• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Death Island Announcd (CG Movie, Summer Release, Leon, Chris, Jill, Rebecca return)

I heard a rumour that RE9 or X or whatever it is, will be called Apocalypse. Supposedly this will be the last chapter. The last hurrah for the mainline characters.

Somehow, I seriously doubt that. Capcom hasn't got the balls to kill off any of the heroes, let alone ceasing to include them in future video games, and other mediums. That's why RE7 had a cameo by Chris, then the out of place DLC with you playing him in the caves beneath the Baker plantation.

Without a main character involved in some capacity, it's not really going to be much of a RE storyline. Which I mean, RE7 really isn't like any RE game until you know Umbrella had reformed, this time seemingly good, and with a blue logo. Or at least they could be pretending to be good.

Ethan was a new face, and I didn't mind that as it made the game feel fresh to have new blood thrown into the mix. But they hid his face, so I didn't like that. Although going forward, I wouldn't mind seeing other new characters getting involved. They probably won't add in so many characters that will stick around, though. They've got their legacy heroes well established. But I do like the idea of knowing more about Redfield's Wolf Hound Squad, and how they came to be.

The only downside is that the games and animated movies aren't "scary" anymore. They can't be. Every protagonist does ninja moves now, with way too many cheesy one-liners and ammo. This is why RE is barely a genuine survival horror series any longer. Only certain entries are horror. The rest are absolutely corny, and too bloody, with a ridiculous amount of stunts and weaponry at the helm. Like how in RE4 and 5, every killing rewards you with more things to kill with.

I mean, even in this trailer alone, you can see Chris firing a rocket launcher in the street. How can that terrify anyone? He is playing it too cool.

I do love RE. But I preferred the franchise when it had way more atmosphere. Basically, before it got to be so Hollywood. However, that isn't to say it's always unenjoyable.

I'd like to see Barry as well. He has a cameo in the original RE3, saving Jill and Carlos when Raccoon City was about to be blown up. However, the garbage ass 2020 Covid era remake didn't have an alternative ending. Capcom obviously just couldn't be arsed to keep to the source material, and I suspect these new games are basically so they can retcon the hell out of the classics.

I also wonder what's going on with Moira and Natalia, after Alex Wesker took over Natalia's mind.

Knightime_X

How are they still pumping these turds out? Every RE film, whether live action or CG, has been utterly rancid. Wish they'd knock this shit off and just focus on games for RE.
Those who make the movies have nothing to do with game development.
Entirely different companies.
And you're wrong, the CG movies were great.

Last edited:
The Paul Anderson movies aren't canon. Thank Christ for that. But I did enjoy the first movie, for it had the lazer security trap, and the holographic "Red Queen" girl was kind of neat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Fx4LQNYWwAANa_n

Astral Dog

I just hope its better than the last one.the issue is that its more interested in being a shitty political drama without that Resident Evil 'mood'like they don't get what RE is about

Imo they should be horror movies with some action here and there

Still Damnation was the best of the CG movies

Last edited:

Outlier

I think the reason these movies look old is because the amazing CGI we've seen (ala Aquila Rift or Jibaro) is VERY expensive and Capcom knows these movies aren't really worth the risk of expense.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I had never watched any of the CG RE movies but this week I have been watching all the 4 movies, I can say they were fun and enjoyable for the most part. People seem to hate on them too much. Yeah Leon doesn't sound like Leon in Degeneration and Chris looks off but overall the movies are fun time wssters. And so I am definitely looking forward to this. The CG quality jump from Damnation to Vendetta was huge. Vendetta looked so realistic. Hopefully this is even better.

I seen it a few days ago, and I feel it's really entertaining. It feels amazing to have Jill back, but it's sad that Julia Voth isn't her model these days. But, oh yes...

The movie does feel incredibly MCU-esque, to be honest. :D

Even Piers from RE6 gets a mentioning. Cool stuff, indeed.

Sleepwalker

I seen it a few days ago, and I feel it's really entertaining. It feels amazing to have Jill back, but it's sad that Julia Voth isn't her model these days. But, oh yes...

The movie does feel incredibly MCU-esque, to be honest. :D

Even Piers from RE6 gets a mentioning. Cool stuff, indeed.
Lots of fan service although I found the villain very weak and the backstory not impressive at all.

A while back, I gathered you could just throw in a new villain with the Z-Virus, or any other letter, until the alphabet has been used up. People will forget about it by the next week, because of how pedestrian it all becomes. ;)

That's honestly what the franchise is feeling like now. Using the same overpowered characters is precisely why the series stopped being scary quite some time ago. That's because you know they can just kick ass, and have fun doing it.

So will the males age slowly too because of their infection?

By this point, only Ada and Barry haven't been infected. I don't count side characters or ones who only showed up in that one game, such as Sheva, Carlos, or Billy.

All that said, I would love to know what happened to Billy after the events of 0. Provided Capcom gives a damn, maybe he could return in a new CG film someday.

SkylineRKR

This was the best RE movie for me. Weak villain, but other than that it has Leon, Chris, Claire, Jill and Rebecca. RE3R Jill is my fave design of her and she's in. Death Island is more condensed and the pacing, except for the scene in the jail cells, was very high.

These movies are just fun to me. They all have stupid plot and even more stupid villains but it doesn't really matter. they have lots of fan service too.

It is definitely way more indicative of RE as a whole, over what Capcom threw into games like RE8. That sequel was like a weird fantasy adventure with some nothing face family man named Ethan, and Chris just looked and acted so very... meh.

I remember Michael Does Life and a bunch of us called it trash, and rightfully so. They were even trying to copy the Silent Hill nurses, with those goddamn stupid mannequins. Uh. It was a turd, painted gold.

The less said about that game, the better. For I don't believe vampires should be enemy types in the franchise, even if they're not stereotypical vampires.

The whole game had some cringey ideas behind it, like that fat guy flogging you arsenal. Holy hell.

The same with 7, to be honest. That game was bizarrely created as well. Although I don't think 7 was anywhere as offensive. And that's me being nice here.

But this movie certainly didn't really feel awfully shitty. I think fan service was well and truly delivered. So, hopefully Capcom can keep this up somehow.

Yes. The CG movies are fun. They are also canon as well. This means the plot is still interconnected with the games, even if RE is a particularly confusing series to follow along with.

The movies by Paul Anderson and that God awful Netflix show and recent movie reboot are not affiliated with the games. And you can thank your lucky stars for that.

Astral Dog

It is definitely way more indicative of RE as a whole, over what Capcom threw into games like RE8. That sequel was like a weird fantasy adventure with some nothing face family man named Ethan, and Chris just looked and acted so very... meh.

I remember Michael Does Life and a bunch of us called it trash, and rightfully so. They were even trying to copy the Silent Hill nurses, with those goddamn stupid mannequins. Uh. It was a turd, painted gold.

The less said about that game, the better. For I don't believe vampires should be enemy types in the franchise, even if they're not stereotypical vampires.

The whole game had some cringey ideas behind it, like that fat guy flogging you arsenal. Holy hell.

The same with 7, to be honest. That game was bizarrely created as well. Although I don't think 7 was anywhere as offensive. And that's me being nice here.

But this movie certainly didn't really feel awfully shitty. I think fan service was well and truly delivered. So, hopefully Capcom can keep this up somehow.
First person Resident Evil is awesome Capcom reinvented the wheel just when we all thought the hope for a real survival horror Resident Evil was long gone

They got it

Claire and Rebecca won't be aging either. Claire was infected by Alex Wesker on that prison island. Rebecca got infected by that Arias guy, because she resembles his deceased wife.

Seriously. Claire is almost like jailbait by this point. How many prisons does her sweet ass end up in?

ssringo

Just finished watching and it was alright if you're a fan of the franchise. Was some stupid fun cheesy fanservice going on with the legacy character meet-up and especially during the "final boss" fight. Though that villain monologue felt like half the movie runtime.

My big takeaway is that I want a god damn post RE5 Jill Valentine game already!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also just watched this. Leon was funny in this, his lines were sooo bad lol

A fun little fan service movie. I think if you weren't familiar with the source material, you'd be totally lost.

RaduN

What a piece of shit. Cheap, boring, stupid, horrible motion capture, really bottom of the barrel. They put zero effort in these spin offs lately, zero.

The games are a lot worse, though. I'm actually hoping they move on from the remakes.

Basically, RE is not scary any more, despite what anyone says. The main reason is just due to how long it has existed. Every character doesn't get scared, apart from maybe new characters with no experience of biohazards. The mainstream ones like Leon are too heroic.

The Evil Within 2 was a scary game, but nobody really liked it or talks about it. But that was a genuine survival horror experience.

april6e

How does the RE franchise get all these random people to finance these movies when every single one of them are mediocre to godawful? It legitimately blows my mind how these movies keep getting greenlit. Both the CGI/animated and live action series have not released a single decent attempt at the franchise.

Last edited:
It's because Capcom has been milking the series since it became an action saga, starting in 2005.

Ever since RE4 came out that year, Capcom knows they cannot really go back to being entirely about horror. They try with the remakes to restore that former feeling, to mixed results. But really. The primary problem is what occurs in the here and now.

Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire and most of the other regular characters, are simply way too used to being in these situations. It's why the games and franchise as a whole is more fun than creepy.

Pilgrimzero

Finally watched it. Kind of boring. Wish the action was more grounded. Leon should have been crippled in that motorcycle fight.

None of the characters look their age but at least Jill has a (lame) excuse.

Loved seeing all the mainlines working together. Long over due.

Franchise needs fresh blood. Capcom keeps introducing Next Gen characters but then never uses them again. Moira, Sherry, etc

NahaNago

It was pretty much a typical resident evil cg movie. I don't think the cg was too bad but I feel like they needed a different director in order to create better atmosphere/mood in the movie for the zombie elements. It really just came off as a low budget goofy horror movie.

Knowing what Capcom can be like, don't be surprised if they ignore Jill's recovery and then act as if she still suffers from her PTSD in the next game she appears in.

yanhash

Does a good CGI movie with realistic character models even exist, I mean beowolf, final fantasy movie, previous CGI RE films, polar express

Realist character model in films only work as shorts

Top Bottom