquote the shit out of it):

1) NEITHER CONSOLE strictly has any exact version of desktop RDNA 1, RDNA 2, RDNA 3, or RDNA 9. These are custom devices that frankly cannot be exactly compared to desktop generations.

2) Sony still hasn't officially confirmed everything inside the PS5 APU (and they may never do it). However we CAN be sure the XSX does not have Infinity Cache...nor the ROP counts of Big Navi.

3) Based on the size of the PS5 die - it is unlikely to have the same sort (or size) of infinity cache the desktop RDNA 2 chips have...however it does have a custom cache setup & cache scrubbers.

4) The cache scrubbers in the PS5 (that are NOT in the XSX) are almost certainly used to reduce cache misses so the die doesn't NEED as much cache as desktop RDNA 2 for a similar effect.

5) The PS5 has arch tweaks for VR, Geometry Culling, Asset Streaming from the SSD, and boosting features that multiple sources state won't be on PC till RDNA 3...or later. It's not literally RDNA 3.

6) The XSX also has some unique tweaks for VRS & Ray Tracing that sound different from RDNA 2, and possibly more advanced than the desktop chips. In other words, neither console is RDNA 1.5 or 2.5, and both have some unique features to boost performance that the desktop cards don't have (The 6900XT is still definitely "Stronger" than both consoles though lol). However the PS5 was built from the ground up specifically to run next gen games that were not possible before, and the (more expensive to produce) XBOX had parts of its design tweaked so it could be used to stream multiple 1080p gaming instances (google it). This fundamental distinction in intended use cannot be understated in importance when it comes to understanding why the XSX may underperform gaming expectations relative to the cheaper to produce PS5.

Very interesting.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Well, Moore law is dead is saying the same thing, as well xbox not having infinity cache.

This is really going to be interesting, apparently XBOX team wanted to have more TF on paper for marketing purposes and considering how xbox fans made the 13TF a tattoo on their foreheads it actually worked.

Anyways, only time will confirm or not these leaks.

Pathetic

Concern

Well, Moore law is dead is saying the same thing, as well xbox not having infinity cache.

This is really going to be interesting, apparently XBOX team wanted to have more TF on paper for marketing purposes and considering how xbox fans made the 13TF a tattoo on their foreheads it actually worked.

Anyways, only time will confirm or not these leaks.

My point exactly lol. A new tweeter emerge. Fanboys are so naive and desperate at the same time. MS + AMD already shut that up. Now hope Ps5 ain't all smoke and mirrors like the 2tf ps3 or PS4 Pro doubling to 8.4 tf lol.

Edit: Only 800 followers lmao

Last edited:
Isn’t this the game “designer” that has not worked at Sony in a long while and already seemed to have a somewhat not too too love-love situation with Sony? 🤔.

The same guy who said that the PS5 would have a problem with open world games (the one with the much superior I/O subsystems...right...), before retracting his statement. Also the one who had heard that the difference between the two consoles was, and I quote, “staggering”...The guy is so full of shit, it is actually comical to see him have a go at it.

Bluntman

Didn't the Xbox 360 have some GPU or CPU features at the time of its release that no PC had? I might be misremembering that. If so it's definitely possible.

Yes, it's GPU had unified shaders which came to PC months later.

PS5 has every GPU hardware capability the XSX has, the technologies built on top of them just have different names, or no specific names whatsoever. Microsoft is using DirectX 12 features as a marketing tool here. They are technically right tho, the PS5 won't have them, because the PS5 doesn't use DirectX 12, but it's PR speech nevertheless.

PS5 can most certainly have many custom things, some of which could end up in RDNA 3. So it's not that PS5 has RDNA 3 features, rather the opposite.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Stop posting MLiD please. Dude is full of shit. He might get one out of a hundred rumors right. That's it.

All it takes is 1 developer with a latest ps5 dev kit to spill beans.

If its true, there will be more in coming weeks, If its bullshit, there will not be anymore mention of this.

There are a number of twitter users who leak PC parts saying similar things, but we wait for better information for sure. (Kitty / Rogame circle). But again just gossip.

Cant keep secrets forever, it will all come out anyway.

For my part, I do not know so I am on the fence. Wait and see.

Last edited:
All it takes is 1 developer with a latest ps5 dev kit to spill beans.

If its true, there will be more in coming weeks, If its bullshit, there will not be anymore mention of this.

There are a number of twitter users who leak PC parts saying similar things, but we wait for better information for sure. (Kitty / Rogame circle). But again just gossip.

Cant keep sectets forever, it will all come out anyway.
Yeah next few weeks someone will X-ray the PS5 APU and we'll know what the heck is in that chip.

geordiemp

Yeah next few weeks someone will X-ray the PS5 APU and we'll know what the heck is in that chip.

Dont even need that, Just AMD to follow up with white paper on this slide and there it is if you read each point carefully and understand the direction and meaning.

P6Ne4XV.png

Last edited:

From an ex-sony dev

Someone being dev means nothing. They could be devs and do something really minor in the company.

Long term hobbyist with passion for hardware probably knows more than most regular devs.

And this "full rdna2" is just retarded, when some take it as == best

Just shows how little they understand

Dont even need that, Just AMD to follow up with white paper on this slide and there it is if you read each point carefully and understand the direction and meaning.

P6Ne4XV.png

Just hoping Sony releases a pic of the APU soon so we don't have to rely on poor scans from enthusiasts.

Lort

Banned
Yes, it's GPU had unified shaders which came to PC months later.

PS5 has every GPU hardware capability the XSX has, the technologies built on top of them just have different names, or no specific names whatsoever. Microsoft is using DirectX 12 features as a marketing tool here. They are technically right tho, the PS5 won't have them, because the PS5 doesn't use DirectX 12, but it's PR speech nevertheless.

PS5 can most certainly have many custom things, some of which could end up in RDNA 3. So it's not that PS5 has RDNA 3 features, rather the opposite.
We know for sure the ps5 certainly does not have every gpu hardware feature the xsx has would you like me to list them or are you capable of looking it up yourself?

gspat

I'm sure that, in some aspects, "Full RDNA2" is going to be considered a drawback when customization and enhancements are being done on both sides.

Three

The sad part about talks of RDNA this and that is that people throw around buzzwords (mostly coined by MS/AMD) without actually understanding what they mean on a hardware/software level. All they understand are numbers and buzzwords.

This guy doesn't even have a dev kit and said PS5 would struggle in open world games. It's obvious why XboxGAF would believe everything he says.
If you were to listen to some of these people the ps5 is less powerful than the PS4, maybe it's as good as the PS4 pro... But that's stretching it.

longdi

Banned
If you were to listen to some of these people the ps5 is less powerful than the PS4, maybe it's as good as the PS4 pro... But that's stretching it.

which people said that?
Its the other way round imo. Since Amd 28Oct event (or non-event for those hoping for certain unveil), the narratives have quickly switched to 'XSX is old and dated and weaker than PS5.' :messenger_pensive:

Thank god most of us know the reality from fud attempts.

Hairsplash

Why is it FUD if you dont understand, why cant you just politely ask ? What is the problem with you ?

Here is an explanation and the discussion on the 6800 low binning. AMD have disabled 1/4 die and binned heavily on die space and freqency, but more to be learned..

Try learning something before shouting FUD ,. Jesus.

so the xsx (54cu) is a 6800, (with 1 WG missing in each block... so 18 cu’s x 3) or two thirds or 66.6 (lol) percent of a 6800xt
so the xbox series S is 20cu, which is a quarter of a full 6900xt...
the split memory stuff in the xbox’es probably can be explained but the memory mapping of the cu’s...
(custom?)

a ps5 is a half of a 6800xt with lisa su “brand” of “hot sauce”... lol

Last edited:

geordiemp

so the xsx (54cu) is a 6800, (with 1 WG missing in each block... so 18 cu’s x 3)
so the xbox series S is 20cu, which is a quarter of a full 6900xt...
the split memory stuff in the xbox’es probably can be explained but the memory mapping of the cu’s...
(custom?)

a ps5 is a half of a 6800xt with lisa su “brand” of “hot sauce”... lol

No, not even close. They are all chips though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom