• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms it’s delayed half of its 12 planned live service games

NEbeast

I can only imagine how much "doom and gloom" would be here on GAF if Xbox would came with statement "we delayed 6 out of 12 games."

"Incompetence"
"Xbox can't manage their studios"

With Sony it will be "they know it takes time to release great games" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The victim complex is real.
Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

kaizenkko

Sony have scale back, that's it. You don't plan to release 12 games in a time period and then cut back half of them.

Schmick

These type of games will make their selection more interesting and fun……you know Fun…..I hate this corporation mind-set.

If only type of game allowed to exist are the games that makes most “profit“ then that would just suck all the fun out of gaming industry.

Also it won’t take forever with crazy budget to make these fun AA games.
Some would argue the GaaS can be fun. Sea of Thieves for example. Or Counter Strike 2. Fortnite. They are fun games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think the more interesting news is that 6 will be released by FY 2025. And 6 are 2026 or later.

I think a lot of people were speculating that GT7 counted as one of them but apparently not. 6 GAAS games in bound in the next year or so.

Factions, Marathon, Concorde, Fairgames, plus 2 more is my guess.

Last edited:

gerth666

Neo Member
And how do you suggest they have the money to continue to provide the games you want?

The answer is not:

Make more single player games
Do day and date on PC

That won't be enough. They need continuous revenue streams as their operating profit is razor thin.

Add in that Microsoft will be aggressively trying to disassociate COD from PlayStation and that income gets less and less too.
How about try dedication lots of of smaller teams within their existing studios to create smaller AA games between the larger AAA games they already create. This way you keep content flowing between the big games. I'm sure thier are hundreds of people within their current studios with some great ideas for games who'd love this opportunity

Salz01

There was a time when I would have been ecstatic to read about 12 incoming Sony games within the next year or so. Now I have a feeling of great trepidation. A huge part of the problem is they haven’t really shown their vision, they just talk about it.

RGB'D

Hahaha sony being gunshy all of a sudden. Almost as if after looking at Bungie maybe going gaas to the max is a bad idea.

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF by reactionseditor
But even with bangers and maxing console sales, SONY has not been shy about how their traditional model is unsustainable. It's not coincidence that they were warning about the unsustainability of AAA (Shawn Layden spoke about this constantly) and now are trying GAAS. I'm okay with Gaas if it helps to support their traditional output as long as they don't release traditional games less often.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I understand the need to diversify your portfolio, but with the way a lot of live service games are monitized, with their psychological tricks to try to get you into their store, and the infinite greed of companies. I'm not really looking forward to these games.

As much as I wouldn't mind a whale financing my next favorite franchise, I know if one or two of those live service games blow up, it's going to be some accountants questioning if it's even financially worth it to make single player games anymore.

Mr Moose

Nobody. I just think that this double standard is pretty hilarious.

It's also funny because you can't even deny that it would not be the case...
Are these 12 from Sony studios? Are Xbox studios delaying GaaS and people are shitting on them? Or is it because they can't, in fact, manage their studios properly?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If only people would buy those.
Niche games are niche, they still have place in gaming industry. Vanillaware games don’t sale high numbers but they still continue make games because they are passionate about their work.

Gaming industry shouldn't only about super high budget AAA games, that would make gaming dull as fuck.

And thats fine. Gamers have different tastes. But to say that GaaS are not fun... thats wrong.
Problem is MOST of the time companies making those GAAS/live service to purely make money instead of giving fun experiences to players.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can they unfuck Marathon and make it a proper Marathon game, please? You can have a multiplayer mode with all the extraction shooter shit. But make a dedicated singleplayer camapign, man.

DragonNCM

the difference is that nobody cares about gaas shit
Yes..Neogaf don't cares but other 95% of the world cares & they supporting it with their wallets. If you don't jump the train in time you are risking to be left out in the dust. Sony is grate at making single player story games but development cost/time vs revenue is marginal vs yearly profits of GAAS games. Good gass game can provide steady profit for years.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Niche games are niche, they still have place in gaming industry. Vanillaware games sale high numbers but they still continue make games because they are passionate about their work.

Gaming industry shouldn't only about super high budget AAA, that would make gaming dull as fuck.

Problem is MOST of the time companies making those GAAS/live service to purely make money instead of giving fun experiences to players.
Every company making and selling video games is doing it to make money. If they were doing it just to give fun experiences to players they'd be doing it for free. There's no altruism at play here. They have no choice but to try to make games fun otherwise people won't give them money.

Sanepar

I can only imagine how much "doom and gloom" would be here on GAF if Xbox would came with statement "we delayed 6 out of 12 games."

"Incompetence"

With Sony it will be "they know it takes time to release great games" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm sure you understand why they have credits. They delivery great games every year for more than 10 years instead MS is always promisses for next year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Every company making and selling video games is doing it to make money. If they were doing it just to give fun experiences to players they'd be doing it for free. There's no altruism at play here. They have no choice but to try to make games fun otherwise people won't give them money.
I’m not saying devs don’t want to make money but you don’t become game developers just to make money, same way people don't become painter for the money, you hope to making money from doing something you love.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

12 GaaS games. I knew they had some in production, but 12? Wouldnt they want to focus on fewer, as GaaS relies on player numbers and surely not everyone will have time for so many. Wont they potentially end up with their GaaS games competing with each other to there detriment. Not forgetting third party ones too.

It would be great to know where we are with all the single player projects they've got on the go.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
12 GaaS games. I knew they had some in production, but 12? Wouldnt they want to focus on fewer, as GaaS relies on player numbers and surely not everyone will have time for so many. Wont they potentially end up with their GaaS games competing with each other, let alone third party ones too.

It would be great to know where we are with all the single player projects they've got on the go.
I think they could do like ... 3.
Factions
Marathon
Something a lot more unusual and original (example, Sea of Thieves)

After that, it seems like they would just be cannibalizing each other. Maybe another FPS since they are light on those.

FriulHado

I'm sure you understand why they have credits. They delivery great games every year for more than 10 years instead MS is always promisses for next year.
Are you serious? Do you have a Xbox or just using an invisible one in an alternative universe?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Maybe with the reviews of the game's in development maybe improving them may give them a better shot. They probably shouldn't have came out with their strategy as publicly as they did. If one hits it covers the rest of the duds and give more cash to other projects, expand their studio teams (more dev teams in studios. Not acquisitions) which would insulate them on third party losses (CoD).

I don't care for GaaS so I wasn't going to be waiting for them anyway. I think Fall Guys was my biggest effort.

Last edited:
Sony wasn't even particularly good with MP titles so far. GT seems to be the only title with a constant update stream currently? For some reason they don't even lock the updates to Plus, which would make sense, imho, but so far it is a one time purchase and no season passes or whatever. At least I think. I dont own it.
Even imho good ones did not really turn into hits. Helldivers, Fat Princess or MAG, Driveclub, Motorstorm, Wipeout, Destruction Allstars and any Resistance, Killzone, GoW Ascension, or Uncharted. I am not sure with Factions either. People liked it, but were the numbers there ever actually good or similarly to MAG and Helldivers a few vocal fans but not really a huge success?
So upgrading to full blown GaaS is jumping over that necessary step. If they ramp it up adequately they need 12 studios with a huge workforce to pump out content for those. Practically several Bungie sized studios. It's nice to want things, and the success of the megahits attracts of course, but finding the idea that is missing in the market and finding the talent to support all of these is dellusional, unless the plan was to throw 12 on the wall and hoping for 1 or 2 to stick and direct the full focus and ressources only to those hits. That would be reasonable, but if anyone at Sony thinks 12 or say just 8 will stick the landing than they succeed Square in being insane with their expectations.
Getting rid of their Sony Online Entertainment group in the past was in hindsight with this current plan, probably also not the wisest. Overall hardly a hit group, otherwise they would not have abandoned them, but also not producing shite and certainly some talent there they could need now.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

12 Gaas with the original plan to launch them before 2025 reflects a total commitment to this type of games and the search for the goose that laid the golden eggs.
Definitely much greater than I would have imagined although it was already presumed looking at the investment tax data.

We will see how that strategy turns out and how it affects the number of SP launches. At the moment there are already 6 with problems and that means lost resources, which is the worst thing about this type of bets.

How about try dedication lots of of smaller teams within their existing studios to create smaller AA games between the larger AAA games they already create. This way you keep content flowing between the big games. I'm sure thier are hundreds of people within their current studios with some great ideas for games who'd love this opportunity

Content is one thing, but the sorts of continuous revenue gains they need are another.

I'm all for day one PC, more mobile, smaller titles etc. I've advocated for that many times.

But it isn't enough and the GAAS is a necessity IMO. I'm not an MP gamer and I play almost all their SP output - but for that to be sustainable (and for them to remain competitive) they need other income.

Camreezie

"Incompetence"

The difference being xbox dont have the history of output of lots of recent high rated titles from first party studios

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It took Jimmie a little while longer than Ybarra and Spencer thought but he was indeed steering Sony down the wrong path.

A well oiled machine still runs for awhile after you remove the oil.

I am glad Sony has made some changes because I hated the direction they were going.
The news here is that they're still going in that direction, just slower.

gerth666

Neo Member
Content is one thing, but the sorts of continuous revenue gains they need are another.

I'm all for day one PC, more mobile, smaller titles etc. I've advocated for that many times.

But it isn't enough and the GAAS is a necessity IMO. I'm not an MP gamer and I play almost all their SP output - but for that to be sustainable (and for them to remain competitive) they need other income.
Same as you mate, I'm a single player only guy, only online I'll do is for dark souls type games. But I must disagree though, they make a shit load of revenue and profit from what they're already doing, what they're doing is trying to find something to jump on the gaas bandwagon which admittedly will increase revenue. But I'm a playstation fan and consumer and not a shareholder, I only care that they make enough money for what they are good at, and they already are. If anything god of war and Spiderman are selling better than ever so I'd still say single player is the way to go

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Either way. None of naughty dogs issues right now come down to a decision Neil Druckmann has made since he'd only just been made president (and co-president after TLOUpt2 launch).

We just don't have anything to go by for what his leadership will end up producing for the company.

So you should be mad at Evan wells for not whipping druckman, or firing him or whatever fantasy you guys have in your head about tloup2
Dude, you better leave my TLoU2 fantasies out of this....

d76.png

Mowcno

Not sure why they thought they'd release 12 games in that period to begin with. From now till March 2026 that would be one game released almost every 2 months. That would have been an incredibly stupid idea.

Now they need to make sure that the games they release are more like Rocket League, CSGO and Path of Exile and not like Anthem, Fallout 76 and Marvel's Avengers.

Last edited:

Schmick

You are right GaaS are there to make money but the current line up of GaaSs' had to do something special to survive and continue to be relevant and I think that has a lot to do with how they play. We know all to well the numerous games that have failed and no longer exist and I take a little comfort that at least a developer has to put some effort into the game or it wont survive.

TrebleShot

Doesn't feel like after last night.
Ratcliffe has proposed the idea to change the name to Banter FC. Plenty of football supporters believe it was genius.
Football supporters have us living rent free for decades after 20 titles and 3 champions leagues and 13 FA cups. Some say they'll never recover.

Topher

Gold Member
Nobody. I just think that this double standard is pretty hilarious.

It's also funny because you can't even deny that it would not be the case...

Don't know why you are pretending there hasn't been plenty of doom and gloom about the state of PlayStation first party output from many of us, including myself, for quite some time now.

This double standard you've dreamt up is what is hilarious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom