• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

The Rock Band 4 store has wishlist option.

jtp9805ktqbb.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm currently listing my to-buy songs in a text file on my desktop.

Where did you get the picture?

vg260

Legacy adapter FAQ:
http://madcatz.com/rock-band-4-faqs/

Instrument compatibility with images:
http://madcatz.com/rockband4roadie/

of note:
Question: Can I buy the Legacy Game Controller Adapter separately from the Rock Band 4 software?

Answer: We currently do not have plans to sell the Legacy Game Controller Adapter separately from the game software, but this may change in the future.
Question: I play to buy and download the digital version of Rock Band 4 for Xbox One – will I still need the Legacy Game Controller Adapter, and how do I get it?

Answer: Yes you will still need it, if you plan to use your legacy Rock Band game controllers. At launch you can purchase the digital download of Rock Band 4 from Xbox, where you’ll also find more information on how to purchase the Legacy Game Controller Adapter.

^^

That's a bit confusing. I really want to get this digitally, but I'm going to need the dongle. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy the physical version but I really don't want to go that route.

vg260

^^

That's a bit confusing. I really want to get this digitally, but I'm going to need the dongle. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy the physical version but I really don't want to go that route.

I know, right? What's going on? Will Microsoft be selling the adapter separately as a Microsoft Store exclusive?

Never owned rockband series before, but I've preordered the big band bundle or w/e.

Will I need to buy an adaptor separately or is it not required/ only needed for legacy stuff? Slightly behind the curve here.

vg260

So, I'm pretty much in limbo until they get their story straight about what's going on with digital and a standalone adapter. I have too many 360 controllers to buy a bundle right now, even though I want the new guitar because I have to mod my GH2 guitars so the buttons actually respond.

Also, back when RB2 was being phased out everywhere, I picked up so much cheap new hardware. I got a backup bundle for cheap and the wooden guitar. I also completely surprised myself the other night going through stuff that I had bought a GH5 bundle way back when Amazon was selling them cheaply and sold the game, so I essentially got a brand new GH5 guitar for about 15 bucks. Sitting unused in the box. Completely forgot.

Maybe down the road I'll pick up some XB1 native stuff.

So yeah, just gimme that adapter separately.

DrMcNulty

I'm certainly hoping the makers can figure something out. It currently supports a wireless 360 controller if you have the PC wireless adapter. I think it's possible, but there's probably some work involved to make the adapter output identify as a guitar or drum controller, and they might not have the info for that or be able to figure it out until they tinker with the new hardware.

When I saw that this adapter exists, the first thing I thought of was whether I could connect my fanatec gt2. A man can dream.

I swear they had the rights to another 6 Grateful Dead songs that never got released. I wonder if those will ever see the light of day. You'd think after receiving national news coverage for their final 3 shows in Chicago, July long weekend, these would definitely have to be coming, unless the rights have lapsed.

Also, guys, please get me a few more Phish songs.

pacman85

Good, finally got the info I needed. Legacy adapter will take care of drums and 2 guitars. How do you hook up 3 mics to an Xbone?
USB 3.0 hub. I'm having to get a 4-port one as well as I will have already used up all 3 USB ports the XBone has before even plugging in any mics.

Gleethor

My biggest issue with the setlist (and really, the game) continues to be that we have <20 songs left to go and the setlist is still almost exactly 50% songs from 2010 onward. Previous numbered Rock Band entries never got anywhere close to that kind of modern music bias and the setlists were all the more varied for it. I get that we need to play catchup for this decade on some level since DLC has been (mostly) on hiatus since early 2013, but I've always thought that on-disc setlists should provide new players with a solid, well-balanced collection of music from all eras to get them started and that's something that all 3 previous games did really well.

I'm pretty sure that this is at least partly a result of focus testing, just look at GH Live's setlist. It's just a shame that we have a smaller setlist than 2 and 3, far less decade balance and still some HMX band padding. I have nothing against HMX bands and some of them are awesome, but if you're giving us a smaller setlist you should make sure that it's super fucking solid in terms of quality and recognizability. In a better world, Tijuana Sweetheart and Duck & Cover would be preorder bonus DLC, while Duran Duran and Pantera would be on the disc. Or they'd all be on disc.

On the flip side, it is unfair to Harmonix that we've all had 5 years to come up with our dream setlist and feature set for Rock Band 4 while pretty much completely ignoring the reality of the industry and feasibility of more plastic instrument games. That we're getting RB4 at all is a crazy thing in and of itself, and I'm grateful for it. But fuck, RB3 was so good and it sucks that its sequel has to cut corners, even if its out of necessity.

Still buying the game though so I guess I'm part of the problem, if you can call it a problem. Sorry that this turned into a rant, I've just been thinking about this game a lot recently.

parasight

Wait, what the actual fuck? They aren't selling it separately? Then it better come in the Guitar bundle... Or else I'm fucked. I only need 1 guitar, I have the rest of my Beatles instruments still.

EDIT: Read the FAQ, doesn't sound like it comes with it. So basically I have to buy the base game with the adapter, and buy a guitar controller separately? They really fucked up on that one. I have no idea what's so hard about selling it separate.

Wait, what the actual fuck? They aren't selling it separately? Then it better come in the Guitar bundle... Or else I'm fucked. I only need 1 guitar, I have the rest of my Beatles instruments still.

EDIT: Read the FAQ, doesn't sound like it comes with it. So basically I have to buy the base game with the adapter, and buy a guitar controller separately? They really fucked up on that one. I have no idea what's so hard about selling it separate.

The adapter will be sold standalone, probably for $20.

This whole multiple bundle/backwards compatibility/digital vs. physical/preorder DLC/PSN DLC amalgamation is starting to stress me out. I'm pretty well covered and understand the best way to jump in at launch, but explaining this to friends and family is going to fucking suck.

I understand most of this stems from Harmomix reaching out to help fans, so not trying to complain about that or anything-- just realizing what a mess it all is over the last few thread pages and talking with an 'out-of-the-loop' friend.

my only real complaint is with the ion support. I see some people posting their CS email, as if they care enough to fix an issue (seemingly mostly out of their control) with an old product they barely support and hardly ever sell

From the Mad Catz FAQ

The dongle would drive the cost up of the bundles, so they won't be included. There should be a standalone dongle option available, however; we're working through that stuff now for launch. (This is really complicated stuff, which is why some of this info is coming in so late!) But you will be able to, for instance, use the dongle to mix and match new and old instruments on the Xbox One.

From Harmonix themselves.

CS_Dan

Woohoo! If wired drums work on the PS4 then there's an excellent chance the MIDI adapter will work for e-kits. I own RB3 on 360, but I've ordered the MIDI Pro Adapter for the PS3 fast while they're still out there. Just in case.

Presumably this is why they've been cagey about this aspect of compatibility. Harmonix wouldn't want to implicitly diss one of their target platforms by confirming support unique to the PS4 except in the most low-key fashion possible.

Wait, wired drums are working? That would at least be something. The MIDI pro worked with RB2 on a basic level if I remember correctly, so maybe we can expect at least basic functionality?

FyreWulff

They're being really careful to not overpromise anything.

Harmonies were officially "To be determined" up until the day they were confirmed.

Also, the compatibility chart says the Aerosmith guitar doesn't work, but Aerosmith just came with a GH3 Les Paul with a different faceplate. They probably haven't been able to locate a GH:A branded guitar (out of box) yet, which isn't surprising, there weren't THAT many of those bundles.

Sorry, I may have missed this info:

Do we know by now how the exported songs are handled in RB4?

On PS3, I exported the RB1, RB2, Lego RB and one of the trackpacks.
I have the license for exporting of each game on my account, but IIRC some of those exports (at least RB1) worked by manually copying the tracks within the game to the HDD instead of a large download pack (RB2?).
Are there plans to bring the stuff that was not yet available via download before?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm probably going to buy one of the two consoles in tandem with this game, I'm just not sure which one to go for. I already sold my 360 instruments but I may have the RB1 and RB2 games around somewhere. Not positive.

Ugggh.. decisions... I'm leaning Bone, but do any of you have any RB-specific advice?

All my RB-related downloads, and my Beatles guitar, are PS3-related. I'm gonna have to buy a PS4 for this...

FyreWulff

Have I blown any chance of picking up cheapish legacy instruments?

Your best time was around something like 2009, the time Circuit City died. I bought 3 Xplorers for 5$.

As the games came out with less included hardware after that point, and the instruments started getting drained out of the retail channels, their price started going back up.

ViciousDS

Banned
Err, I never owned the Guitar Hero 5 guitar but it has a dongle of its own? Do you need its dongle along with the RB4 dongle?

for PS4.........no they all use their own dongles.

For xbox one....Yes, you have to buy the dongle.....that's the reason why the PS4 as far as I know does not come with a dongle for the software.

Your best time was around something like 2009, the time Circuit City died. I bought 3 Xplorers for 5$.

As the games came out with less included hardware after that point, and the instruments started getting drained out of the retail channels, their price started going back up.

Yes, Guitar Hero 3 guitars were only $20.....should have stocked up and then fixed the boards in the necks myself. That was the only problem was the neck not making good contact with the body.....was an easy fix though.

Cronen

All my RB-related downloads, and my Beatles guitar, are PS3-related. I'm gonna have to buy a PS4 for this...

My instruments and RB games are for the 360, but I have gone with the PS4 this generation. I'm hoping I can find some PS3 instruments about that I could get, so that I could either but the game by itself or at least the game & guitar bundle.

for PS4.........no they all use their own dongles.

For xbox one....Yes, you have to buy the dongle.....that's the reason why the PS4 as far as I know does not come with a dongle for the software.

So you can plug in the instrument's dongle directly into the PS4 but for Xbox One, you need to plug in the instrument's dongle into the legacy dongle to get it working? Am I understanding this correctly?

Oh and in case you're thinking of picking up a cheap GH5 guitar used, make sure it comes with the matching dongle. If it doesn't have its matching dongle, it's useless and won't work.

Edit: Wait, did 360 controllers even have dongles? OH GOD I'M SO CONFUSED.

vg260

So you can plug in the instrument's dongle directly into the PS4 but for Xbox One, you need to plug in the instrument's dongle into the legacy dongle to get it working? Am I understanding this correctly?

Oh and in case you're thinking of picking up a cheap GH5 guitar used, make sure it comes with the matching dongle. If it doesn't have its matching dongle, it's useless and won't work.

Edit: Wait, did 360 controllers even have dongles? OH GOD I'M SO CONFUSED.

The 360 wireless instruments never had a dongle. They communicated directly with the console. However on the Xbox One, Microsoft uses a new wireless technology, which is why you need the legacy wireless adapter to connect to the console.

The 360 wireless instruments never had a dongle. They communicated directly with the console. However on the Xbox One, Microsoft uses a new wireless technology, which is why you need the legacy wireless adapter to connect to the console.

That...makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lady Gaia

Wait, wired drums are working? That would at least be something. The MIDI pro worked with RB2 on a basic level if I remember correctly, so maybe we can expect at least basic functionality?

According to the chart, wired drums work on the PS4 version, but not to the Xbox One. That's no guarantee the MPA will work depending on how it identifies itself, but there should be no real barriers to finishing the job if Harmonix cares to.

Also, I made a post detailing all the song situations so we can just link them here if they have any questions about DLC and exports.

---

Special thanks to Sayburr's Rock Band 4 summary post on the Harmonix Forums http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/dis...ngs-xbox-one-legacy-adapter-disc-preorders/p1

Main details:
  • Most non-RBN songs that you have purchased or exported previously will work in Rock Band 4 eventually. Many will not be available at launch, but the plan is to get as much working as possible. Stay tuned.
  • Song purchases only move forward within the same system family as they were purchased (360->Xbone, PS3->PS4). Purchases cannot be transferred between system families. Players who previously played on Wii will have to start fresh.
  • Your song library is checked via your purchase history. You will then have to download the individual songs and packs.
  • There is always the chance that certain exported tracks might not be playable in Rock Band 4. There wouldn't be many, however.
  • Songs that previously did not feature vocal harmonies are being updated to include harmonies, where applicable

Legacy Rock Band DLC:
  • Almost all non-RBN DLC songs that are still available to purchase from the DLC store will carry over.
  • Delisted songs (listed at the bottom) are no longer available for purchase and may or may not be playable in Rock Band 4 on a case-by-case basis. Stay tuned.
  • "Snow ((Hey Oh)) by Red Hot Chili Peppers, although delisted, may still be acquired by finding a copy of Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2 containing a working export code.
  • "Rock 'n' Roll Star" by Oasis is still available for purchase by non-European players, but it is not playable in Rock Band 3. It will probably not be playable in Rock Band 4.

Rock Band Network:
  • Rock Band Network tracks will not carry over at launch.
  • Harmonix may or may not bring the RBN tracks over after all the non-RBN DLC and exports have been dealt with. Stay tuned.
  • A handful of RBN tracks by Harmonix bands are confirmed to carry over via the 30-song preorder bonus pack.

Rock Band Track Packs:
  • The first track pack does not export at all.
  • All other track packs may be exported for free if they contain unused export codes. The code may be redeemed from the console's "Redeem Code" option.
  • The AC/DC Live Track Pack is the only way to acquire AC/DC songs. None of the songs in this track pack have ever been released as DLC.

Rock Band Export:
  • The license may be purchased directly from the Xbox Live and PSN web marketplaces for $5. Exporting to Rock Band 2, Rock Band 3, or Lego Rock Band requires the disc, but Rock Band 4 won't.
  • All versions: The songs that don't export are "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, "Paranoid (Cover Version)" by Black Sabbath, and "Run to the Hills (Cover Version)" by Iron Maiden.
  • European version: "Monsoon" by Tokio Hotel does not export. "Rock 'n' Roll Star" by Oasis and "Hier Kommt Alex" by Die Toten Hosen export to Rock Band 2 but no further.
  • Songs that can be purchased as DLC: "Wanted Dead or Alive (RB3 Version)" by Bon Jovi, "Tom Sawyer (Original Version)" by Rush, and "Run to the Hills (Original Version)" by Iron Maiden.
  • Songs available and exportable in the European version may be purchased as DLC by non-European players.
  • Songs confirmed to be in Rock Band 4 preorder bonus pack: "Blood Doll" by Anarchy Club, "Brainpower" by Freezepop, "Can't Let Go" by Death of the Cool, "I Get By" by Honest Bob[...], "Outside" by Tribe, "Pleasure (Pleasure)" by Bang Camaro, and "Seven" by Tijuana Sweetheart (formerly VAGIANT).

Rock Band 2 Export:
  • The Rock Band 2 export is no longer officially offered. You can try your luck by contacting EA Support for a code, but they might not give it to you and it might not work.
  • If you get a code, you need to insert Rock Band 3, select Get More Songs, select Redeem Code, and enter the code. If the code is accepted, you will have to pay $10.
  • Nine on-disc songs performed by Harmonix bands are available as a free download to all players, no code necessary.
  • Between the two export packs, the songs that don't export are "Any Way You Want It" by Journey, "Battery" by Metallica, "Give It Away" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC, and "Spoonman" by Soundgarden.
  • Songs that can be purchased as DLC: "Give It Away" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Livin' on a Prayer (RB3 Version)" by Bon Jovi, and "Spoonman" by Soundgarden. "Give It Away" and "Spoonman" are also available as part of the Rock Band Blitz export (see below).
  • The studio version of "Alive" by Pearl Jam is not available as DLC, but "Alive (Live: Drop in the Park)" is available.
  • There is also "Let There Be Rock (Live)" in the AC/DC Live Track Pack. However, this version was recorded in the 90s, plays at a faster tempo, and lasts for ten minutes, so it is not recommended.
  • Songs confirmed to be in the Rock Band 4 preorder bonus pack: "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter" by The Main Drag, "Conventional Lover" by Speck, "Get Clean" by Anarchy Club, "Night Lies" by Bang Camaro, "Rob the Prez-O-Dent" by That Handsome Devil, and "Shoulder to the Plow" by Breaking Wheel.
  • The Rock Band 2 bonus 20-song track pack is no longer available.

The Beatles: Rock Band Export:
  • Doesn't exist, has never existed, will probably never exist.

Lego Rock Band Export:
  • The Lego Rock Band export is no longer officially offered. You can try your luck by contacting WB Support for a code, but they might not give it to you and it might not work.
  • If you get a code, you will have to follow the directions here http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/959...ers/126182-where-is-the-export-songs-function
  • The export, if it works, is $10.
  • All on-disc songs export.
  • Songs that can be purchased as DLC: "We Are the Champions (RB3 Version)" and "We Will Rock You (RB3 Version)" by Queen and "You Give Love a Bad Name (RB3 Version)" by Bon Jovi.
  • The studio version of "Fire" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience is not available as DLC, but "Fire (Live)" from Woodstock is available.

Green Day: Rock Band Export:
  • The export is no longer officially offered. You can try to get it to work, but this is not necessary because...
  • All on-disc tracks from this game are available as DLC. You are free to cherry pick.

Rock Band 3 Export:
  • Not officially announced, but Harmonix is looking at their options. Stay tuned.

Rock Band Blitz Export:
  • The export is a free download that comes with the purchase of the game. Do note that downloading the Rock Band Blitz songs is not required to play the game, so it can be missed.
  • All songs in the Rock Band Blitz export are available as DLC. You are free to cherry pick.

Delisted DLC Tracks:
  • Airbourne - "Runnin' Wild"
  • Alien Ant Farm - "Smooth Criminal"
  • Crooked X - "Gone"
  • Crooked X - "Rock 'n' Roll Dream"
  • Die Toten Hosen - "Hier Kommt Alex"
  • Dinosaur Jr. - "Pick Me Up"
  • Dinosaur Jr. - "The Wagon"
  • Electrix Six - "Dance Epidemic"
  • Electric Six - "Gay Bar"
  • Electric Six - "I Don't Like You"
  • Fleetwood Mac - "Don't Stop"