• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dookie.gif

Who knows, maybe Gaikai will turn out to be all right for that stuff...

I'm hoping that it does.

That said, I'm making it a point to pick up some of the licensed stuff that I still haven't bought (Simpsons Arcade, Daytona USA, etc...) before they're licensing agreements inevitably end and they get removed from PSN.

I'm still kicking myself for never getting Outrun Online Arcade from EU PSN.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I started Conception. I'd forgotten the full title of the game is "Conception ~Please Have My Children!~".

Feels like I've been talking about Astrology in SonicGAF for quite a while and it plays a giant role in this game. So... I don't think I need to go in-depth about how this game is basically a waifu simulator in an RPG. You talk to the waifus and pick options with respect to what kind of stats you want them to level up. I'm a Taurus, so that changes my stats a bit? Or it affects the priestess I'll have. My blood type is also AB, so I reckon that changes my stats a bit as well.

23wi4mbd8h.jpg

I don't like the methodology or premise behind the game, but I like the mechanics. The gameplay is kind of complex, as expected from a Spike Chunsoft game (yes, this is shockingly not an Idea Fuck Factory game). Some of the mechanics have been done before in games like Sengoku Rance (yeah, when I say I've played a lot, I've even played bottom of the barrel shit like that) or Record of Agerest War, but I think the mechanics in this game work pretty well. The battle system feels a lot like FFX's CTB (ie: you try to attack enemies' weak spots). The game has seven elementals abilities -- fire, wind, water, earth, darkness, light, and null element. Party members and enemies are given elemental properties, which determine which attacks affect them most (so think Pokemon).

fulleyf67.jpg

The children have various attacking classes. You can end up with a fighter, mage, archer, cleric, thief, etc. Also, the child will end up with parameter boosts depending on the parents as well. There are also special classes and higher-level classes. So... if you want to maximize your job roles, pick the right Star Maiden with the right base stats so you can maximize the chosen job (obviously you have to pay attention to the base stats of the astrological signs anyway).

The dungeons are randomly generated like they are in Persona/SMT.

The real reason why I bought this game, actually, is because I wanted to hear the soundtrack. You see, the soundtrack was composed by Masato Kouda. He's a former Capcom composer, and if you check out his VGMdb page, you'll find a bunch of stuff that you'll probably recognize (DMC1, DMC2, some Monster Hunter stuff, El Shaddai, Wild Arms 4/5). I loved his work on the El Shaddai soundtrack, so I figured why not? I'm digging the soundtrack so far.

So... surprisingly... I'm... kinda digging this from a mechanics perspective. It's the waifu touching bullshit I don't like. The game also has in-game achievements.

tbh, it feels like Persona 3 Portable.

Time Eater does its best to make it otherwise.
The positives outweigh the negatives!

The real reason why I bought this game, actually, is because I wanted to hear the soundtrack. You see, the soundtrack was composed by Masato Kouda. He's a former Capcom composer, and if you check out his VGMdb page, you'll find a bunch of stuff that you'll probably recognize (DMC1, DMC2, some Monster Hunter stuff, El Shaddai, Wild Arms 4/5). I loved his work on the El Shaddai soundtrack, so I figured why not? I'm digging the soundtrack so far!

Oh wow, he composed for Vampire Savior and Marvel Vs Capcom? I should check out some of his other stuff.

That full Conception title really hits the point home, i'm sure those kids are bred for the good of humanity.
I have to say, I do not much care for randomly generated content, especially when it's a big part of the main game.

An odd thing has happened in my Four for February, I picked up Uncharted 3 on a whim (or actually because it was cheap) and despite claims that 2 is supposed to be this godly masterpiece that 3 can only wish to be as strong as i'm actually finding 3 sort of more fun even though I know that it's more flawed for numerous reasons mostly relating to the attempts to combine plot and gameplay progression even further which basically means lots of walking sections and good old scripted shenanigans.
The usual series flaws are here in all their glory (take a bow spongebag enemies and spawning enemies out of nowhere) but there's something i'm liking more here, the platforming sections are still super scripted and have every thing Drake touches fall to pieces in a convenient manner, hell I think they've been intentionally doing it as much as possible like a twisted running joke but overall there's been parts where I actually have to try and angle jumps for a change, basically the more ropes the better.
Throwing back enemy grenades is like tears to my eyes joy, the fact that I can go around punching dudes in the face with greater success like a poor mans Arkham Asylum is also a boon even if its implementation is janky and can lead to you locked in a lengthy scuffle while dudes are shooting at you.

Finishing off for the night with the Stowaway chapter which had the most ri-god-damn-diculous set piece finish that truly pisses away any suspension of disbelief the series had left and I actually loved it for it, this game is basically taking all the series tropes and going stupidly nuts with them which I find hilarious. So it's another round of passable gameplay mixed with technical wizardry but i'm enjoying it more than I expected so far, apparently what section i've got coming up next is supposed to be pretty bad so i'm oddly intrigued...I bet it's just lots of walking.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Spent the last two hours fighting MG Rising's final boss on Hard. That fight is some shit.
Better or worse than DmC's final boss?

Because I'm trying to decide which game to tackle first. If I play DmC first and Rising second, Rising might turn out to be better than it really is. If I play DmC last, I mightn't want to finish it if I don't like it.

I heard Rising's combat isn't deep!

Nocturnowl said:
That full Conception title really hits the point home, i'm sure those kids are bred for the good of humanity.
I have to say, I do not much care for randomly generated content, especially when it's a big part of the main game.
Pretty much! You get thrown into another world and you need to breed children via something reminiscent of in-vitro fertilization, only not as biological.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
that conception game sounds really weird as fuck
Are you surprised at this point?

The mechanics are pretty solid, though; but I'm not surprised about that since Spike developed the game. The staff behind it is rather impressive, to say the least (lots of Dangan Ronpa people, director of ore no shi wo koete was the director of this game, etc.). Dungeon crawling feels like Persona 3/4 as you get into it. Honestly, someone else in JGAF told me Criminal Girls was really good, and I think it was the same person who said Conception was really solid in terms of game mechanics so I think I might heed their advice and get Criminal Girls when it goes on sale or something.

To be honest, I was expecting dumbed-down schlock.

That person's full of shit.

And better. I'd rather have an awful boss that takes me forever to beat because he's really tough than an awful boss that's completely lackluster and a pushover.
That's good to hear! I might probably go with feel of 60fps first and then to Rising.

MGR final boss has split people. Either it's totally fuckin' awesome

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

FUUUUCKKKKKKKKK

That final boss was amazing. People hyped it up a lot, but it surpassed my expectations. It was like the best elements of previous MGS final bosses mixed with crrrrraaaazy. Too. Good.

or this is some ol bullshit, let me just get this over with.

qq more

I'd play Rising but I need to play Portable Ops and MGS4 first... so it'll be a while before I decide to play Rising. Demo was cool though.

Noi

I was torn on it. I love 80% of the fight and didn't mind it because I actually got consistently better at the fight to the point where I did most of it without getting hit.

But that other 20% I wish could be tweaked in some way, since it was the cause for me taking me 2 hours to beat it. I still love the boss himself and the game though.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, it is getting reeeaaaaaaally hard to not go see what the fuss is about since I have to wait until possibly next week to continue playing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The controls in Revengeance feel really good. The framerate is really good. This is just the first mission, though. It could falter halfway through. Otherwise, wow, I love how this feels. It's so... fluid. And parrying is nice so far.

I am, however, not a fan of the camera. I'm surprised with how poorly implemented it is.

The camera is the one big blunder in Rising. You can raise the speed, which I highly recommend, but it's too close, gets stuck on walls all the time, and will autocorrect on a dime for no reason.

The controls in Revengeance feel really good. The framerate is really good. This is just the first mission, though. It could falter halfway through. Otherwise, wow, I love how this feels. It's so... fluid. And parrying is nice so far.

I am, however, not a fan of the camera. I'm surprised with how poorly implemented it is.

The camera is my biggest complaint, but honestly it isn't even that bad unless I'm trying to sneak by someone. GOTY for me so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The camera is the one big blunder in Rising. You can raise the speed, which I highly recommend, but it's too close, gets stuck on walls all the time, and will autocorrect on a dime for no reason.
I was wondering if raising the speed would be a nice solution. Otherwise, yeah, the autocorrecting is bothering me a lot.

Good start, though! It's really rad so far. Edit: first boss was hype on hard. I saw Noi go through it before, but it's different to do it yourself. And I knew there was a trophy for cutting off the tail, but I guess I didn't get into a circumstance to parry it and counter to cut it off.

Ahaha, everytime Bean streams now, I'm playing something. Will have on in the background, though.

Hmmm, my friend got MGR a week early as part of some hilariously silly UK promotion for a MGR party, they sent him a box of t-shirts, BALLOONS, and other tat like Konami badges (I bet you're really jealous now!) and he was supposed to host a party gathering for a single player hack and slash title as you do....yeah, so that never happened but I totally get a free shirt and motherfudgin' balloons somewhere down the line when I next see him so envy me.
ANYWAY, I distinctly remember getting a text of sheer grief from the MGR final boss off him back on Sunday so now i'm pretty intrigued since others are saying it's balls to the wall awesome. On the whole he didn't seem that impressed with the game which I find odd considering he's a big fan of the genre, Metal Gear and Platinum.
Anyway this had me in "wait for price drop" mode but now all you crazy fools are saying that it's the bees knees, well shit, I don't know what to believe anymore.
Raiden still sucks though.

Noi

After reflecting on it since last night, the final boss in Rising is basically the ultimate test in "do you know how to play the game?" Knowing what moves to parry, what moves to use Dodge Offset, when to go into offense and when to back the hell up. There's only one or two things about him that I could describe as "unfair", and even then you learn to work around them. He was actually relatively easy on the attempt where I actually beat him.

Four for February done and dusted, Uncharted 3 did its absolute best to throw away any goodwill by ratcheting up on the awfully designed enemy encounters towards the end reminding me of the series main flaws in one big cesspool of frustration but overall it was better than I was expecting.

I wasn't participating in Four for February, but I played Banjo-Kazooie on my 360 for a good 3.5 hours last night grabbing the last music notes, Jiggies, additional honeycombs and secret Bottles puzzles. All I need to do now is the board game stage, and fight off Grunty.

And I've been sitting on this game since a month or so before Nuts and Bolts came out. Talk about a slow burn.

Nert

I've only played Final Fantasy VI, Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy, and a chunk of Hitman: Blood Money so far. This arbitrary challenge is starting to get pretty tense for me!

Quackula

^why does Konami even bother releasing MG games without Shinkawa art on the cover?

Does anyone seriously prefer the rendered look for the box art?

I wasn't participating in Four for February, but I played Banjo-Kazooie on my 360 for a good 3.5 hours last night grabbing the last music notes, Jiggies, additional honeycombs and secret Bottles puzzles. All I need to do now is the board game stage, and fight off Grunty.

And I've been sitting on this game since a month or so before Nuts and Bolts came out. Talk about a slow burn.

When I replayed the game 2 years ago I was surprised by how nails the final battle is, for a game with barely any bosses it sure went mad with the final one.
The Board Game part is just magnificent, except for when you screwed over by a skull square and die instantly.

Ah nuts and bolts, that game was certainly...something.

Didn't bother me too much, but then, the notes in the 360 version stay collected instead of resetting every time.

Does make them remarkably empty upon revisit, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kinda sleepy, but I blame qq for this.

I also blame the people working on the roof for using ridiculously loud tools that woke me up 3 hours after I went to sleep. why would you do that >:|

Four for February done and dusted, Uncharted 3 did its absolute best to throw away any goodwill by ratcheting up on the awfully designed enemy encounters towards the end reminding me of the series main flaws in one big cesspool of frustration but overall it was better than I was expecting.
Ugh, I'm still at 2.

I threw Ni no Kuni in the garbage because I started Revengeance instead. I'm almost finished Time Travelers, though. Considering Revengeance's length, I guess I'll finish it off tonight.

After reflecting on it since last night, the final boss in Rising is basically the ultimate test in "do you know how to play the game?" Knowing what moves to parry, what moves to use Dodge Offset, when to go into offense and when to back the hell up. There's only one or two things about him that I could describe as "unfair", and even then you learn to work around them. He was actually relatively easy on the attempt where I actually beat him.
I agree. Not that far into it, but the game really seems to emphasize knowing when to use Ninja Run and when you need to parry. When in doubt, parry or Dodge Offset. Like, if you wanted to cheese through the entire game, I guess you might want to play it on Easy.

But Normal and Hard? I think you need to know exactly what you're doing in order to get through the game flawlessly.

I've never actually really played Banjo and Kazooie, I need to give it a shot. We'll see how long I can stand the collectathon fest before I snap.

qq more

I've never actually really played Banjo and Kazooie, I need to give it a shot. We'll see how long I can stand the collectathon fest before I snap.

I recently got into it a few months ago... then I stopped because I got tired of the bad N64 controller so I bought a Hori one (that resembles the GC controller) which I recently got.

I'll get back to the game once this month is over.

Well, like I said, the 360 version, at least, remembers whether or not you've collected each of the 900 notes, as opposed to the N64 version which remembers your highest running total.

Man, it feels really weird to be playing a first-party N64 classic as an official first-party XBLA game.

900. The number of collectibles didn't change any (although the eggs/key for the Stop and Swap actually do something, now... in Nuts and Bolts or the XBLA port of Tooie).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom