• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: US to change course on Climate Change (pulling out of Paris Agreement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
So much time is spent on placing blame. I don't care about blame right now, I care about what do we do now.
Don't be a dumbass and vote for the Democrat candidates in the next few elections. Yes, even if they're not perfect, because no candidate is fucking perfect, but "not perfect" is right now infinitely preferable to "Republican" right now.

In the meantime, protest and support groups that stand up for the future of your fellow Americans.

Biske

Does the Paris Agreement completely fall apart without the US involved, then? Like, if we vote out this piece of shit in 4 years, can we join back in? Or does it just not exist then?

The bigger problem is we dont have time to waste and fuck around. Can't just do 4 year pauses Willy nilly. We didn't have time to waste decades ago.

Also running around the world showing countries how you can't trust us with anything and we are an unreliable partner... At this point why would countries want to bother when we back out of everything having to deal with reality.

Nah, I think I'm going to blame the people who voted for this, and the people they voted in doing this, thanks. Getting so fucking tired of this shit displacing blame to those who aren't currently doing the thing in question.

Yeah, it's called "enabling." Try looking it up some time. If the Democrats took climate change seriously they wouldn't let this shit fly. Instead, because "bipartisanship" and "pragmatism," they create a horrible precedent which enables this crap to come crashing down on the globe.

If Liberalism plans on staying forever reactionary to whatever the Republicans do for the next 4 years, we're going to be putting up with Trump for 8.

Because that's not really his platform. It's always been about making as much money as possible for him and all his friends. He doesn't really care about America being #1. He cares about getting his.

Does Trump even have any friends? I'm pretty sure he treats all of his "friends" more like business partners than actual pals.

That's probably not going to happen, but could you even imagine the tension it would add if say the EU was negotiating with China in prep for just that.

I can imagine it and it's why the EU won't step into that minefield. Not with Trump's alleged Russia connections and his view towards NATO. That said if Russia attacks one of the Baltic counties and Trump doesn't respond sanctions on the US will definitely be on the table.

HvySky

"I'll be dead by the time the environment is irreversibly fucked so why should I care?"

To think that Trump supporters actually believe this is so disheartening. The amount of damage Trump and his administration are doing not only to the United States, but the entire world, is going to be devastating if he stays in office. Like, Pence is a lunatic in his own right, but I feel like even he would reel it in a bit.

Pyrokai

Either it collapses, or another major player (eg China) steps up and leads.
The problem with the US leaving is it's likely to cause other nations to exit in the name of competitive self-destruction.
America not helping changes the formula to the point where I wouldn't blame other nations for deeming it not worth it to pursue.

The upside is that the rest of the world will keep moving forward with Paris, as are many cities and states in the U.S.

It's bizarre to me that Trump, whose whole platform is all about winning and being #1 in the world against everyone else, is perfectly fine with China taking the lead in a fast-growing segment of the energy industry. This is the argument that Democrats need to be putting forth from now on: why are Donald Trump and the Republican Party perfectly fine with buying Chinese-made solar panels, rather than building our own?

I'm going to hope quote #2 is correct and that China leads. They actually DO seem to give a shit about climate change, and their economy will be bolstered by its flourishing renewable energy sector.

The US will just spin its wheels in the coal mines.

I hope.....

Blader

I love how people are defending Musk with that bullshit "it's good he has Trump's ear" defense, in a thread about pulling out of the climate agreement, mind you.

Well, it IS good he has Trump's ear, even if he ultimately can't translate that influence into policy. You never know until you try, and Musk has at least four years to keep trying.

Toxi

Banned
If the Democrats took climate change seriously they wouldn't let this shit fly.
The Democrats hold minorities in the House and Senate and have lost the Executive Branch.

They will let this shit fly because they don't have any real power to refuse it.

Future

So much time is spent on placing blame. I don't care about blame right now, I care about what do we do now.

Well looking back on that idiocy is a start. It's not about blame, it's understanding why we were here. All the people that chose not to vote or vote third party, even though they disagreed with trump on everything. People that felt both sides were the same or whatever. Unless they truly didn't care and think it literally would be no different if Clinton was president, then hopefully they can finally see how they were wrong

And now they have to wait. Can't do anything now but protest and in 2 years actually vote.

Blader

I'm going to hope quote #2 is correct and that China leads. They actually DO seem to give a shit about climate change, and their economy will be bolstered by its flourishing renewable energy sector.

I hope.....

Yeah, I don't know about the state of the treaty itself, but there's no way China will be ending its climate policies. There is a lot of internal pressure to adopt more renewables, in large part because of the public health hazards popping up in that country.

Yeah, it's called "enabling." Try looking it up some time. If the Democrats took climate change seriously they wouldn't let this shit fly. Instead, because "bipartisanship" and "pragmatism," they create a horrible precedent which enables this crap to come crashing down on the globe.

If Liberalism plans on staying forever reactionary to whatever the Republicans do for the next 4 years, we're going to be putting up with Trump for 8.

What the hell are you even talking about. Democrats are the only ones doing anything about climate change.

prag16

Banned
You can thank Obama for consolidating power within the Executive Branch. He created a turnkey tyranny and then tossed it to Trump before jumping on the plane to a private island retreat.

That's the problem with continually giving an executive (or the government in general) more and more power. Eventually somebody you don't like will be in power.

The Democrats hold minorities in the House and Senate and have lost the Executive Branch.

This is the consequence.

I agree. Their half-measures on many issues have led to this inevitability.

What the hell are you even talking about. Democrats are the only ones doing anything about climate change.

The Green Party's proposal was the "compromise" plan at the rate climate change is currently destroying the globe. The Democrats weren't doing nearly enough, and now they can't do anything.

Gutek

Well, it IS good he has Trump's ear, even if he ultimately can't translate that influence into policy. You never know until you try, and Musk has at least four years to keep trying.

There was a word that Europeans had for that in the Second World War: collaborateur

norinrad

Elon Musk is kissing Trump's ass right now. He can go fuck himself. Opportunistic piece of shit.

Well if he still wants funding for his solar projects then yes he will have to kiss the devil's ass.

Didn't the Facebook guy recently become religious?

Hermii

One thing you can't accuse Trump of, is not holding his promises. The problem is he made terrible promises, why the fuck did you elect this guy America!

simpsons%20riot.png

Call me crazy but I think the blame chiefly belongs to Trump and the people who supported him.

You are crazy

Trump was far less popular than the last two republican president nominees. This should have been a sweeping win for the democrats, but they chose Clinton in the end.

Steejee

I hope.....

The other possibility is that Trump's stupidity drives us into a major recession, which drives down CO2 output (as it did during the great recession) until a democrat (hopefully) wins in 2020. Thinkin' positive!

trembli0s

I hope.....

I don't quite get this argument. If China really does start creating a flourishing renewable sector that is economically feasible, then the logical outcome is that other nations, including the US will also adopt those economically feasible renewable policies.

This would be like China's outright reverse engineering of products but in reverse.

The state and local levels (I.e. major cities). are going to have to work double time in order to mitigate the damage this guy is doing.

Still though, remember that the US can't actually "leave" the agreement for at least another four years, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, Trump can say that he's doing it, but I feel as if he breaks the rules of it now the other countries are gonna give the US a hard time.

gcubed

i really have to question if Musk has any kind of common sense if he still thinks he has any say or influence over Trump. There is one person who has influence over Trump and he is with him every day all day, everyone else is just wasting their time. I'm shocked that Musk, as intelligent as he is, is too stupid to realize this.

I ... i don't get how all countries have to come together to make an agreement, and then it just takes a signature to pull out of it. I mean, it doesn't make sense why this was so hard to put in place , if it's so easy to pull out. Can someone explain?

by the way #scienceMarch . Check it out

Toxi

Banned
You are crazy

Trump was far less popular then the last two republican president elects. This should have been a sweeping win for the democrats, but they chose Clinton in the end.
Politicians don't employ mind control. At the end of the day, it's the voter who makes the decision.

The Democrats need to improve their strategies, especially when it comes to reaching all the states and campaigning at lower levels. But the American voter needs a serious slap in the head, which unfortunately is exactly what this administration will give them.

darkwing

The state and local levels (I.e. major cities). are going to have to work double time in order to mitigate the damage this guy is doing.

Still though, remember that the US can't actually "leave" the agreement for at least another four years, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, Trump can say that he's doing it, but I feel as if he breaks the rules of it now the other countries are gonna give the US a hard time.

as someone said, there are no sanctions built into the Paris Agreement, it's basically just an agreement, how will the other countries give the US a hard time?

Blader

There was a word that Europeans had for that in the Second World War: collaborateur

Okay.

You are crazy

Trump was far less popular then the last two republican president elects. This should have been a sweeping win for the democrats, but they chose Clinton in the end.

This "the election should have been a slam dunk for Democrats" nonsense needs to stop; this was always going to be a close election, regardless of who the nominees were. There are a lot of fundamental elements to this campaign -- the extreme difficulty of a party winning a third consecutive term in the White House and an uneven economic recovery that was not paying off among many working, middle-class families who felt they being ignored by the Obama administration/Democratic Party -- that was always going to make Hillary or Bernie or Biden's electoral chances an uphill battle.

I ... i don't get how all countries have to come together to make an agreement, and then it just takes a signature to pull out of it. I mean, it doesn't make sense why this was so hard to put in place , if it's so easy to pull out. Can someone explain?

by the way #scienceMarch . Check it out

Because getting nearly 200 countries to agree to anything is hard work, and there's no enforcement in place to keep any one country from pulling out? It's much easier to destroy something than to build something.

i really have to question if Musk has any kind of common sense if he still thinks he has any say or influence over Trump. There is one person who has influence over Trump and he is with him every day all day, everyone else is just wasting their time, and i'm shocked that Musk, as intelligent as he is, is too stupid to realize this.

I think he's trying to not get his company bankrupt. Biggest client of SpaceX is NASA..

Not even that! They had a billion dollar campaign machine, and their messaging was idiotic memes, a Broad City cameo, trotting out "real billionaires," talking down to Black Lives Matter, quoting the plot of Modern Warfare 1 to define the situation in Pakistan, and constant just... embarrassments.

Obama had Yes We Can - took this shitty situation and said let's come together and build something, a great message, real charisma. How can someone say "I'm With Her" when they're barely struggling to make ends meet, with no real way out except divisive means tested wonkish claptrap that leaves far too many people falling through the cracks?

Sorry, sorry. I meant... Tim Kaine in the Membrane!!

slit

Hey, he's keeping his promises. I'm not surprised at all. The U.S. deserves this, unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't.

I don't know american politics that well ( and it feels like nobody really does at this point ) is there anything stopping him from doing that?

Trump is personally Pro- gay marriage.

The republican party however, has always been traditionally anti gay marriage. I guess there's the fear that if he appoints to many conservatives into the government they'll try to undermine him to revoke gay rights.

But with the way he has no issues dolling out executive orders, it seems unlikely Trump would let that happen behind his back.

as someone said, there are no sanctions built into the Paris Agreement, it's basically just an agreement, how will the other countries give the US a hard time?

If that's the case, why does he need to "pull out" of it?

If it's just an agreement with no sanctions built in, why does he have to say he's "pulling out" of it when he could just flat-out ignore it completely and do whatever he wants regardless?

There must be some sort of consequence prompting him to do this.

gcubed

Not even that! They had a billion dollar campaign machine, and their messaging was idiotic memes, a Broad City cameo, trotting out "real billionaires," talking down to Black Lives Matter, quoting the plot of Modern Warfare 1 to define the situation in Pakistan, and constant just... embarrassments.

Obama had Yes We Can - took this shitty situation and said let's come together and build something, a great message, real charisma. How can someone say "I'm With Her" when they're barely struggling to make ends meet, with no real way out except divisive means tested wonkish claptrap that leaves far too many people falling through the cracks?

Sorry, sorry. I meant... Tim Kaine in the Membrane!!

i dont give two fucks if they spent a billion dollars by live streaming people taking a shit in the middle of the street, if you didn't vote against Trump you are a god damn moron and I'm not sure how you have the mental capacity to make it out of bed in the morning without falling down.

You know who doesn't need to be coddled and massaged and told them how lovely special snowflakes they are in order to push a button? Republican voters, and this is why Democrats can never sustain any momentum.

Feelings and charisma in a candidate is for losers, as proven this year and in 2000. You want to be coddled, thats fine, go cry in a corner and let the adults figure this out

Usobuko

Banned
> India and China are worse offenders
> Both parties are the same
> But her emails ...
> Climate Change is Nature doing its things, man play insignificant parts to it
> Who cares? We winning, your liberal tears are delicious

yeah

Blader

If that's the case, why does he need to "pull out" of it?

If it's just an agreement with no sanctions built in, why does he have to say he's "pulling out" of it when he could just flat-out ignore it completely and do whatever he wants regardless?

There must be some sort of consequence prompting him to do this.

Because he has to make a big show of it.

NewFresh

Trump is personally Pro- gay marriage.

The republican party however, has always been traditionally anti gay marriage. I guess there's the fear that if he appoints to many conservatives into the government they'll try to undermine him to revoke gay rights.

But with the way he has no issues dolling out executive orders, it seems unlikely Trump would let that happen behind his back.

His base would eat it up. He doesn't care about principals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom