• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LordCBH

Open the menu to check my weapon and my game suddenly starts running in single digit fps until I close the menu. High 1440p and this game is pretty fucking ugly. I understand the scores.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Playable but does not pop like the vita or the switch oled (even though you can cheat a bit with vibrant deck).But it has renewed my interest in pc gaming and tweaking.I spent days downloading roms emulating basically everything installi,g gog and epic games.
You'll have to get used to linux but once the first few painful steps it starts to click and you can play so much games...It's like a portable pc, I use it to stream from my ps5 too.So emulators, gog, gamepas(streaming) epic and ps (now and remote play) really make it complete
Have you tranferred games from your pc on thr deck, if so how? Micro sd card?

simpatico

Played up until right after the first vampire. Game just doesn't feel like anyone's vision. Like no one loved it. It was just something to make. But there is enough latent Arkane DNA that it'll make you a little sad to play it. Like seeing an old friend limping along in pain. It's almost functional, but I picked up some shmups on sale over the weekend and it's not even close.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wow... I pre-loaded this game and for some moments I thought about playing it tonight, but in the end I decided to play They are Billions.

I got lucky.

I didn't expect much from this game in the first place, but low 60 on metacritic....

Season 3 Reaction GIF by American Gods
Billions is such a better game

I honestly hate that I even tried it at this point getting 2 characters to the downed choppers because like clockwork Greenburg will Tweet next week what a massive success it was with X million of people playing and I was one of them

LastBattle

I get that, but did you really expect anything good in regards to this game? I mean.... was anyone honestly excited when watching the first trailer?
Honestly, I couldn't care less when I first saw the trailer, however I've been following Redfall since the reveal trailer and expected a solid game considering the pedigree of Arkane and was hoping MS would deliver. However seems what we got was a very average if not broken mess of a game. It's not necessarily that I was excited for Redfall, it's that I'm seeing a pattern from xbox and it's tiresome. I don't want to reward complacency.

FrankWza

Played up until right after the first vampire. Game just doesn't feel like anyone's vision. Like no one loved it. It was just something to make. But there is enough latent Arkane DNA that it'll make you a little sad to play it. Like seeing an old friend limping along in pain. It's most functional, but I picked up some shmups on sale over the weekend and it's not even close.
This makes it sound like an algorithm Netflix movie

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Have you tranferred games from your pc on thr deck, if so how? Micro sd card?
I haven't simply because I play mstly indie games on pc so downloading them was quite fast but watched how it is done and seems to work well.
Yep bought a 512 SD and bought the 64Go version because the other versions sems too expensive, at worst I'l buy a bigger SD if needed.I'm halfway there but installed 4 switch games 10 ps3 and everything I wanted from nes,snes,mastersystem,megadrive gamecube ps2, wii, neogeo, cps1&2.And emudeck scrapping those games with a video preview is awesome and easy to use.

Edit: keep in mind that you can't install some games natively because of anti cheat (but if you dual boot with win10 they work)

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I was somewhat hyped for this early on as I was looking for a new co-op with my XBox friends.

However, I did see the writing on the wall. Honestly, the scores thus far are higher than I was expecting. May even get better with a patch, optimization, DLC, etc.

I'll still give it a whirl but my updated expectations are in check.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I haven't simply because I play mstly indie games on pc so downloading them was quite fast but watched how it is done and seems to work well.
Yep bought a 512 SD and bought the 64Go version because the other versions sems too expensive, at worst I'l buy a bigger SD if needed.I'm halfway there but installed 4 switch games 10 ps3 and everything I wanted from nes,snes,mastersystem,megadrive gamecube ps2, wii, neogeo, cps1&2.And emudeck scrapping those games with a video preview is awesome and easy to use.

Edit: keep in mind that you can't install some games natively because of anti cheat (but if you dual boot with win10 they work)
Sounds like a dream, deff buying one now, any good guides/ youtube channels you reccomend to start up for emulation, cracked games etc?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah, this needed another year in the oven. Looks and plays rough as fuck, you get glimpses of what might have been but they are few and far between. I'm 3 hours in and im giving up.

I think they just decided to cut their losses on this one.

Pressures really on MS now. Starfield and Forza need to deliver.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It bears repeating Ybarra told me when they got the email Jimmie was taking over Playstation Mike and Phil cracked open a bottle of scotch (I think it was scotch) and had a drink in celebration saying Jimmie would run PS into the ground

The same Phil who greenlit the first Halo video that gave us Craig and thought that shit looked good

And now this
lmao. In fairness, Jimbo has tried. 2 years of cross gen games, dumb investments in GaaS studios who have yet to produce anything, greedy price increases on both software and hardware, and insanely dumb timed exclusives like Godfall, Deathloop and Ghostwire tokyo are stuff his predecessors would never tolerate. He's just been lucky that Sony first party is now almost as popular as Nintendo first party, and Sony has a brand that seems to be infallible to any kind of bad news. I was shocked to see sales go UP after the Activision acquisition. I had figured people wouldve begun switching before the deal ran into trouble.

I guess he does deserve some credit for it all seeing as how he's been in charge for a good 5 years now. He's somehow managed to buy Bungie, finally lock in Insomniac, Bluepoint, Housemarque, and several other studios like Nixxes for doing PC ports which frees up devs like Insomniac to focus on Playstation development. And of course, the sales speak for themselves. I guess both Philbo and I got this one wrong.

Nydius

Gold Member
Watched Karak, MrMattyPlays, and GmanLives and my verdict is: I'm not wasting SSD space on this.

This is more jank than game and it doesn't even have any visuals to justify the jank. People who say it looks like a PS3 game are being hyperbolic but it isn't too far from the truth to say it looks like an early XBO/PS4 game. Sunset Overdrive has more visual prowess than Redfall and that shit is a 2014 game. Granted, it's third person rather than first but c'mon. There's no excuse for this level of lackluster visual design and sheer amount of bugs in 2023.

A1RnOpH.jpg

LordCBH

The annoying thing at the beginning is when you kill the vampire and meet the civilians. For some weird reason, you have to meet them in order. Annoying as hell. Not a good way to start the game.

Also you have a lesbian reverend. Oh gosh. How cutting edge.

I was annoyed when I opened the door after killing the first vampire and the game decided “image montage with crap music AND THEN IT WARPED ME BACK TO THE BASEMENT AND SAID CLIMB BACK UP AGAIN. Like what the fuck

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didn't see that but I did see something similar and couldn't believe it.

Then about 15 seconds later the texture loaded.

It's a shame, you can see what they're trying to do in the first few minutes, but as soon as you encounter an enemy it goes to pot.

100% not ready for release.
There were videos posted of Star Wars PS5 version from the review copies that had the exact same issue. It was patched on the Day 0 patch so we never saw it.

Technically redfall hasnt released yet so its possible they fix it by tomorrow.

Why Xbox games have 6-7 score?

GHG

Gold Member
Sounds like a dream, deff buying one now, any good guides/ youtube channels you reccomend to start up for emulation, cracked games etc?

Come over to the steam deck OT:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/steam-deck-ot-nintendo-switch-2.1632714/

I've posted a specific guide there to getting xbox 360 games up and running on it but in general you want to start with emudeck, use this guys guides, I've found them to be the best out there:

https://youtube.com/@ED4T

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sounds like a dream, deff buying one now, any good guides you reccomend to start up for emulation, cracked games etc?
Emu deck , you'll just need like 5 bios to dl, for cracked games ,I haven't tried yet but they should work once you get the hang of how to install them.There's a lot of tweaking possible and needed but if you are curious you'll get used ot it.
It reminded me the first time I got my own computer soending time seeing what you can or can't do (at least can't yet with your knowledge).
But yeah to give you an example of how easy it is to use once accustomed I spend some time wityh my girlfriend family this week end and they had a blast playing the games they did when they were young (or younger for some), what is more surprising is that they are very old fashioned but still loved the thing(they even asked me to dl specific games for the next time).

LordCBH

Scalebound was likely amazing.

I mean the greater weight of evidence is that no one at Microsoft can recognize a good game during development.

At the very least it couldn’t be much worse than some of Platinums other efforts over the years. They seem to have more misses than hits.

Also couldn’t be worse than crackdown 3.

Watched Karak, MrMattyPlays, and GmanLives and my verdict is: I'm not wasting SSD space on this.

This is more jank than game and it doesn't even have any visuals to justify the jank. People who say it looks like a PS3 game are being hyperbolic but it isn't too far from the truth to say it looks like an early XBO/PS4 game. Sunset Overdrive has more visual prowess than Redfall and that shit is a 2014 game. Granted, it's third person rather than first but c'mon. There's no excuse for this level of lackluster visual design and sheer amount of bugs in 2023.

A1RnOpH.jpg

Friggin love that game , still have my day one physical copy

simpatico

Does anyone know the name of the studio the Arkane talent left for? They really had a special thing going. Despite the huge differences, Dishonored and Prey had the same DNA. In Redfall it's there, but kinda splattered on the walls. Like Microsoft did a piece of depressing post modern art and pained it with Arkane's blood.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Reactions: GHG

FrankWza

lmao. In fairness, Jimbo has tried. 2 years of cross gen games, dumb investments in GaaS studios who have yet to produce anything, greedy price increases on both software and hardware, and insanely dumb timed exclusives like Godfall, Deathloop and Ghostwire tokyo are stuff his predecessors would never tolerate. He's just been lucky that Sony first party is now almost as popular as Nintendo first party, and Sony has a brand that seems to be infallible to any kind of bad news. I was shocked to see sales go UP after the Activision acquisition. I had figured people wouldve begun switching before the deal ran into trouble.

I guess he does deserve some credit for it all seeing as how he's been in charge for a good 5 years now. He's somehow managed to buy Bungie, finally lock in Insomniac, Bluepoint, Housemarque, and several other studios like Nixxes for doing PC ports which frees up devs like Insomniac to focus on Playstation development. And of course, the sales speak for themselves. I guess both Philbo and I got this one wrong.
Unless the recent first party sales dip is an aberration I think the biggest mistake may be the tiered subs. People waiting for sub inclusion is dangerous. I really hope the conditioning hasn't started.

SZips

Posted this elsewhere but I'm sharing it here too. Regarding performance on PC:

Average framerate is "fine" on my 5900X paired with a 1080 Ti on 1440p with Medium/High settings. Above 60 in the little bit I've played. It's fine, whatever.

But holy... shit. Can we PLEASE stop using Unreal Engine 4 already? If you're going to use that, then put in a goddamn shader precompile at first launch. I cannot believe that time and time again we are STILL running into this shader stutter during traversal. How many games now have had this issue that then had to be patched to fix this very specific issue after release? How is this STILL A THING?!

GHG

Gold Member
Does anyone know the name of the studio the Arkane talent left for? They really had a special thing going. Despite the huge differences, Dishonored and Prey had the same DNA. In Redfall it's there, but kinda splattered on the walls. Like Microsoft did a piece of depressing post modern art and pained it with Arkane's blood.

Wolfeye studios, they made an immersive sim called weird west. It's pretty rough around the edges but the classic Arkane DNA is definitely there. There's a demo on steam if you want to try it, don't know about other platforms:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Top Bottom