• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Marvel considering adding Kingpin in Spider-Man: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Guys, this isn't actually happening.

The article basically lists no source, people on the inside have been deconfirming it...you're being played for rubes!

Don't get carried away by an extremely vague article posted by a spurious website that contains little more than wishful thinking and a transparent desperation for clicks.

dealing with grownass shit, real relationships instead of puppylove, having a real job and being a legit peer in the superhero community . 99% of his history is him being an adult.
All solid points but I think almost every MCU movie has already checked those boxes, also they can't really skip to adult Spiderman and have it make any sense(unless you count college Peter as an adult? I don't anyway).

Hopefully this Spider-Man sticks around for long enough that we can get those adult Spiderman movies too though, that'd be sweet. It'd be like Boyhood except good(it took 12 years to make!).

MooMilk2929

This is overall good news. But the problem with bringing tv show actors over to cinema, the stars could get so big that they won't do shows anymore and the show that started them out will lose them to maybe a cameo here and there.

Happened with George Clooney and ER.

diaspora

All solid points but I think almost every MCU movie has already checked those boxes, also they can't really skip to adult Spiderman and have it make any sense(unless you count college Peter as an adult? I don't anyway).

Hopefully this Spider-Man sticks around for long enough that we can get those adult Spiderman movies too though, that'd be sweet. It'd be like Boyhood except good(it took 12 years to make!).

They're doing post-Ben, I don't think just jumping to mid-career spider-man is much of a stretch.

If they could CGI in a huge Kingpin like in the Spiderman TAS... man, having the actor say something like "Approximately 2% of my body mass is fat. Allow me to show you what 350 pounds of muscle is capable of! "

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nah, Kingpin would be little threat to MCU Spiderman.

Something like this then
T53ZKfz.jpg

Shame it wasn't real but on the bright side, the Sony hacked emails show that the more rumors like this spread the more Sony and Marvel become aware that this is something people actually would want and they gauge interest which could lead to discussions. I think the cameo could be possible in one of the sequels, especially when the Marvel TV dispute has been sorted out and they've gotten through just establishing a good Spider-Man movie again. I'm not holding my breath for it happening as early as Homecoming, though. Plus in Daredevil right now Kingpin isn't in a great position to make a Spider-Man appearance, so it could mess up continuity until we get another season.

Tansut

Half a billion for a spidey movie? Kingpin should have went to Feige.
Well in their world that movie would just be another "inspired by true events" flick. If every edition of the evening news is like a 15 minute Marvel movie I can't imagine people would flock to the theaters.

lupinko

If they could CGI in a huge Kingpin like in the Spiderman TAS... man, having the actor say something like "Approximately 2% of my body mass is fat. Allow me to show you what 350 pounds of muscle is capable of! "

They don't even have to do that, D'Onofrio is a big guy already in addition to Tom Holland being only 5'7". With those and camera angles, you already get how intimidating size wise MCU Kingpin is to Spider-Man.

You already see this in Daredevil.

Anyway if Miller and Reynolds can do it, I would love to have Jon Hamm as Cable, even if he's only as tall as Reynolds and is not 6'8" like in the comics (only actor that fits this is semi retired pro wrestler Kevin Nash).

Shame it wasn't real but on the bright side, the Sony hacked emails show that the more rumors like this spread the more Sony and Marvel become aware that this is something people actually would want and they gauge interest which could lead to discussions. I think the cameo could be possible in one of the sequels, especially when the Marvel TV dispute has been sorted out and they've gotten through just establishing a good Spider-Man movie again. I'm not holding my breath for it happening as early as Homecoming, though. Plus in Daredevil right now Kingpin isn't in a great position to make a Spider-Man appearance, so it could mess up continuity until we get another season.

It's confirmed fake?

Slayven

They don't even have to do that, D'Onofrio is a big guy already in addition to Tom Holland being only 5'7". With those and camera angles, you already get how intimidating size wise MCU Kingpin is to Spider-Man.

You already see this in Daredevil.

Anyway if Miller and Reynolds can do it, I would love to have Jon Hamm as Cable, even if he's only as tall as Reynolds and is not 6'8" like in the comics (only actor that fits this is semi retired pro wrestler Kevin Nash).

Intimidating until SPidey hits him with a two piece and puts him in traction for a year

Lexad

Just googled the comment mentioned in the OP:

Isn't the show apparently terrible? I'm not surprised they don't bother acknowledge it.

The show is great and is picked up for a fourth season. The first half of season 1 is tough but improves once winter soldier kicks in.

The most baffling thing, and I agree with Chloe, is how in the hell do you not reference the Netflix shows and shield in regards to the sokovia accords. A large portion of the populace is turning into inhumans with special abilities and that isn't brought up at all? That is simple throw away line about other supers and vigilantes starting to appear

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wouldn't want to wedge him in there. If they haven't even talked to Vincent yet, then Kingpin probably isn't in the script. They start filming next month, right? They could whip up a scene but it probably wouldn't be anything of importance to the rest of the film. I'd rather they just not bother and revisit adding the character in when the story demands it.

Doesn't
Tony Stank
say
Spider-Man
can lift
seven tons
in Civil War?

I think it's a cool idea but I would hope his character doesn't get neutered by the PG-13 rating. He's very intense and violent in Daredevil. He'd bring a great presence to the movie though.

dpunk3

The rumor that this may be a thing is kinda forcing them to make it a thing. Setting expectations for Marvel is practically a guarantee at this point.

Are we talking comics or MCU? I don't think the MCU has defined a hard power limit for Spider-Man yet.

Yeah I guess I was referring to the comics. Although I don't see why they'd gimp him. Cap is stronger than he is in 616, and Spider-Man is much stronger than him already, so I think they'll keep him consistent.

Yeah I guess that is sort of true, its just everything in the MCU and TV shows seems so much smaller scale in terms of both the events and the heros abilities and powers so it kind of throws things off in terms of power levels and what not. Just comparing DD to Spiderman from the MCU and I do wonder how a guy like Kingpin would keep up with him if he was schooling so many other super humans. Honestly I'd just love to see Spidey cracking quips and jokes till the Kingpin just lost his shit and went Berserk.
if cap can keep up with superhumans (he did deal a little bit of damage to loki, he matched and outdid the winter soldier, he held his own against ultron, iron man, and spiderman himself), so can kingpin.

if cap can keep up with superhumans (he did deal a little bit of damage to loki, he matched and outdid the winter soldier, he held his own against ultron, iron man, and spiderman himself), so can kingpin.

lmfao stop

MCU Kingpin isn't remotely near Cap, who is superhuman in strength to begin with. MCU Kingpin isn't a tenth the skilled fighter Cap is either.

Logically, Peter would crush Kingpin's skull in a split-second.

It will probably be only a little cameo of him, like just a minute of screen time.

I don't think he will be the main vilain of the movie or has anything to to with the main one.

Henkka

Banned
He's great, but wouldn't MCU Spidey kick the crap out of him? He doesn't have super strength and is pretty normal sized.

lmfao stop
you can keep laughing your fuckin ass off all you want, i ain't gonna stop.

MCU Kingpin isn't remotely near Cap,
says who?
who is superhuman in strength to begin with. MCU Kingpin isn't a tenth the skilled fighter Cap is either.
If you've been following the conversation I had with the guy I quoted, you'd see that the argument I was making was that in 616, both cap and kingpin are peak human. if things are being kept consistent, kingpin is low level superhuman just like cap is, and that's been evident in Daredevil. He has done things that even the strongest and most fit human couldn't do, just like cap.

I would argue that daredevil is also a better fighter than kingpin and therefore cap as well, and even then kingpin was a hard time for daredevil in a fight.

Logically, Peter would crush Kingpin's skull in a split-second.
By what logic? All this shit is fiction based on comics. And in the comics, kingpin has fought spiderman

Dynomutt

Isn't Cap enhanced with the Super Solder serum? That would explain why he can keep up with Ultron a robot, Iron-Man a guy in a powered suit and Bucky who's arm enhances his strength and I believe he has some sort of biological enhancement as well.

I don't think Kingpin is going to be going to go blow to blow with some of these guys. I know he' physically strong but he is not enhanced. Based on the MCU and the Kingpin in DD. He would get trampled all over NY with the current characters power sets.

I think the damage he does is going to be very psychological.

Edit: Again I basing this on the MCU movies and the battles there vs the one fight Kingpin had with DD in the show. (Slamming Matt's head on a table doesn't count). I'm taking reflexes speed strength. Ultron and Iron Mac would one shot Kingpin. Bucky would put a hold in his chest, and Cap would bounch his shield on his head so many times it would look like a dimpled golf ball.

Isn't Cap enhanced with the Super Solder serum? That would explain why he can keep up with Ultron a robot, Iron-Man a guy in a powered suit and Bucky who's arm enhances his strength and I believe he has some sort of biological enhancement as well.
Yeah but in the original comics the super soldier serum doesn't give him superhuman strength, but peak physical condition. MCU cap is probably based on ultimate cap where he actually is superhuman.

I don't think Kingpin is going to be going to go blow to blow with some of these guys. I know he' physically strong but he is not enhanced. Based on the MCU and the Kingpin in DD. He would get trampled all over NY with the current characters power sets.
I don't know if the comics ever even explained how and why the kingpin is so strong so I guess he's just naturally strong like that. even if he's not enhanced, he was peak human in 616 just like cap, but we've seen him do things that in my opinion puts him on par with cap. between the two of them cap would still win, but they're like on par I would say.

I think the damage he does is going to be very psychological.
there will definitely be much of that as well, for sure.

Edit: Again I basing this on the MCU movies and the battles there vs the one fight Kingpin had with DD in the show. (Slamming Matt's head on a table doesn't count). I'm taking reflexes speed strength. Ultron and Iron Mac would one shot Kingpin. Bucky would put a hold in his chest, and Cap would bounch his shield on his head so many times it would look like a dimpled golf ball.
kingpin fought daredevil twice in the show. the first time daredevil was already incapacitated. in their second fight daredevil had the advantage and even then he had a tough time with kingpin. kingpin has done other things though - he ripped a guy's head off with brute strength, he took a taser to the neck like a bee sting, he was lifting...what looked like more than even a peak human could lift in jail, and he busted his hands out of handcuffs. overall cap may be the better fighter but they're on a similar level.

EDIT: sorry for double post

Dynomutt

Yeah but in the original comics the super soldier serum doesn't give him superhuman strength, but peak physical condition. MCU cap is probably based on ultimate cap where he actually is superhuman.

I don't know if the comics ever even explained how and why the kingpin is so strong so I guess he's just naturally strong like that. even if he's not enhanced, he was peak human in 616 just like cap, but we've seen him do things that in my opinion puts him on par with cap. between the two of them cap would still win, but they're like on par I would say.

there will definitely be much of that as well, for sure.

Good point I'd say based on old school power sets it could be close if Cap didn't have his shield. It could be a brutal battle Kingpin would maybe try to bear hug him to death. Still give the edge to Cap because of his unorthodox fighting style. The comicbook classic Kingpin was a very formidable fighter though.

latest

kingpin fought daredevil twice in the show. the first time daredevil was already incapacitated. in their second fight daredevil had the advantage and even then he had a tough time with kingpin. kingpin has done other things though - he ripped a guy's head off with brute strength, he took a taser to the neck like a bee sting, he was lifting...what looked like more than even a peak human could lift in jail, and he busted his hands out of handcuffs. overall cap may be the better fighter but they're on a similar level.

EDIT: sorry for double post
Daredevil doesn't have near the fighting training that Cap does though. DD mostly relies on his heightened senses to predict what his opponent is doing/going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom