• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Sony intends to acquire CD Projekt Red and Days Gone 2 in development

kyussman

I think CDPR have peaked.....most artists/creators do.....movie directors,musicians etc,99% reach a certain level and then either tread water or decline......when I look at something like The Witcher 3 I think yea,that's as good as it's going to get for this studio.....not saying they will be shit in the future,they could be a solid aquisition......sounds like bullshit anyway.

Duchess

So, what was the reason for Sony not green lighting the sequel to Days Gone?

Poor sales? Poor reviews? Too expensive?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

They are also great multi media properties for them to exploit and that company kind of needs some of SIE’s studio management expertise.
Doesn't Sony also own Crunchyroll and bunch of other anime properties as an example? Cyberpunk has shown that there are a lot of possibilities there.

And Witcher, well if Sony buys movie rights (don't think CDPR has them), they could do a lot with that.

Still, I really wish CDPR would remain independent if at all possible. You know GoG is going to be gone and cut ASAP of Sony acquired them, and I really appreciate a DRM free, old games focus of that.

Last edited:
So, what was the reason for Sony not green lighting the sequel to Days Gone?

Poor sales? Poor reviews? Too expensive?

It was never pitched to Sony in the first place. The higher-ups at Bend didn't want to pitch it, but somehow anti-sony sentiment shifts to blame sony.

Kerotan

CDPR would be a good buy for Sony.

1. Stops MS inevitably trying to buy them

2. They're undervalued now after the Cyberpunk disaster. They were over valued before it so their real value lies in-between.
Now is the time to buy before they recover.

3. PC storefront would be valuable asset for Sonys PC exploits and it would no doubt grow with Sony adding it's games.

4. A good counter to Bethesda and their Western RPG game's. Sony would either have leverage to get Bethesda games on PlayStation in return for CDPR on Xbox.
Otherwise they'll be PC and PS exclusive.

After buying Bungie this seems like the next logical buy for Sony along with the Elden Ring owners although that'll cost them so much more especially when they should have bought them years ago for much cheaper.

lies liar GIF by The Maury Show

I think CDPR have peaked.....most artists/creators do.....movie directors,musicians etc,99% reach a certain level and then either tread water or decline......when I look at something like The Witcher 3 I think yea,that's as good as it's going to get for this studio.....not saying they will be shit in the future,they could be a solid aquisition......sounds like bullshit anyway.

It's possible, though I think you're saying that based on the Cyberpunk launch. The game is pretty well received now. If they literally delayed it like 6 months or canceled the PS4 and X1 versions, they probably would have been fine.

I know a lot of people left the studio though, so who knows what their quality is now, but if Sony went from one generation having Naughty Dog be their biggest studio to by the end of that generation it being their 3rd biggest studio... that's pretty massive change.

If Microsoft and Activision fight the CMA all the way to next year, does that mean they can't make other acquisitions? If not, it means Sony can freely make acquisitions while microsofts hands are tied. Another reason why Microsoft should think hard about If its worth it to keep going with the Activision deal.

wipeout364

Seems like a really poor purchase for Sony. Lots of mature and not politically correct takes in CD projekt Red games and writings. Sony systems already get access to the games and GOG would have little worth to Sony that I can see. Games output is glacial and they offer nothing for Sony’s games as service focus.

Just my thoughts, could still happen but I think it is not a great fit for Sony or Microsoft.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doesn't Sony also own Crunchyroll and bunch of other anime properties as an example? Cyberpunk has shown that there are a lot of possibilities there.

And Witcher, well if Sony buys movie rights (don't think CDPR has them), they could do a lot with that.

Still, I really wish CDPR would remain independent if at all possible. You know GoG is going to be gone and cut ASAP of Sony acquired them, and I really appreciate a DRM free, old games focus of that.
I think Gog would continue and they would expand on that (no, not with DRM free PS5 to PC port, but maybe… it could be a tiered release after they exhaust the biggest sales on Steam and their store), they do need to have a great PC store or simply give up and rely on Steam.

They will not drop Steam and Steam Deck, but a PC store would allow them to increase their revenue share.

Last edited:

kyussman

It's possible, though I think you're saying that based on the Cyberpunk launch. The game is pretty well received now. If they literally delayed it like 6 months or canceled the PS4 and X1 versions, they probably would have been fine.

I know a lot of people left the studio though, so who knows what their quality is now, but if Sony went from one generation having Naughty Dog be their biggest studio to by the end of that generation it being their 3rd biggest studio... that's pretty massive change.
I'll be honest,I've not played Cyberpunk.....why?.....because they launched a version on the console I owned (PS4) that was broken and they knew it was broken so they hid it from sight......complete bullshit,I may never buy I game from them again.....we'll see.

If Microsoft and Activision fight the CMA all the way to next year, does that mean they can't make other acquisitions? If not, it means Sony can freely make acquisitions while microsofts hands are tied. Another reason why Microsoft should think hard about If its worth it to keep going with the Activision deal.
I'd be shocked if it limited them from any small-mid size acquisitions, the only thing it'd likely limit Microsoft from doing it buying another big publisher. Considering the comical amount of studios Microsoft will have if/when they finish the Activision acquisition, and the fact they seem intent on growing all of their studios as well, they really just need to focus more on quality control as opposed to buying more studios. If they're able to fix whatever issue is happening with their current first party they would be able to more than match anything Sony threw at them, but that's currently a big if

rolandss

I see CDPR as a primarily PC dev. Their console releases always seemed poorly optimised? This doesn’t make a whole lot of sense unless they’re just being reactionary to Bethesda and not having any real WRPGs lefts.

Flutta

Banned
Hahahaha get fucked never gonna happen. Show some pride Cdpr after they legit took away your income for 6 months.

And who’s fault was that? It was only fair.

If true this seems the to be the right time to acquire them due to the stock not being as high as it used to be.

Sony needs WRPG’s badly and this is a good move just for that alone, without mentioning GOG.

Last edited:
I'll be honest,I've not played Cyberpunk.....why?.....because they launched a version on the console I owned (PS4) that was broken and they knew it was broken so they hid it from sight......complete bullshit,I may never buy I game from them again.....we'll see.

I totally get that, but also why I think new management and ownership is needed, not that Sony is above releasing broken games (TLOUP1 PC)

I think it makes a lot of sense for both companies.

For what it's worth I bought the game for 10 dollars on disc and waited for the PS5 upgrade. Still haven't played more than the free trial though.

YCoCg

The Days Gone 2 part ruins this, we wouldn't have had the Director complaining about not being able to do the game just the other if this was true.

AmuroChan

He wouldn't know that

Acquisitions are confidential in order to avoid insider trading, which is illegal.

This. M&A discussions occur at the highest level of the company. Unless Jim Ryan or some other top Sony or CDPR executive is leaking this, there's no way for some rando on the internet to find out.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Even the rumours don't mention any good Japanese publishers or studios 🥴

Those are already multiplat or occasionally exclusive on PS, so why would they bother buying them. MS isn't a thing on the JRPG front. The problem is WRPGs, which with first-party studios like Bethesda and Obsidian make MS the only real choice on that front. Add to that shit like an Indiana Jones exclusive, Stalker 2, Hellblade 2, etc and MS is starting to look appealing. They only need to get their act together to not completely fuck up this gen for them. What will happen when Fallout 5 and Elder Scrolls 6 hits the Xbox but not the PS as cross-generation with the next Xbox? You think that won't move harware? The only question is if MS throws the towel before that with the Xbox division, but I very much doubt it. I think the next console generation may very well end up like the PS3/360, and that's already pretty good for MS, even though it's doubtful the Xbox will oversell the PS even next gen. But weirder things have happened. If MS plays their cards right, shit may change by next gen as player's perceptions change due to big selling titles being exclusive on Xbox. It's just impossible to predict. Heck, I didn't expect that shit show of a Playstation Showcase either or the ultra agressive move into GaaS either from both MS and especially Sony (I thought the latter would be more incremental). Time will tell, but Sony certainly helped MS's perception with that PS Shitshow.

I neither believe this nor would I want this to happen. Especially if it wasn't just RED but the entirety of CD Projekt.
Sony would immediately ruin GOG.
Where is your evidence or previous examples of Sony ruining a studio and their services after buying them?

Last edited:

Edge Lord

Those are already multiplat or occasionally exclusive on PS, so why would they bother buying them. MS isn't a thing on the JRPG front. The problem is WRPGs, which with first-party studios like Bethesda and Obsidian make MS the only real choice on that front. Add to that shit like an Indiana Jones exclusive, Stalker 2, Hellblade 2, etc and MS is starting to look appealing. They only need to get their act together to not completely fuck up this gen for them. What will happen when Fallout 5 and Elder Scrolls 6 hits the Xbox but not the PS as cross-generation with the next Xbox? You think that won't move harware? The only question is if MS throws the towel before that with the Xbox division, but I very much doubt it. I think the next console generation may very well end up like the PS3/360, and that's already pretty good for MS, even though it's doubtful the Xbox will oversell the PS even next gen. But weirder things have happened. If MS plays their cards right, shit may change by next gen as player's perceptions change due to big selling titles being exclusive on Xbox. It's just impossible to predict. Heck, I didn't expect that shit show of a Playstation Showcase either or the ultra agressive move into GaaS either from both MS and especially Sony (I thought the latter would be more incremental). Time will tell, but Sony certainly helped MS's perception with that PS Shitshow.
Why r u bringing MS into this huh? I didn't ask what's MS is doing.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I still consider CDPR a poison pill as an acquisition, but clearly they have a pull as WRPG dev that is hard to match.
Gotta wonder if GOG could become a gateway to broader pc strategy and PSplus on PC though. That seems almost more relevant strategically than the individual IP output

HL3.exe

Hope not. I prefer independence for the AAA studio's that still exist. Less demand from higher up (look how it turned out for Arkane and Bioware, etc) and better competition opportunities in general. And it seems that most European studio's are still independent (IO interactive, Remedy, Asobo, etc) because of good policy's and proper protective tax laws. Thanks based EU.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Lots of people speculated that Sony would buy Bluepoint games and that shortly came true. In fact, sony helped leak that early with the banner coming out fo PlayStation Japan.

For context: Sony leaked this on June 30th 2021 and it became official October 1st. 3 months later, probably the longest that they were allowed to keep quiet on it.

Slightly different situation, especially since CD Projekt is publicly traded, but the move does make a lot of sense to combat the purchase of Bethesda.

Also in line with my speculation that Sony wants a PC Storefront as their true aim in releasing PC games isn't just revenue on their PC releases but revenue from other PC games and their ability to leverage exclusivity deals on PlayStation would extend well to exclusivity on PC.
About that last part: 100% sure that's Sony's long time plan with PC. Sure, they are releasing games on Steam now, but that's just because they are now entering on PC and getting used to it(and seeing if there's a market for them).

Once they do get used to, and their games are well received there, they will build a storefront. At first, they will release games on Steam and on their own store. But they will make it so that buying on their own store has some advantage(Gold Coins equivalent that Nintendo is doing, the game prices are smaller(70 dollars on Steam vs 60 on them) or just doing discounts and deals on their store. Things like that). If their store gets momentum, they will just straight stop publishing games on Steam and make it available (on PC) only in its Store.

And when that happens, it will be glorious to see Steam fanboys lose their shit over game exclusivity just because they have to download for FREE another storefront.

Gorgon

Why r u bringing MS into this huh? I didn't ask what's MS is doing. Gtfo here with your console warrior BS lmao.

Huh, "console warrior" is most definetly something that doesn't apply to me. As for bringing MS to the equation, it's because this rumoured aquisition has ALL TO DO with strategic competition with MS in the WRPG front. Surely you get that, right?

Last edited:

YuLY

Sony saw the Cyberpunk launch and didn't want to feel left out.
So like The Last of Us on PC ?

Its 2023, game is great and in good shape, also we've had much worse offenders already since then, time to let it go. CDPR are great developers that make game of the gen type of games. As a PC gamer I hope this isnt true, but I can see where Sony is coming from.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Keep in mind Days Gone movie is in production right now

Admitedly, that may lend some credibility to the rumour. But still, CDProject as a first-party Sony studio seems too good to be true (the PC side aside). It's one of the few heavy-hitting western RPG studios still left, even though there's a few others with enough clout to make business sense.

SABRE220

Sony basically has no presence in the WRPG market and with bethesda games off the table , this acquisition would make sense. Wish both Bethesda and cdpr remained multiplatform but when microsoft acquired bethesda they basically took all of sonys rpgs off the table in one swoop...and the ABK saga just got revived, the aquisition wars could be coming.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

lol everything we have heard from many many Bend current/ex Devs points to this being an absolute bullshit comment hahaha, plus boo to consolidation and CD Projekt red makes no sense considering they'd have to buy GOG and everything.

i think your reliable leaker... isn't

hemo memo

Gold Member
Didn’t Days Gone dev said it is not?

As for CDPR it make sense as they can rebrand GOG and sell the 1st party stuff there exclusively.

Top Bottom