• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Marvel considering adding Kingpin in Spider-Man: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what about tone?

Spiderman was great in civil war because he was an adorable teenager. Now we are including a dude who decapitated someone with a car door.

I mean, I am all for D'onofrio and his heavenly acting chops, but would it fit?

I think it would work great. Having the naive kid going up against a horrible and serious criminal and finding out he is mentally in over his head would be great. You don't have to have any more de-cap attacks, fisk is established enough

teiresias

Like pretty much every aspect of the Daredevil series, the Kingpin presented there is way too dark for what is the current MCU unless they're inexplicably going all gritty with Homecoming (though obviously this is likely to be a small insertion). I mean, the Kingpin in the show, blood splattering on his assistant in the process,
decapitates a guy with a car door
for crying out loud. Good luck getting something like that into a MCU film, and seeing D'onofrio forced into playing a toned down Kingpin would be horrible.

Future

Wait...... You mean to tell me there could be a Spider-Man without a lengthy origin story for a villain that takes half the movie?

A villain that is a true villain that will not see the light and attempt to rescue spidey at the end?

A villain that will remain a marvel villain and not be killed or permanently subdued at the end?

A villain that does not have a corny presence or laughable motivation due to some coincididence that he also knows Peter Parker?

Excuse me.... I have something in my eye...

icespide

Banned
Wait...... You mean to tell me there could be a Spider-Man without a lengthy origin story for a villain that takes half the movie?

A villain that is a true villain that will not see the light and attempt to rescue spidey at the end?

A villain that will remain a marvel villain and not be killed or permanently subdued at the end?

A villain that does not have a corny presence or laughable motivation due to some coincididence that he also knows Peter Parker?

maybe but it probably won't be Kingpin

Sephzilla

The guy who killed Uncle Ben will be employed by Kingpin, book it

I'd say the same thing of pretty much anyone on that show so you shove that sexist shit up your ass.

It's nice to want things but yeah I do think the bar is higher than the inhumans in the show and I don't think lashing out because she feels they are hypocritical is good form. They actually have integrated the shows and the movies just not to the extent she wants hence me saying she's displaying a feeling of entitlement.

One-way integration is the problem she is talking about. There's no reciprocity. Be it by chance or design, that's how it is. And she was person in question, so it came of sexist IMO. But I'm sorry if it wasn't meant that way. Its unfortunate that the Inhumans movie is being pushed back because the plot line from the end of season 1 til present can effect the MCU in different ways. Gonna stop here cause I'm going in the realm of fantasy booking.

Sephzilla

"It was one of the worst days of your life. For me, it was Thursday."

ERb6GmW.gif

+

7Iy6drb.gif

Chorazin

Even if they do, they'll have to assume you've not watched the TV show anyway.

The majority of people who go to see spiderman won't have watched the TV show (the same reason that most of the tv shows don't get referenced at all).

They don't need to go into Fisk's background to have him be a ruthless criminal mastermind. Build Daredevil S2 as the jumping off point.

Anung

Un Rama
Like pretty much every aspect of the Daredevil series, the Kingpin presented there is way too dark for what is the current MCU unless they're inexplicably going all gritty with Homecoming (though obviously this is likely to be a small insertion). I mean, the Kingpin in the show, blood splattering on his assistant in the process,
decapitates a guy with a car door
for crying out loud. Good luck getting something like that into a MCU film, and seeing D'onofrio forced into playing a toned down Kingpin would be horrible.

Works in the comics. You get Kingpin showing up in Daredevil doing some bad shit like systematically ruining Murdocks life and in Spider-man were he's being mocked with fat jokes. They couldn't go full head decapitation stuff but there's plenty of brutal deaths in these movies (dude gets kicked into a jet engine) that he could still be a threat. They just need to have good writing.

All these movies are quite tonally different from one another (just like the comics) and it works fine.

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

Daredevil Season 2 Spoilers:
"Yes, ask my lawyer. He'll deny it. Ask the guards! They'll deny it. Ask the inmates here. They'll cut their tongues out before they talk. But I have something to say to you. When I finally get out of this cage... I will dismantle the lives of the two amateurs that put me in here! You, Mr. Murdock, and Franklin Percy Nelson. The two of you took the laurels. You'll both take the blame. I'll chop both the heads off of that snake, and I'll spend more than $6 on postage to bring you down!

You see, I've had a lot of time to reflect on my journey here, Mr. Murdock! My mistakes, everything I took for granted. And while I try and sleep in this bleak place... the one thing that keeps me warm... is the thought that I will look down upon this city, the city that birthed me, with the woman that I love, who... whom I love with everything that I am. If you're worried that Frank Castle will wreak havoc on Hell's Kitchen... just wait."

giphy.gif

Please let his happen Marvel. I want this more than Daredevil in Infinity War.

Anung

Un Rama
Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

Daredevil Season 2 Spoilers:
"Yes, ask my lawyer. He'll deny it. Ask the guards! They'll deny it. Ask the inmates here. They'll cut their tongues out before they talk. But I have something to say to you. When I finally get out of this cage... I will dismantle the lives of the two amateurs that put me in here! You, Mr. Murdock, and Franklin Percy Nelson. The two of you took the laurels. You'll both take the blame. I'll chop both the heads off of that snake, and I'll spend more than $6 on postage to bring you down!

You see, I've had a lot of time to reflect on my journey here, Mr. Murdock! My mistakes, everything I took for granted. And while I try and sleep in this bleak place... the one thing that keeps me warm... is the thought that I will look down upon this city, the city that birthed me, with the woman that I love, who... whom I love with everything that I am. If you're worried that Frank Castle will wreak havoc on Hell's Kitchen... just wait."

giphy.gif

Please let his happen Marvel. I want this more than Daredevil in Infinity War.

One of the best scenes in the entire show. Crushes it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I actually like his weird cadence while talking

The verbal quirk works perfectly for the portrayal of him being a sociopath. You hear him speak and think "oh, he's a bit off". Then he bashes a guy's head in and you think "well, it makes sense that guy would do that."

He's the creepy kid in school with the determination and strive to rule us all.

Jonm1010

Banned
Hope this happens. TBH, the Marvel TV universe has had three villains(if you count Punisher) that are better then anything I have seen in any of the films.

D"Onofrio would be a great addition.

Already said it in the other thread but just copy paste Spidey vs Kingpin from Ultimate Spider-Man, that also included a young and inexperienced Spider-Man that was just learning how to use his powers most effectively, it'd be a perfect "first" movie that utilizes both Spider-Man and Peter Parker perfectly.

Cuburt

My vote is cameo but I don't want him to be a big Spider-man villain. He has been handled well by Daredevil meanwhile I saw Spiderman handle both Winter Soldier and Falcon at the same time. I just can't see him as a thread for MCU Spiderman.

Spider-Man also got kicked and tossed around by Cap and thrown out of a window by a robot bird.

Also, word is the the Vulture will be a villain in Homecoming, the old man in a wing suit. I mean, isn't Spidey's rogue gallery full of villains who are weaker than him? Isn't that why 6 of them had to team up just to take him on? People have said they wanted Mysterio and Kraven as villains in the films, why bother if they only thing people care about are power levels?

The more I thought about it the more it wouldn't work. Tonally the Netflix and Movies are miles apart. And there's no way Sony are going to let Marvel make a movie that has a required viewing of two seasons of R-rated TV.

I wonder how many times this can happen before the buzz from the actors and audience gets loud enough for Marvel to get the picture.

This is something that the majority of MCU fans want but they don't seem to be listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom