• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Deadstar

This set list is the worst I have every seen,

I think I am going to wait for a price drop, before picking this up.

I agree. A lot of this stuff is current indie or alt music that I just don't care about. I hope they have a good amount of 70s, 80s and 90s music.

Ugh, I want a new guitar, but if the dongle only comes with the game, I'll have to get that to use my previous controllers and hope they release the guitar controller later seperately. Oh well.

Apoc29

Rock Band 2 & 3 each had at least 83 songs on disc, so I'm expecting Rock Band 4 the Ultimate Band Platform™ to at least match that.

I agree. A lot of this stuff is current indie or alt music that I just don't care about. I hope they have a good amount of 70s, 80s and 90s music.

If the track list was entirely comprised of music from the past 10 years, I'd be totally fine with that. The games have never lacked in the 70's-90's music. This is why it's so hard to create a track list of music that makes anyone happy unless the game is only about one specific genre (sub genre really). After the first game, the on-disc track list has barely factored in to my purchasing decision since the DLC has been so on point and varied (for the most part).

avens

Neo Member
Since the good old GH2 wired guitar won't work, now I "need" another one.

Which are the 360-compatible, wireless guitars that have the most compatibility with games of that system? Should I just get any wireless Guitar Hero guitar (3 to 6)?

Rock Band 2 & 3 each had at least 83 songs on disc, so I'm expecting Rock Band 4 the Ultimate Band Platform™ to at least match that.

Budget is probably not gonna allow for that much this time, so keep expectations in check. Could be wrong though!

Also, Babymetal still needs to be announced because its totally happening, right?
Right? ;_;

MajorMane

Prepare to be disappointed, unfortunately. They're a smaller studio this time around (they're independently developing this pretty much), so they have less money compared to when they made Rock Band 2 and 3.

Lady Gaia

Woohoo! If wired drums work on the PS4 then there's an excellent chance the MIDI adapter will work for e-kits. I own RB3 on 360, but I've ordered the MIDI Pro Adapter for the PS3 fast while they're still out there. Just in case.

Presumably this is why they've been cagey about this aspect of compatibility. Harmonix wouldn't want to implicitly diss one of their target platforms by confirming support unique to the PS4 except in the most low-key fashion possible.

Didn't HMX win over $300 million from the Viacom lawsuit?

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/why-harmonix-brought-amplitude-to-kickstarter/

PS. A sideshow in all of this that sometimes gets linked into the conversation: You may have read news headlines in years’ past about huge sums of money being paid out by Viacom (our former corporate parent) to “Harmonix” following Rock Band’s commercial success. In fact, Viacom paid that money as part of its purchase of Harmonix back in 2006 to the company’s original shareholders, which mostly consisted of the investors who kindly kept Harmonix afloat for the 10 years that we struggled in obscurity before hitting big with Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Those original investors were the primary recipients of “all that Rock Band money”—as well they should have been – not the business of Harmonix that is trying to make this game!

Since the good old GH2 wired guitar won't work, now I "need" another one.

Which are the 360-compatible, wireless guitars that have the most compatibility with games of that system? Should I just get any wireless Guitar Hero guitar (3 to 6)?
Go for GH5. Les Pauls are odd with the buttons and GHWT guitars are just shit.

Hail to the king, centuries, uptown funk, spiders, somebody told me

Oh, and Panama...so 6 total

I suspect that you'll have a few Oh That Song moments with stuff like Brown Eyed Girl and Friday I'm in Love.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're familiar with internet memes of the past few years, you'll certainly have one with What's Up.

Woohoo! If wired drums work on the PS4 then there's an excellent chance the MIDI adapter will work for e-kits. I own RB3 on 360, but I've ordered the MIDI Pro Adapter for the PS3 fast while they're still out there. Just in case.

Presumably this is why they've been cagey about this aspect of compatibility. Harmonix wouldn't want to implicitly diss one of their target platforms by confirming support unique to the PS4 except in the most low-key fashion possible.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, and the second part is what I've been trying to say (but you just said better). They seem to have some sort of deal with Xbox again for PS4 (they were feature at MS presser and have been at MS booths IIRC)

Listened to a large chunk of the list today and I like it a lot more now. I'd also written off The Protomen because the guy who showed me them has narrow tastes but I really like Light Up The Night and been listening to it over and over haha. I grew up on Rocky Horror and Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell so learning it's the same producer was cool. There's still nothing like "Teenage Riot" or "Alex Chlton" that's dear to me announced so far, though. New Guitar Hero's list is dreadful (if you've played the old stuff there's barely anything new) but stuff like MGMT, Vampire Weekend and War On Drugs excite me.

Mr.Fusion

I wanted a digital copy of RB4, one new guitar, and an adapter for all of my other old instruments (Xbox). So I guess I'm going to have to buy the digital version, buy the guitar/game bundle, and buy the adapter/game bundle. I'll probably be lucky to get $30 each for my two extra physical copies I'll end up with. Meaning the total will be $270-60= $210. Can't they just sell the adapter at launch by itself?

vg260

I wanted a digital copy of RB4, one new guitar, and an adapter for all of my other old instruments (Xbox). So I guess I'm going to have to buy the digital version, buy the guitar/game bundle, and buy the adapter/game bundle. I'll probably be lucky to get $30 each for my two extra physical copies I'll end up with. Meaning the total will be $270-60= $210. Can't they just sell the adapter at launch by itself?

You might not even get that for the game disc, if you're able to sell it at all. Who's gonna buy just the game from you if they need the new instruments or adapter which are only available in a bundle?

So on Amazon the band in the box and guitar bundle offer the additional exclusive songs, but they don't contain the adapter. The disc & adapter bundle don't contain the extra songs. Is that right? Pretty much pick one or the other?

vg260

Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to use the 360 -> XB1 adapter for anything that'll connect to it...

I'm certainly hoping the makers can figure something out. It currently supports a wireless 360 controller if you have the PC wireless adapter. I think it's possible, but there's probably some work involved to make the adapter output identify as a guitar or drum controller, and they might not have the info for that or be able to figure it out until they tinker with the new hardware.

Mr.Fusion

You might not even get that for the game disc, if you're able to sell it at all. Who's gonna buy just the game from you if they need the new instruments or adapter which are only available in a bundle?

Probably nobody. I'll probably have better luck trading it in to Gamestop for about $30 on release day. Hopefully the price won't plummet too much before I can get there.

Listened to a large chunk of the list today and I like it a lot more now. I'd also written off The Protomen because the guy who showed me them has narrow tastes but I really like Light Up The Night and been listening to it over and over haha. I grew up on Rocky Horror and Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell so learning it's the same producer was cool. There's still nothing like "Teenage Riot" or "Alex Chlton" that's dear to me announced so far, though. New Guitar Hero's list is dreadful (if you've played the old stuff there's barely anything new) but stuff like MGMT, Vampire Weekend and War On Drugs excite me.

image.php

Are you sure there are no songs near and dear to you?

I suspect that you'll have a few Oh That Song moments with stuff like Brown Eyed Girl and Friday I'm in Love.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're familiar with internet memes of the past few years, you'll certainly have one with What's Up.

I'd add "Your Love," and "The Impression That I Get" to that list. Hard to imagine he hasn't heard those songs.

ah yeah, I have heard these. Cant say I would want to play them all the time, but yeah, I have heard them lol. I have pretty weird music interests, so I cant say im surprised it doesnt have a lot of stuff I want or know by name.

My biggest wants are/were The Aquabats, Baby Metal, and 65daysofstatic

vg260

Probably nobody. I'll probably have better luck trading it in to Gamestop for about $30 on release day. Hopefully the price won't plummet too much before I can get there.

I don't trade to Gamestop, but would they take it if there's no SKU for just the game and/or has a not for resell label?

I'd trade back to Amazon, but there's no game-only SKU (yet).

You can still buy the RB1 export key right now on the PS store.

The entirety of Green Day Rock Band is available as regular DLC on the store now (costs more to get it that way, obviously)

We don't know of any plans for them to sell Lego and RB2 as a giant pack. They were able to do it with GDRB because it was only one band. Also, some songs in RB2 and Lego were only available if they were sold as a disc song and not digitally. Let There Be Rock is a publically known example.

And yes, the music labels consider your digital export download after exporting the disc as different from a regular digital store sale. THE WORLD OF LICENSING.

edit: it's also harder since Lego and RB2 are also two different publishers (Warner Bros and Viacom)

So how does this work exactly? Do I need a pS3 along with Rock Band to get the songs into Rock Band PS4? Or is there going to be a DLC file later with all of that.

Top Bottom