• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: "We believe in the premium release of a title" before subscriptions

Three

Ehh, nope.

Because inclusion of your game into sub service day one does not mean that game will sold 0 copies. Which is obvious when you go to SteamDB and see how popular are games like Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon or Flight Sim on Steam despite them being in Game Pass at release. So yeah, you are sacrificing part of sales of your first-party games to build your sub service, but not all sales of course.

Of course PS+ Extra had better dump of content. Because PS Now had shovelware so Sony had so much to catch up that they end up adding games that already are or were on Game Pass eons ago (games like Metro Exodus, Guardians of the Galaxy etc.). But at the end of the day, it's about Day One stuff. Nobody cares that you can watch Witcher in your local TV in 2 years after Netflix airing. You want to watch it when it is out.
It sells considerably less. You're again listing games with built in mtxs especially Sea of thieves. What was its sales after you were saying Sony would brag about sales if they were good for HFW. What are the sales for Sea of thieves, FS2020, Halo Infinite, etc?
Of course PS+ Extra had better dump of content. Because PS Now had shovelware so Sony had so much to catch up that they end up adding games that already are or were on Game Pass eons ago (games like Metro Exodus, Guardians of the Galaxy etc.). But at the end of the day, it's about Day One stuff. Nobody cares that you can watch Witcher in your local TV in 2 years after Netflix airing. You want to watch it when it is out.
So you're just trolling then. Returnal, Demon's souls, Spiderman Miles Morales, Death stranding, Ghost of Tsushima were not already on gamepass eons ago. PSNow had a shitload of shovelware but it also had Bethesda/Zenimax games before they were bought and became first party and released on gamepass later. Nobody cared. Did Metro Exodus, Guardians of the Galaxy become shit games on gamepass because they weren't day one? Did you unsubscribe because there were no first party day one releases this year? That's its main selling point according to you so it must not have been that appealing.

You have to sacrifice sales to the detriment of the game or make a GaaS type mtx filled game to make it beneficial for the game. Not doing day one releases especially for big budget single player games with no mtxs is fine though.

Last edited:

photogaz

Personally I like buying games over having a subscription. As an older gamer, a high quality single player campaign is a must and I can take a month of casual playing to finish a game. I don't believe single player quality can be there with subscriptions.

Some companies don't need to create the illusion of "value" in order to justify their existence. Hence this thread.
It's not an illusion. If I decide to impulse buy 1 indie game a month, that's $30-40 now.

If there's literally even 1 game a month on Gamepass that I enjoy playing then it pays for the equivalent of 1-4 months of GP at full price. And I don't pay full price, since I did the Gold trick. And usually there's like 5-8 games a month I find entertaining. The value proposition is pretty ridiculous for someone like me that enjoys playing new games, AA games and lots of indies. I used to pay $6 to rent 1 game for a weekend. Rental services have been around for a while.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS+ Extra doesn't have the GP Jehovah's Witnesses or marketers who seem so invested.
PS+ Extra is the Best Deal In Gaming

That help?

It amazes me how people always seem to forget that all games in GamePass are sold outside of the service.
Because the sales charts forget as well.
Tea Time Drink GIF by VH1

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Starfield is cheap? Elder Scrolls 6 will be cheap? Fallout 5 will be cheap? Fable? Hellblade 2? Indiana Jones? Redfall? Perfect Dark? Avowed? The Outer Worlds 2? What about all the other first party studios like id software, coalition, inXile with games coming to Game Pass?

None of the games I listed are games as a service.

Hard to profit from sub model? This is Microsoft we are talking about... Game Pass is more or less adopting the Office 365 model. Whenever people factor in the profitability of Game Pass and the sustainability of it with very high quality, big budget AAAs you MUST also factor the company attached to this and their ability to bankroll those kinds of things. Microsoft is one of those companies who are perfectly fine with not getting a full premium sale up front. They're more than comfortable getting it over the course of their fiscal year. Such a thing would be more difficult for Sony in the short term because Sony's overall business simply isn't quite as strong as Microsoft's.

In Microsoft's more recent 3 month quarterly report for Q4 FY 2022 (3 months ended June 2022) these were the results.

$51.9 billion in revenue
$20.5 billion in operating income
$16.7 billion in net income

But what about the entire fiscal year? Microsoft's FY 2022 (12 months ended June 2022)

$198.3 billion in revenue
$83.4 billion in operating income
$72.7 billion in net income

Compare that to Sony's most recent full fiscal year 2021 (12 months Ended Mar 31, 2022)

$69.4 billion in revenue
$8.4 billion in operating income
$6.1 billion in net income

Another way to look at these numbers is the following:

For every $5 billion of revenue Microsoft makes $2.10 billion in Operating income
For every $5 billion of revenue Sony makes $605 million in Operating income

It's better to say all this would be far less sustainable for Sony, but not Microsoft. They're not the same. Sony as a company who doesn't bring in the kind of money Microsoft does is more in need of getting their return on their investment faster via premium, full price sales. Microsoft? They're perfectly fine with waiting and getting their money throughout the year. You see what they make in 3 months compared to Sony for a full year?

And keep in mind that Game Pass has grown 15 million subs since 2020. It's no doubt likely to grow further over the next 8 years (not assuming the pace will be the same, of course), especially once the Activision deal is approved and major releases like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 drop. Game Pass growing means MORE revenue coming in. We see the way Microsoft as an overall business converts revenue. Clearly so far with Game Pass along with a gaming business that isn't quite as profitable as either Sony's or Nintendo's hasn't done nearly enough to stop Microsoft as a company from consistently reporting record earnings.

So when you suggest games will be cheaper, it will lead to the devaluation of games, and it will never be profitable, be careful to never forget that this is Microsoft we are talking about. They are not separate from Xbox. And when that Activision deal, giving them Call of Duty (mobile versions too), Candy Crush, Diablo, Overwatch, World of Warcraft etc, etc., closes this will all be even more true.

Would you be open to the idea that game pass could cheapen people's perceptions of games? Or you don't believe that's the case at all?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It amazes me how people always seem to forget that all games in GamePass are sold outside of the service.

Yep. Every single game on the service is also sold at retail / digital storefront.

People use some real unfounded arguments when talking about the "GP model this" and "GP model that".

It's not an illusion. If I decide to impulse buy 1 indie game a month, that's $30-40 now.

If there's literally even 1 game a month on Gamepass that I enjoy playing then it pays for the equivalent of 1-4 months of GP at full price. And I don't pay full price, since I did the Gold trick. And usually there's like 5-8 games a month I find entertaining. The value proposition is pretty ridiculous for someone like me that enjoys playing new games, AA games and lots of indies. I used to pay $6 to rent 1 game for a weekend. Rental services have been around for a while.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol, nope. Just because GoW is a great game does not mean GoT does not compare, for me it far far far better than you give it justice and one of the most fun and engaging open world games I have ever played.

Glad you enjoyed a lot bro. I thought it was decent but I had to force myself to complete it. It was a slog for me personally.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just like "We believe in generations". It's all nonsense. Sony is really not good at PR.

At least when Yoshida says something, you can reasonably believe he's coming from a place of good nature / good faith.

Unlike whenever a PR statement led by Ryan comes out.

Shubh_C63

believe GP model will lead to devaluation of games and gaming as a whole.
Hard to profit sub model
Games have to be cheaper to make
Games have to be gaas
Userbase gets used to free/cheap games.

Death of 60-70$ high quality games... and death of physical and and ownership... so HOPE IT'S NOT END ALL BE ALL !

GP will encourage more devs to make AA games rather than big-AAA that invites massive risk.
We need creative games to hit limelight than most marketed shiny graphics game.
Everything is going Gaas anyway and what's wrong with Free if its good ?

I will support Sony till the end of times because their strategy is risky, need AAA hitters everytime and a Days Gone can happen anytime. But damn their games are good.

Pelta88

Your post personifies the issue many of us have with GP. The argument for it is always monetary. Never about what matters to us most... The games.

I have GP and the amount of fodder in that service, to me, is frightening. Especially when they XBOX execs keep referring to it as "The Future."

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Many people openly admit to no longer buying games after having the service though or buying less games and that's very bad for us all

Lognor

Banned
They are all in it for the business of making money first and foremost.

However, some companies are confident enough in their games that they are happy to sell them directly to the consumer without needing to subsidise them or give them away via a subscription service. Some companies don't need to create the illusion of "value" in order to justify their existence. Hence this thread.
"Some companies are confident to sell games directly to consumers"...You mean the way things have been done for DECADES? Uh no shit? So brave of those companies! Wow!!! /s

Some companies are so confident in the "value" of their games that they are increasing said prices of those games and the means in which to play those games. Again, so brave. Gotta love that confidence!

When will xbox fanboys get it into their skulls, that Sony or Nintendo will not be launching their games on a subscription service? They don't have the money to burn and experiment like that. You want them to abandon what's making them money right now and move to an unproven new model? It isn't gonna happen unless the current model starts tanking completely.

Hobbygaming

Yeah. We already saw how Sony's sub service is increasing exposure of games during live cycle with PS Now. Service that almost everybody ignored and which had beautiful attach ratio to PS4 consoles sold of 2% :messenger_grinning:

Look. It's not that hard to understand. Sony wants to maximise profits. It is not about "we can't afford it." It's about "we want maximum amount of money from sales and then hope to increase popularity of our sub service by dumping that game into PS Plus." And I said that it is cool, because they are business. But right now they can't compete with Game Pass even with Microsoft dropping a huge ball with first-party games in 2022. So how tf they want to build a solid subscription service when Microsoft will finally get their shit together next year?

Sony thinks that they magically can do both things at once. But they can't be done. You either "sacrifice" part of sales of your first-party games to build continuous revenue stream through subscription service or you are relying on standard "we are selling our games for 80€" model that won't grow your service.
Sony keeps reminding us that they aren't interested in putting their markee AAA titles into a service day 1, they've said this at least 3 or 4 times now

That should let you know that their service isn't their primary focus nor do they want it to be

Lognor

Banned
Your anecdotal evidence is worthless.

Until they aren`t anymore, see the Netflix development, which is actual real statistical evidence.

You want to believe I am, big difference.
No, you are in the minority.

And Netflix is a horrible example for you. The company that grew their subscriber base for MORE THAN A DECADE finally saw a small decrease in total subscribers for one quarter. Netflix who lost less than a half of a percent of their total subscriber base? LOL, that's your best example?! Come on!

Here is an article detailing the growth of subscription services and how retention of these services is very high: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/01/subscription-boom-pandemic/
Here is another article about the very high retention rate for a number of services: https://dfdnews.com/2022/03/22/stre...higher-customer-retention-with-ad-free-plans/

There's my evidence, where's yours? Your anecdotal evidence about your own behavior does not count. As I said, you are in the very small minority. Your anecdotal evidence is worthless.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Exactly, you don't need to be a genius to see it. MS is doing shady things to compensate for their mistake of "Day One on Game Pass".

I don't understand why they chose to fully commit to this mandate. GP would still be a great value proposition without it. But something has to give and they are limiting the potential of their future games by committing to this.

2024. I've said it before I'll say it again. By or before 2024 at least one big first party game, which is not just MP only, will release day and date.

Nope.

So a cinephile that goes to see movies every week in a theater is not actually an enthusiasts because they don't own the films? And if they do own the them, but own them digitally they're less of an enthusiast than someone that owns the bluray? Yikes. Seriously, think about what you wrote. Bizarre take.

You really wouldn't give an incredulous look to a self proclaimed cinephile who doesn't own the movies they love?

Lognor

Banned
You really wouldn't give an incredulous look to a self proclaimed cinephile who doesn't own the movies they love?
No, I wouldn't. You would?

Do you know what a cinephile is? Here, let me google it for you: "a person who is fond of motion pictures."

You're really going to say someone that is "fond of motion pictures" has to own the movies in order for you to consider them a cinephile? Really? You too are thinking of a collector. They are not the same. There may be overlap, but they are not the same. No need for you to gatekeep.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Many people openly admit to no longer buying games after having the service though or buying less games and that's very bad for us all

No it isn’t. If devs want our money, make a game worthy of purchase. Also, many people also openly admit to buying good games they play on GamePass. I myself have bought numerous games I otherwise wouldn’t have even tried.

Hobbygaming

2024. I've said it before I'll say it again. By or before 2024 at least one big first party game, which is not just MP only, will release day and date.
I'll tell you that if this happens and that's a big if, the game will be an indie or AA not AAA

Your post personifies the issue many of us have with GP. The argument for it is always monetary. Never about what matters to us most... The games.

I have GP and the amount of fodder in that service, to me, is frightening. Especially when they XBOX execs keep referring to it as "The Future."
Why wouldn't it be a monetary argument when I'm responding to someone talking about illusionary value?

If you want to discuss the games themselves, I can do that too. I'm actually excited for more games being made with other revenue stream options outside of purely retail. The possibilities are there for much more experimental games that wouldn't normally get greenlit. Stuff like Pentiment is exciting to me, because it's just a small passion project and seems utterly devoid of any commercial sales potential. And yet here we are, about to play it from a first party studio. Looks like nothing else I've ever seen. That's the best case scenario for subs in my opinion - zero pressure on creatives like Tim Shafer or others in terms of sales, so they can literally make anything they want. Why not? And people will try it and may find out they like it where they may not buy something they are unsure about. People only buy things they are mostly sure about, leading to things only getting made that people are mostly sure about, leading to homogenization and safe bets - and this only gets exacerbated with huge budgets. To me, a sub service being successful is the last best hope for creative variety in games and the return of AA gaming.

If you find that "frightening" then I don't even know what to say dude lol. I tried hard to not just outright laugh at that level of absurd exaggeration.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
No, I wouldn't. You would?

Do you know what a cinephile is? Here, let me google it for you: "a person who is fond of motion pictures."

You're really going to say someone that is "fond of motion pictures" has to own the movies in order for you to consider them a cinephile? Really? You too are thinking of a collector. They are not the same. There may be overlap, but they are not the same. No need for you to gatekeep.

Yes, I know what a cinephile is. But you are intentionally using a very literal and naive interpretation to prove your point, which is where you're wrong. This "fondness for movies" is obviously relative to others'; I like movies but I would never consider myself a cinephile. Similarly, if you told me you love reading books but you didn't own any, I wouldn't believe you (with only exception/outlier being you don't have the means to own).

Haggard

Banned

And Netflix is a horrible example for you. The company that grew their subscriber base for MORE THAN A DECADE finally saw a small decrease in total subscribers for one quarter. Netflix who lost less than a half of a percent of their total subscriber base? LOL, that's your best example?! Come on!

Here is an article detailing the growth of subscription services and how retention of these services is very high: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/01/subscription-boom-pandemic/
Here is another article about the very high retention rate for a number of services: https://dfdnews.com/2022/03/22/stre...higher-customer-retention-with-ad-free-plans/

There's my evidence, where's yours? Your anecdotal evidence about your own behavior does not count. As I said, you are in the very small minority. Your anecdotal evidence is worthless.
Lol news articles as "evidence", and even those state only a 70% retention rate after 6 months.

EXUZYd-XgAExE8i.jpg

That´s just your opinion and/or wishful thinking.

Last edited:

johnjohn

You have to ask yourself why so many people subscribe to Game Pass and why so many people are happy with it. The argument for it is never solely monetary, you just made that up. The argument is always "value", it's the insane amount of quality GAMES they add every month at a low price. Do you think people would be evangelizing the service if it didn't regularly add games they wanted to play?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Yes, I know what a cinephile is. But you are intentionally using a very literal and naive interpretation to prove your point, which is where you're wrong. This "fondness for movies" is obviously relative to others'; I like movies but I would never consider myself a cinephile. Similarly, if you told me you love reading books but you didn't own any, I wouldn't believe you (with only exception/outlier being you don't have the means to own).
A naive intrepetation from the Merriam Webster dictionary? LOL, really? No, this is where you are wrong. Again, you are getting confused between a collector and an enthusiast. They are not the same. Definitions matter. Your biased point of view does not.

You like movies, so no, you're not a cinephile. But someone that goes to the theater every week to see a movie, maybe the same movie multiple times, is not a cinephile? Someone that spends thousands of dollars a year is not an enthusiast? Really?

You don't have to own books either. You ever hear of a library? Someone that reads hundreds of books a year all from borrowing from the library, you wouldn't believe that they love books? My goodness. You guys are twisting yourself into pretzels here all in the name of ownership. lol

ChiefDada

Gold Member
At this point, I give an incredulous look to people who own physical media. It's nonsensical and so dated.

Lol, you are describing the characteristics of those with specific philes and phobias. Their related behavior wouldn't make sense to the average person, nor would it conform with common trends.

Lognor

Banned
Lol news articles as "evidence", and even those state only a 70% retention rate after 6 months.

EXUZYd-XgAExE8i.jpg

That´s just your opinion and/or wishful thinking.
"Only 70%".

You realize 70% is a MAJORITY, not a minority. You get that right? So yes, you are in the minority. Deal with it.

And you also don't seem to realize that while they may lose 30% over 6 months, they are also gaining members over that same time frame. Your Netflix example was awful, given that it was less than a half percent decrease. I had to laugh about that.

The majority as I have evidenced, stay subscribed. You, being in the very small minority, may not. That's okay.

Haggard

Banned
"Only 70%".

You realize 70% is a MAJORITY, not a minority. You get that right? So yes, you are in the minority. Deal with it.

And you also don't seem to realize that while they may lose 30% over 6 months, they are also gaining members over that same time frame. Your Netflix example was awful, given that it was less than a half percent decrease. I had to laugh about that.

The majority as I have evidenced, stay subscribed. You, being in the very small minority, may not. That's okay.
1/3rd over 6 months is not a very small minority and now you`re also basing your predictions for GP on the historic data of Movie-Streaming subscriptions despite the possible customer pool being incomparably smaller.
I don`t know what kind of stakes you have in GP, but you`re sure making every effort to make up arguments for its continued success.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Obviously to you.
No, your hypothetical is literally retarded.

Why would they add games day 1 "once it has high enough numbers" when they were growing to high numbers without adding games day 1, and profiting off both methods.

The whole point of adding day 1 games now, like MS is doing, is to hopefully grow the numbers of the service to go from sustainable to more profitable, in theory.

So what you said, is ass backwards.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Would you be open to the idea that game pass could cheapen people's perceptions of games? Or you don't believe that's the case at all?
Personally I think full price games are way too expensive anyway, have been for a while.

If Gamepass does cheapen peoples impression of games but due to a huge subscriber base manages to still give the same returns to the developers then who is it who is set to lose out?

Microsoft, the company moving forward with the Gamepass model or Sony the company doubling down on the single high price sale model?

Lognor

Banned
1/3rd over 6 months is not a very small minority and now you`re also basing your predictions for GP on the historic data of Movie-Streaming subscriptions despite the possible customer pool being incomparably smaller.
I don`t know what kind of stakes you have in GP, but you`re sure making every effort to make up arguments for its continued success.
I can pull other subscription services if you would rather, but there are no other services like Game Pass, so if I use spotify or other services, you're going to complain that it's not comparable.

And that 30% was over 6 months. You said that you will subscribe for one month when a game comes out you're interested in and then unsubscribe after. The two are not the same. There is a very small minority that will subscribe to Netflix for a month to watch Stranger Things, but again, that's a small minority. Most folks (as evidenced by that 70% retention over 6 months) stay subscribed.

You honestly think a sizeable number of people subscribe to a service for a month at a time? I've evidenced that you're wrong, but you have come back with nothing but anecdotal personal evidence. Do you have any other kind of evidence other than your own personal habits? You don't matter in the grand scheme. You're one person. Where is the evidence that a lot of people are doing the same as you? It doesn't exist. Most stay subscribed. Enjoy remaining in the small minority.

Yeah thats true a lot of 3rd party games are hitting GamePass every month. But most of them are games are 1 year ore older. Indie games are also a big part of the games in GamePass.
So you also can buy those bigger games in the gameshops and on Consolestores at a heavy discounted price. And that is what you are saying in the first part of your last line. And yes low quality games you can buy in gamestores for a very low price.
Wo Long, Plague Tale, Outriders, Sniper Elite 5, Atomic Heart, Warhammer Darktide, and of course MLB The Show are all 3rd party day one Game pass titles and none are 'indie'. This is hardly an exhaustive list. There is no other sub service offering day one first and third party titles and to pass all the games off as 'low quality' is ludicrous.

As I've stated earlier every platform is doing something different and that's a good thing. There is no need to invent issues that don't exist. Xbox gives customers an option to either purchase new titles or subscribe and other places only let you purchase. I like options but clearly not everyone feels the same way.

Hobbygaming

No it isn’t. If devs want our money, make a game worthy of purchase. Also, many people also openly admit to buying good games they play on GamePass. I myself have bought numerous games I otherwise wouldn’t have even tried.
It's not about the game's quality, they're straight up saying they no longer buy games even the good ones. And do you remember that Gamepass poll asking people if they still buy the games?

It's not about the game's quality, they're straight up saying they no longer buy games even the good ones. And do you remember that Gamepass poll asking people if they still buy the games?
So you want people to be forced to subsidize your bloated graphical showpiece games? If they want to buy it, they buy it. End of story.

Most everyone still buys games. I have a sub and literally buy everything that I like on it once it's on sale.

Top Bottom