• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who here has owned a PowerVR series card? (...and other old 3D nonsense)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This particular "brand" of 3D has seen its fair share of mention over the past few days, and reminded me of the days when I owned two of these days.

Which video cards have you owned at one time or another? What did you think of them?

Whether a result of the money spent or simply my interest in performance improvements, I can recall fairly clearly the performance of each card that I have owned.

I actually started out with a Matrox Mystique 2mb. It was an OEM card included with the first PC that "I" actually purchased (and, technically, the last...as I built the rest). Absolutely lacking in performance and features to the point where I'd hardly classify it was a 3D card. Well, I could play Mech 2 Mercs in D3D (with no filtering, though) and it looked rather nice. 2mb wasn't enough for most games, though. Tomb Raider 2, for instance, would constantly drop out textures and display white polygons instead (depending on the resolution). At 512x384, the textures remained...by anything higher was a mess.

I'd consider the PowerVR PCX2 to be my first real 3D card, though. It was a Matrox M3D, actually.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/m3d/home.cfm
m3D2.jpg

m3dpic.jpg

I was sold on the card at a local tradeshow when I witnessed Ultim@te Race running. 640x480, 30 fps, and some impressive lighting and shadows. The card served me well, but simply had too many problems in the end.

ultimate.jpg

D3D support was awful. Games in D3D would often run slowly and exhibited a multitude of rendering flaws. Texture shaking was also rather common on both the PCX2 and Neon 250 when running D3D apps. It would appear as if some of the textures weren't quite attached to anything and would float/pulsate just a tad as you moved over them.

Here a game I enjoyed on the PC (not N64) and an example of D3D flaws...

Turok on Voodoo

turok-voodoo.jpg

Turok on PCX2 (though my framerates were higher)

turok-powervr.jpg

See that nasty pixelation of the water fall texture was SOOO common in D3D. In fact, this is something occured on the Neon 250 as well. I saw this in a number of Dreamcast games as well. Never did understand why that occured. Also note the alpha texture problems with the sky (looked very bad when moving above the clouds) as well as the missing geometry (mountain cuts off where clouds begin)? Very common problems with D3D games.

OGL support LOOKED incredible (the image quality was really nice), but the actual performance was very slow in most OGL games. Quake 2 often dropped into the teens. The PCX2 taught me how to mouse look, though. I kid you not, but I started using the mouse as a method of looking towards the ground and making smaller movements in order to counter the bad framerate. Looking towards the ground somewhat while walking prevented the game from slowly to a crawl at certain scenes. So, thanks to PowerVR, I discovered mouse look. :p

To be fair, it turns out that I was short changing the PCX2 by using a K6. Everyone seemed to love the K6, but it had such a slow FPU. Voodoo on a K6? No problem. PVR, though, really ran into issues when games became FPU heavy. A friend of mine had a P200mmx, which handled games like Quake 2 a bit better (though still not that well).

PowerSGL games were excellent looking, though. Well, most of them. Unreal supported SGL, but it did not support all of the features properly on the PCX2 and the SGL version ended up looking vastly inferior to the Glide version.

After dealing with these issues, I decided to jump over to the Glide side of things and bought a Voodoo 1 (Diamond Monster 3D).

Diamond_Monster_3D.jpg

Disappointingly, my first Voodoo overheated and died after just 3 days. ONE MONTH LATER when it returned, though, I was back in action. The Voodoo absolutely DESTROYED the PCX2 in terms of performance. The actual image quality wasn't as good (strange band dithering in areas with lots of alpha), but the card was just superior in every other way.

3dfx_Voodoo2_1000.jpg

Eventually, I moved onto a Voodoo 2 (12mb) and, from there, dual V2s. When I made the jump to the V2, I also moved up to a P2-450 and an Intel 740 card (dirt cheap). Not impressive in the least. The V2 was a decent step up and would remain in my PC for years to come. I can't actually recall which 3rd party company distributed my particular brand of V2, but that hardly matters.

From there, the next stop was a TNT1.

v550.jpg

Awful dithering in 16-bit color aside, the card was very decent. I never found that it could stand up to a V2, though, as its AGP nature seemed to really want more memory and games using this card would constantly page the HDD.

Between the TNT and 250, I used a Voodoo 3 for about 6 months. It was not mine, however. I simply borrowed it. The card was actually very very good. Great performance, incredible 16-bit image quality (nearly on par with the N250), and lots of support.

After the TNT, my next card would be the Neon 250.

hp4800_neonfront.jpg

I was totally crazy about the DC, so I had to have the hardware that was in the DC in my PC. I used it along with my Voodoo 2 cards.

Many problems were resolved with this card (Unreal now worked properly), but it still did not care for D3D and generally stuck to the V2s (despite inferior image quality). I really ended up switching back and forth between them depending on the game. The most disappointing aspect of this card was its poor anti-aliasing performance. That was such a touted feature prior to release, but it was not usable in most games. It was, however, my first time actually seeing such a feature in action and, to be fair, the 9700 Pro was the very first card I owned where AA became a useful feature.

I kept this in the P2-450, though, and when I moved to a P3-733, I simply bought a GeForce DDR.

It becomes less interesting from here, as I went from GF1 to GF2 to Radeon 8500 to Radeon 9700 Pro to nVidia 6800 series. I also had experience with the final Voodoo cards.

Well, gee, that was a somewhat pointless post. Still, let's hear some other "old videocard" tales.

SantaC

to make a long story quick:

My first 2D graphics card was a Cirrus Logic 5424 with 512KB of Ram. I later upgraded to CL 5440 with 1 meg of ram. Then I went with Banshee card with 2D and 3D, and added a Diamond Voodoo 1 4MB 3D card. I really liked glide and 3Dfx so I upgraded to Diamond Voodoo 2 12 MB. My next jump was to Maxi Gamer Xentor TNT2 Ultra and my first Nivida card. I liked that card so much I skipped Geforce 1 and went to Geforce 2. I then got Geforce 3, Geforce 4 Ti4600 and to my current card, Gerfoce 6800 256MB GT.

blackadde

Creative Labs voodoo2 (8mb) after seeing Quake2 running on a Voodoo1 at a local computer store.
STB Velocity 44000 TNT (16mb), OEM, came with my old Dell P2-450. Was bleeding-edge at the time.
Matrox G400 (32mb), which never EVER fucking worked with 3D apps. Something was terribly wrong with it but their RMA process was shit so I was basically screwed.
[don't remember the brand] Geforce2 GTS (32mb), which I used to play classics such as TFC and Quake 3.
MSI Geforce4 4400 (128mb) with my 2nd-to-last hardware upgrade.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128mb), which is what I'm running on right now. Can't complain.

Diamond Voodoo 3D 4MB
Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra 32MB
Diamond Multimedia Savage 2000 32MB (what was I thinking?)
3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 64MB (again, madness)
Creative Labs GeForce 2 Annihilator 64MB
nVidia GeForce 4 4400 128MB (second best card I've owned)
ATi Radeon 9800 256MB (best card I've owned)
nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (current)

SantaC

Drinky Crow said:
Diamond Voodoo 3D 4MB
Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Diamond Multimedia Savage 2000 32MB (what was I thinking?)
3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 64MB (again, madness)
Creative Labs GeForce 2 Annihilator 64MB
nVidia GeForce 4 4400 128MB (second best card I've owned)
ATi Radeon 9800 256MB (best card I've owned)
nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (current)

Thankfully, I avoided the Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 5 disasters.

dark10x

The Voodoo 3 was no disaster. While everyone claimed otherwise, I much preferred it to a TNT...

32-bit image quality was worthless to me, as the performance hit was too great, and the TNT did a terrible job with 16-bit color. The V3's 16-bit output was suprisingly near the 32-bit output of the TNT in most cases too...

Xenon

The Voodoo 3 was no disaster. While everyone claimed otherwise, I much preferred it to a TNT...

yeahp. That card held me over until the geforce 3. I got the most use out of it compared to any card I've bought since.

gigapower

I too had the Matrox M3D, I think I paid $50 for it. Played the crap out of Ultimate Race on it. From there I went to a Voodoo Banshee, worst card ever. After that went to a TNT1, then a TNT2 Ultra, then a G400 MAX, then a Radeon, then a GeForce 2 GTS, from there GeForce 3, then Radeon 9500 Pro, after that Radeon 9800 Pro, then a GeForce 6800 Ultra, and now I'm finally getting ready to buy a 7800GTX.

Pimpbaa

3d cards I've owned:
Voodoo 2
TNT
Geforce 1
Geforce 3
Radeon 9800 pro
Geforce 6600GT (PCI Express)

And yes the voodoo 3 was a disaster. If they released it at the time of that aweful voodoo banshee, then it would have kicked ass. But everything after the voodoo 2 was too little too late (always a generation behind).

Pimpbaa

Society said:
If it is the best card you owned, why get something else?

Probably meant best for it's time. The 6800 bitch slaps it all over the place. My 9800 pro was one of my best vid cards too (because it was such a massive leap over my last card plus AA was actually usable), even tho I have a 6600gt now.

Borys

Banned
1. ATI Xpert@Play 4MB + Elephant VooDoo 1 2MB

My first PC BTW.
That VooDoo card smoked that ATI crap, it was really 10 times faster BUT my Xpert could run Homeworld 1 in 32-bit color mode! 32-bit glory! Framerate was seriously shit 4-5 FPS IIRC vs 30 FPS in 16-bit on VooDoo.

2. Elsa Erazor X - GeForce 1 SDR

Went from 300 to 3500 points in 3DMark2000! Talk about a jump! Costed a fortune though :(

3. Creative Annihilator Pro - GeForce 1 DDR

Picked it up real cheap, offered a much better performance in 32-bit mode than GF1 SDR.

4. Gainward GeForce 2 Pro

Whoa, what a beast! Quake 2 run flawlessly, Quake 3 also.

5. Asus GeForce 4 Ti4200

My best video card ever. I missed the whole GF3 era with pixel shaders stuff so imagine the shock of going from GF2 to GF4!

6. Winfast GeForce 5900 XT

Umm... a big mistake on my part. Still a good card but not for the money I paid for it :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pretty classic evolution for me I guess
Voodoo 1 (Tomb Raider blew my mind !)
Voodoo 2
TnT
Geforce
Geforce 2 (at about the time I more or less stopped playing on PC)
Geforce 4 ti 4200
Geforce 6600 (since one week, for HDTV video acceleration)

callous

I was going to get a PowerVR for Rage Racer as my first 3D card, but Rage Racer got canned so I ended up with a Voodoo 2 instead.

Jacobi

Banned
Borys said:
4. Gainward GeForce 2 Pro

Whoa, what a beast! Quake 2 run flawlessly, Quake 3 also.
Beast ? My Radeon VE (Radeon 7000) runs Quake 3 in high resolutions flawlessly too...And I think it was a half/third of the price of the Geforce 2 Pro

Kon Tiki

Banned
Borys said:
SNES is the best console ever made, why get a Playstation or PS2?

See?
Why are you asking me? I can not think of one good reason to get them either.

I play more 8/16 bit games this gen than current gen games.

Argyle

STB Riva 4MB card - liked it, but the per polygon mipmapping sucked! Lots of stuff either only uses GLIDE or runs better in GLIDE so...

Used Voodoo 1 4MB card

Asus TNT 16MB - a nice jump up but we're still in the 3dfx era...

Refurb Voodoo2 12MB card (I got this after V3 was out I think - cost me around $50 I think)

32MB GeForce 2MX (I had this for a LONG time. I didn't play many PC games, and this one ran the ones I did OK...)

128MB ATI 9800pro All In Wonder

Somewhere in time (other computers):

ATI Rage Mobile (!) 8MB (I went to the computer show and asked for the cheapest video card they had. Yes, this thing sucked.)
16MB Nvidia PCI card (forgot the name of the chip - the stripped down version of the TNT...I used this for dual monitor support when using a single-head AGP card)
256MB ATI 9600XT (for the other computer)
???MB Arcade VGA (Radeon 9250 based, never looked to see how much RAM it has cause I'm using it on my arcade cabinet)

dark10x

STB Riva 4MB card - liked it, but the per polygon mipmapping sucked!

I remember that thing...

Was it called the "Riva" though? I coulda sworn it was the Velocity or some other name.

I remember when Mechwarrior 2 was THE pack in game. They made a version of Mech 2 for every 3D card under the sun.

Argyle

dark10x said:
I remember that thing...

Was it called the "Riva" though? I coulda sworn it was the Velocity or some other name.

I remember when Mechwarrior 2 was THE pack in game. They made a version of Mech 2 for every 3D card under the sun.

Yeah, Velocity was the brand name, Riva was the chipset.

This was a big comeback for Nvidia because their previous 3D chip was the one that processed quads like the Saturn and had Saturn controller ports on the back (as well as ports of Panzer Dragoon and VF, if I remember correctly)...

It was a complete failure, as you can imagine. Processing quads instead of triangles just wasn't a good idea...

dark10x

Argyle said:
Yeah, Velocity was the brand name, Riva was the chipset.

This was a big comeback for Nvidia because their previous 3D chip was the one that processed quads like the Saturn and had Saturn controller ports on the back (as well as ports of Panzer Dragoon and VF, if I remember correctly)...

It was a complete failure, as you can imagine. Processing quads instead of triangles just wasn't a good idea...

Ohhhhh, I was thinking of an earlier STB card. That was the Riva 128, wasn't it? Bleh, troublesome chipset.

The Riva TNT was a massive improvement.

If it is the best card you owned, why get something else?

Because the 6800 GT is a performance leap.

The 9800 Pro is the best card I've owned because it ran quietly and reliably, provided the best performance leap *at the time*, and in general met all my needs at a superior level. In fact, I could probably be using it now quite happily, but since I had the money, I decided to bump up in speed a bit. The 6800 GT is faster, but it's not the performance leap I expected, and it runs hot as hell.

The Voodoo 3 was a great, great card -- ran everything at blazing frame rates, which is what I prefer. A little dithering doesn't bother me if the frame rates stay high.

Pimpbaa

Drinky Crow said:
The 9800 Pro is the best card I've owned because it ran quietly and reliably, provided the best performance leap *at the time*, and in general met all my needs at a superior level. In fact, I could probably be using it now quite happily, but since I had the money, I decided to bump up in speed a bit. The 6800 GT is faster, but it's not the performance leap I expected, and it runs hot as hell.

Those 9800 pro's ran pretty freakin hot too. Mainly due to the crappy heatsink and fan (the xt's had a much better cooling solution).

My first 3d card was a Rendion V1000 based card called the Intergraph Reactor. After that it went:

Diamond Monster Voodoo I
Creative Labs Voodoo 2
Creative Labs TNT2
Geforce 1 sdr
Voodoo 3 5500
ATI Radeon All in Wonder
Geforce 4 4600
and my current card: ATI Radeon X800 pro

dark10x

Ohhh yeah, the V1000. Wasn't Verite Quake the first "enhanced" version of Quake released? The particular chip was even pushed by Sierra (Screamin' 3D or something)...

Starfire

my first was an early Matrox card (can't specifically remember the model#, hideous performance, pretty decent 2d performance back then, first card I owned that supported a resolution higher than 1024x768)
Millenium II (got it for free)
ATI 3d Rage
TNT 2 (64mb came stock w/my P4 1.3ghz, however, by 2001, it was a bit outdated, but still performed well for most games, Max Payne on medium detail got around 25-30 fps.)
9800XT (current, and by far, best card I've ever owned, the TNT being 2nd best)

I'm a bit of a latecomer to the 3d card market, seeing how during the mid-90s most of my gaming was done on consoles, I wanted a Voodoo/Voodoo 2, but could never afford one at 15 or so. I was a huge PC gamer when the games were less GPU intensive, but skipped most of the 90s and finally upgraded for Doom3 and Half-Life 2 (wich I got free with Valve's back-catalogue through the 9800 promotion deal).

Talk about late to the party, but now I'm playing several great classics that I missed in glorious 60+fps, so no real complaints.

Pimpbaa

Agent Icebeezy said:
Voodoo 2 - 16MB
ATI AiW 9700 Pro - 128MB
ATI X800 - 256MB

All, my cards

Damn, that was one hell of a jump. Were you still using the voodoo2 all the time?

Yes, yes it was. I remember reading in the Sierra Magazine an article by Ken Williams why Sierra was making a card. I feel in love with the card. Then I went and bought another makers' V1000 because it was $30 cheaper and came with Vquake and some indy racing game. Man for about 6 months, I had the sweetest rig out there. Then GLquake came out and the party was over. There where still some games that ran and looked better on the V1000. Activision's battlezone looked like crap on my Diamond Monster but was very nice on my Rendition v1000.

dark10x

Activision's battlezone looked like crap on my Diamond Monster but was very nice on my Rendition v1000.

Battlezone was nice on the v1000?! I always thought it looked just fine on the Voodoo, but was a mess on the PowerVR (slower framerate, blotchy looking textures and effects, and some missing effects).

What did the v1000 bring to the table for BZ?

Oh, and Battlezone WAS extremely awesome. It and Uprising almost gave birth to the "straction" genre, but nobody else really continued in that direction. In both cases, the sequels were nowhere near as good as the originals...

border

PowerVR has never made a decent PC card. I always thought it was funny how reviews would take 10 pages to explain how their rendering tech works only to conclude that it was all fucked up.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Voodoo3's color quality came from a 16-bit framebuffer but was post filtered to 22-bit.

border said:
PowerVR has never made a decent PC card. I always thought it was funny how reviews would take 10 pages to explain how their rendering tech works only to conclude that it was all fucked up.
quoted to irritate fuckers

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The conclusion wasn't that PowerVR's rendering approach was faulty, but that its implementation for compatibility with APIs which were designed around more conventional approaches gave its PC cards significantly more problems than others (an issue that PowerVR improved more and more with each release). Such a high degree of contending standards is a matter of politics -- not technology -- and is unique to the PC space; PowerVR fairs much better in embedded markets as expected.

I have owned:

Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1
Skywell 12MB Magic3D-2 Voodoo 2, SLI (as in x2 cards... 1024 for Unreal... AWESOME)
Diamond Riva TNT
Skywell Magic TwinPower 16MB Voodoo Banshee
3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Asus TNT2
Asus GeForce
Asus GeForce 256 DDR
3dfx Voodoo 5500
Asus GeForce 2
Asus GeForce 3
ATI Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (currently using)

All in the same computer. I used to sell my card evey 6 months and buy the newest thing. Except the TNT, that thing had A LOT if problems with Half-Life, so I traded it for a Voodoo Banshee pretty fast. The Banshee took a lot of flak, but it served me well. Never had any problems with it.

Your probably wonder where my PVR card is in all of this. I owned one. I played wipeout on it. It was ok, but it was quickly eclipsed. I did like thier tech though, If it makes you feel any better, I bought a Dreamcast due in no small part to thier PowerVR tech.

dark10x

border said:
So do we take this non-answer to mean "I have never owned a PVR card"?

Yep, that sounds about right.

PowerVR fairs much better in embedded markets as expected.

...as House of the Dead 4 proves.

Voodoo3's color quality came from a 16-bit framebuffer but was post filtered to 22-bit.

I thought it was 24-bit? Regardless, it doesn't matter. The results it produced were extremely good. I never said its image quality beat out the Neon 250 either, so don't get all hot and bothered. You've never even OWNED any of the cards we're talking about. :lol

You're like Jeff the "..." ahn...

He tries to play himself off as the ultimate Sega fan, yet he never even OWNED a DC or purchased any of their games (on DC and beyond). What kind of support is that?

I played wipeout on it.

Ya know, Wipeout XL on the PC never ran correctly for me in 3D mode. It would always flucuate between framerates, but would not retain the same play speed. At 60 fps, the game runs at double the speed. Very annoying...

Pimpbaa

Oracle Dragon said:
All in the same computer. I used to sell my card evey 6 months and buy the newest thing. Except the TNT, that thing had A LOT if problems with Half-Life, so I traded it for a Voodoo Banshee pretty fast. The Banshee took a lot of flak, but it served me well. Never had any problems with it.

The TNT never had no problems with Half-Life. I played it thoroughly on my TNT back in the day. Must have been a problem with your system.

teepo

S3 Virge
Diamond Voodoo 3D 4MB
Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
S3 Savage 4 32MB - worst
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64mb
ATI Radeon 9800 128mb - best

i did own a banshee and a riva tnt at one point but i don't know in which order.

call me crazy but the voodoo3 looked better then the tnt2 in every game besides quake3. and hell, it ran a tad bit faster too.

dark10x

Ah, S3 Virge...the 3D DEcelerator. I actually ran across some strange version of the Virge a couple years ago. It was an AGP version and was a member of a strange series...

SKluck

Banned
I started with the S3 Virge as well :lol 4mb of thunder.

I got a PowerVR after that. 8mb, no clue who made the card or what iteration. Then a 16mb Voodoo Banshee, 32mb Geforce 2 MX, and the 128mb 9800 pro I have today.

It's weird how my video card purchasing habits are like my console buying habits. Never bought 2 different videocards/consoles from the same company. Actually, now that I think about it, I had a Geforce 2 Ti 64mb after the banshee. It was OEM and died on me after a couple months though. So I went back to the Banshee.

I was always scared of the Voodoo2 cards because I thought they were 3d only and I had to have another card to do 2d. The banshee I thought was the first 2d/3d card so I bought that.

I played all of Half-Life on the PowerVR card and a PR233 (166mhz) Cyrix chip. Avg 9 fps. Hardcore, bitches.

teepo said:
call me crazy but the voodoo3 looked better then the tnt2 in every game besides quake3. and hell, it ran a tad bit faster too.

I noticed that as well. I had I v3 5500 for awhile and I replaced a Geforce sdr to use it. The vast majority of the games were tuned for the 3dfx at the time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My video card history:
Voodoo 1 -> Voodoo 3 -> Geforce 3 -> Radeon 9800 -> Radeon X850XT plat

Vark

S3 Virge (ha!)
Diamond Monster Voodoo 1
Riva TNT 2
Geforce 1
Geforce 2 GTX
FX5200
Geforce 6800 Ultra

Also scattered about in various machines:
Matrox M300
Voodoo 5 5500 (bought off ebay some years later for Deus Ex, Unreal, Tribes and Rune exclusively)

Top Bottom