• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil; 4 Remake is releasing on 3. 24. 2023

I actually hope they go all the way and do remake 6. It would do a lot for it.

6 was never a cult hit, actually it was shit on and most people bailed on RE series when that came out. Which is why a total refresh came with RE7 because they realized they were milking the same old cow for years. Its safe to say they will never invest any cash into anything to do with RE6.

Doom85

6 was never a cult hit, actually it was shit on and most people bailed on RE series when that came out. Which is why a total refresh came with RE7 because they realized they were milking the same old cow for years. Its safe to say they will never invest any cash into anything to do with RE6.

By 2020, it was the 4th highest selling Capcom title of all time. Critical reception might have been low, but you’re kidding yourself if you think Capcom wouldn’t consider remaking or re-imagining the game at some point.

YukiOnna

? https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/cap...ter-hunter-world-iceborne-at-9-2-million-more
It is Capcom's 7th best selling game of all time. Also, your points would make it in favour of a remake treatment.

PanzerAzel

Quite the tone shift there, and I can’t say I don’t approve.

Very nice. 👍🏼 Though I am curious how the cheese will age with this new darker flavor. I wouldn’t mind a new tone, but do wonder if it’ll rob it of some of its cringe charm, which if so, would be unfortunate.

Also curious as to revisions to the mechanics and any necessary tweaks to enemy tactics/level designs in their accommodation. I for one have never had a problem with RE4’s controls, not day 1, not day present, but I can understand the gripe. It would be interesting to see Capcom approaching this with a more survival-horror angle to gameplay as the aesthetic tends to suggest, but that would necessitate some MAJOR changes to various aspects all around. But I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to a more methodical and slow-paced survival RE4, as I’m of the opinion the action isn’t really what granted the experience its potency.

This one I am very much looking forward to. Awesome to see.

ParaSeoul

RE4 didn't need a remake but to me this looks a lot more like the early versions of RE 4,the hookman demo and the other demos. Leons jacket and Ashleys new outfit are straight out of that version. Would be better if this was its own thing instead of completing just being RE4 1 to 1 because the original holds up well.
FUQeVOSXoAErhFm

1654241167628.jpg

Im actually quite gutted tbh, 4 imo doesnt need remade, id rather they actually remade code veronica, though acting is at its cheesiest it does still have a decent story, but i really do wish at some point they remake re5, 07 trailer looked absolute hype until they changed the game from single player to coop and cut almost half the game because people cried that it was racist, i liked shiva, probs the best newest character capcom has made in the franchise but the game was total shit and ruined in favour of coop

RE4 didn't need a remake but to me this looks a lot more like the early versions of RE 4,the hookman demo and the other demos. Leons jacket and Ashleys new outfit are straight out of that version. Would be better if this was its own thing instead of completing just being RE4 1 to 1 because the original holds up well.
FUQeVOSXoAErhFm

1654241167628.jpg
Its been confirmed that re4 remake is more inline with the early version then the final version, this got rumoured about 2 years ago

WolfusFh

FUQeVOSXoAErhFm

1654241167628.jpg
I agree with this. The original holds up pretty well, so this time I think a reimagining, with a different tone and more adjustments to the story so that the tone and the overall plot doesn't feel so distant from the series, is actually a good thing.

That being said, I hope they don't cut content. If they are going to remove some area/enemy, then hopefully they replace it with something at least equally good or better.

My disappointment with the RE3 remake was that, aside from Carlos' character and his dynamic with Jill and the dodging system, everything else was worse than in the original (aside from graphics too, but come on). Nerfed Nemesis with scripted sequences, much more linearization, less areas, less weapon complexity, less optional content, so on.

RE2 also wasn't completely perfect in this regard, but the cut content was minor. The greatest issue in the game (which is an amazing game by the way) was the lack of the zapping system, the lack of A/B coherent scenarios and lack of interaction between Claire and Leon (I think as a consequence of the second point).

Astral Dog

Yeah CV NEEDS a remake way more then this one. That game holds up a lot worse and the voice acting is literally the worst in all of the franchises history.
Its not even that, they could make it genuinely scary if treated with care, CV has some of the best music and atmosphere in a Resident Evil game, the Darkside Chronicles 'remaster' was lovely(they would need to tone down the cheese though). Simply wasted potential, however there is a small chance they reconsider after RE4 comes out.

ParaSeoul

Its been confirmed that re4 remake is more inline with the early version then the final version, this got rumoured about 2 years ago
Think I remember this.
I agree with this. The original holds up pretty well, so this time I think a reimagining, with a different tone and more adjustments to the story so that the tone and the overall plot doesn't feel so distant from the series, is actually a good thing.

That being said, I hope they don't cut content. If they are going to remove some area/enemy, then hopefully they replace it with something at least equally good or better.

My disappointment with the RE3 remake was that, aside from Carlos' character and his dynamic with Jill and the dodging system, everything else was worse than in the original (aside from graphics too, but come on). Nerfed Nemesis with scripted sequences, much more linearization, less areas, less weapon complexity, less optional content, so on.

RE2 also wasn't completely perfect in this regard, but the cut content was minor. The greatest issue in the game (which is an amazing game by the way) was the lack of the zapping system, the lack of A/B coherent scenarios and lack of interaction between Claire and Leon (I think as a consequence of the second point).
Thankfully this isn't the same team that did 3 remake. I enjoyed 2 and what it did but yeah the lack of those things especially the A and B scenarios were disappointing. Hopefully 4 remake will have enough new content.

Very excited for this. It looks even better than I could have imagined, honestly.

RE4 has aged pretty well imo, but like they've done such a great job on the village sections from the trailer and the character models. Leon and Ada look awesome.

Easily one of my all-time favourite games and will be a Day 1 buy for me. I've enjoyed all the remakes, even RE3 despite it being so short.

Fake

I expect and want Capcom to make changes from the original -- it's a remake, not a remaster.

It would be boring if they just remade the exact same game but with shinier graphics, if I'm nostalgic (or if I don't like change), the original still exists.

It would also be boring if you're a developer at Capcom working to recreate something in exactly the same way, I'm sure they would want to prove themselves and introduce new things they think fans will like.

Lets pray for a better horror story. RE4 lack of survive horror is embarrassing.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I could totally see re0 getting the remake treatment next. I think the first remake is already so perfect that there isnt much you could do to improve it, outside if changing the perspective

WolfusFh

Think I remember this.

Thankfully this isn't the same team that did 3 remake. I enjoyed 2 and what it did but yeah the lack of those things especially the A and B scenarios were disappointing. Hopefully 4 remake will have enough new content.
Yeah, I'm hoping for new content. Since the original game is much more accessible and holds up, I don't mind changing things up. Especially since they can improve the story to make better connections with the other games. And they can make a better horror setting, considering how action oriented the original is.

Though I'm still disappointed they didn't remake code Veronica first. I honestly think they should not only remake code Veronica, but make a RE3.5 with the umbrella chronicles and darkside chronicles stories, since chronologically, they come before 4. And you know, one of them introduces Krauser.

GloveSlap

I hope they add a bunch of new things and remix most of the rest. I've played Re4 way too many times for a one for one remake. I'd still play it, but it would be disappointing.

SuperGooey

Is the Ada DLC confirmed in this?
While not confirmed, a leak from a few months ago stated that the RE2R team was working on the main Leon campaign while M-Two (the RE3R team) was put on a more extended Separate Ways campaign where you pay Ada's story.

Hope that's true. Capcom better not be cutting out the awesome unlockables RE4 had, and that includes Mercenaries! And I want them to do a good job because RE3R lacked it and the Mercenaries mode in RE8 was dogshit.

? https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/cap...ter-hunter-world-iceborne-at-9-2-million-more
It is Capcom's 7th best selling game of all time. Also, your points would make it in favour of a remake treatment.

So what if it was a higher selling RE? it was made for mass market, for the action kids. You will be kidding yourself if RE6 got a remake and got even close to RE2R numbers which werent that great either adn thats a classic. Literally NOBODY is asking for RE6. Theres more interest in Dino Crisis and other IPs instead. RE6 will never get a remake...ever lol. You dont make a remake based on its original sales numbers, you make a remake based on what the fanbase keeps crying for so it shows massive interest. Beside the two of you I never heard anyone wanting this.

Last edited:

Arachnid

By 2020, it was the 4th highest selling Capcom title of all time. Critical reception might have been low, but you’re kidding yourself if you think Capcom wouldn’t consider remaking or re-imagining the game at some point.
Sure, but RE5 and 6 sales were carried by RE4s good will, 6 never even passed up 5. RE7 and RE2make are also about to overtake it despite being much newer entries (4, 5, 6, 7, and 2make are all pretty close in sales, granted). RE6 damaged the brand enough that they rebooted back to survival horror roots right after a half decade series dormancy. 6 doesn't need to be remade. It needs to be completely tossed out and redone.

Nickolaidas

So what if it was a higher selling RE? it was made for mass market, for the action kids. You will be kidding yourself if RE6 got a remake and got even close to RE2R numbers which werent that great either adn thats a classic. Literally NOBODY is asking for RE6. Theres more interest in Dino Crisis and other IPs instead. RE6 will never get a remake...ever lol. You dont make a remake based on its original sales numbers, you make a remake based on what the fanbase keeps crying for so it shows massive interest. Beside the two of you I never heard anyone wanting this.
Please, please, friend. Allow me.

YukiOnna YukiOnna , in order to fully grasp how utterly retarded RE6 is, and why everyone hates it, I'll just say this:

The second you begin the 'gameplay', you get your first tutorial message.

(L) Walk, (R) Look Around

Moving the left stick in any direction causes Leon to walk in a scripted way towards his scripted path. You move the left thumbstick backwards? Leon walks forward. You move it to the right? Leon walks forward. You move it to the left? Leon walks forward.

That's how utterly brain-dead, asinine, fucked-up, moronic, vomit-inducing, piss-poor, shitty, utterly fucked, diarrhea-flavored this abomination is.

It doesn't deserve a remake. It doesn't deserve a make-over. It needs to be burned, burned to a cinder until only ashes remain.

Fuck Resident Evil 6. Fuck all of it. Fuck it to hell. I don't even care if they want to remake it as horror, or more playable, or more anything. I fucking hate it. It's the worst RE game ever made.

SuperGooey

What changes are you guys hoping for?

Here are my wants:

-RE1/RE2 Mansion-like level design. While I love the linear level design of RE4 since it offers for more variety and specific gameplay encounters, I think a a good way for this remake to stand out and offer a different experience and pacing is to have a map that encourages more exploration, backtracking, opening up shortcuts, and needing better knowledge of the map layout. This type of level design is hard to pull off, but its something early RE games excelled in, and given how well the level design in RE2R was, I have confidence that the team could pull this off.

-QTE without button prompts. If QTE cutscenes were taken out, I'd really miss seeing the cool death animations and scenes. I think the best way to handle this is to do it like the final cutscene in RE3R. In RE3R, there is a part where Nicholai has Carlos hostage with a knife, and you have a moment to shoot Nicholai. If you succeed, you get the ending cutscene. If you fail, you get a unique cutscene with Nicholai killing both Carlos and Jill.

-Melee attacks/finishers. This is a must. I'm not asking for DMC levels of combat options, but this is RE4. There will be more enemies on screen at once, and few things are more satisfying than using your roundhouse kick for crowd control. RE4 lacked finisher moves when you knocked an enemy on the ground, and it leads to some repetitive knifing of fallen enemies. Streamlining it with a finisher move (ala, RE5) would keep the pace up. Either that, or make knife slashes faster. Heck, maybe a stamina meter could be incorporated to keep you from abusing quick finishers.

-Ashley stays more or less the same. People hate Ashley, and I pity them for that. Ashley is hilarious. She's annoying, but that's the point. She's a spoiled brat that you need to protect. What makes this work is that she is constantly the butt of the joke, which makes you stand out among RE characters. It also highlights her contrast with Ada--the ultimate femme fatale. It's also great that she has a crush on Leon, and he just laughs at the thought of "overtime" with her. Making Ashley capable to fend for herself or "badass" completely misses the point of her character.

-An improved Separate Ways. The OG SW was kinda dull. I'd like to see Ada's grapple be more incorporated into the gameplay, making previously explored areas as Leon feel completely fresh. I know its a modern day gaming trop to just add a grapple hook and call it a day, but this was a thing that was in the original Separate Ways that was very undercooked. In addition, if the main Leon campaign is less combat driven, they can really up the combat with Ada--having more arena style map design, more melee options, and more sci-fi type weapons and gadgets leading to a completely new playstyle.

-An ever more robust Mercenaries mode than the original. Mercenaries was taken out of the RE3 remake, and it sucked ass in RE8. This is the time to go all out, especially since RE4 is really the game where Mercenaries became legendary. Adding online co-op as an option is a given, but I'd like to see the roster get an upgrade. The original RE4 Mercs let you play as Leon, Ada, Hunk, Wesker and Krauser--all having completely different playstyles. All these characters must return, and in addition, add Luis. That's a good start, but RE5 even went crazier with its roster of Merc, and I think RE4R should at least try to match that. I'd be totally fine paying for DLC character pack that includes Chris, Claire, Carlos, Jill, etc.

Also, don't worry about balancing the characters. Part of the fun of RE4's Mercs was just how fucking overpowered Krauser's parasite arm was!

-No cutting of bosses or enemies. It's wild how many enemies the RE2 and RE3 remakes cut. I want every enemy type to return in RE4R, and if something doesn't, replace it with something better. Keep in mind that the shark in RE1 was super lame, yet the REmake didn't cut them. In fact, REmake reimagined the shark tank as the most intense part of the entire series! I hope that mentality is carried over for RE4R.

ParaSeoul

Here are my wants:

-RE1/RE2 Mansion-like level design. While I love the linear level design of RE4 since it offers for more variety and specific gameplay encounters, I think a a good way for this remake to stand out and offer a different experience and pacing is to have a map that encourages more exploration, backtracking, opening up shortcuts, and needing better knowledge of the map layout. This type of level design is hard to pull off, but its something early RE games excelled in, and given how well the level design in RE2R was, I have confidence that the team could pull this off.

-QTE without button prompts. If QTE cutscenes were taken out, I'd really miss seeing the cool death animations and scenes. I think the best way to handle this is to do it like the final cutscene in RE3R. In RE3R, there is a part where Nicholai has Carlos hostage with a knife, and you have a moment to shoot Nicholai. If you succeed, you get the ending cutscene. If you fail, you get a unique cutscene with Nicholai killing both Carlos and Jill.

-Melee attacks/finishers. This is a must. I'm not asking for DMC levels of combat options, but this is RE4. There will be more enemies on screen at once, and few things are more satisfying than using your roundhouse kick for crowd control. RE4 lacked finisher moves when you knocked an enemy on the ground, and it leads to some repetitive knifing of fallen enemies. Streamlining it with a finisher move (ala, RE5) would keep the pace up. Either that, or make knife slashes faster. Heck, maybe a stamina meter could be incorporated to keep you from abusing quick finishers.

-Ashley stays more or less the same. People hate Ashley, and I pity them for that. Ashley is hilarious. She's annoying, but that's the point. She's a spoiled brat that you need to protect. What makes this work is that she is constantly the butt of the joke, which makes you stand out among RE characters. It also highlights her contrast with Ada--the ultimate femme fatale. It's also great that she has a crush on Leon, and he just laughs at the thought of "overtime" with her. Making Ashley capable to fend for herself or "badass" completely misses the point of her character.

-An improved Separate Ways. The OG SW was kinda dull. I'd like to see Ada's grapple be more incorporated into the gameplay, making previously explored areas as Leon feel completely fresh. I know its a modern day gaming trop to just add a grapple hook and call it a day, but this was a thing that was in the original Separate Ways that was very undercooked. In addition, if the main Leon campaign is less combat driven, they can really up the combat with Ada--having more arena style map design, more melee options, and more sci-fi type weapons and gadgets leading to a completely new playstyle.

-An ever more robust Mercenaries mode than the original. Mercenaries was taken out of the RE3 remake, and it sucked ass in RE8. This is the time to go all out, especially since RE4 is really the game where Mercenaries became legendary. Adding online co-op as an option is a given, but I'd like to see the roster get an upgrade. The original RE4 Mercs let you play as Leon, Ada, Hunk, Wesker and Krauser--all having completely different playstyles. All these characters must return, and in addition, add Luis. That's a good start, but RE5 even went crazier with its roster of Merc, and I think RE4R should at least try to match that. I'd be totally fine paying for DLC character pack that includes Chris, Claire, Carlos, Jill, etc.

Also, don't worry about balancing the characters. Part of the fun of RE4's Mercs was just how fucking overpowered Krauser's parasite arm was!

-No cutting of bosses or enemies. It's wild how many enemies the RE2 and RE3 remakes cut. I want every enemy type to return in RE4R, and if something doesn't, replace it with something better. Keep in mind that the shark in RE1 was super lame, yet the REmake didn't cut them. In fact, REmake reimagined the shark tank as the most intense part of the entire series! I hope that mentality is carried over for RE4R.
I feel like we're going to get more Ashley segments since she was shown running around the village

SuperGooey

I feel like we're going to get more Ashley segments since she was shown running around the village
Seems like it. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I don't mind having one playable Ashley segment in RE4 acting as a pallet cleanser, but anymore segments like that (especially if the remake turns them into stealth segments) may be pushing it.

ParaSeoul

Seems like it. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I don't mind having one playable Ashley segment in RE4 acting as a pallet cleanser, but anymore segments like that (especially if the remake turns them into stealth segments) may be pushing it.
Yeah one is enough unless they have ways to keep them interesting. Her being able to fight back to a degree or having more puzzles unique to her could be cool.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you notice the letters R and E are coloured red, which implies REborn or REmake or something along those lines (on all 3 remade games' titles). So, the remake thing is not stated clearly but is alluded and implied.
In Japan, they're called Biohazard RE:2, Biohazard RE:3 and Biohazard RE:4.
Thought they was just being consistent
p22-ashcraft-ongames-a-20170122.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have they gave Ashley tights or is it just because it's dark? She's definitely wearing a skirt and knee high boots

Doom85

It's also great that she has a crush on Leon, and he just laughs at the thought of "overtime" with her.

Though we also have to take into consideration that Ada is most likely laughing at how many hot woman Leon has turned down all to pursue a lady whose actions are screaming, “I’m constantly using you, and you fail to ever come to terms with that.” I mean, I like Ada, but I don’t believe for a second she ever intends to seriously get with Leon.

Moses85

Here are my wants:

Content which was cut from the Beta Version (3.5)

This was so scary

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Resident Evil 4: REmake - A treatment by Neil Druckman

Leon is called to investigate a small village in [Texas] where a group of [Neurodivergent] [White] people are rumored to be holding the [Democratic] president's [self identified] daughter for the purposes of some sordid [Christian] ceremony, The [KKK].

Leon is assailed by [Mayor] [Brandon Meyers] who tells Leon he has the same blood as them, but if he becomes [Liberal] in their eyes, he will suffer severe consequences. Soon after, he's almost killed for breaking and entering into Meyer's room in Texas, as per the [Castle Doctrine] and he's rescued by [Adam] Wong, a Chinese born transgender spy.

Leon eventually works his way through the village and into the [Rich White gated Texas community] where he does battle with fanatic [Christians] wielding [AK-47s and bowie knives]. He takes Ashley, recently rescued through the community, eventually losing her in a trap and being forced to navigate [Raymond Shchultz] the owner of the duplex who is a [dwarf]'s hedge Maze, where Leon must avoid [uWu cute doggos!] He manages to escape without hurting any of the [heckin' adorbs pupperinos] and works his way out of the community with Adam into an island resort for the richest citizen in white America, [Ozzie Sanders]

His tropical island vacation home is guarded fiercely by [The Police] and genetic horrors lurking in the basement levels, colloquially known as [Rowlings]. He eventually infiltrates the caverns below the vacation home and must face Sander's pet, a creature known affectionately as [They/Them]. After a protracted struggle, Leon and Adam face down Sander's, and he reveals his true form: two golf clubs in each hand. Leon dies, but Adam manages to blow up the entire island with help from his secret organization, [ANTIFA]. Helicopter over sunset. Credits roll. Montero by Lil Nas X plays.

Last edited:

DinoD

Uh! Positively nervous about this remake. "Cabin assault" is one of the most epic moments of my gaming life.

Last edited:

ButchCat

I will play this at some point, but does anyone else worry that the environments are going to be too samey to RE VILLAGE? I'm worried about burnout with this one.

Top Bottom