• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snapchat’s Offensive ‘Bob Marley’ Filter Gives You Instant Blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I tried it, it instead gave me a white face, I think this means James Franco will play Bob Marley in a bio-pic

I don't fucking use snap chat, if I wanted something to disappear I'd post non-racist stuff in racist threads

5ec0c2f7731cba090efbdff32d69e926.jpg

!!!

Wasn't Bob Marley black? Am I missing something?

He is, but some of the people using this are not, and there is a really ugly history in this country with people who are not black making themselves appear to be black. That's not to say that snapchat is racist, or that the people using this are, but from an image standpoint it probably wasn't the brightest idea to do this. They could have just had the hat/dreads and gotten the same effect. Not sure what darkening the skin does exactly.

He is, but some of the people using this are not, and there is a really ugly history in this country with people who are not black making themselves appear to be black. That's not to say that snapchat is racist, or that the people using this are, but from an image standpoint it probably wasn't the brightest idea to do this. They could have just had the hat/dreads and gotten the same effect. Not sure what darkening the skin does exactly.

rachel-dolezal-2.jpg

Kinyou

Aren't they putting his actual face on people? That's not really darkening the skin and more like a mask.

Gizmodo mad, no?

From reading the actual piece it doesn't sound that like they are mad as much as they think the idea of celebrating "4/20" by giving yourself a Bob Marley face is stupid all around. It's tacky at best, and leaves the door open for the "blackface" conversation, which also makes it a poor decision from a business/marketing standpoint.

Ricky_R

If the purpose is to actually make you look like Marley, then I don't see the issue to be honest. It definitely wasn't the brightest idea, I agree, but it wasn't the worst either.

I don't think it deserves any controversy.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
From reading the actual piece it doesn't sound that like they are mad as much as they think the idea of celebrating "4/20" by giving yourself a Bob Marley face is stupid all around.

Most of the snapchat face altering filters are stupid, so this fits right in. I haven't really seen anyone too upset about it at all, as it fits right in with the rest of snapchat. I am not going to blame any media outlet for reporting it. Controversy has always sold.

I am more upset that Bob Marley's estate seems to co-sign on any and everything that is going to give them money.

jonezer4

It's not "black face" it's "a face" of a man that happened to be black.

I'm sure if Snapchat had a ton of filters of famous people, but in a quest for PC-ness made sure they were all white, that could/would be construed as racist too.

collige

Banned
This isn't offensive, it's just stupid.

Also, Marley was just a white as he was black which makes any "controversy" even more stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom