• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retailer puts warning notice on PS5s: ‘Microsoft has bought Activision!’

Concern

So you don't know anything about such stuff but you pretend it's legal because you know.... Cool. Just inform yourself before to talk, it's better.

Only 100 posts in this thread and 20 are yours already lol

Over It Reaction GIF by Cameo

Fredrik

so you put a sign in front of the Xbox Series S saying hey "activision is owned by MS get your COD here!"..or whatever..you dont discourage the sale of another product.
It’s dumb of course but there is nothing to sell anyway, the majority will just look at the always empty PS5 shelf and walk away without buying anything at all. If they go ”Hey listen!” and lure them to look at a not so empty Series S shelf I’m guessing they think it could end with a sale.

I actually respect the move. It's an honest one. Some may not understand it, but some don't comprehend what people in retail often have to end up dealing with on their day to day. Sometimes angry and completely irrational people approach them angry with their purchase, expecting to get results the person working in the store can't possibly deliver to them.

This sign and all signs like it is an attempt to get out in front of possible incidents. Don't go buying a Playstation 5 with the goal being Call of Duty games only to then come back later and try to fight the staff claiming you got fucked over intentionally. The truly hardcore of the hardcore will not put up any such warning or tell buyers to be careful. You buy that fucking Playstation and you LIKE IT! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Are ya'll seriously discussing the legality and morality of what was likely done by a single store manager who had nothing better to do and a printer with the company's letterhead?

Gaf is seriously weird in taking sensationalized weekend articles from some websites at face value, at times. 🤔

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
so you put a sign in front of the Xbox Series S saying hey "activision is owned by MS get your COD here!"..or whatever..you dont discourage the sale of another product.
Keep your Sony stocks, son, they aren't going anywhere.

It's not about discouraging anything, it's about telling the majority of gamers, the casuals, that call of duty eventually will be removed from PlayStation, so they won't get into some sort of shit storm from retarted buyers.

It's not Phil who paid them for the sign, it's not about discouraging.

It's just a public service announcement.

assurdum

Banned
I actually respect the move. It's an honest one. Some may not understand it, but some don't comprehend what people in retail often have to end up dealing with on their day to day. Sometimes angry and completely irrational people approach them angry with their purchase, expecting to get results the person working in the store can't possibly deliver to them.

This sign and all signs like it is an attempt to get out in front of possible incidents. Don't go buying a Playstation 5 with the goal being Call of Duty games only to then come back later and try to fight the staff claiming you got fucked over intentionally. The truly hardcore of the hardcore will not put up any such warning or tell buyers to be careful. You buy that fucking Playstation and you LIKE IT! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This was posted on Resetera days ago. IIRC, they said the guy who worked there was an Xbox fanboy and he put it up.
Animated GIF

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
This was posted on Resetera days ago. IIRC, they said the guy who worked there was an Xbox fanboy and he put it up.
Not buying this. You saw this days ago and you need to say IIRC? Bullshit. Is your memory that bad or is it wishful thinking that an Xbox fanboy would do this? Definitely the latter.

Help the potential customers form the potential mental breakdown in the future when they realize that can't play COD anymore.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter what the reason was, it's still a common sense warning entering a store to purchase games. If, for example, a guy walks into a store and says they want to buy an Xbox Series X to play Final Fantasy 16 on, do you believe the person in that store isn't suppose to alert them that so far the game hasn't been announced for Xbox and is only so far announced for Playstation 5? And that they don't even know for sure if it will come to Xbox Series X?

Because that's what I would do were I informed. Maybe a lot of people just genuinely will not know.

Swift_Star

Banned
Doesn't matter what the reason was, it's still a common sense warning entering a store to purchase games. If, for example, a guy walks into a store and says they want to buy an Xbox Series X to play Final Fantasy 16 on, do you believe the person in that store isn't suppose to alert them that so far the game hasn't been announced for Xbox and is only so far announced for Playstation 5? And that they don't even know for sure if it will come to Xbox Series X?

Because that's what I would do were I informed. Maybe a lot of people just genuinely will not know.
You do know what you’re saying makes no sense lmao. This was made in good fun to get reactions on twitter and on ERA. But wouldn’t be done by any real retailer.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not buying this. You saw this days ago and you need to say IIRC? Bullshit. Is your memory that bad or is it wishful thinking that an Xbox fanboy would do this? Definitely the latter.
He's a fanboy. Block him and move on with your life.

Much better like that, and prevents you from being triggered and get a ban.

Don't be like me.

assurdum

Banned

Jesus man. This guy was caught off guard as a notorious Xbox fanboy in resetera and still you are talking of common sense. Are you for real?

Last edited:
Jesus. Now I need to know why.

There's much worse than even that.

This one was peaceful. I once saw something where a person was going around hurling bottles at children. Yes, children! Inside a major supermarket they were going around looking for people who had children with them, and tossing breakable glasses of vinegar, oil, pickles, anything in a breakable glass, they were throwing at kids. After for a brief stint being stunned at what the fuck I was seeing, I go over to go stop this crazy bitch, and what comes next? An angry mother comes charging her, tackles her to the floor and slits her fucking throat with a piece of a broken bottle. She had 7 year old daughter who had her whole forehead badly cut open from the woman throwing glass.

The mother was arrested, put on trial, but never successfully convicted, and rightfully so. That person got exactly what they deserved.

PerfectDark

Banned
CoD is not good anymore and I buy it every year have not played the last 3 much. I have everything. You dream it for gaming I have it. No reason why playstation can't make a Soccom game, or their own FPS like CSGO or something . No reason why playstation can't make their own arpg like Diablo. You could bring Last Epoc to PS5 and it would blow Diablo 4 out of the water.

I own all consoles. I like the PS5 the best but I spend most my time on my Xbox. If money was even a thing for me I wouldn't need the PS5. I have two boys that game all day and they don't even want my PS5.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
I get why it bothers people but COD is just that big and important, especially to casuals.

There is definitely rando's that would buy a console and have no idea that its POSSIBLE that cod could go exclusive.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
1. It was in a PlayStation OT 24 thread in resetera
2. You have 100+pages gets posted within a few days.
3. The guy said it was being discussed on reddit and someone mentioned the retailer.
4. I didn't bother saving it because I didn't know people would make post like this whining about it.

OK, which one of you xbox fans own this store?

You don't tell me what to do in my establishment!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

You do know what you’re saying makes no sense lmao. This was made in good fun to get reactions on twitter and on ERA. But wouldn’t be done by any real retailer.

Ohh, so it's actually a troll, the actual store didn't do it? That's all you had to say. I thought you meant the person who works at the store is an xbox fanboy. And, yes, it makes a lot of sense to properly inform buyers about what they may be getting into if they're getting it for a specific purpose. I've seen it done many times before. I've walked into gamestop before, and when buying an xbox one the store owner asks me if I liked Uncharted because I was looking at the trailer running on the TV. I was like "hell yea, can't wait for part 4" then they told me "then you might want to get a PS4 instead." I told them I already had one, as well as an xbox one, was just picking up another one as a gift.

That's just proper customer service if your staff is knowledgeable. What if I were really dumb enough to be buying an Xbox One thinking I'd get to play Uncharted 4? The person had to be certain lol.

Kagey K

Banned
Jesus man. This guy was caught off guard as a notorious Xbox fanboy in resetera and still you are talking of common sense. Are you for real?
Care to show where? All I can find is accusations of it being a fanboy but no proof.

TBH I didn’t spend much time looking as I’d rather not spend my time there.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I bet most people were like What's an Activison?
100% this.

I agree with most of the sensible posts in here that this was probably the act of a frothing at the mouth fanboy that works there.

1. It’s not even legally finalised yet, to be pedantic about it
2. Even when it is, this won’t be an actual concern for at least a couple of years
3. Most average consumers will just be confused by this notice, causing unnecessary issues at the till
4. Joe Public isn’t anywhere near as savvy about this stuff as nerds like to think they are
5. Stop being weird, nerdy game shop employee

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wasn't this picture thing already confirmed as a fake, as in not an official store notice ?

Please mods close this topic before it goes even more downhill.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think they're just covering their bases that teenagers/younger folks who only play CoD won't start bringing their console back to the store to return.
Wouldn’t that be two years down the road?

I think it is a good be aware notice of the potential future situation where those that buy CoD annually might not be able to play CoD though.

It’s nice to know a shop is up front with customers. That earns my respect.

Top Bottom