• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

BigBoss

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I agree with that. The games I will NEED to play at the end of the day are still on PS3.

This is what pisses me off even more, most of the games they showed looked great and I know I'll give in and plop down the money come November. I just want an HDMI port in the tard version and I'll be happy.

Nozi

Banned
Damage control is at an all time high in this thread. I'll be purchasing a ps3, as I like to own every console.. but that conference didn't convince me there was any real reason to get one. Maybe MGS will get ported to the 360 when Konami see the potential of the 360 market overtaking ps3?

Brofist

Well we can always hope that the response is so negative that they decide to lower the price. They can even save face by making some bs excuse like manufacturing costs being lower than expected.

Watch they pull a PSP Giga Pack on us instead, and announce a 100GB PS3 with 2 HDMI ports for $700 :lol

Brofist

sonycowboy said:
And from what we've seen so far, the best looking by a nice margin.

it's true. that's why from a supposed bunch of hardcore gamers I'm surprised at the (over) reaction. I can understand the same reaction from soccer moms buying their kids a game system though.

lunlunqq

I actually think sony conference had some very good contents. I think it's bad planning that make it look much worse than it should be.

I sorta guessed what I wanted it to be: starting with not-so-hot titles like the incomplete GT, Eyetoy thing, and Genji; then show some better playable title like Heavenly Sword and resistence; finally wow people with FFXIII and MGS4... also to prepare everybody for the $600 shit...

unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. it seems like people were totally disappointed at and turned off by the boring GT HD show... then the bad Genji show made things even worse (the guy who did the demo did not know what he was doing...). when the good games started to show up, people were already in negative moods...

actually with a better arrangement, the show with the same contents could have been better. Just starts with decent playable ones like Heavenly Sword and Risistence. people would have been happy with their progress. then throw in some beautiful (CG) trailers like Lair and other stuff. put the shortened GT HD (just show the Grand Canyon track), EyeToy, and Genji in between somewhere, and then conclude the show with FFXIII and MGS4. Just keep people mind always positive and it might have made the $600 a little easier to swallow...

i actually downlaoded the conference and wathed the vid in that order. i don't feel as bad as i watched it the first time...

Nozi

Banned
sonycowboy said:
And from what we've seen so far, the best looking by a nice margin.

Gears of War looked better than anything at the Sony conference, and guess what? it was actual gameplay :lol

Nozi said:
Gears of War looked better than anything at the Sony conference, and guess what? it was actual gameplay :lol

It looked awesome, no doubt, but it's not catching me. I'd put a few PS3 titles ahead of it, especially given that the PS3 games are still 99% of non-final dev kits. I do think GOW is going to rule this year and let's hope they tighten up the frame rate to decent levels.

Nozi

Banned
sonycowboy said:
It looked awesome, no doubt, but it's not catching me. I'd put a few PS3 titles ahead of it, especially given that the PS3 games are still 99% of non-final dev kits. I do think GOW is going to rule this year and let's hope they tighten up the frame rate to decent levels.

Which ps3 games which showed gameplay looked better?

teiresias

Nozi said:

I'm so over the ubiquitous UE3 "look" that it boasts. Sure it might play great but I'm really getting tired of that entire style being the only thing we're seeing from some devs. PS3 isn't immune to this either as I think Resistance takes some cues from this style as well, it just happens to be a stand-alone game and doesn't have an engine that has a particular look associated with it.

Alright, we get it, nice gritty alien fps - WOOHOO, so amazingly interesting <=sarcasm

Nozi and I will just have to agree to disagree about Heavenly Sword. It has a kinetic energy with a great sense of style and finess in the battles that really makes it the next-gen God of War that isn't God of War. It just makes me salivate at what the inevitable God of War sequel will look like on PS3.

teiresias said:
I'm so over the ubiquitous UE3 "look" that it boasts. Sure it might play great but I'm really getting tired of that entire style being the only thing we're seeing from some devs. PS3 isn't immune to this either as I think Resistance takes some cues from this style as well, it just happens to be a stand-alone game and doesn't have an engine that has a particular look associated with it.

Alright, we get it, nice gritty alien fps - WOOHOO, so amazingly interesting <=sarcasm

Don't bother. Best to ignore him as he'll post 50 replies all from a very specific point of view.

Nozi

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Pfft, whatever dude. You were defending gutter trash like Perfect Dark Zero a few weeks ago.

A game that sold well, was adored by the gaming press, yet disliked by you.. a teenager on a message board. I'm sure Rare are so upset you don't like their game.

Sonycowboy, are you going to answer my question or sidestep the issue and get back to damage control with the other sonybots?

Shouta

Ponn01 said:
Am agree 100% too. Everything is hinging on how fast they can price drop.

Though honestly I don't care at this point. I've come to realize through last gen and since 360 launch and this E3 i'm just not a Western gamer. I'm an eastern gamer. And with the FF blowout and strong Playstation brand in Japan it doesn't matter if MS "takes" the U.S. or not (which they have a really good chance at it now) my gaming tastes are still going to lay with the Playstation. I'm not excited about Halo 3, Alan Wake, Mass Effect or Too Human. Gears of War is interesting and i'm not saying I won't play those games but i'm not nearly as excited as I am for stuff like FFXIII or mildly interested in Heavenly Sword. I'm just so so tired of FPS's.

I suspect a price drop for the PS3 by the Christmas season of next year, at the earliest. Most of the good to great titles usually don't start coming out for a system until at least one year after launch (two years is a better estimate). They'll start pushing the price down when big title games coming out or are just on the horizon so there is a substantial reason to buy it.

nataku said:
...it won't be stuck at $599 forever, despite what most of GAF seems to think.

Yep, it won't be stuck at 599 forever. By the time most of the people here will get one (and seriously, most people here aren't early adopters), it'll have dropped in price to a reasonable number that people will jump at.

Brofist

Nozi said:
A game that sold well, was adored by the gaming press, yet disliked by you.. a teenager on a message board. I'm sure Rare are so upset you don't like their game.

Sonycowboy, are you going to answer my question or sidestep the issue and get back to damage control with the other sonybots?

big words coming from just another "teenager on a message board"

lunlunqq

i'm a sonybot and i just watched the GoW trailer... i think it's good, but no better than the resistence demo i saw in sony conference...

it's just my own opinion. i don't want to stir up the shit again. so...

Nozi said:

An aggregate score of 81% on metacritic and gamerankings is "adored"?

I see why you have your tag. Tool.

Insertia

I think Sony is going to rip as many consumers as they can with the $499/599(wtf) this holiday season and give us a sane price tag later.

MS and Nintendo are on equal footing with Sony with PS3 at that price.

Nozi

Banned
Konnjuta said:
No. I think he's right. You are a tool.

Speak when you're spoken to junior. Harassment, and personal insults aren't tolerated here. If you want to have a slanging match, gamefaqs is that way ---------------->

Insertia

Nozi said:
:lol

So much anger from sonybots after the conference

wtf is wrong with this guy?

You seem angry that we're not angry.

btw- DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT LAIR FOOTAGE WAS REAL-TIME?!? OMFG BEST LOOKING GAME EVER

Nozi

Banned
Insertia said:
btw- WAS ANYONE KNOW IF THAT LAIR FOOTAGE WAS REAL-TIME?!? OMFG BEST LOOKING GAME EVER

I would imagine Lair was a mixture of realtime and post production clean up. Factor 5 know hardware better than anyone so they probably pulled a lot of that off in realtime.. but until actual gameplay is seen, the point is moot.

Konnjuta

Nozi
ignore this post --->
(Today, 12:48 AM)
Reply | Quote

Nozi said:
Speak when you're spoken to junior. Harassment, and personal insults aren't tolerated here. If you want to have a slanging match, gamefaqs is that way ---------------->
:lol :lol Nothings wrong with echoing other people sentiments regarding you especially since I feel the same way. Considering your tag I think you're quite famous around here, for all the wrong reason of course.

shit christ now i know what i missed when the GSpot feed cut off. Why the EFF didn't anyone tell me they showed footage of Bladestorm!? Dynasty Warriors w/Knights! And at launch!

Ben Sones

Insertia said:
btw- DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT LAIR FOOTAGE WAS REAL-TIME?!? OMFG BEST LOOKING GAME EVER

It looked like a CG cut scene. Maybe it's in-engine--who knows? I couldn't even tell what the game was about from what they showed. I guess it involves dragons and aerial combat. I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about it; maybe it's a cool game, but personally, I'll wait until I see some of it--any of it--to decide. Seems like the hype machine on overdrive to me.

Microsoft's teasers for Blue Dragon and Halo 3 struck me the same way. Yawn. Gamers are easily impressed, I guess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GitarooMan said:
Sort of OT, but the 1up podcast from Monday night on the Sony conference is a riot. They really get intense about it.

I love Luke. The way he pounces on Shane is hilarious.

I dunno, you'd think by looking at GAF, that even if hardcore gamers are put back by PS3's price, that mainstreamers and the like would.
WRONG. People constantly calling in, and coming in, "CAN I PRE ORDER A PS3? CAN I PAY IT OFF NOW?". Everyone that asked, or talked about PS3, I asked them which version they were getting, and most people said theyre getting the 60 gig version.

teiresias

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I love Luke. The way he pounces on Shane is hilarious.

Shane can be annoying, but quite frankly I find the entire 1up crew (at least on the podcast) to be a bunch of annoying little children. For months they give Sony grief about the PS3 complaining about not knowing anything when they knew even less about the Wii yet go on and on harping praise on the untouched Nintendo diety.

I actually agree with what Shane said to Luke (I think) where Shane was like "you don't want what MS or Sony are giving, yet you rag on Nintendo for using a gimmicky controller, what exactly does your jaded little emo-self want?" I agree that that seems to be the attitude about with alot of them there, though the rest aside from Luke seem warmer to Wii.

I don't know, the podcast generally just sounds like a voiced version of GAF alot of times.

vantastic

Konnjuta said:
:lol :lol Nothings wrong with echoing other people sentiments regarding you especially since I feel the same way. Considering your tag I think you're quite famous around here, for all the wrong reason of course.
famous for what? who the hell is he? :lol

tsp_gatmog said:
I dunno, you'd think by looking at GAF, that even if hardcore gamers are put back by PS3's price, that mainstreamers and the like would.
WRONG. People constantly calling in, and coming in, "CAN I PRE ORDER A PS3? CAN I PAY IT OFF NOW?". Everyone that asked, or talked about PS3, I asked them which version they were getting, and most people said theyre getting the 60 gig version.

PS3 will be sold out.

By the way are the people preordering your typical HS crowd or older folks?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
teiresias said:
Shane can be annoying, but quite frankly I find the entire 1up crew (at least on the podcast) to be a bunch of annoying little children. For months they give Sony grief about the PS3 complaining about not knowing anything when they knew even less about the Wii yet go on and on harping praise on the untouched Nintendo diety.

I actually agree with what Shane said to Luke (I think) where Shane was like "you don't want what MS or Sony are giving, yet you rag on Nintendo for using a gimmicky controller, what exactly does your jaded little emo-self want?" I agree that that seems to be the attitude about with alot of them there, though the rest aside from Luke seem warmer to Wii.

I don't know, the podcast generally just sounds like a voiced version of GAF alot of times.

Well, I should have said more like, "I like how overdramatic Luke is."

I actually do like Shane. I haven't been a frequent reader of 1up or EGM, so I'm just getting into remembering who has what biases. I think people bashing Sony games was kinda lame being that nothing was playable at that time.

Nozi

Banned
new warhawk screens at playsyde

981_0007.jpg

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Nozi said:

Nozi
ignore this post --->
(Today, 12:05 AM)
Reply | Quote

:)

Top Bottom