• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Bauer91

I was under the impression that pretty much all decent players play with GH guitars. But I watched a random Rock Band 3 stream on Twitch yesterday and the guitar player was killing it, regularly getting 99% and 100% on the hard RBN songs using a Rock Band guitar. I was super impressed.

Argh. That makes the overall package way more expensive. Might have to buy the Game + Adaptor and use my old stuff.
Given my experience last gen, I'm doing this and might pick up a band bundle in a year or so when the retailers need to clear inventory.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was under the impression that pretty much all decent players play with GH guitars. But I watched a random Rock Band 3 stream on Twitch yesterday and the guitar player was killing it, regularly getting 99% and 100% on the hard RBN songs using a Rock Band guitar. I was super impressed.
I was fairly good in RB1/2 with the RB guitars. I couldn't get used to the clicky strum on the GH guitar (which is what people seem to prefer, funny enough).

FyreWulff

Only the RB1 guitars were bad. Once they got rid of the mushy strumbar it's really been down to personal preference. I prefer the strats.

I have a wood RB strat and the clicky strumbar actually annoys me. I prefer the way the later regular strats did it, where you just 'felt' the strumbar fit instead of hearing it. Unfortunately my RB2 strat decided to stop pairing to any 360 one day. So the woodstrat is all I have.

So is there any way to check if you had the song export DLC for RB1 and RB2? I had the original games on XB360 and I thought I did, but if I didn't I'm just going to swap to PS4 because I didn't really have any DLC on RB.

Raide

Given my experience last gen, I'm doing this and might pick up a band bundle in a year or so when the retailers need to clear inventory.

I think this sounds like the correct idea. Did they actually do a wireless Drumset in the end? I still have my old wired version, so I will have to factor in having to rebuy a wireless set if they do them.

So is there any way to check if you had the song export DLC for RB1 and RB2? I had the original games on XB360 and I thought I did, but if I didn't I'm just going to swap to PS4 because I didn't really have any DLC on RB.

You can look in your purchase history. If you don't still have your 360, you can still check via xbox.com, Xbox settings -> Manage devices -> See Xbox 360 purchase history.

I was fairly good in RB1/2 with the RB guitars. I couldn't get used to the clicky strum on the GH guitar (which is what people seem to prefer, funny enough).
I could go either way on the strum bars, but its the buttons is why I prefer the RB guitars. The buttons go all the way to the edges, are less stiff, and easy to slide.

Has anyone played arcade guitar hero? those buttons are the worst

I could go either way on the strum bars, but its the buttons is why I prefer the RB guitars. The buttons go all the way to the edges, are less stiff, and easy to slide.

Has anyone played arcade guitar hero? those buttons are the worst

Yeah, its really bad but I'm not sure if its that level when it first come out. It always just feels "played" more than just poor build. I'd like one to have though if it worked with my system lol

Bauer91

Only the RB1 guitars were bad. Once they got rid of the mushy strumbar it's really been down to personal preference. I prefer the strats.

I have a wood RB strat and the clicky strumbar actually annoys me. I prefer the way the later regular strats did it, where you just 'felt' the strumbar fit instead of hearing it. Unfortunately my RB2 strat decided to stop pairing to any 360 one day. So the woodstrat is all I have.

I only have a RB1 Rock Band guitar and have played with it a ton before getting GH guitars. My wired WoR guitar (haven't heard of anyone else having this) squeaks while strumming and the frets are much harder to press but I still play better with it. Now I'd really like to try the RB4 guitar.

Ninhead

Any word on Ion support or the Rock Band 3 import or the old instrument adaptor?

Just hadn't seen it on this page yet and figured we could get it out of the way early.

Storm360

Any word on Ion support or the Rock Band 3 import or the old instrument adaptor?

Just hadn't seen it on this page yet and figured we could get it out of the way early.

Ion = No
RB3 import being looked into
Instrument adapter available at launch, X1 standalone bundle includes it

Man, I feel like such a scrub. I've been using the same RB1 guitar I got when Sears clearanced out the band bundles way back when.

I'm really torn with this one. I'd really like to pick up the game on release because we've been playing a ton of RB3 over the summer, but we've only got one guitar and I can't really afford another one. If only they let us use the keytar for guitar/bass again. :(

chunk3rvd

I have a few of the Queen songs on my wish list. If I don't care about keys I may as well just grab the RB1 versions while they're still cheap, rather than the RB3 versions yeah? Assume they'll be redone for 4 with harmonies anyway so I may as well just buy the cheaper ones. Any reason not to?

FyreWulff

I have a few of the Queen songs on my wish list. If I don't care about keys I may as well just grab the RB1 versions while they're still cheap, rather than the RB3 versions yeah? Assume they'll be redone for 4 with harmonies anyway so I may as well just buy the cheaper ones. Any reason not to?

Unless you specifically only want to play guitar on certain songs like Somebody to Love, there is no current downside to the RB1/2 versions, since yeah, they'll get harmonies too in RB4.

edit: keys weren't charted on guitar in the RB1/2 version of Killer Queen, so it's a sparse chart in both versions

amusingly the pro guitar was charted to the keyboard if you bought the pro upgrade for the original release

Raide

You're more likely to pick up a used and possible clunky RB1 set of instruments. If you can pick up any of the RB 3 ones, they will probably last longer. The RB3 ones also have the extra buttons down the neck.

For RB4 hey have done rebuilds for the new instruments, so the buttons are better, different strum-bar tech and overall usability tweaks. A few youtube videos are out there showing what changes but you have to weigh it up.

I like the idea of a new set but I would either have to get the wireless adaptor to use my old wireless guitars, or pay out for another new one.

chunk3rvd

Unless you specifically only want to play guitar on certain songs like Somebody to Love, there is no current downside to the RB1/2 versions, since yeah, they'll get harmonies too in RB4.

edit: keys weren't charted on guitar in the RB1/2 version of Killer Queen, so it's a sparse chart in both versions

amusingly the pro guitar was charted to the keyboard if you bought the pro upgrade for the original release

Thanks. Will just go with the RB1 versions. Bought 48 songs the other day and still have 30 more I want to buy before the RB1/2 DLC increases in price

You're more likely to pick up a used and possible clunky RB1 set of instruments. If you can pick up any of the RB 3 ones, they will probably last longer. The RB3 ones also have the extra buttons down the neck.

For RB4 hey have done rebuilds for the new instruments, so the buttons are better, different strum-bar tech and overall usability tweaks. A few youtube videos are out there showing what changes but you have to weigh it up.

I like the idea of a new set but I would either have to get the wireless adaptor to use my old wireless guitars, or pay out for another new one.

Did you mean to quote me?

Damn it! I can't believe I missed the Band in a Box Best Buy preorder. Hopefully they will get more stock. Does anyone know if you can preorder in store at the kiosk?

Thanks. Will just go with the RB1 versions. Bought 48 songs the other day and still have 30 more I want to buy before the RB1/2 DLC increases in price.
This is my first Rock Band game as a married man, and I wound up buying almost $50 in DLC that my wife requested earlier this week. Between all the exports, the DLC I've bought on my own over the years, and this latest batch, I can't even venture a guess as to how many songs I have now. I'm ridiculously excited. The original plan was to just get the game and use my existing instruments, but my drums are kind of beaten up, so I went for the band in a box bundle for the PS4.

Any word yet on how the DLC rollout will work? If we'll have to download songs individually, if all songs will be available on day one or if they'll be rolled out in waves, etc.?

Do we know how this: "Yes! Content purchased from the store or exported from a disc will transfer over to the new generation of consoles at not addition cost as we make that content available," is going to work yet?

I have 1, 2 and 3 on PS3, with the former 2 exported into 3, but my understanding is they haven't really said how everything from 3 will make it to 4 (I realize some of it wont), other than the above from the FAQ.

"As we make that content available" is kind of ominous. Apologies if it's already been cleared up.

Ninhead

Do we know how this: "Yes! Content purchased from the store or exported from a disc will transfer over to the new generation of consoles at not addition cost as we make that content available," is going to work yet?

I have 1, 2 and 3 on PS3, with the former 2 exported into 3, but my understanding is they haven't really said how everything from 3 will make it to 4 (I realize some of it wont), other than the above from the FAQ.

"As we make that content available" is kind of ominous. Apologies if it's already been cleared up.

It takes time. They're essentially reauthoring every available song. A big chunk will be available at launch, but they're not committing to all of it.

FyreWulff

They will appear in your download history on PS4

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

FWIW, the only difference between rb1 and rb2 and on guitars is that the new guitars have a sensor that lets you auto calibrate tvs. Both the rb1 and rb2 on instruments had the same amount of buttons, referring to the solo buttons you're mentioning.

Shock

Banned
Time for me to let the tears drip.

Dear Guest Shopper,

Thank you for shopping at Mad Catz Store.

Your Mad Catz order has been canceled.

Order Summary:

Item
Qty
Rate
Amount
Rock Band™ 4 Band-In-A-Box™ Software Bundle for Xbox One™ 1 $249.99
$249.99
$187.49
Tax $0.00
Total $187.49

Storm360

FWIW, the only difference between rb1 and rb2 and on guitars is that the new guitars have a sensor that lets you auto calibrate tvs. Both the rb1 and rb2 on instruments had the same amount of buttons, referring to the solo buttons you're mentioning.

RB2 guitar is also better built apparently with more responsive and durable components, although they were never released over here so never got to try them, if you're on Xbox too original RB1 guitars won't work due to them being wired

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
RB2 guitar is also better built apparently with more responsive and durable components, although they were never released over here so never got to try them, if you're on Xbox too original RB1 guitars won't work due to them being wired

Yeah, the rb2 guitars were much better, I was just correcting him saying that the RB1 and 2 guitars had solo buttons.

And, my memory might be off but Harmonix did eventually release a stand alone wireless rb1 stratocaster. Though the ones that came with the initial bundle were wired, because it costed more to use microsoft's proprietary wireless.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Time for me to let the tears drip.

Dear Guest Shopper,

Thank you for shopping at Mad Catz Store.

Your Mad Catz order has been canceled.

Order Summary:

Item
Qty
Rate
Amount
Rock Band™ 4 Band-In-A-Box™ Software Bundle for Xbox One™ 1 $249.99
$249.99
$187.49
Tax $0.00
Total $187.49

Sad news indeed, my order was just canceled as well. According to Mad Catz, the Labor Day discount only applied to in Stock items, not for preorders.

Storm360

Yeah, the rb2 guitars were much better, I was just correcting him saying that the RB1 and 2 guitars had solo buttons.

And, my memory might be off but Harmonix did eventually release a stand alone wireless rb1 stratocaster. Though the ones that came with the initial bundle were wired, because it costed more to use microsoft's proprietary wireless.

Eh, I wouldn't know, we got screwed on RB instruments, all we had was stock RB1 stuff

Coolluck

This thread is the only place I've heard anyone even talking about the new game(s). Do not go quietly and all that. Hope it catches on again.

This thread is great.

Would love to play online with you guys! Maybe HMX will add online play if the game performs well.

I'm planning a big Rock Band party for the weekend of the release of the new game but the response amongst my friends has been really tepid and it makes me sad. I'm still looking forward to a fun party but the mood isn't the same as it was around the Rock Band 2 days. A lot of my friends have stopped gaming altogether.

Still incredibly hyped for RB4 though!

RB1 covered the battery cover with a screw.
RB2 made it just a pressure hinge.

Storm360

This thread is great.

Would love to play online with you guys! Maybe HMX will add online play if the game performs well.

I'm planning a big Rock Band party for the weekend of the release of the new game but the response amongst my friends has been really tepid and it makes me sad. I'm still looking forward to a fun party but the mood isn't the same as it was around the Rock Band 2 days. A lot of my friends have stopped gaming altogether.

Still incredibly hyped for RB4 though!

I really hope we get online working, I'm up for RB3 anytime but it would sure make it easier to find people to play with if RB4 was online

Neil_J_UK

Ahhh am I totally boned? I just bought a £50 Xbox Live credit voucher, redeemed it, and went to buy some DLC. It's only letting me pay with a credit card? I don't have access to a 360 anymore. Can I use the credit to buy the songs?

Top Bottom