• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

i cannot believe some of you are advocating and normalizing this shit cause it was a GOP rep.

this is gross. every political thread on gaf is about how partisan the GOP is, about how they only care about the R next to their name.

you people are just as bad as the ones you claim to be above.

Pillville

images

We also need one of those that goes Left to Right

Code:
Diseased                  Patriotic
Liberal                  Conservative

Yes, this dude is literally hitler.
He asked how someone good could be happy about someone being shot. I was just answering the question, not drawing any parallels between Hitler and this guy who was involved in some amount of controversy for speaking at a conference run by David Duke a few years back.

i cannot believe some of you are advocating and normalizing this shit cause it was a GOP rep.

this is gross.
I would like to challenge you to quote the posters that are advocating this attack.

I think a poster put it well earlier. Understanding how in times of deseperation people act is not championing or cheering these types of actions.

Number_6

Lots of conclusions reached. Like, do we know it was the shooter that asked who was on the field, dems or GOP? The report I read said "a guy".

Either way, it's a terrible thing.

3rdman

Only just found out about this...I TRULY hope that everyone will be ok but (and I'm sorry in advance) can we talk about gun control NOW?

Fake Edit: M4 or not, the point is that some people should simply NOT be allowed to have guns...its that simple. We need to be a bit selective...Yes I am aware that this is exactly the type of language which sends NRA-pro people over the walls but frankly, they've lost the moral ground and the argument as far as I am concerned.

I thought that at first too.... until I checked Twitter. Even the most hateful GAF comment seems like a calm, mild, ration discussion compared to the right wing reactions I'm seeing already.

Protip: Never check Twitter for anything involving politics. Sports, and the weather are about all that's safe on that platform.

I would like to challenge you to quote the posters that are advocating this attack.

Like...right here?

Indeed but the attempted destruction of evil is something good people can be happy about despite the unlawful and probably overly rash methods.

This kinda attitude doesn't belong here or anywhere decent. This was attempted murder not anything to be happy about. "Good people" don't rejoice over violence.

k

Indeed but the attempted destruction of evil is something good people can be happy about despite the unlawful and probably overly rash methods.

There are few things that bring about political change. And among those, the most succesful one seems to be violence. I am not saying it was worth it in this case or making a judgement about political violence in other contexts, but it does work.

Ac30

He asked how someone good could be happy about someone being shot. I was just answering the question, not drawing any parallels between Hitler and this guy who was involved in some amount of controversy for speaking at a conference run by David Duke a few years back.

Fair enough. My point was that even if this guy is a shitbird random political violence just breeds reprisals.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is fucked up.
Only a coward would strike like this.

A testament to how divided politics have become.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

this is gross. every political thread on gaf is about how partisan the GOP is, about how they only care about the R next to their name.

you people are just as bad as the ones you claim to be above.

new rule, quote these people that you are talking about.

bionic77

That is scary and fucked it.

Hope all the injured fully recover.

With the firepower the shooter had it could have been a lot worse.

droggg

I think this thread is a perfect example of just how toxic this forum has become recently, I honestly can't believe some of the posts I'm reading here....

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

you quote two people out of 4 pages worth of thread. The second of which isn't really condoning it and even goes so far as to say so. But he is right. Violence has brought about change. The USA wouldnt exist with a violent revolution. The French revolution as well, those are just two right off the top of my head.

AR15 is an m16 not an M4, different lengths.

Generically, both are referred to as AR 15 style rifles in the civie world.

However, if you say M4 or M4 style rifle, you do mean a different configuration (one that is far more popular) then the M16 style configuration.

That being said, this is yet another senseless tragedy that won't do anything positive.

Steel

Banned
Do we know the shooter's race/religion?

I just really hope he isn't Muslim.

Fat middle aged white guy. So Trump can't blame muslims. I do expect a "Democrats are terrorists" angle, though.

Can people just think these thoughts instead of actually posting them. How many "plz be white" events does this forum need.

It's a legit question given the COIC. You can think the shooting is horrible and also worry about whether this will be used as an excuse for the muslim ban.

Dead Man

Yes, m4 is 14 inch barrel right? M16 = 16 inch.

You can get an AR15 with at 14 inch barrel if you SBR it and pay the tax.

No. An M16 is a military rifle that is full auto and has a 20 inch barrel. An M4 is the same basic receiver but a 14.5 inch barrel and a collapsible stock. An AR 15 is any rifle that uses the civilian version of that receiver.

you quote two people out of 4 pages worth of thread. The second of which isn't really condoning it and even goes so far as to say so. But he is right. Violence has brought about change. The USA wouldnt exist with a violent revolution. The French revolution as well, those are just two right off the top of my head.

sounds a LOT like youre saying we should resort to violence.

idk any other way to take that.

if you want to take the politicians angle of "well im not saying we should DO IT but it totally does work if someone does it just saying" go ahead, thats not weird or anything.

Can we have a fucking gun control conversation that doesn't end up as a dick wagging contest on technicalities around what type of gun something is. Jesus fucking Muhammad.

flkraven

Can people just think these thoughts instead of actually posting them. How many "plz be white" events does this forum need.

It's bad for me to hope that a tragedy doesn't turn into an excuse for Trump et al to cause chaos around the world?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
In this case, a person eyeballing it and saying it's an M4 wouldn't be technically wrong.

True, but M4 is a military designation for a select fire gun. SBRing an m4 to be 14.5inch doesn't make it an M4 because it doesn't add select fire. Removing the select fire from an M4 doesn't make an M4 a Ar15 though.

IMO the person who identified the gun just used the military designation. Its way more likely to be an AR15 than a civilian M4.

People of the 2nd went so far as to invent a conspiracy theory after Sandy Hook to deflect criticism away from assault rifles.

This isn't going to change shit.

if you want to take the politicians angle of "well im not saying we should DO IT but it totally does work if someone does it just saying" go ahead, thats not weird or anything.

That's one way to take that, I guess.

I've only seen you reactively quote 2 people with the last person posting about how historically violence has caused change.

Dead Man

Can we have a fucking gun control conversation that doesn't end up as a dick wagging contest on technicalities around what type of gun something is. Jesus fucking Muhammad.

Indeed. But lets at least agree what all the words mean. It's difficult to have effective communication when there is disagreement on the basic terms. And if gun control advocates want to be taken seriously by the gun lobby, it helps to reduce avenues for them to attack you on technicalities. They still go on about some politician who got her terms wrong when discussing the AWB.

Top Bottom