• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

I'm gonna echo the people who said this was tragic, but inevitable. The GOP are slowly day by day pushing the common people into a really tight corner with their horrible laws and as the saying goes, put someone in a corner, they'll come out swinging.

Pretty much this.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I personally won't be affected by their monstrous healthcare bill, though I have a few friends who will be, but imagine if your husband, your wife, your children, or multiple loved ones were issued a death sentence based on the actions of these men. Where would your headspace be?

On top of everything else, imagine the people responsible weren't somber about their decision, instead they were laughing, cracking open beers and playing baseball to celebrate their horror.

look, they did not do anything after Sandyhook.
little children got gunned down, I emphisize: little children!!!!

Congress did NOTHING on gun control.

if Sandyhook didn't change anything, nothing will.
The US has a gun addiction problem

Similar occurances have happened before where right wing militants have been spun as left wing loons. In any case, it's not like it's hard to sell a narrative on some random lunatic.

I don't doubt you, but can you source some shootings where this happened (so I can view the details)? And have they been as high profile as a shooting of a politician?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Exactly. The best hope, strictly politically, is this is a guy with a Republican voting background.

Even then, you can guess what the narrative will be. I do think this might lead to less rights for the media, or at least the attempt. Because you know that is and will be the narrative from the far right, and guess who really controls the people in power right now?

The only way any politician of any political party can douse out the myriad lit fuses on Powder Keg America is to improve the lives of Americans and everyone knows that is not going to happen.

Wilsongt

I know there are some who will try to push some Democrat derangement syndrome, and those people deserve to be sat down in a room across from Gabby Giffords and have her bitch slap them. Repeatidly.

RS4-

They'll do something when their favorite republican actor, sports star or singer gets shot.

Jakoo

lots of fucking weird justifications for human beings being shot and potentially killed here without

1. knowing motive
2. knowing anything
3. any semblance of human decency.

I hope a lot of you know you sound just like the people who said giffords deserved it. its pretty pathetic how partisan some of you are while claiming to not be.

Thank you. This thread is not bringing out the best of this forum.

They'll do something when their favorite republican actor or singer gets shot.
No they won't. Second Amendment rights are ideological for them. "Doing something" for them would be making guns more available to responsible citizens to counteract the criminal threat.

jstripes

Banned
I'm gonna echo the people who said this was tragic, but inevitable. The GOP are slowly day by day pushing the common people into a really tight corner with their horrible laws and as the saying goes, put someone in a corner, they'll come out swinging.

This can go all kinds of ways. There's plenty of people out there who believe the Democrats and the media are the problem.

I hope this doesn't trigger copycats.

Bleepey

I wanna snarkily say "my thoughts and prayers". However I think stuff like this is wrong even if I can't sympathise with the GOP for lying in a bed of their own making.

Thank you. This thread is not bringing out the best of this forum.
Yep. All political violence is bad. All language of violence in political contexts degrades our democracy. It's also deeply irresponsible in a country where guns are widely available and gun violence is rampant.

Dead Man

This is terrible. I hope the aide that got hit pulls through and has a swift recovery.

My thoughts and prayers go out for Scalise.

Nicely put. In every way.

#breaking from @CBSThisMorning Just in: suspected shooter reportedly had a M4 assault rifle and pistol. He is in custody.

https://twitter.com/michellekiro7/status/874973027028611072

And that's all he managed? Glad he was incompetent as well. Whatever his motivation he has made a huge problem worse.

Gutek

I wanna snarkily say "my thoughts and prayers". However I think stuff like this is wrong even if I can't sympathise with the GOP for lying in a bed of their own making.

Trump's statement already said that. They provide their own snark.

If the victims supported strong gun rights maybe they would have been safe. Right, we only use that one when children are murdered.

The only way any politician of any political party can douse out the myriad lit fuses on Powder Keg America is to improve the lives of Americans and everyone knows that is not going to happen.

Yep. What just happened was evidence that little bursts are happening and sooner or later one of those bursts are gonna hit a proverbial room of dynamite.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Horrible and I hope everyone recovers smoothly...

...but for God's sake, read the room people. At a time when Congress is widely considered to be apathetic and impotent at best, and wholly corrupt at worst, spending time on recreation in plain public view is a stupid idea.
Yeah, they shouldn't be doing anything recreational at all. Especially for a stupid charity game!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Are people cheering this unaware that they're the same as the GOP Rep cheering a suicide bombing because it happened against Iran?

who's cheering it? I see a bunch of highly logical people saying this is inevitable when you threaten peoples well being enough, eventually they threaten back.

Its very frustrating and im a white upper middle class male. I've got it made. Yet i call my representatives. I know for a fact people were flooding Cornyn's and Cruz's lines and fax machines over Devos appointment, they both still voted in the affirmative for her.
Imagine being the person angrily yelling at your representative at town halls and all they do is give you platitudes, then turn around and vote against your wishes. Now imagine you barely have a job or no job at all and these assholes keep voting to make your life worse. Understanding this is not condoning it.

You're missing the point, politicians only care about themselves. You best believe that if they're getting gunned down that they'll clamp down on gun rights. It was the same with healthcare where they were trying to purposefully excluded themselves from the terrible provisions. If it doesn't affect them they'll take money anyone is willing to hand out

kirby_fox

Banned
Terrible situation.

I have sadly expected this to happen in the political environment we're in. People with nothing to lose and that see you as an enemy will get violent. I hope we don't see a retaliation.

spekkeh

Banned
Indeed.

Why would it be?!
Somebody who wanted the other guy?

Gillespie barely eked out Corey Stewart, who gave away a free AR 15 some time ago as an electon stunt in honor of the second amendment. The GOP people have ostensibly been shot by an AR 15, 1+1=3?

You're missing the point, politicians only care about themselves. You best believe that if they're getting gunned down that they'll clamp down on gun rights. It was the same with healthcare where they were trying to purposefully excluded themselves from the terrible provisions. If it doesn't affect them they'll take money anyone is willing to hand out

they did nothing after Rep Gabby Gifford

tbm24

Indeed but the attempted destruction of evil is something good people can be happy about despite the unlawful and probably overly rash methods.
This doesn't even come close to an attempt to destruct evil. Desperation can lead someone to do rash things, doesn't make it okay or something to not condemn. There's nothing to be happy about.

Yep. What just happened was evidence that little bursts are happening and sooner or later one of those bursts are gonna hit a proverbial room of dynamite.

My fear is, and has been for awhile, that when you start running the 2020 campaign, it will happen. If there is a young, dynamic Democrat who looks promising...

That's just where my mind goes, and it sucks. I feared it for Obama, I thought that would for sure be where it lead next, thankfully not.

Bleepey

people got fucking shot man
prayersGOP-660x330.jpg

kingprayer4n-7-web.jpg

Maybe they should have prayed more or thought about passing better legislation.

I was just thinking this. The more they push these draconian dangerous laws that will end up with people dead. then those people and friends and families voice isn't heard, they are ignored and the only thing they have to turn to is violence.

scary fucking time to be alive

Indeed but the attempted destruction of evil is something good people can be happy about despite the unlawful and probably overly rash methods.

did you just call murder "overly rash methods" that we should be happy about?

wtf is going on in this thread?

whats wrong with some of you?

Aurongel

Some comments here are distasteful as fuck. People almost died and the motives of the shooter are currently unknown. Let's leave the pointless political finger pointing to the mindless 24hr news cycle.

There is going to be a major game of political tug of war as competing narratives try to paint this lunatic as either a right or left wing extremist.

Cagey

Banned
A lot of posters here want to say "lol don't care fuck em" but the early ban has produced these weakly written yet not-subtle contributions instead.

Just say what you mean.

...not if the shooter is white.

Hate to take this is in a different direction, but if he is, and a registered Republican to boot, he'll get the lone wolf treatment. They'd sooner rip up the AHCA.

Some comments here are distasteful as fuck. People almost died and the motives of the shooter are currently unknown. Let's leave the pointless political finger pointing to the mindless 24hr news cycle.

There is going to be a major game of political tug of war as competing narratives try to paint this lunatic as either a right or left wing extremist.

they did nothing after Sandyhook, nothing!

they had the power to enact change, they chose to do nothing

Top Bottom