• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Sony intends to acquire CD Projekt Red and Days Gone 2 in development

ahtlas7

CDPR…. Uhhhhh
Nervous Oh No GIF by FIFA

Maybe some sort of partnership so they can make Witcher/Cyberpunk movies or some shit, but nah, doubt an acquisition.

I think PS may want to take advantage of Witcher/Cyberpunk's extremely large player base, an excellent opportunity to make money especially with something like a Witcher multiplayer.

The guy didn't blame himself for the state of the game and attacked everything else.
He was right. Critics bombed the dialogue and the white culture the game was apparently "appropriating". The game had performance issues at launch but that never stopped critics from praising other games with performance issues. I didnt see anything disruptive at all. Besides, he's a boss, he has to put his foot down so naturally most directors/ceos will sound like assholes. No, that wasnt it. Everyone knows the real reason the game got shut down.

kicker

Banned
The bigger question is, why is no one buying larian studios?
The fk is MS and Sony doing?
That is one studios that can fit either platform needs.
I don't understand this, why do *you* care about either studio's needs?
Currently, Larian releases games on all platforms possible so everyone can play and discuss their games together.
How would it benefit *you* for Larian to suddenly make their games exclusive to one platform or the other?

Last edited:

Yoboman

The bigger question is, why is no one buying larian studios?
The fk is MS and Sony doing?
That is one studios that can fit either platform needs.
If you are Larian why would you sell now?

They are banking on BG3 being a hit. They have the capability to break through and become every bit as popular as the big RPG studios

Nautilus

Banned
Sucks if true. CD Project would be a huge acquisition, as the Witcher and Cyberpunk are behemoth franchises. But I would prefer if they remained independent.

Gorgon

If true, that would help Sony compete with Microsoft on the WRPG front. That is however a very big "IF".

Pretty much this. I don't believe this rumour, but it would be a great aquisition. If western AAA RPGs are your bread and butter of gaming, MS is in a far better position on the exclusive front. Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield) and Obsidian (The Outer Worlds, Avowed) as MS first parties is big (the shenanigans with publishing are a different story that I won't go into here). Even avant gard/experimental/artsy titles like Hellblade, which used to be something Sony historically delivered (Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain, etc) are pretty much dead this generation for Sony.

Both consoles have great lineups, present and/or future (if they ever come out), but Sony is severely lacking in some fronts except for multiplats. At the end of the day, it's about personal preference, but for me titles like TLoU online, Horizon, God of War, and Spider Man don't do shit. The only exclusive title I care about on PS is Ghost of Tsushima and I havent even finished the first game yet. And timed exclusivity is mute. Even here MS has an edge as far as my personal taste goes, with e.g. Stalker 2, which for all we know may end up exclusive to MS. What does Sony has to show? Knights of the Old Republic Remake, which probably at this time is vapourware, but even if it isn't it's a timed exclusive anyway, just like Persona 6.

Assuming MS gets their act together and the games start coming out, and assuming you have the disposable income, the Xbox SX is starting to seem to me quite appealing as a second home console. If you can have only one console or only want one console, and your preferences are western RPGs, then Sony is pretty underwelming and always has been historically, and MS has a very substantial advantage here. And western RPGs are a huge thing in the western gaming market as far as single player games go. You can't ignore them.

Duno. If MS gets its act together, I probably will end up going multiplat this generation. Anyway, given that this is about two companies that need exclusives to move consoles, Sony needs to have some serious western AAA RPG guns, and they have nothing, not a single dedicated studio with a couple of exclusive IPs.

Note: I'm ignoring th PC here because I don't have one. I was a PC-only player until the PS3 generation, but these days I use a Mac for work, so I have no PC available nor do I want to go that route again. If you have one then all the above is mute.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever gotten an acquisition rumour right?

Lots of people speculated that Sony would buy Bluepoint games and that shortly came true. In fact, sony helped leak that early with the banner coming out fo PlayStation Japan.

For context: Sony leaked this on June 30th 2021 and it became official October 1st. 3 months later, probably the longest that they were allowed to keep quiet on it.

Slightly different situation, especially since CD Projekt is publicly traded, but the move does make a lot of sense to combat the purchase of Bethesda.

Also in line with my speculation that Sony wants a PC Storefront as their true aim in releasing PC games isn't just revenue on their PC releases but revenue from other PC games and their ability to leverage exclusivity deals on PlayStation would extend well to exclusivity on PC.

Last edited:

feynoob

If you are Larian why would you sell now?

They are banking on BG3 being a hit. They have the capability to break through and become every bit as popular as the big RPG studios
The money from those companies is enough for them to make multiple games.

Yoboman

Lots of people speculated that Sony would buy Bluepoint games and that shortly came true. In fact, sony helped leak that early with the banner coming out fo PlayStation Japan.

Slightly different situation, especially since CD Projekt is publicly traded, but the move does make a lot of sense to combat the purchase of Bethesda.

Also in line with my speculation that Sony wants a PC Storefront as their true aim in releasing PC games isn't just revenue on their PC releases but revenue from other PC games and their ability to leverage exclusivity deals on PlayStation would extend well to exclusivity on PC.
Bluepoint was an obvious one, especially with the leaked image. Kind of like if I made a rumour that Sony is going to buy Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers 2), there's a good chance I get it right

CD Projekt fits Sony in a lot of ways, fills gaps they need. But I can't help but return to the fact they've had a terrible business relationship. Botched ports, marketing deals with Microsoft, Witcher 2 skipping PS entirely, CD Projekt telling people to get a refund from Sony, Sony pulling Cyberpunk off the store. From that perspective it seems a terrible fit

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sony isn’t going to make any big third party purchases. It was all pr misdirection . They are laying off people as we speak. Or do you think Is it all for buying a big third party? 😵‍💫

Yoboman

Sony isn’t going to make any big third party purchases. It was all pr misdirection . They are laying off people as we speak. Or do you think Is it all for buying a big third party? 😵‍💫
Didn't they say a few weeks ago they are taking on loans for acquisition opportunities

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I doubt this rumor, but it'd make sense given Sony's recent comments. CDPR fits the bill for them:
  • Their slides mention RPG games as part of their catalog. While I consider Horizon, GoT, and God of War as RPG games, Sony has listed Horizon as an action-adventure game. So their definition of RPG is clearly different.
  • CDPR games are also perfect, as has been proven, for Sony Music, PlayStation Productions, and Sony Anime. Excellent synergy.
  • Microsoft has hoarded almost all WRPG studios and publishers. This will get Sony a bunch of exclusive WRPG games.
  • Sony does not have a presence in Poland. CDPR will change that. It's also closer to England and Netherlands, which makes travel easier to and from.

Pelta88

Actually...

We need to exercise way more caution on this one. Despite the up tick in activity, no acquisition has ever leaked prior to being announced officially. Not Bungie, SSM, or Acti ever hit a forum or got so much as whisper beforehand.

CDPR makes sense to me given their shortage of WRPGs. They’d also get a stronger foothold in PC gaming.

Whether it happens or not is another thing altogether.

Days Gone 2 is not happening.

Last edited:

Gorgon

We don't have remotely the needed insider information to make that kind of reasoning. There's all sorts of scenarios in which a company may be laying off people from a studio while planning on further aquisitions. I do, however, agree with you that this rumour is most probably fake.

Yoboman

Days Gone 2 being greenlit sounds like fanboy wet dreams tbh from everything we know that's happened with Sony Bend

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Actually...

We need to exercise way more caution on this one. Despite the up tick in activity, no acquisition has ever leaked prior to being announced officially. Not Bungie, SSM, or Acti ever hit a forum or got so much as whisper beforehand.
They are incredibly rare, yes, but sometimes it gets leaked.

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/sega-plans-to-acquire-rovio-angry-birds-devs-leak/z0546a

Bluepoint was an obvious one, especially with the leaked image. Kind of like if I made a rumour that Sony is going to buy Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers 2), there's a good chance I get it right

We actually haven't seen many layoffs at Sony and more importantly than that, they're still growing quickly at most of their studios. They've cancelled some projects that Bungie didn't deem viable, to lower operational costs, which could very well suggest that they ARE looking to make a large purchase.

Imagine they shuttered the cost of 200 million dollars worth of projects (annual cost) that's a billion dollars over 5 years in development cost alone.

If you think that billion dollars is better put towards acquiring CD Projekt with better returns, it totally makes sense.

If you think maybe 3 or 4 major games were cancelled that number could be even higher 250-300 million in annual costs. Up to 1.5 billion after 5 years.

CDPR is worth 2.84 billion dollars, so with a 30 percent premium, you're looking at 3.7 billion dollars.

You look at what they'll bring in if they keep the PS5 slim at 500 dollars instead of 400 and that's 100 dollars more of revenue (and potentially pure profit). At 20 million units a year over 2 years that's 4 billion dollars.

So you look at the operating income that Sony saves by shuttering some struggling projects and keeping the PS5 price higher and the operating income that you'd get from Witcher 1, Witcher 4, and new cyberpunk games... as well as probably having them exclusive on PS5 first and then you look at GOG becoming PlayStation Store PC and it makes a lot of sense.

The companies that I think make the most sense for Sony in order are

1. T2
2. CDPR
3. FromSoftware/Kadokawa

The reality is Sony could do both CDPR and Kadokawa.

What do I think? I know it’s a rumor. Rumors are made up all the time. Don’t believe me? Look at all those leaked and rumor games that suppose to have been at Sony’s showcase.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Would help a lot in the PC department, but for the games I'm not sure. One could argue that every Sony game is the same, but I don't remember a game from them that is full of bugs, and both Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 are bad coded games and early launched games for sure

I doubt this rumor, but it'd make sense given Sony's recent comments. CDPR fits the bill for them:
  • Their slides mention RPG games as part of their catalog. While I consider Horizon, GoT, and God of War as RPG games, Sony has listed Horizon as an action-adventure game. So their definition of RPG is clearly different.
  • CDPR games are also perfect, as has been proven, for Sony Music, PlayStation Productions, and Sony Anime. Excellent synergy.
  • Microsoft has hoarded almost all WRPG studios and publishers. This will get Sony a bunch of exclusive WRPG games.
  • Sony does not have a presence in Poland. CDPR will change that. It's also closer to England and Netherlands, which makes travel easier to and from.

It's worth noting that they don't have transmedia rights to The Witcher and that Netflix has driven the property into the ground for TV.

It's also worth noting that WB probably has a long term contract to do Cyberpunk transmedia.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I know some people will hate this but if Sony bought anyone I would want to be square-enix. Sony pays for exclusives anyways and have their games fragmented on other platforms just sucks. Give square one platform to focus on.

Gojiira

You know as great as it is that CDPR is untethered and can work at their own pace, its also a downside. Cyberpunk is prime example of a studio that really needed some oversight and a little less back patting prerelease.
If Sony purchased them, not only would they be gaining Sonys excellent support and tools but also oversight with very high standards and more importantly Sony chases quality regardless of dev cycles so CDPR would clearly get enough time.
GOG as well I see less as Sony gaining a storefront for their own games on PC and more of them gaining a vast PC library with which to build from. It wouldnt be in their interest to change how GOG works better to have it as a secondary source of income and goodwill.
Idk I think it would be a good deal and I seriously doubt they would push CDPR to release on PS5 first rather than simultaneously on PC..

Days Gone 2 being greenlit sounds like fanboy wet dreams tbh from everything we know that's happened with Sony Bend
It depends on how well it's been doing on PC.

At the end of the day, money is what it's all about. If the numbers look right, Sony will consider doing a sequel, rightfully so. And as for the devs; people need to pay for food, shelter, clothing, education and countless other things they need/want. And sometimes, it doesn't matter who's giving you that money...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I know some people will hate this but if Sony bought anyone I would want to be square-enix. Sony pays for exclusives anyways and have their games fragmented on other platforms just sucks. Give square one platform to focus on.
i wouldn't want it but if it happened i wouldn't be surprised or even bummed out.... it'll likely be similar to bungie where they're technically owned under Playstation but can still publish multiplat

Gorgon

Or someone just having a laugh at Gaf's expense, which is probably what this "leak" amounts too. It seems to be working.

SHA

They'll keep buying until the consoles business will no longer be relevant, except it's just happening faster than we anticipated, to be fair, I don't support what's happening and I don't like how they keep losing their true identity that made them who they really are.

Gorgon

Huh, no. That would make no business sense except for the personal taste of fans. The PS doesn't need to compete on the JRPG front because everything is pretty much there already as far as home consoles go. But when it comes to WRPGs, MS has aquired two of the main western studios, with millions upon millions of potential exclusive sales (specially when you add PC into the equation). This is where the problem is. Sony just needs to keep doing what they are already doing with SE.

Top Bottom