• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil; 4 Remake is releasing on 3. 24. 2023

I expect and want Capcom to make changes from the original -- it's a remake, not a remaster.

It would be boring if they just remade the exact same game but with shinier graphics, if I'm nostalgic (or if I don't like change), the original still exists.

It would also be boring if you're a developer at Capcom working to recreate something in exactly the same way, I'm sure they would want to prove themselves and introduce new things they think fans will like.

Last edited:

Generic

Looks good but it's pretty obvious that the cheesiness is not coming back. Real shame... :(
Kinda concerned about the replayability because of that. Doubt that it'll have gameplay with weapon uprades and hordes of enemies like the original. Also we probaby won't see the merchant here.
Will probably be more like RE2Remake and RE3Remake type of gameplay and therefore feel more in line with those. This is fine and all but still I'd rather if they went the other way.
Thank you. Everyone is hyped for this but I'm worried they will remove all the arcade action combat that made RE4 so good in exchange for something more trendy. Capcom officially calling it a "survival horror" is a red flag.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I said it now:
1) redesigned levels, probably more or cut content
2) redesigned clothes, clothes gonna be tone down especially for ashley and Ada
3) Altered ending or story

Looks good. The only concern I have is that they follow too closely to the original with the environment. It looked pretty damn close to the same structure of the environments. It's so restrictive compared to what we're used to with modern games.

RE2 remake was incredible, so I'm hopeful. I love RE4 so much!

Last edited:

Heylon

Yeah, Ashley looks nice. I wonder if we can still look up her skirt? :messenger_smirking:
That will most definitely be removed as will all the flirtatious scenes from the original. Although not entirely, Capcom has slowly succumbed to the wokeness virus in recent years. Just like most companies.

Doom85

That will most definitely be removed as will all the flirtatious scenes from the original. Although not entirely, Capcom has slowly succumbed to the wokeness virus in recent years. Just like most companies.

Resident Evil Smile GIF by CAPCOM
Raining Video Game GIF by CAPCOM
Video Game GIF by CAPCOM
Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

I could keep going, but I’ll stop there.

Man, just look at these completely covered women with zero large breasts in sight. Capcom, how could you do this to us?

Seriously, what the fuck is with certain people and seeing “wokeness” everywhere like they’re some paranoid conspiracy theorist? You’d have to be high as fuck to legitimately believe Capcom has shown any sign of becoming what increasingly obnoxious people instantly label “woke” before putting any thought into their statement.

Seriously, people, this shit is getting old.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

But you guys, the new Senran Kagura game has only 152 different nude poses compared to the 176 nude poses of the prior game! WWWWOOOOKKKKEEEE!!!

Generic

Video Game GIF by CAPCOM
Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

Man, just look at these completely covered women with zero large breasts in sight. Capcom, how could you do this to us?

Seriously, what the fuck is with certain people and seeing “wokeness” everywhere like they’re some paranoid conspiracy theorist? You’d have to be high as fuck to legitimately believe Capcom has shown any sign of becoming what increasingly obnoxious people instantly label “woke” before putting any thought into their statement.

But you guys, the new Senran Kagura game has only 152 different nude poses compared to the 176 nude poses of the prior game! WWWWOOOOKKKKEEEE!!!
Original Ashley was jailbait-looking. The new Ashley looks older and wears pants - no pantyshot for you :(

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Video Game GIF by CAPCOM
Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

If that's the case then why change Ashley's design while covering her up?

Last edited:

Doom85

Original Ashley was jailbait-looking. The new Ashley looks older and wears pants - no pantyshot for you :(

His post still screams ignorance. Also, remember when people said Jill was going to be “woke”ified in RE 3 Remake…and then she got a tentacle shoved down her mouth. And I just saw that scene and thought of all the people who got mad at a game not even released and screaming about agendas and I just:

Pointing Laughing GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Capcom had done a great job with the remakes people are dumb enough to rebuy the same game over and over.

brian0057

Banned
It's older than re4 itself. Could use a second remake. The mansion in todays visuals and sound effects? Holy shit.
Visuals do fuck all for me. And REmake it's still a beautiful game, with a superb sound design.
It's already superior to the original title and it's the best game in the series.

Code Veronica is the one that needs a remake. That game sucks.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thank you. Everyone is hyped for this but I'm worried they will remove all the arcade action combat that made RE4 so good in exchange for something more trendy. Capcom officially calling it a "survival horror" is a red flag.
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that RE4 being vastly different than 2+3 is next to Zero. It hasn’t been that long since 2+3 came out and both were well received (only problem of 3 was that it was too short). So there is next to no chance that Capcom will change much to the formula with 4. Pretty sure it will feel and play like a true sequel to the Remakes that were already made.

skylight

Neo Member
They are remaking the game that ignited the wave of remakes. I'm looking forward to playing this game.
Several questions here. First, is Resident Evil 5 Remake in the works? Resident Evil 1 Remake will be First Person?

chixdiggit

Hopefully it becomes fully playable in VR.
They already made a fully playable version of RE4 including Mercenaries in VR (that is excellent BTW). Pretty safe to say this will be as well.

Edit: Yeah actually I take that back. Doesn't sound so promising unfortunately.

Last edited:

Generic

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that RE4 being vastly different than 2+3 is next to Zero. It hasn’t been that long since 2+3 came out and both were well received (only problem of 3 was that it was too short). So there is next to no chance that Capcom will change much to the formula with 4. Pretty sure it will feel and play like a true sequel to the Remakes that were already made.
I can already picture "big cheese" being an immortal AI monster who follows Leon around the village.

sainraja

I hope they remove the cheesiness aspects present in the original game from this one.

EDIT
If that's gone, GOOD! :D

Last edited:
Because this remake is pretty unneeded, I hope they go nuts with it and make it similar to FFVII: Remake (minus the time ghosts). Have everything up to the Big Cheese fight be 1:1 remade, but then the game SLOWLY starts getting more and more different. Make people be like, "Wait...that isn't right...." more and more, and then BAM. Throw in that damn airship and have Leon fight hookman. Put in all the beta content.

Just go wack with it.

subsmoke

Even though it was rumored for a long time I didn't think it would happen since the original game doesn't have much to improve on. With the original trilogy they could modernize the graphics and gameplay but RE4 still feels very modern. It's too soon for a remake I think.

Well they did improve on one thing though. The original wasn't scary and it looks like the remake might be. It definitely has a darker vibe to it.

GHound

Also, remember when people said Jill was going to be “woke”ified in RE 3 Remake…
Best I can do is $2 and the memory of when they made her "classic" DLC outfit have a skort instead.
Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

Also yeah, CV needed a remake more than this game but was unlikely to ever actually get one I feel. The new world would never be able to get over Alfred "The Sister Fister" Ashford crossdressing in 4K or Claire's biggest fangirl and OG onlyfans subscriber Steve Burnside. :(

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The big thing I’m excited about is seeing the atmosphere. If anything, they’ll bring the village back to life with modern graphics. Dirt, rocks, old houses, castles, etc. I just hope we get the infrared scope. Also excited to see how they portray the enemies. Hopefully we get some Z rated super graphic depictions of these enemies.

Nickolaidas

Why would someone want the RE4 Remake to be nothing like RE4?
Because fuck cheesy superficial bullshit that kills characterization.

"Huh? Where's everybody going? Bingo?"

Fuck. The fuck. Off. You were nearly killed by a mob of villagers who have a virus unlike anything you've ever encountered before. And you're wondering whether they're going to play bingo? Piss off. (and yeah, I know he doesn't say that in the Japanese version, doesn't change what I said)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Fuck. The fuck. Off. You were nearly killed by a mob of villagers who have a virus unlike anything you've ever encountered before. And you're wondering whether they're going to play bingo? Piss off. (and yeah, I know he doesn't say that in the Japanese version, doesn't change what I said)
Yeah… fuck some of the most iconic video game OneLiners ever put to paper. Let‘s rather put some generic crap in there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Clearly you have no idea what made RE4 so endearing to many in the first place.

YukiOnna

Nah this is an awful take. It added so much to it so I need them to retain some of it.

Matchew

I'm all for changing the story. The story wasn't good in the original it was the gameplay that makes RE4 fantastic. So, if they could change the story to make it just a little better, I'm down for it. However, the game looked off. Especially in the end scene when Leon is walking, the graphics didn't look good and Leon looked like he didn't belong in the environment.

Nickolaidas

Yeah… fuck some of the most iconic video game OneLiners ever put to paper. Let‘s rather put some generic crap in there.
If it means making the protagonist not sound like a moron, yes. Let's.
Clearly you have no idea what made RE4 so endearing to many in the first place.
The gameplay?
Nah this is an awful take. It added so much to it so I need them to retain some of it.
Yeah, pretty sure what made Resident Evil 1 so memorable wasn't the tension or the atmosphere. It was the 'Jill Sandwich'.

Nickolaidas

Was one of the ingredients of the pudding.

RE4, without the cheese, would not be as memorable as it ended up being.
The cheese is only good for a 'goofiest lines in video games' YouTube video. Resident Evil 1 Remake had none of the PSX version's cheese and is considered ten times better than the original. Goofy lines are just that. Goofy. Stupid. What made people remember RE4 was their first encounter with a Regenerator, not Salazar being a fucking midget and sounding like Speedy Gonzales.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The cheese is only good for a 'goofiest lines in video games' YouTube video. Resident Evil 1 Remake had none of the PSX version's cheese and is considered ten times better than the original. Goofy lines are just that. Goofy. Stupid. What made people remember RE4 was their first encounter with a Regenerator, not Salazar being a fucking midget and sounding like Speedy Gonzales.
That's just your opinion bro. Many of us liked the comedic tone of some moments and, for me, those didn't make Leon look like a dork, but like a total chad, like here:

tumblr_o3w2gybAjc1qjztgpo1_400.gifv

For me, this kind of things add a lot of personality to the game.

Nickolaidas

That's just your opinion bro. Many of us liked the comedic tone of some moments and, for me, those didn't make Leon look like a dork, but like a total chad, like here:

tumblr_o3w2gybAjc1qjztgpo1_400.gifv

For me, this kind of things add a lot of personality to the game.
Sure, it's an opinion. My opinion is that bullshit like the one you posted above was what ruined RE back in the PS2/PS3 era. Where RE stopped feeling like Survival Horror and started resembling a bad Michael Bay flick. Scene like the one above is good for an action/comedy/adventure, but is a piss poor choice for horror. You don't feel nearly as intimidated as you should be when your character makes fun of the guy who is supposed to be your stalker.

Thankfully Capcom seems to be correcting past mistakes and I'm very eager to see an RE4 with more emphasis on horror, and less on cheesy one-liners.

TintoConCasera

Sure, it's an opinion. My opinion is that bullshit like the one you posted above was what ruined RE back in the PS2/PS3 era. Where RE stopped feeling like Survival Horror and started resembling a bad Michael Bay flick. Scene like the one above is good for an action/comedy/adventure, but is a piss poor choice for horror. You don't feel nearly as intimidated as you should be when your character makes fun of the guy who is supposed to be your stalker.

Thankfully Capcom seems to be correcting past mistakes and I'm very eager to see an RE4 with more emphasis on horror, and less on cheesy one-liners.
Meh, I dunno man. For a remake I would prefer for them to stick to the original vision, what the original developers and designers intended the game to be.

I'm happy for those that prefer a more serious tone but for me, nah, I don't think I'll be getting this remake.

Hope they fix the mexican accent on the spanish ganado. For a spanish player that was quite comedic, but unintented by Capcom I guess.

sachos

It's just me or Leon with more fat tissue?

Also, his jacket was so awesome in the original, now it's kinda weird
Yeah!! Glad is not just me, he looks weird, like he either got fat or wider, or he is using close that don't fit like 1 or 2 sizes too big or something. I dont know, its the only thing i didnt like about the trailer. Ada,Ashley and Saddler look awesome.

MacReady13

I'd love for this to be closer to Resident Evil 2 remake than the Resident Evil 3 remake was (in terms of cut content). Please don't remove any areas or scenes from this game. If they added stuff in (like new areas or even enemy encounters) that would be amazing! Original game is as perfect a game as you can get (especially in terms of pacing) so please keep that all in tact.

Top Bottom