• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Superunknown & Light Up The Night are makin' me moist.

image.php

How do you view the Rock Band games? Some people would say they're lame and for has been never was performers.

I look at it as a new way to consume music.

How do people who play real instruments view this game?

I played guitar for a few years. I learned to play okay despite the lack of practice, but I eventually stopped.

I prefer the music games because I don't have to commit to taking time to learn of all the songs I like - I can just sightread them quickly - and because it helps expose me to music I haven't heard.

Cade

No One Like You was confirmed a while ago, it's a rerecord.

I'm glad to see Impression and Caught Up in You, though. And I just had an Oh That Song moment with Short Skirt.
Yeah I think I even posted in here in excitement about NOLY. So far the set list is a lot of stuff I've never heard and a few songs I'm pretty hype about.

ViciousDS

Banned
Has there been any news with regards to the Lips microphones working with RB4?

if its USB........should work no problem PS4........Xbox One, not sure

Microsoft has been a bunch of idiots when it comes to using the USB port for audio....its the reason why they sell a damn adapter to use a headset. Can't believe 2 years into the consoles life and they still won't give consumers the ability to actually be wire free with the a50's. Pisses me off so much.

Bauer91

Hold On Loosely is one of those (great) songs that has a long solo that I always mess up just a tiny bit and therefore can't gold star it.

cabot

if its USB........should work no problem PS4........Xbox One, not sure

Microsoft has been a bunch of idiots when it comes to using the USB port for audio....its the reason why they sell a damn adapter to use a headset. Can't believe 2 years into the consoles life and they still won't give consumers the ability to actually be wire free with the a50's. Pisses me off so much.

Xbox exclusive and wireless.

Is this dongle they're talking about going to be just a catch all for 360 wireless products?

I really like wireless mics :(

FyreWulff

Xbox exclusive and wireless.

Is this dongle they're talking about going to be just a catch all for 360 wireless products?

I really like wireless mics :(

We don't even know if the Lips mics are compatible via the dongle yet. And they were sort of weird, they didn't take a controller slot, but didn't count as a 360 mic either. They were their own special things to the OS, so it'd probably require some heavy lifting on Microsoft's side to get working in RB4.

cabot

We don't even know if the Lips mics are compatible via the dongle yet. And they were sort of weird, they didn't take a controller slot, but didn't count as a 360 mic either. They were their own special things to the OS, so it'd probably require some heavy lifting on Microsoft's side to get working in RB4.

I'm buying a Xbone for this game, lift away microsoft!

*watches as no lifting occurs, cries*

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but as someone who never owned Rock Band (only played it at friends' houses), what is the cheapest way to get all the previous songs into my library before 4 releases?

How does the importing work now? Could I do any of it with used games? (I heard RB1 just needs the disc to export to RB2, I think? Not a code?)

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but as someone who never owned Rock Band (only played it at friends' houses), what is the cheapest way to get all the previous songs into my library before 4 releases?

How does the importing work now? Could I do any of it with used games? (I heard RB1 just needs the disc to export to RB2, I think? Not a code?)

The good news is that yeah, you just need the disc and $5 to export Rock Band 1. The bad news is that the exports for Rock Band 2 and Lego Rock Band are no longer offered and only a handful of songs from those two games are available as DLC (basically just the Bon Jovi and Queen songs).

Caught Up in You, The Impression That I Get and Superunknown are god-tier tracks. Setlist just gets better and better.

Cool seeing Tijuana Sweetheart (VAGIANT AND THAT'S WHAT I'LL KEEP CALLING YOU) on disc. Love HMXHellion to death.

Billy Talent are a great band and I can think of a lot of songs off the top of my head that would be a great fit for a rhythm game like Rock Band.
Try Honesty, Fallen Leaves, Red Flag and Viking Death March to name a few.

I'd love for Viking Death March to make it in somehow over the span of the games life.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Hey folks... someone got an itchy finger and pushed our website update live like 30 minutes early. /TABLE FLIP Hope you like the new songs we just announced.

But here's what I'm excited about that was NOT part of that leak: standalone discs are now available for pre-order. Xbox One is $79.99 and comes with the Legacy Game Controller Adapter which lets you use your last-gen wireless Xbox 360 instruments on your Xbox One. PS4 is $59.99 and if you have last-gen wireless PS3 instruments, you don't need any additional hardware.

This is cool because a) it makes it the cheapest game in the category if you're a previous-gen player with wireless instruments (there are so many of you) and b) we worked really hard to make this happen for players.

To answer a few questions up front: we'll have a compatability chart available soon so you know which instruments work; we're updating this all of the time, too -- there are a lot of instruments. Wired USB mics from last-gen work without an adapter or anything else on both platforms; we have the best vocal game engine/gameplay EVER, too, with harmonies and Freestyle Vocals.

Okay. There you go. If you're at PAX, come play the latest build of the game. It's baller town.

I'm so torn on a digital copy for my PS4 but kind of need a new guitar but it's one of those games where it would be nice to not have to disc change for.

Dilemmas.

Cool, happy there's a bundle that includes a dongle, though it's a bit more than I was expecting.

If I wasn't deep into dlc on Xbox as a platform, PS4 would be a no brainer. 10 free songs and 20 dollars cheaper. Ah well, appreciate the hard work in getting everything working.

Oh hey, here's your instrument compatibility chart. Again, this is in progress. You don't see something here, doesn't mean we're not working on it, but this is what we can confirm right now for launch.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be able to carry over by GH5 guitar after all. Shame about my Rock Band 1 guitar and drums, but I was planning on upgrading my preorder today anyway.

Does the dongle come with either of the Xbox One bundles, or would that have to be purchased separately?

XShagrath

How do people who play real instruments view this game?
I guess HMX did their job with me (but maybe not in the way the intended). They ended up getting me to pick up a real instrument and actually start learning how to play, but only because they stopped putting out DLC a couple years back. I was playing RB1/2/3 pretty much every day for the entire life of the franchise, and then when they stopped putting out new stuff, I dropped it almost immediately.

I moved on to Rocksmith and have made great progress in the last two years. The reasons that I played Rock Band were to feel like a fake rock star, and to have fun with friends (mostly over online). With no online support and no ION support, it pretty much kills any desire for me to go back, even for fun. If they add those in later, I may end up buying a new console and "get the band back together," but until then, I'll happily wait on the sidelines and continue working on improving on the real thing.

espher

I'm so happy to have the batshit insane complicated instrument matrix back.

Get those Lips wireless mics confirmed compatible so that I can play legacy harmonies, dammit!

Edit: If it needs the dongle, I guess I'm screwed at launch. GOOD THING I HAVE SIX THOUSAND WIRED MICS and the RB1 HUB which still works right?

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Thanks. Looks like I'll be able to carry over by GH5 guitar after all. Shame about my Rock Band 1 guitar and drums, but I was planning on upgrading my preorder today anyway.

Does the dongle come with either of the Xbox One bundles, or would that have to be purchased separately?

The dongle would drive the cost up of the bundles, so they won't be included. There should be a standalone dongle option available, however; we're working through that stuff now for launch. (This is really complicated stuff, which is why some of this info is coming in so late!) But you will be able to, for instance, use the dongle to mix and match new and old instruments on the Xbox One.

The dongle would drive the cost up of the bundles, so they won't be included. There should be a standalone dongle option available, however; we're working through that stuff now for launch. (This is really complicated stuff, which is why some of this info is coming in so late!) But you will be able to, for instance, use the dongle to mix and match new and old instruments on the Xbox One.

Alright, cool, thanks.

Bauer91

If I'm reading the chart correctly as of right now the Warriors of Rock PS3 guitar won't work? Huge bummer, hopefully it gets sorted.

woodypop

I currently have all of my Rock Band content (RB1, RB2, LEGO RB, DLC, etc.) on my Xbox 360. If I get an Xbox One and transfer everything over to it, does that mean my Xbox 360 will no longer have it and can no longer be used on the 360? (I assume that would be the case, but confirmation would be good.)

I currently have all of my Rock Band content (RB1, RB2, LEGO RB, DLC, etc.) on my Xbox 360. If I get an Xbox One and transfer everything over to it, does that mean my Xbox 360 will no longer have it and can no longer be used on the 360? (I assume that would be the case, but confirmation would be good.)

No, I'd imagine it would just use your purchase history.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager

It's not a transfer, it's a redownload. You're actually getting new files on your Xbox One. You don't have to pay for these if you paid for them on your Xbox 360; your entitlements to that content is retained if you're using the same gamertag.

gosox333

goddamn it deep down I knew that they'd go with something off AM for the Arctic Monkeys but I still had high hopes they'd surprise me

at there'll probably be more from them as DLC

It's not a transfer, it's a redownload. You're actually getting new files on your Xbox One. You don't have to pay for these if you paid for them on your Xbox 360; your entitlements to that content is retained if you're using the same gamertag.

I'm gonna ask a question i'm note entirely sure has been answered, or can be yet, but are de-listed songs we previously purchased making the jump, or will these be lost?

The good news is that yeah, you just need the disc and $5 to export Rock Band 1. The bad news is that the exports for Rock Band 2 and Lego Rock Band are no longer offered and only a handful of songs from those two games are available as DLC (basically just the Bon Jovi and Queen songs).

Shit. Rock Band 2, really? I thought it was just Green Day and Lego that were expired but I guess that info is outdated. What about Rock Band 3? Does that require the code from a new copy?

I only wish that somehow my Wii guitar worked, I played there before I got an Xbox :p

My only gripe now is that I really want a digital copy of RB4, but it ain't gonna happen since I'm buying the full band bundle. Maybe I'll just sell my physical copy for cheap and upgrade, I don't know.

Oh and still hoping for a Rock Band 3 export, although I can't seem to find any sort of code anywhere in my manual.

ViciousDS

Banned

if the pearl jam re-release we had of ten included Alive.....I'm ok then....if not....shhhiiittttttt

Shit. Rock Band 2, really? I thought it was just Green Day and Lego that were expired but I guess that info is outdated. What about Rock Band 3? Does that require the code from a new copy?

Rock Band 3 is still up in the air, they haven't announced anything for certain except that they are working on it.

And you can try to contact EA Support for a Rock Band 2 code, but they might not give you a code, and there's no guarantee that any code they do give you will work.

if the pearl jam re-release we had of ten included Alive.....I'm ok then....if not....shhhiiittttttt

Alive was an on-disc track. There's a live version of Alive as DLC, though.

FyreWulff

If they can't get Alive out of RB2 licensing Purgatory, there IS a consolation prize of Alive (Live) on the RB store.

It includes bonus War Pigs at the end of the song.

edit: DAMNIT BARON VON LOATHSOME

Kinda neat you can use PS2 instruments on the PS4

I think technically the PS2 and PS3 instruments were exactly the same, or at least I think some of the internal cardboard packaging implied as much? It would certainly make sense for Harmonix to have built the instruments that way.

Sad the MIDI adapter isn't in yet. Wonder if it'll ever make it, at this point I'd rather get rid of all my Rock Band drumsets and buy an actual electronic drum kit.

Top Bottom