• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

SummitAve

Banned
Super fucked up. Also fucked up that people can't seem to control themselves, or have any patience for the facts, in their hypothesizing of the political implications.

I was just thinking this. The more they push these draconian dangerous laws that will end up with people dead. then those people and friends and families voice isn't heard, they are ignored and the only thing they have to turn to is violence.

scary fucking time to be alive

The loudest voice to be heard is the most destructive one. And with the way things are going right now with the GOP, let's hope it's a voice we won't have to hear at the end of it all....

Gutek

You're missing the point, politicians only care about themselves. You best believe that if they're getting gunned down that they'll clamp down on gun rights. It was the same with healthcare where they were trying to purposefully excluded themselves from the terrible provisions. If it doesn't affect them they'll take money anyone is willing to hand out

Nah. The narrative is already being spun. It's the media's fault for being unfair to the GOP. If anything, they'll try to stifle free speech in some way over this.

Mark L

This thread has behavior I expect from Republicans, and the kind I have literally used as an example of the difference between Ds and Rs.

Steel

Banned
Some comments here are distasteful as fuck. People almost died and the motives of the shooter are currently unknown. Let's leave the pointless political finger pointing to the mindless 24hr news cycle.

There is going to be a major game of political tug of war as competing narratives try to paint this lunatic as either a right or left wing extremist.

It doesn't really matter whether he was left or right wing in the end, he should not have had an assault rifle with which he could shoot 50 bullets from, full stop.

DonShula

When they go low, we go high.

Until one of them gets shot. Then we go low because [Nelson laugh].

Shooting this man accomplishes nothing. Those who want to spin will spin anything. Including being shot.

akileese

Indeed but the attempted destruction of evil is something good people can be happy about despite the unlawful and probably overly rash methods.

Absolutely not. Two wrongs DO NOT make a right. This attitude is no better than the evil that you speak of.

SpartanN92

Banned
Some of the comments here are disgusting and you should be ashamed. I'm ashamed just reading this at the hatred and vile indifference in this thread.

How this is treated and handled going forward depends a lot on who he was and why he did it. White means it's very likely he gets the "disturbed lone wolf thoughts and prayers and move on" treatment, but if he's shown to have links to left leaning groups they could spin it into a crackdown.

---

Hoping everyone pulls through. The GOP deserves a lot, but I don't know if they deserve this, and of course the innocent bystanders dont deserve anything close.

Dryk

Indeed but the attempted destruction of evil is something good people can be happy about despite the unlawful and probably overly rash methods.
That people feel they have to resort to violence in order to destroy evil is something to lament, not celebrate. And it doesn't even matter if their feeling is valid or not.

prayersGOP-660x330.jpg

kingprayer4n-7-web.jpg

Maybe they should have prayed more or thought about passing better legislation.

Those people, specifically, are of questionable character.

But when people log off, turn off their TVs, and actually have to live their lives, cope, recover, that is when God shows up: to heal.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
An M4? That is illegal to own. If it really is an M4 gun control would have done nothing. This is an illegally obtained firearm.

Would explain the inaccuracy though if he was firing fully automatic.

IIRC you can get the M4 in semi auto that doesnt have the full auto switch.

Bleepey

A lot of posters here want to say "lol don't care fuck em" but the early ban has produced these weakly written yet not-subtle contributions instead.

Just say what you mean.

Say what I really mean? Ok. I don't advocate for violence against politicians, one because I don't advocate for. Iolence against people 2) I think there are better ways to bring about change 3) I don't wanna make a martyr out of him. I'd hope the GOP would be introspective and think about the effect gun proliferation will have on every day folk but alas they'll argue for any jackass to be allowed guns regardless of mental competence or possible criminal background. These people when children were mowed down did nothing but twiddle their thumbs and say "oh geeze now is not the time to politicise this, thoughts and prayers and all" and then went back to business as usual.

Yeah, they shouldn't be doing anything recreational at all. Especially for a stupid charity game!

Get someone else to do it. We did not elect these people to play baseball, for fun or for charity. If they want to do something charitable, they'll reject the corrupting influences of Washington and fulfill their oath to serve the people of this country.

Violence is a horrible solution, but I wouldn't blame anyone who got indignant seeing elected officials doing anything vestigial during this difficult time. They deserved to be called out for this, but never harmed.

Maoyama

Banned
Say what I really mean? Ok. I don't advocate for violence against politicians, one because I don't advocate for. Iolence against people 2) I think there are better ways to bring about change 3) I don't wanna make a martyr out of him. I'd hope the GOP would be introspective and think about the effect gun proliferation will have on every day folk but alas they'll argue for any jackass to be allowed guns regardless of mental competence or possible criminal background. These people when children were mowed down did nothing but twiddle their thumbs and say "oh geeze now is not the time to politicise this, thoughts and prayers and all" and then went back to business as usual.

There are few things that bring about political change. And among those, the most succesful one seems to be violence. I am not saying it was worth it in this case or making a judgement about political violence in other contexts, but it does work.

Paz

An M4? That is illegal to own. If it really is an M4 gun control would have done nothing. This is an illegally obtained firearm.

Would explain the inaccuracy though if he was firing fully automatic.

You honestly believe that? Gun control absolutely reduces the flow of illegal guns.

Hope everyone pulls through.

Brinbe

Fucking horrible. Gonna leave politics out of it. No one, regardless of political affiliation, should go through that.

Pretty much this.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I personally won't be affected by their monstrous healthcare bill, though I have a few friends who will be, but imagine if your husband, your wife, your children, or multiple loved ones were issued a death sentence based on the actions of these men. Where would your headspace be?

On top of everything else, imagine the people responsible weren't somber about their decision, instead they were laughing, cracking open beers and playing baseball to celebrate their horror.

Unfortunately I think this is the reality. That garish celebration about signing people's death sentences was beyond the pale. I think incidents like this are going to happen more but it's going to have the opposite effect than people think. Notice the president was quick to tweet when one of the republicans got shot but when other American citizens are dying he doesn't say shit.

I thought that at first too.... until I checked Twitter. Even the most hateful GAF comment seems like a calm, mild, ration discussion compared to the right wing reactions I'm seeing already.

If this was targeted at Democrats, you could create a domestic terror watchlist from the Twitter comments.

Top Bottom