• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snapchat’s Offensive ‘Bob Marley’ Filter Gives You Instant Blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.
2dTRB21.jpg

This is phenomenal

Leo coming for that 2nd Oscar

It's just a filter that puts Bob Marley's facial characteristics on your face. Bob Marley was black. It's not exaggerating black features for the sake of making fun of them. I suppose I should be careful on this forum saying this because the last time I said my opinion on something like this I got banned just for that.

Izuna

Banned
I'm offended that it isn't called "mixed-raced face". If everyone wants to rock my skin colour and look like a legend it doesn't offend me. Perhaps I'm really out of the loop on this one but... this is far more "homage" then "taking the mickey".

But yeah, this is the 1 drop rule being in effect.

So no black people are allowed to be used as face filters on snapchat because possible blackface? This is nothing to be offended about.

Izuna

Banned
You guys have a lot of trouble just ignoring stories you don't think matter. There are billions of articles on the internet daily. It's not hard to ignore and move on.

Okay, I know you meant billions as a hyperbole, but that's how many outlets are running this story. It's invading my facebook right now. Granted, my circle isn't America so it's Nigerians or otherwise Black British seeing nothing wrong with anything (cultural appropriation is a US thing for example), but I'm hearing about this quite a bit right now.

I came here for these really, really dumb arguments and escalations.

We appreciate you telling us what to think.

So you deliberately wanted to see something you disagree with and call it dumb?

Visceir

From reading the actual piece it doesn't sound that like they are mad as much as they think the idea of celebrating "4/20" by giving yourself a Bob Marley face is stupid all around. It's tacky at best, and leaves the door open for the "blackface" conversation, which also makes it a poor decision from a business/marketing standpoint.

420 is a celebration and a positive thing though and Bob Marley was a big proponent of cannabis culture.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's kind of missing the key part of blackface isn't it?

What if this was just called a tan filter? What's next? ILL NEVER LET THEM TAKE THE BURN TOOL IN PHOTOSHOP FROM ME

It's not really 'blackface' is it. It's 'Bob Marley face.' I get it, some may find it offensive because of blackface. But to suggest that this is blackface is an exaggeration, in my view.

I was expecting actual blackface. Its more of an overlay of his face. Which is sorta dumb imo since we could just actually look at him but w/e. This isnt offensive imo.

Not blackface and we would all be lucky if we could be like Bob Marley.

I personally wouldn't use it but if I was super high I might think differently.

The only thing a lot of stoners know about Jamaica is weed, dreadlocks, and Bob Marley. It angers me profusely that they have reduced Bob Marley to this weed icon. For me it's like turning 2Pac into nothing but a Hennessey icon. I find it no different than how many treat Asian cultures and it bothers me in how two dimensional it is. It's one of the prime reasons I grimace when I see a white person with dreadlocks. More than likely, you have no culture tie to black people or Jamaica, and a lot of people wear them because lol 4/20 or weed culture, and I don't appreciate culture becoming reductionist and to consumed like it's some fad. It is superficial and shallow.

That filter doesn't offend me in that it's black face, because to me it really isn't. But it does bother me that in popular culture they find it suitable to make a man's legacy into weed worship.

I love weed, but the culture behind it is some of the lowest of the low and this filter isn't exactly doing much to convince me otherwise.

The only thing a lot of stoners know about Jamaica is weed, dreadlocks, and Bob Marley. It angers me profusely that they have reduced Bob Marley to this weed icon. For me it's like turning 2Pac into nothing but a Hennessey icon. I find it no different than how many treat Asian cultures and it bothers me in how two dimensional it is. It's one of the prime reasons I grimace when I see a white person with dreadlocks. More than likely, you have no culture tie to black people or Jamaica, and a lot of people wear them because lol 4/20 or weed culture, and I don't appreciate culture becoming reductionist and to consumed like it's some fad. It is superficial and shallow.

That filter doesn't offend me in that it's black face, because to me it really isn't. But it does bother me that in popular culture they find it suitable to make a man's legacy into weed worship.

I love weed, but the culture behind it is some of the lowest of the low and this filter isn't exactly doing much to convince me otherwise.

If if wasn't for Hennessey 2pac would not have had enemies, and 2pac without enemies is not 2pac.

do dreadlocks only have a tie to black people or Jamaica tho

Raist

Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cannabis sort of sacred for Rastafaris?
Granted, I guess most people have detached that from the religious aspect most likely, but still.

Granted, I guess most people have detached that from the religious aspect most likely, but still.
Rastafarians use it for meditation but to say it is the center of their religion is just a misrepresentation. It's relatively similar to Judaism/Christianity in many aspects.

It's one of the prime reasons I grimace when I see a white person with dreadlocks. More than likely, you have no culture tie to black people or Jamaica, and a lot of people wear them because lol 4/20 or weed culture, and I don't appreciate culture becoming reductionist and to consumed like it's some fad. It is superficial and shallow.

ehh dreadlocks have been around for millenia and appeared independently in many different cultures. if you want to bash on someone for aping Jamaican culture then that's one thing, but the hairstyle isn't an issue in and of itself. I'm pretty sure east/south asian people with locks aren't doing it for "420 bro."

Nudull

Banned

Is it still right to reduce a man's legacy on just one aspect of his religion that happens to involve drugs?

Raist

Banned
Is it still right to reduce a man's legacy on just one aspect of his religion that happens to involve drugs?

Why not?

Besides, that doesn't prevent people from agreeing with Marley's messages, regardless of any religious background.

Rastafarians use it for meditation but to say it is the center of their religion is just a misrepresentation. It's relatively similar to Judaism/Christianity in many aspects.

I never aid it's "center" to it. And I'm pretty sure it's a lot closer to Judaism than "traditional" christianity.

ehh dreadlocks have been around for millenia and appeared independently in many different cultures. if you want to bash on someone for aping Jamaican culture then that's one thing, but the hairstyle isn't an issue in and of itself. I'm pretty sure east/south asian people with locks aren't doing it for "420 bro."

I never mentioned Asians. They likely do it for religious reasons. Also, the claim that dreadlocks have existed for a millenia depends. People cite Viking or Celtic cultures, but there's no evidence of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom