• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Exhibit A: I rated Redfall a 6/10
Exhibit B: I purchased God of War Ragnarok for full price but dropped it after 10 hours because I was bored with it.

Sentence: Death

Just inform the mods and get it over with. You've proven your case beyond a shadow of a doubt. Everyone knows it's literally impossible to be bored with a polished game with high production values. Checkmate.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Rent free and butthurt.

Sorry games like Redfall are what you're forced to enjoy.

GHG

What are you guys even fighting about above? Let them play the games they want GHG.

People should have standards. It's a basic principle of life and I'm not going to be a bystander watching people excuse substandard crap which only has the net effect of dragging standards down across the whole industry.

When companies get excused and rewarded for this kind of work it sends the wrong signal - "Redfall did it, they got away with it and still made money so who cares".

Some of us were here to try and push back on DLC, microtransactions, lootboxes, crappy PC ports, etc and look at how all of that has turned out.

When a small proportion of people live in mud huts and shit on the street it makes the whole neighbourhood smell.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People should have standards. It's a basic principle of life and I'm not going to be a bystander watching people excuse substandard crap which only has the net effect of dragging standards down across the whole industry.

When companies get excused and rewarded for this kind of work it sends the wrong signal - "Redfall did it, they got away with it and still made money so who cares".

Some of us were here to try and push back on DLC, microtransactions, lootboxes, crappy PC ports, etc and look at how all of that has turned out.

When a small proportion of people live in mud huts and shit on the street it makes the whole neighbourhood smell.
The console warrior manifesto.

Bridges

Two things can be true at once:

1. The game is not as bad as the internet is making it out to be
2. The game is really bad

It's an optics thing. The game is being grilled a lot harder than it would be had it not been coming from a first party, but really, there's nothing unfair about that. They should be held to a higher standard. You'd never see Nintendo or Sony release a "AAA" game in this state. Even Bethesda doesn't typically release games this bad, closest comparison I have is Wolfenstein: Youngblood but that game is better than this.

That all being said, I do think some people are a little too delighted to see how poorly this has been received.

Any time some piece of shit game is pooped onto gamepass you can always count on the same handful of people to say any (combination) of the following:
  • "I'm having fun"
  • "It's fun with friends!"
  • “bUt hAvE yOu AcTuALlY pLaYeD iT"
It's fucking sad. Not only do you clearly not have any standards for yourself in terms of what you decide to spend your time playing, but you also have no standards for the platform who are forcing you to defend this crap.

The more you do it, the worse it gets. You get what you deserve.

“It’s fine “

The comments on that article...ThE coMmENtssSSs !
It's like, everyone is brainwashed - or worse yet, everyone is trying to cope by scoring an imaginary "win" for their plastic box of choice, it's REALLY something else, I can't even...

They want positivity but underneath it all they create the least positive environment because nothing or no one has aspirations to be better.

It wouldn’t surprise me if their is some underhanded Astroturfing as a counter offensive to the negativity.

If things were genuinely great they wouldn’t be behaving how they are. It’s all there for everyone to see.

Yoboman

The announcement a few days ago was that Redfall made $3 million on Steam in three days. If that's true and the Steam price is $70, that means 3,000,000x.70.

That means that in three days just on Steam and nowhere else, Redfall sold 2.1 million copies, pretty good.
Your math is wrong you need to multiply 3 million by 70, which means that Redfall has sold 210 million copies

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

G, I get what you're trying to say but...let's use Death Stranding in this case, a game which had :
- State of the art graphics
- Excellent OST
- Interesting new mechanics/tried new things
- Bonkers story which also tried some new things/strayed from normal video game cliches
- Had ACTUAL gameplay and not only "walking" like stealth and action bits plus, ginormous boss-battles.

...and what happened ? the usual hate circle jerking with people spouting "Kojima is a hack ! " / "Kojima lost it ! " / "60 Eurodollars Walking simulator LOL " / " Enjoy your 50 hour walking sim Sony ponies LMFAO !1!1 " ad infinitum...
Even if you dared to reply "have you actually played the fucking game ? " ('cause 99% were drawing their "opinion" from YouTube videos) you were met with replies in the vein of "LOL why/how are you even enjoying it?" it's like...you weren't even allowed by these people to actually enjoy the game - the same "low standards" excuse was used by them, like, it was impossible for them to even comprehend that the game was enjoyable and/or that you actually were having fun with it...
Just the other day, a "warrior" in this very forum used DS in a "warZ list" as to "demonstrate" how shit some Sony releases have been in the past also 😁

What I'm trying to say is...some times there's assholes and trolls, sometimes circle jerking and hate brigades are inevitable when it comes to "shit game of the month" (most recently Forspoken and Redfall) and sometimes is all a matter of perspective.
You can enjoy mediocre games , telling others though that they should or shouldn't like something is no bueno though, just saying bro...

Cheers

Last edited:

GHG

G, I get what you're trying to say but...let's use Death Stranding in this case, a game which had :
- State of the art graphics
- Excellent OST
- Interesting new mechanics/tried new things
- Bonkers story which also tried some new things/strayed from normal video game cliches
- Had ACTUAL gameplay and not only "walking" like stealth and action bits plus, ginormous boss-battles.

...and what happened ? the usual hate circle jerking with people spouting "Kojima is a hack ! " / "Kojima lost it ! " / "60 Eurodollars Walking simulator LOL " / " Enjoy your 50 hour walking sim Sony ponies LMFAO !1!1 " ad infinitum...
Even if you dared to reply "have you actually played the fucking game ? " ('cause 99% were drawing their "opinion" from YouTube videos) you were met with replies in the vein of "LOL why/how are you even enjoying it?" it's like...you weren't even allowed by these people to actually enjoy the game - the same "low standards" excuse was used by them, like, it was impossible for them to even comprehend that the game was enjoyable and/or that you actually were having fun with it...
Just the other day, a "warrior" in this very forum used DS in a "warZ list" as to "demonstrate" how shit some Sony releases have been in the past also 😁

What I'm trying to say is...some times there's assholes and trolls, sometimes circle jerking and hate brigades are inevitable when it comes to "shit game of the month" (most recently Forspoken and Redfall) and sometimes is all a matter of perspective.
You can enjoy mediocre games , telling others though that they should or shouldn't like something is no bueno though, just saying bro...

Cheers

Incredible false equivalence.

Death Stranding is an expertly crafted game and it comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference in terms of whether an individual wll enjoy the experience or not. In some areas it's best in class in terms of its execution and does a lot of things that very few other games have even attempted.

This game (Redfall) is a half-baked, poorly executed, buggy unfinished mess. There is nothing to be gained in defending it, nothing about this game does anything to drive the medium forward.

This is about standards. The standards we set for ourselves and as a result the standards we set for the people who create and sell games to us. There is no reason for them to have to be lowered to this degree.

The Alien

Banned
Lots of good ol' fashioned and tired console warring and even worse - listening to 'games journalists' opinions (gasp).

However, unlike the vast majority of people trashing the game, I've actually played the game (XSX). While it will never be confused with a great game - maybe not even a good game - i had some fun with it while playing with friends and passing the time.

I see pretentious comments on here about having standards and what not. My standard for gaming: fun. I'm not overly concerned with the fidelity and physics of a blade of grass. Back in my day, we played video games barefoot in the snow while walking uphil...and we liked it!

Jose92

[Membe
Lots of good ol' fashioned and tired console warring and even worse - listening to 'games journalists' opinions (gasp).

However, unlike the vast majority of people trashing the game, I've actually played the game (XSX). While it will never be confused with a great game - maybe not even a good game - i had some fun with it while playing with friends and passing the time.

I see pretentious comments on here about having standards and what not. My standard for gaming: fun. I'm not overly concerned with the fidelity and physics of a blade of grass. Back in my day, we played video games barefoot in the snow while walking uphil...and we liked it!
You do what makes you happy.

I think other than the typical console warriors, people are upset with exclusive games being released on xbox. And xbox fans are taking their frustrations on Redfall. Nonetheless Redfall needed atleast 1 more in development before being ready for release.

FYI one of my favourite games of all time was Prey, amazing game. So redfall to me is a double whammy.

Monad

QUNmP39.png

simpatico

I voted 50-59 in the poll. But that's only because I know the /10 outlets really only use a 5-10 scale. In reality the game is like 30 or 40 in the state that it's in. Aside from being horridly designed, the game doesn't even function on the most basic elements. You will see the AI bug out at least once per session. You won't use matchmaking because why would you put matchmaking in a fundamentally co-op game? Once the bad designs are functional it will be worth it's true score of 50-59.

Jeff Grubbs, who has connections in the games industry stated that approximately a month ago, one of his sources said “Redfall is going to be a disaster.” Grubb decided he would wait and see for himself, but now realises that he should of trusted this information. After all, his source was coming directly from Microsoft, showing that they were well aware of the state of the game before launch. Later on in the episode Grubb revealed that “the way it works at Microsoft is they don’t change anything, they let the studio just keep doing what they’re doing and barely interfere at all.” As a result, the studios are “barely managed” by Microsoft and according to Grubb, they take the stance that the managers that were already there before they were hired still manage those studios.

On episode 095 of the Last of Nintendogs,

Last edited:
I can’t really get into it - granted I haven’t tried very much. But this whole “it’s better than people give it credit for” mm I dunno. Maybe? But the technical issues make it a chore from the get go - there’s nothing getting me involved enough to keep playing it to see if it’s actually got anything of worth. Real shame - preys one of my favorite games

Bridges

I can’t really get into it - granted I haven’t tried very much. But this whole “it’s better than people give it credit for” mm I dunno. Maybe? But the technical issues make it a chore from the get go - there’s nothing getting me involved enough to keep playing it to see if it’s actually got anything of worth. Real shame - preys one of my favorite games
It's only better than it gets credit for in that it isn't some completely unplayable piece of garbage like a lot are making it out to be. It's still not really worth playing.

If you've exhausted all other options and are looking for a co-op experience with some friends, yeah, they'res some fun to be had. Some of that fun is clowning on the game, some of it is from combat which has its moments.

If you can't feel you can get into it then don't force it, there's nothing new it'll give you later to change your mind aside from slightly more interesting locales.

I have completed all the side missions and am on the second to last story mission, should complete the game tomorrow.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's my impressions playing for maybe 40 minutes on Series X.

Content
- It did a 1.4 gb update before I could play. Not sure what it did
- Took Jacob
- Finished the starting ferry port
- Finished fire station
- Roamed around town
- Died fighting 4 vampires jumping down from a house and quit

Graphics
- Seems to be high res
- 30 fps seems pretty stable, menu screen seems 60 fps I think
- Looks like something from Xbox One/PS4 launch, but higher res
- It's got a nice bold colour palette to it, but the textures are overall bland and basic. Its not trying to be ultra realistic. You get some decent fake lighting or whatever in the starting ferry scene with wet rocks
- Character models have weird proportions (eye and hands). One of the characters you can choose Remi has giant eyes. Check it out when you start the game and choose a character
- Generally bad looking NPCs and dead bodies
- Tons of weird pop in, twitchy and flashing lighting and shadows
- Handful of cut scenes I saw are what people say... montage style. No narration, no captions. So for finishing the fire station mission, you get maybe 15 slides that tell you they fixed things up and is now your starting hub of NPCs

Sound
- Seemed pretty good. A lot of creepy ambiance and voice acting seems good enough

Gameplay
- If you hate Destiny style "move the mouse cursor around menu UI" playing on console, well thats what this game has
- Lots of pop up info boxes on the right you can skip by holding down B
- Has a very Fallout 4 30 fps kind of feel to it. Serviceable, but not great when you pan the camera fast
- Mess around with FOV slider as it feels shit when you start the game. You are so close to everything
- The game has enough items, gear, reading notes etc... to pick up. They even highlight it white or yellow to help you out. It's so clunky sometimes you got to be really perfect hovering over it to activate it.... first aid, ammo etc... But then when you kill enemies and they drop ammo and first aid, it's auto-pick up?
- I didn't get AI issues fighting random bandits and some vamps (bandits will sometimes take cover, vamps seem to beeline and jump you fast), but fighting the basement vamp in the fire station, it looks like it might have canned zones of pathfinding. I fought it a bit and ran upstairs. It didn't seem to follow me. I went back downstairs and it was back in location it started in

Not the worst game in the world, but really average from this very brief playing. If you like a budget feeling shooter/open world that has a city to explore and arent looking for modern polish, visuals and gameplay you might get some cheap thrills out of it.

Kind of like instead of buying the latest PC game, you find an oldie from 10-15 years ago on GOG or Steam that you can kill some time for $19.99. Definitely from what I played it is not worth playing at full price.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with what he said. You are simping for every game which is released on gamepass, trash-tier included. It's not like you have low standards, you don't have any standards at all.
Which game did I "simp" for that crossed the line besides Redfall?

And what GHG GHG posted is embarrassing and fucking psycho. Yes let's bully anyone that rates games he doesn't like a 6/10 so that we can save the industry. Delusions of grandeur. Totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Incredible false equivalence.

Death Stranding is an expertly crafted game and it comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference in terms of whether an individual wll enjoy the experience or not. In some areas it's best in class in terms of its execution and does a lot of things that very few other games have even attempted.

This game (Redfall) is a half-baked, poorly executed, buggy unfinished mess. There is nothing to be gained in defending it, nothing about this game does anything to drive the medium forward.

This is about standards. The standards we set for ourselves and as a result the standards we set for the people who create and sell games to us. There is no reason for them to have to be lowered to this degree.

Regarding the "false equivalence" bit, I have to disagree since "those" people kept telling us the same thing when it came to Death stranding even if it was a good, functioning product/piece of media - that's why I specifically used this game in this case.
Maybe a case of "wrong perspective" and /or trolling on "their" part but...it is what it is.

Agreed on the other things you said 100%, having said that though, that rings true for most things in this life and in this case, media (generally speaking).
There are no standards anymore and the bar has been set incredibly low when you have "consumers" actually liking shitty band/pop star/rapper/trapper flavour of the month, infinite garbage in the form of DC/Marvel/Star wars movies, trashy TV shows etc etc.

Again, it is what it is brother, it's not like you or I can actually change people's minds, you know ?

Cheers

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I'm rating it near what the MC average is, but still have yet to complete the game. The game is fun, but has numerous flaws.

I don't know what triggered you but you can leave me out of it. As usual, I didn't say anything to you because you just want a fight over nothing.

You belong on twitter along with senju... you both are drinking from the same fountain... whatever that maybe, moneyhat or crazyness ... or both ... ignore it is

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You belong on twitter along with senju... you both are drinking from the same fountain... whatever that maybe, moneyhat or crazyness ... or both ... ignore it is
I've never once used Twitter. You are so fragile you can't handle someone with a different opinion than you. Just put me on ignore and leave me alone then if you're too close minded to talk about video games like a functioning human.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Bernard, I love ya man but...you're being incredibly harsh in this case, c'mon man...

You/we can disagree with another user's opinion but Miku is not of those guys/gals (I don't think so at least).

Let's just try to not be assholes brother it's all I'm saying...

PS: The Senjutsu guy is on a whole different level/planet, he's being paid 100% and if he's not, well, he should be seeing a doctor.

PS2 : Just by the comments in here, this game has has brought the worst out of everybody, well played MS/Arkane ! 😁

Last edited:

GHG

Which game did I "simp" for that crossed the line besides Redfall?

And what GHG GHG posted is embarrassing and fucking psycho. Yes let's bully anyone that rates games he doesn't like a 6/10 so that we can save the industry. Delusions of grandeur. Totally ridiculous.

What's psycho is excusing a $70 first party AAA game releasing in this state.

Regarding the "false equivalence" bit, I have to disagree since "those" people kept telling us the same thing when it came to Death stranding - that's why I specifically used this game.
Maybe a case of "wrong perspective" and /or trolling on their part but...it is what it is.

Agreed on the other things you said 100%, having said that though, that rings true for most things in this life and in this case, media (generally speaking).
There are no standards anymore and the bar has been set incredibly low when you have "consumers" actually liking shitty band/pop star/rapper/trapper flavour of the month, infinite garbage in the form of DC/Marvel/Star wars movies, trashy TV shows etc etc.

Again, it is what it is brother, it's not like you or I can actually change people's minds, you know ?

Cheers

Like I said, there's a difference between people having debates over what comes down to a matter of taste and a product not being good on a functional level. Redfall is akin to a car manufacturer releasing a car with square wheels and then fanboys of said car company saying it's ok because at least the car has an engine and will start. Well it's all good and well that the engine starts, but for the fact that the car is useless for it's intended purpose - it's functionally useless and is not going anywhere, everyone who purchases it has wasted their money. On the other hand death stranding is a car with round wheels, it drives excellently, executes on it's intended purpose 100% but it might have controversial styling, and that's it.

It's important to be able to differentiate between these two different types of scenario.

Edit: let me close by saying Death Stranding evoked such strong opinions because it was so different. Redfall has evoked such strong opinions because it is so shit.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Bernard, I love ya man but...you're being incredibly harsh in this case, c'mon man...

You/we can disagree with another user's opinion but Miku is not of those guys/gals (I don't think so at least).

Let's just try to not be assholes brother it's all saying...

PS: The Senjutsu guy is on a whole different level/planet, he's being paid 100% and if he's not, well, he should be seeing a specialist
Yeah I don't think anybody on this forum is at the same level as senjutsu...At least nobody that I haven't blocked.
And you're right Punished Miku Punished Miku is clearly not on the same level, he has his clear bias and I don't think that's a secret but he's pretty civil during disagrements.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

This might be the greatest navel gazing post I've ever seen. Like I knew this thread was going to be full of nonsense with it being 71 pages for a game this forum was supposedly not interested in, but boy oh boy does this single post deliver.

. . . always a battlefield for the vigilant (console) warrior I guess.

Top Bottom