• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword HD: Review Thread

Tschumi

I understand what you’re saying. I still have my Wii U and original Skyward Sword and I’m just going to add it to my list of games I will pick up when my Wii U dies. As I’ve gotten older, I’m finding that I really need to stop wasting my money on games I’ve already bought.
agreed, my wii u just makes me want to buy a cheap CRT lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nintendo was wise to skip the intro..
Coming back from BOTW
Holy shit skyward sword’s intro is BAD

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo was wise to skip the intro..
Coming back from BOTW
Holy shit skyward sword’s intro is BAD
That is kinda part of every game after OOT till BOTW came out.

Just compare the time from the start of the game till the first dungeon (when it really starts) in each game and you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone catch the "we're not trying to curry favour with Nintendo at all" Nintendo Life video where they claim added camera control is " a massive new feature" and "a complete game changer"?

Many LOLz.

It is literally the most significant change in the update. There wasn't any way to even move the camera previously except Z targeting. No idea why you're implying that he's wrong.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems like motion controls are still the way to go sadly. I wish you could just press a button to slash and control camera freely
Or tap L to toggle sword or camera on right stick. The method they implemented sounds clunky. Im going to try it out but I agree about motion control still sounding like the best option

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Does The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD hold up 10 years later on Nintendo Switch? Find out in our in-depth review that covers the upgraded graphics, joy-con motion controls quality of life improvements, comparisons to the Wii version, and more! All this and more in our in-depth review of Skyward Sword HD!

0:00 Intro
1:49 Graphics - 1080p60, Textures, & a Missing Effect
3:53 Motion Controls
4:40 vs Wii Remote & Control Quirk
6:56 Button Controls
8:12 Quality of Life Improvements
8:59 Is the Game GooddAfter Breath of the Wild?
12:02 Review Score + Wrap Up

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
It is literally the most significant change in the update. There wasn't any way to even move the camera previously except Z targeting. No idea why you're implying that he's wrong.
Because it does not massively change how the game plays and it should have been included 10 years ago.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The Nintendo Life review makes me want to buy it. Does a Switch still work after being unplugged for 2 years? 🤠

Cyborg

Somehow this game originally got a 93 and only now reviewers are being honest with its faults
Come on 2011 was a different time, it was a good game back then but bringing (almost) the same game 10 years later isn't aging well. I mean look at Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 that game was truly rebuilt and an amazing experience with great reviews.

SCB3

I'm looking forward to this, the only Zelda game I've not played (and I owned the CD-i games at some point) I ended up buying the Joy Cons as well as they look pretty cool

SantaC

Come on 2011 was a different time, it was a good game back then but bringing (almost) the same game 10 years later isn't aging well. I mean look at Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 that game was truly rebuilt and an amazing experience with great reviews.
It is not like 2011 was aeons ago. SS plays worse then WW and TP did. The godawful flying and swimming. The tadstones, silent realm and the constant replaying of one specific boss.

The lenght people go to defend this game man...

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Anyone catch the "we're not trying to curry favour with Nintendo at all" Nintendo Life video where they claim added camera control is " a massive new feature" and "a complete game changer"?

Many LOLz.

Um. I mean... how is that not a massive new feature?

That is pretty major.

IGN giving this game a 10 seems like a bit much - and this is coming from someone who really loves the original. Edit: lol thought that 10 was for the new version. Point still stands, I wouldn't have given the original a 10 but I would have given it at least a 9.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
SS is a solid 88-90%, no matter what the final metascore will be.
For the sake of using a more practical and less flamey metric, if the question is “Should I play it if I never did before?”, the answer is yes. Wait for a discount if you think $60 is too much (I’d say it is for a 10yo game), but I’d definitely get it when Nintendo puts it on their usual 33%-less first-party games sale.

If anything, Wind Waker with its impossibly boring world traversal, useless islands, repetitive mechanics, obnoxious mandatory quests and nonexistent difficulty, has always been way more overrated than SS ever could be.

Roufianos

Hmm. Looks kind of shitty, not a massive Zelda fan outside of BotW so I don't think I'll be able to stomach the floaty looking combat and fetch quests.

Shut0wen

Syward sword is the one game i hate the most, but somewhere in that game is the best zelda game of all time, love he dungeons and the motion controls for the items but motion control for combat is ass and even them updating it still isnt enough

Marvel14

Banned
SS is a solid 88-90%, no matter what the final metascore will be.
For the sake of using a more practical and less flamey metric, if the question is “Should I play it if I never did before?”, the answer is yes. Wait for a discount if you think $60 is too much (I’d say it is for a 10yo game), but I’d definitely get it when Nintendo puts it on their usual 33%-less first-party games sale.

If anything, Wind Waker with its impossibly boring world traversal, useless islands, repetitive mechanics, obnoxious mandatory quests and nonexistent difficulty, has always been way more overrated than SS ever could be.
You had me until you started trashing Windwaker 😉

fart town usa

Gold Member
Skyward Sword is my favourite 3D Zelda game (there! I've said it :p) , along side Twilight Princess, but even I know that SS is far from a perfect game, maybe a 7.5 at best but I still love it
Probably the best Zelda related comment I've seen on GAF.

The Rock Clapping GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
I am surprised it's sitting at 82 tbh. Im a huge Zelda fan but I can't justify spending 60 on this game, btw didn't the wind waker remake launch at 50 or something?
Not sure what it was at launch but it's $19.99 on the Wii U eShop. Pretty insane considering it's Nintendo. TP HD is still at $60 I think.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I was super excited about this a couple of weeks ago with all of the quality of life stuff being added. Then I saw the reviews and saw this comparison video:

Now I just can’t be bothered by it. It looks better, but the idea of dropping $60 on it when I’m not truly convinced I’m going to like it after I fell off hard last time after the first or second dungeon. I was sitting on the fence, but now I will wait for a sale in a couple of years.

I dunno, the remaster looks pretty good to me.

yep.png

Fake

Skyward Sword is my favourite 3D Zelda game (there! I've said it :p) , along side Twilight Princess, but even I know that SS is far from a perfect game, maybe a 7.5 at best but I still love it

Jokes aside, there is no 'perfect game' IMO. Bloodborne is by far my GOAT and I give 8.5 for him.

This fairy tale are more click bait them reviewers.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The lenght people go to defend this game man...
Or... they just like the game?

I mean, lets be real for second. Zelda is a series that even at it's worst is still very good (I'm not talking about the CD-i games btw.)
The bar is pretty high. Even my least favorite game in the main series (Twilight Princess) is still a very good game.

Saber

Gold Member
Or... they just like the game?

Like has nothing to do with giving a valid criticism. Theres a bunch of games I like, most them I would give 8~7. Giving praise while being fair of its flaws is one thing, giving surprising high score just "because I like", its another thing entirelly.

I like TP very much and would play it above most of those overpraised Zelda games. Still would give around 7.5 for the game.

I enjoyed it because I love zelda, but lets keep it real 75-80 on metacritic is probably spot on lol. I have no problem with that score and I loved the game, but it has its issues

Hestar69

I beat it on wii and hated the motion controls, I'm looking forward to giving it a try with the weird stick-snapping controls. I have the soundtrack, the game is featured in hyrule historia, I have zelda art books with a ton of SS stuff in them and it's always been SO depressing to look at cuz honestly I really really hated swinging the sword.

The game doesn't have to control well, theres only so much I expect them to do with mapping motion controls, just has to be passable. I'll get something out of it.
Same. I own the wii version with gold remote and the games still sealed.. I just can't do motion controls unless it's wii bowling then I can bowl a 300 lol.
The Nintendo Life review makes me want to buy it. Does a Switch still work after being unplugged for 2 years? 🤠
Nope! nintnedo made sure it will stop working if you haven't turned it on in two years and bought the worthless nintendo online. Sorry throw it away and buy the new OLED model.

I love SS, but I'm not sure if I will get this. It was really made for the Wiimote.

It'd be like playing the non-DS TWEWYs or some other game intrinsically linked to hardware by design. You miss something with it. The Joycon controls look bad consider how small they are and they don't do the sword and shield larping as well as the Wiimote+nunchuck.

Tschumi

I love SS, but I'm not sure if I will get this. It was really made for the Wiimote.

It'd be like playing the non-DS TWEWYs or some other game intrinsically linked to hardware by design. You miss something with it. The Joycon controls look bad consider how small they are and they don't do the sword and shield larping as well as the Wiimote+nunchuck.
i thnk u can use a gamepad now, so it might be more like TP/TWW :) good news!...?

sinnergy

Wow, just wow. Everything above 80% is a joke.

I play it with Joy Cons but testet it with the Pro Controller… what the hell have they done?!
They improved the shit controls , that’s what they have done .

Even those shit controls from the Wii could be learned and adjusted to .. which users did .. if you try long and hard .. still makes them shit controls 💩

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD reviewed by Travis Northup on Nintendo Switch.

This HD remaster is a fantastic Zelda adventure that's aged like wine, even if Wii-era motion controls still aren't great and its new joystick controls don't do much to help.

Last edited:

Neff

HD version is a huge improvement in every way but I think the Wiimote Plus controls were slightly more accurate.

Top Bottom