• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia is Making a $38 Billion ‘Gaming Hub’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems this country has lots of experts when it comes to choosing reliable, long-lasting business ventures to safely grow your economy in the future. eSports will surely be a life saver once the oil no longer produces the desired revenue.

Brucey

Seems this country has lots of experts when it comes to choosing reliable, long-lasting business ventures to safely grow your economy in the future. eSports will surely be a life saver once the oil no longer produces the desired revenue.
I'm not a big fan of the compromises battery vehicles entail but if it can give the middle finger to opec+ and their price manipulation...might be worth it.

I'm not a big fan of the compromises battery vehicles entail but if it can give the middle finger to opec+ and their price manipulation...might be worth it.
Competition is always good for the consumer. Also, competition on the field of moral values and societal models is great as well. I welcome a Saudi gaming hub that represents different moral values than what the collective West now has to offer.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Please tell me more as you are an expert more than me in the country I CURRENTLY LIVE IN. Go ahead.

Now it is making sense. You've got a major bias and look at your country with rose-colored glasses. I hate to break it to you, but you know you live in a country where they censor your internet, right?

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I had a Saudi roommate who, in order to be entertained in Arabic, had to watch 1970’s Syrian sitcom. Islam is antithetical to the spirit of videogames.

mopspear

I'm an ESL teacher and I've taught a ton of Saudi's. A lot of teenagers too. They love FIFA, GTAV, Red Dead 2, and Rocket League. Only really those games though. They never seem to mention anything else.

Futaleufu

it's not always what they put in a game but what they prevent from putting in the game.
The previous chinese owner delisted the soccer games that had Taiwan and Hong Kong as independent teams. And at least one japanese imperial flag was removed from a game.

So far current owners have not meddled at all in game development.

He can't because his knowledge is based on propaganda and what his government has selectively told him.
That's why it's OK when the USA led west commit war crimes, invade sovereign nations and steal their resources. But it's not on when the Russians defend ethnic Russians in Ukraine and don't allow NATO on their border.

Not from the USA fella.

John Wick

How are they defending ethnic Russians in Ukraine by sending cruise missiles into apartment blocks and attempting to destroy all the electrical infrastructure so people freeze to death in the winter? Fortunately it was a mild one in Europe this year.
Which apartment blocks did Russia target that were residential?
The Russians in the beginning didn't target any infrastructure until the Ukrainians hit the bridge in Crimea. Maybe you should ask the western regimes that question when they invaded numerous sovereign nations.

Scotty W

Gold Member
The soviets were worse in many regards but we still got Tetris from them. Please have more respect of others cultures and religions.
Tetris is proof that even communism can't fully repress the Russian spirit of creativity. Islam crushes almost every form of creativity- and that’s ok! You still have calligraphy and the call to prayer to satisfy your artistic earnings.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Guaranteed you have bought and used tens of thousands of things funded by terrorist states. Welcome to consumerism 101. Everything is funded by shitty people.

Who do you mean?

Saudi Arabia directly funds Salafist terrorist organisations.

I agree that there are many countries across the world who do shitty things, but few are up there with Saudi, as countries who directly contribute to terrorist atrocities.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Who do you mean?

I agree that there are many countries across the world who do shitty things, but few are up there with Saudi, as countries who directly contribute to terrorist atrocities.

Then you are living a sheltered life lol. Every major nation on this earth has directly funded terrorist groups. Everyone is a piece of shit.

Last edited:

John Wick

All of them!
You mean the one that was hit by a downed missile?
Who do you mean?

Does it now? You mean just like the US?
Not to mention the only country to drop atomic bombs on civilian cities.
I wonder who blew the Nord Stream pipelines? Why no investigation?

John Wick

Would you like to try to provide evidence of this? Because if you can't, it rather implies you are the one who has led the sheltered life.
You mean like the evidence the US provided of Huawei spying with their telecommunications equipment?
Or the way they are trying to ban TikTok for spying yet do much worse themselves through Google, MS, Meta etc.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Any conversation that begins with someone stating that the United States Of America is a terrorist state is - much like trying to stop monkeys flinging their shit at the walls - messy, and utterly fucking pointless.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Not to mention the only country to drop atomic bombs on civilian cities.

This particular point is not correct. The two Japanese cities were military targets that had a civilian population. They were civilian cities.

Beyond that, it is abundantly clear that you hate the US. Pump the brakes, man. There's no reason to turn this into some US against them thing. (Also, I hope everyone saw the pun in my last sentence.)

John Wick

This particular point is not correct. The two Japanese cities were military targets that had a civilian population. They were civilian cities.

Beyond that, it is abundantly clear that you hate the US. Pump the brakes, man. There's no reason to turn this into some US against them thing. (Also, I hope everyone saw the pun in my last sentence.)
They indiscriminately murdered the population.
I don't hate the USA but the Neocons that run it along with the military industrial complex. The US is the biggest spying nation known to man.
With the US it's your either with us or against us. You cannot be neutral.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I don't hate the USA but the Neocons that run it along with the military industrial complex. The US is the biggest spying nation known to man.

Quit acting like a baby. You know nothing.

Brucey

The Russians in the beginning didn't target any infrastructure until the Ukrainians hit the bridge in Crimea. Maybe you should ask the western regimes that question when they invaded numerous sovereign nations.
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/15/1149329917/dnipro-ukraine-apartment-russian-attack

Ivan Garnuk was in his apartment when the building was hit and said he felt lucky to have survived. He described his shock that the Russians would strike a residential building with no strategic value.

"There are no military facilities here. There is nothing here," he said. "There is no air defense, there are no military bases here. It just hit civilians, innocent people"

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...shida-summit-07af10f35b16472d12549875af420d08

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-war-g20-india-summit-1.6765134

As for your claim it all happened after Crimea bridge:

Crimea bridge explosion happened on Oct 8th 2022.

Here's a rocket attack from July 2022....months before the Crimea bridge explosion...

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/10/1110719305/ukraine-donetsk-missile-strike-15-dead-apartment-building

Do you have any other fairy tales you'd like to share?

Brucey

Ultimately dropping the two nukes saved millions of US and Japanese lives that would have been lost with an invasion of Japan where they would have fought to the death. They dropped the 2nd after Japan didn't surrender after the first one.

Brucey

Any conversation that begins with someone stating that the United States Of America is a terrorist state is - much like trying to stop monkeys flinging their shit at the walls - messy, and utterly fucking pointless.
Well they have to deflect from the point that has caused the Saudi murder torturer defenders to pop out of the woodwork. Saudis being torture murderers with zero human rights and people who dare to speak out about the regime and their families just disappearing.....whaaa but but but look at USA how evil they are...

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Oh, I see. You’re a vatnik. All makes perfect sense now. Carry on 👍

Then you are living a sheltered life lol. Every major nation on this earth has directly funded terrorist groups. Everyone is a piece of shit.
No, it is not necessarily true that every major nation on Earth has directly funded terrorist groups. While some nations may have provided financial or other support to groups that are considered terrorist organizations by other nations or international bodies, this does not necessarily apply to all major nations. Moreover, the definition of a "terrorist group" can vary widely depending on political, cultural, and legal contexts, and what one nation considers a terrorist group may not be viewed as such by another. It is important to approach such claims with skepticism and to consider the sources and evidence behind them.

No, it is not necessarily true that every major nation on Earth has directly funded terrorist groups. While some nations may have provided financial or other support to groups that are considered terrorist organizations by other nations or international bodies, this does not necessarily apply to all major nations. Moreover, the definition of a "terrorist group" can vary widely depending on political, cultural, and legal contexts, and what one nation considers a terrorist group may not be viewed as such by another. It is important to approach such claims with skepticism and to consider the sources and evidence behind them.
Found the ChatGPT response /joke

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol.

Claims every major country on earth has funded terrorist groups, gets asked for evidence... can't provide any. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gave you the evidence kiddo, I would suggest you learn how to read <3

Lot of word-twisting going on that can be summed up in what I said before: Everyone is an asshole and all major countries have funded terrorist groups.

Regardless, the point I was making was that anyone who is suddenly all up in arms about Saudi Arabia getting into this industry and crying about foul play has very selective views on who to fight against and is a hypocrite. Everyone is an asshole, just buy what looks fun. Ethical consumerism doesn't exist. Just stroking your own ego. Slacktivism at its finest.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Would you like to try to provide evidence of this? Because if you can't, it rather implies you are the one who has led the sheltered life.
Not that I view Saudi Arabia with any good will, but regarding terrorism. Do you know where Taliban came from? Pro-tip, there was even a movie with Tom Hanks on the subject of how that shit started. Mind you, they didn't go where it all wound up.

That said, Saudi Arabia puts people in jail for many years for Facebook or Instagram posts. Puts women in jail for not wearing hijab. Jails people for playing music. There are no movie theaters, and much much more (funding of terrorist organizations is "fun"). Plus OPEC is a blight on this world. Oh, and their autocratic King likes to have journalists who speak up against him literally dismembered. But yeah, lets keep going about wonders of Saudi Arabia.

And yes, the West is not great. US has done a lot of shitty things. However that's not the reason to engage in whataboutism.

Edit: All of the above aside, $38bil gaming hub is about as good an investment as that Line city. But its hard to get anything going in the middle of a desert, in a country where not many creatives or scientists want to go. And they know oil/gas revenue will run out sooner or later. So its basically throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks. To the tune of $tens of billions.

Last edited:

John Wick

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/15/1149329917/dnipro-ukraine-apartment-russian-attack

Ivan Garnuk was in his apartment when the building was hit and said he felt lucky to have survived. He described his shock that the Russians would strike a residential building with no strategic value.

"There are no military facilities here. There is nothing here," he said. "There is no air defense, there are no military bases here. It just hit civilians, innocent people"

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...shida-summit-07af10f35b16472d12549875af420d08

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-war-g20-india-summit-1.6765134

As for your claim it all happened after Crimea bridge:

Crimea bridge explosion happened on Oct 8th 2022.

Here's a rocket attack from July 2022....months before the Crimea bridge explosion...

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/10/1110719305/ukraine-donetsk-missile-strike-15-dead-apartment-building

Do you have any other fairy tales you'd like to share?
So who independently verified any of these stories?
The only person believing fairy tales is sheep like you who haven't got a clue.
Remember when Iraq had weapons of mass destruction? Still waiting for that one.
Or that Huawei was using telecommunications equipment to spy on the world? Where's the proof?
Or remember the missile that fell in Poland from Ukraine that nearly got blamed on Russia in the hope of triggering article 5?
Sorry I don't just believe Western news media propaganda stories.
Just like now the USA is trying to demonise China.

John Wick

Ultimately dropping the two nukes saved millions of US and Japanese lives that would have been lost with an invasion of Japan where they would have fought to the death. They dropped the 2nd after Japan didn't surrender after the first one.
I'm sure that is comforting for them.

John Wick

Well they have to deflect from the point that has caused the Saudi murder torturer defenders to pop out of the woodwork. Saudis being torture murderers with zero human rights and people who dare to speak out about the regime and their families just disappearing.....whaaa but but but look at USA how evil they are...
Your right where black citizen's can be gunned down and murdered in broad daylight by white civilians and cops just by going about their daily lives. Or kids being murdered while attending school?
I wonder why Assange and Snowden are so badly wanted in the land of free speech?

Mess

I'll never cease to be amazed that the US managed a propaganda good enough for their citizens to think they have a moral high ground and think droping 2 atomic bombs on japenese cities was fine - among a lot of other things.

Education system working as intended.

Mess

Tetris is proof that even communism can't fully repress the Russian spirit of creativity. Islam crushes almost every form of creativity- and that’s ok! You still have calligraphy and the call to prayer to satisfy your artistic earnings.

The sad thing is that it hasn't always been that way, islam is probably harming creativity and freedom more nowadays than it did a thousand years ago.

That being said time will tell what we'll get out of this hub thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom