• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snapchat’s Offensive ‘Bob Marley’ Filter Gives You Instant Blackface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Why not?

Besides, that doesn't prevent people from agreeing with Marley's messages, regardless of any religious background.

But when those messages are completely overtaken by weed jokes, dreadlocks and nostalgia over reality cop shows and Michael Bay movies...?

Yeah, this is not blackface. Blackface is caking on paint and exaggerating skin tones / features / behaviors. This is totally fine imo. If you can't see the diff between this and the idiot in South Carolina (or wherever) who paints herself with black face paint and puts on a fake gold chain and posts it all over the internet then idk. There is a stark difference. These face swaps don't affect any one race more than another; I had one that gave me a DiCaprio face, that's what they do... doesn't mean it was saying "oh look now you can be white!" No... it's saying you can have this celebrity's face as a mask.

Edit: This is way more akin to buying a prefab mask from a party store for Halloween. If you wear an Obama mask or a Mr T Mask, does that count as blackface by itself? Of course not.

Halloween costumes are not exactly a good example of "safe" (lol) uses of appropriating other races/cultures...

qcf x2

Yeah, this is not blackface. Blackface is caking on paint and exaggerating skin tones / features / behaviors. This is totally fine imo. If you can't see the diff between this and the idiot in South Carolina (or wherever) who paints herself with black face paint and puts on a fake gold chain and posts it all over the internet then idk. There is a stark difference. These face swaps don't affect any one race more than another; I had one that gave me a DiCaprio face, that's what they do... doesn't mean it was saying "oh look now you can be white!" No... it's saying you can have this celebrity's face as a mask.

Edit: This is way more akin to buying a prefab mask from a party store for Halloween. If you wear an Obama mask or a Mr T Mask, does that count as blackface by itself? Of course not.

I never mentioned Asians. They likely do it for religious reasons. Also, the claim that dreadlocks have existed for a millenia depends. People cite Viking or Celtic cultures, but there's no evidence of it.

as someone who has spent a lot of time in his life in punk circles, I've known plenty of people who wear dreads with no connection to african or jamaican culture. I mean, it's usually a byproduct of poor hygeine and/or unwillingness to participate in a culture of cosmetics (not believing in animal testing or whatever), but not any kind of cultural appropriation.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of twats worth your ire out there but getting mad at every white person with a specific hairstyle seems like you're bringing more unhappiness on yourself than is really necessary.

Not offensive at all. But hey, outrage!

image.php

The only thing a lot of stoners know about Jamaica is weed, dreadlocks, and Bob Marley. It angers me profusely that they have reduced Bob Marley to this weed icon. For me it's like turning 2Pac into nothing but a Hennessey icon. I find it no different than how many treat Asian cultures and it bothers me in how two dimensional it is. It's one of the prime reasons I grimace when I see a white person with dreadlocks. More than likely, you have no culture tie to black people or Jamaica, and a lot of people wear them because lol 4/20 or weed culture, and I don't appreciate culture becoming reductionist and to consumed like it's some fad. It is superficial and shallow.

That filter doesn't offend me in that it's black face, because to me it really isn't. But it does bother me that in popular culture they find it suitable to make a man's legacy into weed worship.

I love weed, but the culture behind it is some of the lowest of the low and this filter isn't exactly doing much to convince me otherwise.

I feel the same way about white people and top knots. Only Asians and samurais should be able to wear that hairstyle.

AlexBasch

Would it be offensive if it had just the hat and the rastafarian (I think that's the name) hair? Honest question, I'm not even talking about the weed.

If two black people disagree about what is offensive to black people, what happens? Thunderdome?
Sounds better than the "white guy determines what is offensive and whatnot for other minorities" stuff that I have seen sometimes. :/

as someone who has spent a lot of time in his life in punk circles, I've known plenty of people who wear dreads with no connection to african or jamaican culture. I mean, it's usually a byproduct of poor hygeine and/or unwillingness to participate in a culture of cosmetics (not believing in animal testing or whatever), but not any kind of cultural appropriation.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of twats worth your ire out there but getting mad at every white person with a specific hairstyle seems like you're bringing more unhappiness on yourself than is really necessary.

That's fair.

So you deliberately wanted to see something you disagree with and call it dumb?

that's basically all he does dude

Sub-zero at a starbucks is in for support as always

but this time, shao kahn on the lawn is restoring the humor you'd think would come with a goofy mortal kombat name

tfur

The only thing a lot of stoners know about Jamaica is weed, dreadlocks, and Bob Marley. It angers me profusely that they have reduced Bob Marley to this weed icon. For me it's like turning 2Pac into nothing but a Hennessey icon. I find it no different than how many treat Asian cultures and it bothers me in how two dimensional it is. It's one of the prime reasons I grimace when I see a white person with dreadlocks. More than likely, you have no culture tie to black people or Jamaica, and a lot of people wear them because lol 4/20 or weed culture, and I don't appreciate culture becoming reductionist and to consumed like it's some fad. It is superficial and shallow.

That filter doesn't offend me in that it's black face, because to me it really isn't. But it does bother me that in popular culture they find it suitable to make a man's legacy into weed worship.

I love weed, but the culture behind it is some of the lowest of the low and this filter isn't exactly doing much to convince me otherwise.

Perhaps you need to spend some time in a history class and consult a cultural anthropologist for your misguided concerns.

Dredlocks did not originate from Jamaica. Further, being black does not make you a Jamaican.

I am sorry you are concerned about "white people" wearing dreadlocks, but it will continue with or without your approval. No culture owns dreadlocks.

I find it more groan-worthy that it's being released on 4/20. I'm not an especially big fan of his music, but it's gotta be annoying to fans and loved ones to have this dude mostly known in pop culture spheres for smoking weed.

I guess you could call this literal blackface, but I'm more amused by how grotesque the technology plays with conforming a person's face to "Bob Marley"-ish, more than I am offended by the fact that it could be considered some form of blackface.

Perhaps you need to spend some time in a history class and consult a cultural anthropologist for your misguided concerns.

Dredlocks did not originate from Jamaica. Further, being black does not make you a Jamaican.

I am sorry you are concerned about "white people" wearing dreadlocks, but it will continue with or without your approval. No culture owns dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks didn't originate from Jamaica, but most American's tie it to and are introduced to it via Jamaica.

Being black does not make you a Jamaican, but most Jamaican's are black.

I've read history books and have a pretty decent knowledge in culture anthropology. None of this pertains to weed culture and its weird Bob Marley fixation though. BTW, weed culture transcends racial lines. I feel the same way about 420 black people who were all about Bob Marley that I met in college.

Reducing Jamaica's culture to nothing but weed, dreadlocks, and Bob Marley is my issue, and white people are far from the only guilty party that does this. Rather than take a small sampling of my post, perhaps you should consider all of its content if you're going to be smarmy with me.

norm9

Whoever came up with this should be ashamed of themselves. Bob Marley wasn't about dreadlocks and having a face.

Enzom21

It's always fun when white people explain to black people why something isn't offensive.

If by fun you mean infuriating, then yeah... fun.
White people on this board love to tell us negroes what we should or shouldn't find offensive.

What if you're already brown? Is it still blackface, PC-gaf?

Who is PC-gaf?
When black people did minstrel shows and wore blackface was it still blackface?
They were black already right so it couldn't have been... right?
If two black people disagree about what is offensive to black people, what happens? Thunderdome?

Then we discuss it but people like yourself certainly have no say in what black people find offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom