• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, the Xbone adapter bundle is 120 in Canada... the same price as Guitar Hero with the new guitar. I think I've experienced sticker shock.

espher

Well 80's glam rock has always been the worst of us, it was bad in the original Rock Band games and it is still bad today. Do they think 40 plus year olds are the target market?

I think the 30+-ish demographic are the ones with the disposable income to buy peripheral bundles and regularly purchase DLC, so, to some extent, yes.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo is the worst song ever. As much as I would like a great setlist, the taste of the modern day Rock Band peeps is horrible.

If Van Helen and Aerosmith are the tastes of the people currently working on Rock Band, then I may have to skip this.
Ok go enjoy your GH: Live with your Skrillex and nu-metal bands. We'll be over here enjoying good ol' classic rock. Btw I'm in my 20's and music from the 70's and 80's are 100x better than most of the stuff that comes out nowadays.

pacman85

Similar to your thread... does anyone know of a resource that lists "popular" or "must have" DLC songs for Rock Band? I have a decent amount of DLC but it's stuff that I know and love by name only - there must be heaps of great music available that I'm less familiar with/don't know by name... Fortunate Son was one like this for me - excellent song that I "knew" but not by name. Should I just take this to the RB community thread? (If there is one)
A good resource I use is to search all game add-ons on the xbox marketplace website for RB3 and sort them. Most of the top songs are the free one FyreWulff mentioned in his post. I like to use it to see if there are any really popular songs I missed out on. Granted, this is most downloaded by the general public so if your music tastes are different from the general public then this list may not be what you want to use but here it is regardless (you can also sort by best selling today to see what people are getting now days which will include more RB3 DLC):
Best selling all-time
Best selling today

pacman85

Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo is the worst song ever. As much as I would like a great setlist, the taste of the modern day Rock Band peeps is horrible.

If Van Helen and Aerosmith are the tastes of the people currently working on Rock Band, then I may have to skip this.
Well 80's glam rock has always been the worst of us, it was bad in the original Rock Band games and it is still bad today. Do they think 40 plus year olds are the target market?
Quiet down kid, adults are having a discussion here.

Apoc29

Wow, the Xbone adapter bundle is 120 in Canada... the same price as Guitar Hero with the new guitar. I think I've experienced sticker shock.

So probably $40 for the standalone adapter? That's kind of a hard pill to swallow.

Would be nice to get a discount or something for people purchasing the full band bundle.

Yaari

Band-in-a-box is 262 EUR
Guitar + Game is 142 EUR

Damn. I didn't know the Guitar bundle was going to cost that much.
With the X1 Elite Controller coming out in the same month, I'm going to delay a RB4 purchase until somewhere in 2016 I think.

Damn. I didn't know the Guitar bundle was going to cost that much.
With the X1 Elite Controller coming out in the same month, I'm going to delay a RB4 purchase until somewhere in 2015 I think.
Did you mean to type 2016 or just delay until later this year? Just making sure.

Yaari

Did you mean to type 2016 or just delay until later this year? Just making sure.

Oops.

Yeah, I'll see how they manage the game and such post release. Interested in their DLC plans and if they have any idea working with the things that are missing. I'll definitely jump on it later, but for now it's a little outside of my available budget.

Oops.

Yeah, I'll see how they manage the game and such post release. Interested in their DLC plans and if they have any idea working with the things that are missing. I'll definitely jump on it later, but for now it's a little outside of my available budget.
I'm kind of about to lean in the same direction. I mean, I really want to play it, but a 140-150 Euro's for just the guitar bundle may just be too much for me to afford at the moment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So probably $40 for the standalone adapter? That's kind of a hard pill to swallow.

Would be nice to get a discount or something for people purchasing the full band bundle.
It's only 20 dollars in the US though, so we're getting pretty screwed. Maybe if Walmart gets the Xbox adapter bundle, it will be priced at 100, but right now it's only 40 dollars more to get a brand new Rock Band guitar.

Ok go enjoy your GH: Live with your Skrillex and nu-metal bands. We'll be over here enjoying good ol' classic rock. Btw I'm in my 20's and music from the 70's and 80's are 100x better than most of the stuff that comes out nowadays.
Whoa slow down there friend.
No need to draw lines in the sand! We should embrace music taste diversity!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If nothing else, I expect Xbox adapters to be super rare like the midi adapters. I have a feeling that the actual instruments will at least be available on Mad Catz's own site for a long time... especially considering they seem to have bet the future of their entire company on RB4.

opoth

Banned
Would love some way to choose to preload our existing DLC before the game is released. Its gonna be a slog downloading 600ish songs before the game is playable.

Matticers

I have a potential Xbox "export previously purchased DLC" issue and I wanted to post it here and see if anyone else is having a similar problem.

But I logged into my Microsoft account and I went online to look at my purchase history just to make sure it's showing all of my old Rock Band/Rock Band 2 DLC as being purchased. Just to verify that it's there and I'll be able to download it when RB4 is released. But when I checked, it shows... none of them. Now I know I absolutely bought DLC on my Xbox 360 for the games but it shows nothing. It's only showing random purchases that I made so it looks like it's missing other things besides just the Rock Band DLC. It's still concerning though and makes me worry that I'll be missing out on a bunch of DLC that I already bought. Has anyone else had this happen? Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Finally figured it out. I had to look directly under the game's DLC, not my purchase history. It's there.

Shoeless

Would love some way to choose to preload our existing DLC before the game is released. Its gonna be a slog downloading 600ish songs before the game is playable.

That actually is an incredibly convenient solution. I'm also dreading this, and it never occurred to me to even think about a "DLC pre-load" prior to launch.

Apoc29

Wouldn't you be able download the songs in the background and just play the on disc songs while you're waiting? If you're dying to play your DLC you can just play them on your old system unless you threw everything out the window.

FyreWulff

Wouldn't you be able download the songs in the background and just play the on disc songs while you're waiting? If you're dying to play your DLC you can just play them on your old system unless you threw everything out the window.

Assume so, Rock Band 3 (and Blitz) would detect a finished download and rescan the music library as your songs downloaded.

If the ported DLC is 'published' to the stores pre-release, then you'll just be able to download them before the game releases anyway.

Ugh... I need to buy an X1 for this game because I am not starting my entire library over dammit.

Cheapest X1 I can find is $350 for either the Master Chief Collection or the Gears collection. Is there not a "non collection" version out there that might be cheaper by $50?

I haven't followed the X1 hardly at all, so I don't know if a price drop is around the corner or not, either.

Bairds

Neo Member
Ugh... I need to buy an X1 for this game because I am not starting my entire library over dammit.

Cheapest X1 I can find is $350 for either the Master Chief Collection or the Gears collection. Is there not a "non collection" version out there that might be cheaper by $50?

I haven't followed the X1 hardly at all, so I don't know if a price drop is around the corner or not, either.

Check out cowboom.com if you're okay with used, and see if you can find a decent used console that has a controller/etc. I'm in the same boat with my RB collection.

Also, is there a place online that I can check my purchase history? I want to make sure microsoft still sees all the DLC I've purchased since I've been inactive for a couple years now.

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a new Xbox only to find out the DLC is all gone anyway.

ElNino

We are about to hit the holiday season, so it is almost guaranteed that you will be able to grab an Xbox One cheaper than $350 in the next few months (at least if you consider gift cards in the price).

FyreWulff

Also, is there a place online that I can check my purchase history? I want to make sure microsoft still sees all the DLC I've purchased since I've been inactive for a couple years now.

I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a new Xbox only to find out the DLC is all gone anyway.

Microsoft has never removed purchases for inactivity

but you can view 360 download history here

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/download/history

Also I'd just wait until RB4 is actually out to get a One.

Famassu

No it's not. There's a fuckton of great music that doesn't lose to 70s/80s music at all. If anything, there's a lot more great music nowadays than in the 70s/80s thanks to all kinds of new avenues to promote & share music through.

Your kind of young ones in your late teens/early-to-mid 20s are the silliest music fans. You find some Beatles, Queen & Pink Floyd and suddenly no good music exists past their peaks. That's just dumb BS.

FyreWulff

I'm probably going to pre-order RB4 for the extra songs, and then buy the X1 after RB4 shows up.

I just feel very weird buying a game I don't have a console for yet.

it does (i don't have the money anymore so i had to kill all of my preorders)

dog died and truck caught on fire in the same week

But at this point if you've held out on a One there's nothing to lose from waiting a little bit longer. The deals get better week by week.

it does (i don't have the money anymore so i had to kill all of my preorders)

dog died and truck caught on fire in the same week

But at this point if you've held out on a One there's nothing to lose from waiting a little bit longer. The deals get better week by week.

Jesus...

Man, I've never seen a more clear cut sign that you need to change your life path into that of a country music singer.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
No it's not. There's a fuckton of great music that doesn't lose to 70s/80s music at all. If anything, there's a lot more great music nowadays than in the 70s/80s thanks to all kinds of new avenues to promote & share music through.

Your kind of young ones in your late teens/early-to-mid 20s are the silliest music fans. You find some Beatles, Queen & Pink Floyd and suddenly no good music exists past their peaks. That's just dumb BS.
I said 70's/80's music is better than MOST modern songs. I'm including the shit they play on the radio like Skrillex and Kanye and Katy Perry. That wasn't a diss to any modern rock bands. They're just not as popular to the average music consumer. I still enjoy Tenacious D, The Darkness, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, anything Dave Grohl is in, etc.

I said 70's/80's music is better than MOST modern songs. I'm including the shit they play on the radio like Skrillex and Kanye and Katy Perry. That wasn't a diss to any modern rock bands. They're just not as popular to the average music consumer. I still enjoy Tenacious D, The Darkness, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, anything Dave Grohl is in, etc.

This is still based on flawed logic. Especially as someone in your 20's, you have the benefit of not being exposed to the majority of bad music from those eras because no one talks about them anymore and archiving stuff from then isn't as thorough as today. 90% of the stuff you've probably heard from the 70's/80's was filtered over time to the most memorable and popular. Not to mention there's just more music out there today in general because of how democratized recording music has become in the last 15ish years.

Famassu

I couldn't give a fuck about popularity. Lots of incredible artists didn't get their due in their time (someone like Nick Drake killed himself because he couldn't catch a break). Lots of shitty music was popular in the 80s. Lots of copy-cats and just straight down shitty music were on the top of the lists then. No one just wants to remember them anymore (or remembers it with some kind of twisted nostalgia, something you can laugh about, "remember this horrid song, oooh, good times"). Great music/bands exists in great(er) numbers nowadays. Some of it even has a decent size following, even if it doesn't reach MTVs playlists or wide radio circulation.

You just have to somewhat actively be on the lookout for new bands through services like Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Spotify, Youtube and even MySpace (some smaller bands still put some samples there). Music reviewing sites are also a good place to start. Sites like Pitchfork can be a bit pretentious, but I routinely check out their site just to see if there have been reviews of new albums from bands/artists that I've never heard of and then I go to Spotify and/or Youtube to try to find their songs and see if I might like them. Another good way are forums like NeoGAF. There are often threads like "New album from X" and if I'm all "who?", I'll check it out. I found Janelle Monae from some NeoGAF thread that way a couple of years ago.

One of my most recent totally random founds was Torres. Just happened to saw some interview of her. Went to Spotify. Listened to a few songs and instantly fell in love with the music. Incredibly haunting sound.

espher

Microsoft has never removed purchases for inactivity

but you can view 360 download history here

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/download/history

Also I'd just wait until RB4 is actually out to get a One.

I bought one last week. I wanted a Kinect, the CAD keeps dropping (meaning I don't expect to get a better deal than the $50 off one), and the Kinect-containing bundles are slowly disappearing.

If you're in the U.S., though, I'd say it's definitely worth waiting until Black Friday to buy the console.

Lady Gaia

This is still based on flawed logic. Especially as someone in your 20's, you have the benefit of not being exposed to the majority of bad music from those eras because no one talks about them anymore and archiving stuff from then isn't as thorough as today. 90% of the stuff you've probably heard from the 70's/80's was filtered over time to the most memorable and popular.

... and that memorable music is what makes it into Rock Band. Unlike the current artists who are featured, which are more often songs that still have the marketing machine pushing them but which won't be remembered as favorably in 30 years. Sure, there's a lot of great music being released now (and I can finally discover more of it thanks to Beats 1!) but there's no chance what I'm enjoying most will get picked up for Rock Band.

The 80s are just the earliest full decade where decent recording, mixing, and mastering techniques did a good job of capturing great music. Add perspective and stir.

... and that memorable music is what makes it into Rock Band. Unlike the current artists who are featured, which are more often songs that still have the marketing machine pushing them but which won't be remembered as favorably in 30 years. Sure, there's a lot of great music being released now (and I can finally discover more of it thanks to Beats 1!) but there's no chance what I'm enjoying most will get picked up for Rock Band.

The 80s are just the earliest full decade where decent recording, mixing, and mastering techniques did a good job of capturing great music. Add perspective and stir.

Not really relevant to my point. I was replying to someone commenting about the music landscape as a whole. Not just what makes it to Rock Band's library.

Still not enough post-hardcore/prog metal/metal in general.
I need songs that are hard but fun to play, about 3/4 of the songs on the RB3 disc are boring to play.

Still not enough post-hardcore/prog metal/metal in general.
I need songs that are hard but fun to play, about 3/4 of the songs on the RB3 disc are boring to play.

One, it's called a difficulty curve. Two, easy is not necessarily equivalent to not fun. I Ran (So Far Away) and More Than a Feeling are two good examples. Three, I doubt you've actually played any of the songs yet.

Speaking of difficulty, though, apparently two songs on disc had devilheads on all instruments at PAX: Metropolis Pt. 1 and Dream Genie.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Speaking of difficulty, though, apparently two songs on disc had devilheads on all instruments at PAX: Metropolis Pt. 1 and Dream Genie.

Even vocals? Just kinda feels like this one would be all talkies.

Still eager to play it though. And by "play" I mean "flail towards the drums and hope I pass".

One, it's called a difficulty curve. Two, easy is not necessarily equivalent to not fun. I Ran (So Far Away) and More Than a Feeling are two good examples. Three, I doubt you've actually played any of the songs yet.

I was talking about Rock Band 3. I have 107+ songs I downloaded because it's the music I like and it's not boring trash IMO. I'm also sour that RBN songs won't be on RB4, that's more than half the content I bought and downloaded and it's bs.

Lady Gaia

Not really relevant to my point. I was replying to someone commenting about the music landscape as a whole. Not just what makes it to Rock Band's library.

Can't blame a girl for trying to, you know, actually bring the discussion back around to the focus of the thread in the first place? I agree with your general point that music from this era isn't inherently inferior. I happen to also agree with the prior poster that current music likely to make it into Rock Band 4 won't stand the test of time the way 70s/80s classics have.

Top Bottom