• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

Spaghetti

Man

Still no word on a port/updated version of the first two for consoles/PC? :'(
Nah.

SEGA are "Currently investigating how to make it [Shenmue HD] a reality", but point out that licencing for in-game brands have caused complications and that they would ideally want to keep a remaster as faithful to the original Dreamcast titles as possible (i.e, not immediately taking the path of least resistance and replacing the brands).

Still, that's more than SEGA have ever said on the matter before. I'm taking it as subtle confirmation that they're doing it, but have to try undoing the legal knot regarding the branding if they want to release the games as close to how they originally launched.

Retexturing the branding is likely their Plan B if they can't make agreements, but I think it's pretty admirable SEGA are at least attempting to get the brands in the game to help preserve Shenmue/Shenmue II as it was in 1999/2001.

Nah.

SEGA are "Currently investigating how to make it [Shenmue HD] a reality", but point out that licencing for in-game brands have caused complications and that they would ideally want to keep a remaster as faithful to the original Dreamcast titles as possible (i.e, not immediately taking the path of least resistance and replacing the brands).

Still, that's more than SEGA have ever said on the matter before. I'm taking it as subtle confirmation that they're doing it, but have to try undoing the legal knot regarding the branding if they want to release the games as close to how they originally launched.

Retexturing the branding is likely their Plan B if they can't make agreements, but I think it's pretty admirable SEGA are at least attempting to get the brands in the game to help preserve Shenmue/Shenmue II as it was in 1999/2001.

I'd just like to play it in any way shape or form with modernized controller/movement.

Nah.

I can see the concern. Some people lost their shit when Waverace 64 was released on Virtual Console with all the brands textured over.

I can see the concern. Some people lost their shit when Waverace 64 was released on Virtual Console with all the brands textured over.

Sega has better experience with this with Crazy Taxi. I hate the Offspring but I still refused to play Crazy Taxi without it and KFC. It's part of the experience.

For Shenmue though, I'm not sure anyone really cares about Timex or whatever else is still in the US release.

I don't think that the branded products are that big of an issue or at least it's not a big hassle like when localizing a Yakuza title (Coke/Timex/etc. vs Pepsi/liquors/Don Quijote/Famitsu/BOSS Coffee/that goddawful watch Akiyama had in 5). They might get away with not using Coca-Cola as with the versions outside Japan, but I kind of want to see that put into any HD re-release. If it is a big hurdle, then yea it's another licensing cost vs RoI (as with Jet Set Radio).

I think the biggest rumored licensing issue is the tech Shenmue utilizes, as I recall THAT is a lot legal red tape.

Spaghetti

I think the biggest rumored licensing issue is the tech Shenmue utilizes, as I recall THAT is a lot legal red tape.
I've said this every time it's been brought up, but here it is again:

If there was an engine licencing issue, SEGA would not be talking about Shenmue HD, and especially not in a way that indicates they're working on making it happen. Brand licencing is a fork in the road situation they're addressing, and was directly mentioned as the key difficulty in making a remaster happen.

The only place engine licencing issues have been mentioned is a single GAF post, and not substantiated any other way since. Engine licencing would prohibit SEGA releasing the game entirely, so either the issue has been cleared up, or never existed in the first place.

EDIT: Also, bringing up Yakuza's branding deals isn't a good example. Those deals are current, Shenmue's are 15 years+ out of date.

I've said this every time it's been brought up, but here it is again:

If there was an engine licencing issue, SEGA would not be talking about Shenmue HD, and especially not in a way that indicates they're working on making it happen. Brand licencing is a fork in the road situation they're addressing, and was directly mentioned as the key difficulty in making a remaster happen.

The only place engine licencing issues have been mentioned is a single GAF post, and not substantiated any other way since. Engine licencing would prohibit SEGA releasing the game entirely, so either the issue has been cleared up, or never existed in the first place.

EDIT: Also, bringing up Yakuza's branding deals isn't a good example. Those deals are current, Shenmue's are 15 years+ out of date.

Even if SEGA is talking about it now, does not mean the problem didn't exist or isn't an active issue. I agree that product licensing can be a big issue, though Shenmue was about 3 or 4 brands, I don't see as the major hold-up UNLESS the locations of Dobuita had something to do with it (I could be entirely wrong on that part).

As for the comparison to the Yakuza branding, I think there is some merit. Even if Shenmue's deals have expired, SEGA still has to re-establish those up not only locally but internationally. It's definitely a hassle, but again the scope of it (to me anyways) doesn't seem like the only major issue holding back the HD releases, even if they're really serious about preserving the experience.

I'm not just citing the GAF rumored post, as I recall someone else on GAF asked Gio Corsi at PSX when Yakuza 5 was announced about their building list. Shenmue was number 1 on it, problem was it stated that a number of issues prevented them from fulfilling that.

It can't be just product licensing if even Sony couldn't bring/announce it out that quickly (or it could be SEGA felt it wasn't worth the effort or it wasn't viable, I could be wrong). Hell it could even extend to actor fees depending on the voice track they might use (English, Japanese, both).

Spaghetti

Even if SEGA is talking about it now, does not mean the problem didn't exist or isn't an active issue. I agree that product licensing can be a big issue, though Shenmue was about 3 or 4 brands, I don't see as the major hold-up UNLESS the locations of Dobuita had something to do with it (I could be entirely wrong on that part).
It may have been an issue (if it ever was an issue at all), but it certainly isn't now. It isn't what is holding Shenmue HD up. SEGA have said as much, and we need to take that at face value. There was no obfuscation in their statement, it was clear and direct in saying the in-game branding is a bump in the road.

As for the comparison to the Yakuza branding, I think there is some merit. Even if Shenmue's deals have expired, SEGA still has to re-establish those up not only locally but internationally. It's definitely a hassle, but again the scope of it (to me anyways) doesn't seem like the only major issue holding back the HD releases, even if they're really serious about preserving the experience.
But re-establishing those deals is what's holding up a remaster. It doesn't matter if it's one brand or one hundred, these deals need a proper agreement that has to be met and works for both parties. It takes time. If the negotiations don't go anywhere or the deal doesn't work for SEGA, they'll likely just go with Plan B and just do a retexturing job.

Yakuza's deals are ongoing and likely easy to renew year on year. Shenmue's are 15 years defunct, and they can't just pick up where they left off. It's a slow and bureaucratic process.

We don't even know if SEGA immediately decided to investigate Shenmue remasters after last E3. They've ignored the licence and have had zero interest in doing anything with it for over 15 years. A business case had to be made internally before even an investigation into the branding issue could be decided upon.

I'm not just citing the GAF rumored post, as I recall someone else on GAF asked Gio Corsi at PSX when Yakuza 5 was announced about their building list. Shenmue was number 1 on it, problem was it stated that a number of issues prevented them from fulfilling that.
This is pre-Shenmue III announcement, so it could likely refer to a sequel rather than a remaster. Without elaboration on what Gio meant by issues or what aspect of Shenmue he was referring to, it doesn't really mean anything.

It can't be just product licensing if even Sony couldn't bring/announce it out that quickly (or it could be SEGA felt it wasn't worth the effort or it wasn't viable, I could be wrong). Hell it could even extend to actor fees depending on the voice track they might use (English, Japanese, both).
There's no evidence Sony would be involved in a remaster, as it would just be another party SEGA would have to cut in on the profits.

I just think people are looking for something that isn't there. SEGA said what their key issue was with getting the remasters out in a timely fashion, but they confirmed they want to do right by the original releases, and that they're making proactive steps towards making it happen.

It may have been an issue (if it ever was an issue at all), but it certainly isn't now. It isn't what is holding Shenmue HD up. SEGA have said as much, and we need to take that at face value. There was no obfuscation in their statement, it was clear and direct in saying the in-game branding is a bump in the road.

But re-establishing those deals is what's holding up a remaster. It doesn't matter if it's one brand or one hundred, these deals need a proper agreement that has to be met and works for both parties. It takes time. If the negotiations don't go anywhere or the deal doesn't work for SEGA, they'll likely just go with Plan B and just do a retexturing job.

Yakuza's deals are ongoing and likely easy to renew year on year. Shenmue's are 15 years defunct, and they can't just pick up where they left off. It's a slow and bureaucratic process.

We don't even know if SEGA immediately decided to investigate Shenmue remasters after last E3. They've ignored the licence and have had zero interest in doing anything with it for over 15 years. A business case had to be made internally before even an investigation into the branding issue could be decided upon.

While you are correct that the quote did state the brand licensing was an issue, it is something further complicates whatever else they're dealing with getting a HD release (which is probably something technical at the very least), it's likely not the only thing holding back the release. I'll give you that the licensing can also take it's time, it's a matter of how willing are both parties to pursue a fair deal.

Something may pop-up in their investigating/assessment, something might not, like the aforementioned product deals, it's all a process. Nothing is 100% until they have it out or at least formally announced.

This is pre-Shenmue III announcement, so it could likely refer to a sequel rather than a remaster. Without elaboration on what Gio meant by issues or what aspect of Shenmue he was referring to, it doesn't really mean anything.

There's no evidence Sony would be involved in a remaster, as it would just be another party SEGA would have to cut in on the profits.

While that might have meant Shenmue 3 in some capacity, pragmatically speaking it might have also included an exclusive re-release of the original games (for fans and newcomers to get into the franchise). Yu Suzuki has been cited that the only thing that kept him from making Shenmue 3 was funding, which is something that definitely would have been required action from one of the major console makers before the days of kickstarter because of the risks. Outside of that? SEGA had no problems with allowing Shenmue 3 to be made, even willingly gave Suzuki access to assets from the previous games for him to utilize in development.

Either way, since it was a highly requested game, Sony STILL would have needed to investigate in what capacity they could get Shenmue on their platforms.

I just think people are looking for something that isn't there. SEGA said what their key issue was with getting the remasters out in a timely fashion, but they confirmed they want to do right by the original releases, and that they're making proactive steps towards making it happen.

It's just fair speculation, as you said, SEGA had no real interest in the franchise outside of maybe cameos and merchandising (they even let the trademark die for a while). Even during their port happy days in the Wii/PS3/360 era when they were more willing to take risks, arguably they've had ample opportunity to try and maybe gauge something. Who knows to be quite honest, but it wasn't until the opportunity Sony offered followed by the reaction (plus the eventual kickstater, not to mention the new boss at SoJ) where there was a noticeable difference in their attitude towards Shenmue.

Spaghetti

While you are correct that the quote did state the brand licensing was an issue, it is something further complicates whatever else they're dealing with getting a HD release (which is probably something technical at the very least), it's likely not the only thing holding back the release. I'll give you that the licensing can also take it's time, it's a matter of how willing are both parties to pursue a fair deal.

Something may pop-up in their investigating/assessment, something might not, like the aforementioned product deals, it's all a process. Nothing is 100% until they have it out or at least formally announced.

While that might have meant Shenmue 3 in some capacity, pragmatically speaking it might have also included an exclusive re-release of the original games (for fans and newcomers to get into the franchise). Yu Suzuki has been cited that the only thing that kept him from making Shenmue 3 was funding, which is something that definitely would have been required action from one of the major console makers before the days of kickstarter because of the risks. Outside of that? SEGA had no problems with allowing Shenmue 3 to be made, even willingly gave Suzuki access to assets from the previous games for him to utilize in development.

Either way, since it was a highly requested game, Sony STILL would have needed to investigate in what capacity they could get Shenmue on their platforms.

It's just fair speculation, as you said, SEGA had no real interest in the franchise outside of maybe cameos and merchandising (they even let the trademark die for a while). Even during their port happy days in the Wii/PS3/360 era when they were more willing to take risks, arguably they've had ample opportunity to try and maybe gauge something. Who knows to be quite honest, but it wasn't until the opportunity Sony offered followed by the reaction (plus the eventual kickstater, not to mention the new boss at SoJ) where there was a noticeable difference in their attitude towards Shenmue.
Without any actual evidence, the 'engine licencing' rumour is still just an urban myth. The fact SEGA are in a position to release Shenmue HD is alone proof of that. I'm not trying to be disparaging about the poster where that rumour originates from, or the people who believed them, but at this point it's clear that it isn't a problem, if it was ever a problem in the first place.

Everything else is speculation at this point, as nobody really knows the details, and to be honest, who cares? The important and comforting takeaway from this is that SEGA are at least making the steps to create a remaster, even if it means trudging through miles of legal muck about the in-game branding first.

The Shenmue III Kickstarter did the hard work in proving the series is very, very viable in this age, and I'm sure SEGA are going to capitalise however possible.

I like the graphics design.

It looks modern but also retains a lot of the look from the originals. Nice stylization. SEGA games always tend to have that stuff, it looks "computer gamey and CG graphics-ish" but artistic at the same time.

Spaghetti

I like the graphics design.

It looks modern but also retains a lot of the look from the originals. Nice stylization. SEGA games always tend to have that stuff, it looks "computer gamey and CG graphics-ish" but artistic at the same time.
Exactly.

Case in point:

CTgHpQX.jpg

OsglEnG.jpg

Shenhua's house in Shenmue III looks like my memories of it from Shenmue II. That's pretty incredible. Another poster coined a term in February when these screens came out, they said it had "AM2 lighting", which is totally right. The colour scheme of the indoors shot looks like the green and purple tones seen in Shenmue II's lighting.

That video of Shenhua's house and the Shenmue tree was so powerful because it was just how we left it and I couldn't and still can't fucking believe it. So
surreal. Holy crap, guys. One year.

Spaghetti

That video of Shenhua's house and the Shenmue tree was so powerful because it was just how we left it and I couldn't and still can't fucking believe it. So
surreal. Holy crap, guys. One year.
It felt to me like a nice "hey, Shenmue is back" moment that hasn't really been felt as strongly since the announcement. There's something really cool about seeing a familiar location at last.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the glimpses of Bailu Village, but considering its overall design is still in-progress, it's been hard to assess exactly how it fits into the Shenmue aesthetic so far. After playing the same two games annually for the last 15 years, it's still quite difficult to accept that something new is going to be added to my experience of Shenmue.

It felt to me like a nice "hey, Shenmue is back" moment that hasn't really been felt as strongly since the announcement. There's something really cool about seeing a familiar location at last.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the glimpses of Bailu Village, but considering its overall design is still in-progress, it's been hard to assess exactly how it fits into the Shenmue aesthetic so far. After playing the same two games annually for the last 15 years, it's still quite difficult to accept that something new is going to be added to my experience of Shenmue.

Seeing Bailu was fantastic.

But seeing Shenhua's house was like when you come home for vacation during university and your room is the same and everything is where you left it. It felt like home somehow. I can't explain it and the fact I feel that way about a video game location is so surreal to me.

The announcement was one thing, but I mean, the reveal trailer didn't feel Shenmue for obvious reasons.

But that Magic Monaco video. THAT is Shenmue. And it was so emotional that we've come this far. It truly felt like Shenmue III's REAL coming out party and fully sealed that this is actually happening.

Watch the video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_ShmP8sLE

Spaghetti

It's definitely in the process of getting there. The vibrancy in the colours, even off-screen, really evokes the Guilin we saw at the end of II.

Clearly there's more work to be done, but it does feel a definite evolution of the colour palette in the previous games. In terms of actual layout and assets, it's starting to take the shape of the village that was cut from the end of Shenmue II.

latest

latest

latest

The watchtower, bamboo fencing, and straw huts are definitely very similar to what we can see of Bailu Village.

Dominator

Haven't kept in the loop, the only way to get a physical copy is most likely going to be through backing right? I'm assuming it'll be digital when it releases regularly. If so, probably gonna put my $60 down.

Oh god. They're making me choose between reading an interview with Yu Suzuki and click a Polygon link. Kill me.

Your missing very little, this isn't one of Polygon's half dozen good articles a year. Article is kinda pointless, best part of what Suzuki says is:

The first step is maintaining Shenmue’s time in place. Shenmue 3 picks up the day after Shenmue 2 ended. Suzuki sees this as a way to naturally continue the series’ story.

The "main thing," as Suzuki refers to it, is continuing the life of Shenmue’s characters. In Shenmue 3, players can make phone calls to characters in the previous games to catch up on their lives. He hopes the ability hear characters’ voices, or possibly even see them in the game, will trigger memories for players of the older games.

"Because of those elements, the fans [will naturally and easily] accept Shenmue 3," Suzuki says. "I’m confident about it."

"I am worried about [fans expecting more than I can give]," he continues, but he says that doesn’t matter. "After the success [of the Kickstarter campaign], we have a commitment to deliver this game."

"If you have time to worry, you have time to work," he says.

Haven't kept in the loop, the only way to get a physical copy is most likely going to be through backing right? I'm assuming it'll be digital when it releases regularly. If so, probably gonna put my $60 down.

There might be a physical release. I can't remember if one was announced or if it's still up in the air. With Sony publishing the PS4 release, it's possible. Spaghetti probably knows but if you're okay with parting with $60 now, then I would just do it. Your $60 helps them a lot more now than it would after the release.

Your missing very little, this isn't one of Polygon's half dozen good articles a year. Article is kinda pointless, best part of what Suzuki says is:

Thanks! Yu Suzuki really seams to have things in perspective. I can't help but expect to much but whatever is released should be great. There's so much talent in this.

Spaghetti

We've had a few confirmations a physical version will be on store shelves. No idea how limited a print the run will be though.

If you're interested in the game though, you might as well cut out the middle man and do it through the Slacker Backer website. Maybe see if any of the higher tiers interest you, like access to the PC demo.

---

As for the interview with Yu, I think it was pretty fair even if it's a reiteration on what's already been said before.

Yu is juggling running a company and directing a game, which isn't an easy task. Still, he's an almost 40 year veteran of high-level video game development and project management, so I'm not really concerned.

It's nice that he puts an emphasis on fans being what keeps him going though. Fans kept the flame for Shenmue burning long after it was looking to be extinguished, and they'll likely keep being a comfort to Yu and the development team when the crunch kicks in.

His worries about people expecting more than he can give is reasonable, but there's still a myth that needs dispelling that Shenmue was solely enjoyed by people because of its breakthroughs in graphics and presentation.

Shenmue isn't a series held dear by many because of now outdated tech showcases, it's because of the elements that aren't tied to technology. The attention to detail, the cohesiveness of tone, characters, and story, the branching paths and freedom the game affords players in quests, and the unique approach to game design. None of that is really constrained by technology. At Shenmue's core is a design ethos that existed as far back as the prototypes on the Saturn.

I think it's going to be as present as ever in Shenmue III, and hopefully feature refinements like those that made Shenmue II such a good sequel to the original.

That's taking his words too far. Jesus, people. He's talking about meeting fan expectation. Given the context of the quote [worrying about meeting fan expectations] working is a far more fruitful choice than always having fan expectation cloud your mind. It's kind of like people who play music. There's a lot of people who talk about the best way to play music and get better and music theory and all this shit, but the best way to understand music and get better is by playing music. It's a similar principle.

As a developer, if his team always had to worry about meeting the expectations of players nothing would ever get done. By concentrating on making quality work, they kill two birds with one stone.

How in the world could you get "this is why Japan has poor mental health/high suicide rate" from that quote? What the hell?

Spaghetti

Sorry for the double post, but Shenmue Dojo user Giorgio pointed out that this Yu Suzuki interview from early May gives a better context for what he's trying to say in the Polygon article.

Q: The development cost of Grand Theft Auto, a game which popularized the open world concept, is said to have been over 10 billion yen (US$100m).

YS: Trying to compete directly with Grand Theft Auto and its vast difference in budget would be like a puny 10kg guy taking on a 100kg sumo wrestler. In which case, the video game fans may as well just play Grand Theft Auto, wouldn’t you say? (laughs)

Q: Trying to compete in terms of quantity would be a losing proposition, wouldn’t it.

YS: The story for the Shenmue series is made up of the 11 chapters that I planned out, with Shenmue in 1999 being Chapter One, and Shenmue II in 2001 being Chapter Two. Actually, my intention for Chapter Three has always been for a scenario that digs down into a single theme. Across the course of the first two games of the series, the player’s degree of freedom increases, their field of exploration widens and the scale of the game grows to having around 450 NPCs. By comparison, although Chapter Three will give the appearance of growing further in scale, it will focus on digging deeply down into one particular matter, just as I planned out almost 20 years ago. And I’m aiming to do so in a way that the fans will enjoy, placing importance on originality.

In short; Shenmue III will be evolution rather than revolution. Which is ultimately always how it's been pitched, even long before the Kickstarter, and fans should expect as much when the game releases.

Sorry for the double post, but Shenmue Dojo user Giorgio pointed out that this Yu Suzuki interview from early May gives a better context for what he's trying to say in the Polygon article.

In short; Shenmue III will be evolution rather than revolution. Which is ultimately always how it's been pitched, even long before the Kickstarter, and fans should expect as much when the game releases.
Absolutely fine by me. Don't need the wheel reinvented here. I have a feeling regardless of his intentions, the game will do some very intuitive things because that's just how he works.

Gotta say, every piece of media just makes the wait harder!

Rymuth

Can't wait to hear Fuku's voice and catch up on how he's stil a chump.

Also wanna hear what Goro's been up to

sbkodama

The game system is already here so don't need revolution, even more for the sake of continuity, evolution was already intended for me from shenmue 1 to 2, with freeze qte, first person battle, etc.

And to point toward shenmue 3, the shift of the chapter 5, which I could think like the true begining of shenmue3, because of the change of tone with rural areas instead of urban areas, but also because the scale reduced at the minimum of 2 characters in favor of the deep augmented by story dialogue choice.

Spaghetti

Cross-quoting from the Yu Suzuki birthday thread:

Yu Suzuki Interview Part 2 (May 9 Bessatsu Shonen Magazine) - English translated by Switch
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50092

rT9HyAhm.png

Some choice quotes -

Why Yu Suzuki wanted to make Shenmue, and its roots in old Apple II Adventure Games/RPGs

I: Before talking about the game at the center of everyone's attention, Shenmue III, I'd like to reflect back on the Shenmue series in general. I believe the first game, published in 1999, was "Shenmue ~Chapter One: Yokosuka~". That was your first full-fledged title for a home console, wasn't it.

YS: Until then, I had been working only on developing arcade games since joining SEGA in 1983. With arcade game development you have to focus on cramming in the game's essence and inject a fun experience for the player, within a playtime limited to around 3 minutes. I spent some ten-odd years pushing myself to condense the core attractions of a game into a short period of time. Games for a home console are quite different. They don't have the restriction of brief gameplay imposed by arcade games, and time can be taken in communicating a game's features to the player. For me it started by wanting to be able to express myself as a developer with a home console game, unrestricted by time. But to go back even further to my earliest roots, I was greatly influenced as a student by a computer called the Apple II.

I: Oh yes, I remember it! We all dreamed of owning an Apple II as students, but it was something that was far out of our reach.

YS: I also couldn't afford one myself, but seeing those video games running on the Apple II really stirred the imagination, didn't it. Early on, there was a genre of games known as text adventures, which displayed only words on the screen. Following that, as the capabilities of PCs increased, games began to display line graphics together with the text. In "Mystery House", a typical game of that era, the lines were blurry giving them the appearance of full-color graphics. Then in the 1980s the role-playing game (RPG) series "Ultima" emerged, bringing with it 3D dungeons and even sound generation. I witnessed the evolution of these kinds of games, and at the time my reaction was simply "Wow".

I: Back then was a time when video games evolved at break-neck speed, didn't they, to keep pace with the improving capabilities of PCs.

YS: Ultima in particular set itself apart from the adventure games seen before then whose story would progress in the same way no matter who played; rather, the outcome differed slightly for each person playing. Depending on things like the player's actions and experience points gained within the game, the story develops differently. That's what really got my attention. So for me, RPGs evolved from adventure games – text adventure games that displayed only words. Line graphics were added to these text-only games, followed by the ability to portray color and sound; then the sound-effects became more realistic... To me, the evolution of video games was a rapid broadening of "what's possible". This led to me wondering if I could put 3D graphics on the screen, or include speech. And the result of a natural extension to my thoughts is the Shenmue series.

Pondering on the idea of licencing Shenmue's engine
(This may confirm SEGA wholly owns Shenmue's engine, putting the "engine licencing problems" theory to bed about Shenmue HD.)

I: Conversely the market overseas was energized by the release of Shenmue I. Even the developers behind Grand Theft Auto went so far as to comment that seeing Shenmue I served as strong encouragement for them, saying that it opened up the way forward for them; they saw that evolving in that direction could work.

YS: Looking back on it now, if I had taken the Shenmue I game engine at that time and made it available as a tool for developers, it might have become the equivalent of something like today's Unreal Engine or Unity. But at the point in time of the first game, the game engine portion wasn't fully finished so we weren't able to make a strong pitch about it. I think if the game engine portion had been complete, then it would have been markedly more efficient to develop the second game onwards. Creating game engines or development tools like this is something at which people in the West are particularly adept. Back in 1999 they realized what development tools would be needed to create a game allowing the player complete freedom of action, and went ahead with the steps to get there.

Yu Suzuki confirms that the events of the original Shenmue were a prologue that had to be extended and released as its own title
(Love the original game, but this does explain the glacial pace compared to II. Shenmue II is where the story really begins, and it shows.)

I: I think more now than ever, with the Japan game industry up against tough times, your words and Shenmue's concepts really stand out. Last year, when the father of Metal Gear Solid, Hideo Kojima, went independent, he said "If we're only focused on the profits immediately in front of us, the times will leave the Japanese games industry behind. It becomes impossible to catch up again." This reflects what has happened after Shenmue.

YS: When Shenmue I was released, reviews were mixed. I can talk about it now as the "statue of limitations" has expired, but originally the Shenmue series was a single story made up of 11 chapters, that I was planning to release in two parts. Then it became necessary to release just the first chapter as a single game: putting together its own opening and ending and adjusting it story-wise to provide an Introduction, Development, Turn and Conclusion. So, if I had to say whether Shenmue I turned out as I had first envisaged, then that's not necessarily the case. My belief is that you must always be taking on new challenges, in order for new methods of expression and game production techniques to see the light. If you only rely on the old and familiar, the day will come when you're no longer able to stand up against the rest of the world.

Really enlightening interview, IMO. Lots of substance in there.

ajim

Cross-quoting from the Yu Suzuki birthday thread:

Some choice quotes -

Why Yu Suzuki wanted to make Shenmue, and its roots in old Apple II Adventure Games/RPGs

Pondering on the idea of licencing Shenmue's engine
(This may confirm SEGA wholly owns Shenmue's engine, putting the "engine licencing problems" theory to bed about Shenmue HD.)

Yu Suzuki confirms that the events of the original Shenmue were a prologue that had to be extended and released as its own title
(Love the original game, but this does explain the glacial pace compared to II. Shenmue II is where the story really begins, and it shows.)

Really enlightening interview, IMO. Lots of substance in there.
Fantastic article. I love reading all of these shenmue things and seeing how yu articulates his thinking.

Spaghetti

Yu's very good at articulating his creative thought processes, even in using more abstract terms. He's also very clearly a forward thinker, there's a reason why he was such a driving force in progressing game technology.

ajim

Yu's very good at articulating his creative thought processes, even in using more abstract terms. He's also very clearly a forward thinker, there's a reason why he was such a driving force in progressing game technology.

I really hope Shenmue 3 is not only successful for more future Shenmue games, but also to put Yu back on the map in terms of gaming.

I'm sure he has heaps of ideas and things he would like to try bring to the table, I just hope this helps him get his name back out there with the whos who.

Spaghetti

I really hope Shenmue 3 is not only successful for more future Shenmue games, but also to put Yu back on the map in terms of gaming.

I'm sure he has heaps of ideas and things he would like to try bring to the table, I just hope this helps him get his name back out there with the whos who.
While it'd be nice if he went on to do more than just Shenmue, he'll be 59 before Shenmue III even comes out.

I think Shenmue is likely going to take up the rest of his career, one way or another. Yu won't be particularly upset about that, I suspect. Shenmue was always meant to be his magnum opus, and being able to see it to completion despite all odds would be a great way to top his career off.

So anyway, to E3 and a potential anniversary KS update-

I'm placing my hopes on seeing new character models for Ryo and Shenhua. I think we'll get a video of some kind, but it won't be "gameplay". I think it'll be another video of Bailu Village like we saw at MAGIC in February, but more... refined, I guess? Like, filled up with NPCs, some changes to the layout and assets, etc. I figure they'll save showing Chobu until next year, and might not show Baisha at all before release.

Krejlooc

Banned
I want Yu Suzuki to take another stab at Space Harrier. It'd be nice to see how much he could improve over the original formula after a lifetime of practice.

Spaghetti

I want Yu Suzuki to take another stab at Space Harrier. It'd be nice to see how much he could improve over the original formula after a lifetime of practice.
He did think up a new concept, for mobile.

Basically, it would have made spinning office chairs a surrogate for the moving cabinet of the original arcade Space Harrier. Sounds cool enough, but of course the application would be limited because of needing an office chair, so for one reason or another it was never made.

Double post, sorry.

But!

One year ago today, Shenmue III was announced at E3 2015. Nobody could have anticipated the record breaking outpouring of support for a series everybody thought was dead.

$6,616,876 raised and 72,525 backers later, and here we are.

Congrats on making this happen, everybody. We saved Shenmue.

wVFZfon.gif

I'm surprised we were able to raise an additional 300k after the end of the campaign. That's pretty impressive. Come on guys, let's raise another 400k :D

Top Bottom