• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

teiresias

GashPrex said:
anybody think that sony might change their minds on the price point after hearing how bent a lot of people are?

on the 1up podcast they were saying that sony people were concerened they had alienated some fans with the pricepoint, so obviously they are aware.

Beyond the price itself, I hope they realize that the hardware differences are also bending people out of shape. People generally don't have issues getting different sized HDD at different price points, but when you take out actual hardware features that you can't replace later on it gets some people very, very bent out of shape.

Quite frankly, they could solve this with me by making HDMI standard across both SKU's, as anything I use a memory card with also will allow USB access, so the flash slots aren't as big a deal to me.

genjiZERO said:
Fixed :D

like I keep saying, Sony can near charge whatever they want. FF and MGS fans are rabid

Seriously, at the end of the day Sony still has the games I want most of all with games like MGS, FF, DMC.

But, yeah that price hurts so bad.

genjiZERO

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Seriously, at the end of the day Sony still has the games I want most of all with games like MGS, FF, DMC.

What the price ultimately means is that I won't be able to get all the systems I want early on. So I have to make the decision, do I want a PS3 at launch or a Wii? This scenario sux, but maybe its a business strategy on Sony's part; by having these exclusives Sony will certainly be getting my money, the question now is when. If the Wii comes out at 200US and the games are cheaper and not gimicky then I very well may get that and patiently wait for Final Fantasy 13 before I pick up a PS3 (probably a year or two down the line). But still I'll be getting a PS3.

But you know, thinking about it 600US really isn't that bad of a price for what you get out of the thing. Sony is still losing money at that price. Plus if you compare a $600 PS3 to a $400 iPod and what you get with all that, well, I think anyway, the PS3 looks the better deal.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

If the PS3 fails to grab a significant market share because of price, I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox 360 versions of MGS, FF and others are announced. I think 3rd party exclusivity is sort of a moot point these days.

genjiZERO said:
What the price ultimately means is that I won't be able to get all the systems I want early on. So I have to make the decision, do I want a PS3 at launch or a Wii? This scenario sux, but maybe its a business strategy on Sony's part; by having these exclusives Sony will certainly be getting my money, the question now is when. If the Wii comes out at 200US and the games are cheaper and not gimicky then I very well may get that and patiently wait for Final Fantasy 13 before I pick up a PS3 (probably a year or two down the line). But still I'll be getting a PS3.

But you know, thinking about it 600US really isn't that bad of a price for what you get out of the thing. Sony is still losing money at that price. Plus if you compare a $600 PS3 to a $400 iPod and what you get with all that, well, I think anyway, the PS3 looks the better deal.

Perhaps, with all you get it's worth the value, just matter of the consumer who would take such a hit. What makes it worse is that we know retailers are going to bundle the hell out of the system.

RaijinFY

Snaku said:

For MGS4, FFXIII games and others... Ugh, I will get a PS3 possibly, but first I'll wait a price drop. THERES NO WAY SONY YOU WILL GET €600 FROM ME!!! NOT EVEN WITHOUT BUYING A SINGLE GAME!!!!

EDIT: I dont think it's arrogance from Sony but clearly there are taking a lot of risks... Too much IMO. There are going to have consequences and I hope they are aware of them...

RaijinFY said:
For MGS4, FFXIII games and others... Ugh, I will get a PS3 possibly, but first I'll wait a price drop. THERES NO WAY SONY YOU WILL GET €600 FROM ME!!! NOT EVEN WITHOUT BUYING A SINGLE GAME!!!!

It's good thing games like MGS4, FFXIII are out next year and beyond, perfect for pricedrops.

RaijinFY

I dont think Sony will have the balls to keep these prices more than one year. Once they will switch to 65nm for CELL and RSX, cost production will go down and then I expect a $100 price cut for each SKU. Otherwise, this is insane... and certainly not good for the industry.

Sallokin

I was just told that the extreme price of the PS3 is due to all the licensing Sony had to do to steal the design of the George Forman grill, not because of blue ray or any of that other nonsense... Yes, I'm bored and at work.

Elios83

RaijinFY said:
I dont think Sony will have the balls to keep these prices more than one year. Once they will switch to 65nm for CELL and RSX, cost production will go down and then I expect a $100 price cut for each SKU. Otherwise, this is insane... and certainly not good for the industry.

These prices are not a suprise from Sony here in Europe.
PS2 was priced around 450-500€ (depending on the country) here at launch.It sold out immediatly,in France there were even riots to get it :lol
But sales slowed down incredibly with the new year and they were forced to cut the price to 300€ (so a 150€ price cut) in September 2001, 10 months after launch.Then the sales started to fly again (and never slowed down again :D )
I think that Sony has been hurted more than they expected by Blu Ray costs,probably PS3 is around 100$/€ more expensive than they wanted at the losses they can take.
This November and December they will sell out no matter of the 500/600 $ cost.
Next year with hardcore gamers and high tech fans served they're in BIG BIG troubles, but it seems like the new model with 65nm chips will be out only a few months after the launch model,so I think they will be able to cut the price soon if sales will be slow.

Ponn

Banned
RaijinFY said:
The funny thing is if Sony had announced a $100 cheaper SKU, I would have been sold. :/

This is what i'm not understanding and someone mentioned it earlier and I think I agree its a psychological thing. People are crying bloody murder on this price and convincing themselves the Basic package is crippled when actually it's priced pretty damn reasonably next to it's competitior sitting on the shelf. You're getting everything the competitor offers on the shelf and for a hundred bucks more you are getting a next gen disc format STANDARD for future proof gaming and Blu-ray movie playback. For a hundred bucks more. And you have 6 months to save up that hundred bucks but look at the return on investment. I'm really just talking about the bitching on GAF here. Your average consumer I wouldn't expect this kind of reasoning from and I don't expect them out there on launch day either.

I'm basically looking at it like building a PC. I try to have a good mix of what's in my budget and what I can throw in to future proof it as much as possible. And that's just hardware though. The bigger picture is hardware, longevity and games. Games being the biggest push for me along with Blu-ray. The machine is an investment, regardless what you think you may or may not want you have to take into consideration whats in it and everything its about. I'd rather have the stuff in there with seamless integration and standard then have to monkey around with add ons and accessories and upgrades. Save that shit and headache for the PC and in the long run I always end up paying more for it and getting less.

BigBoss

RaijinFY said:
The funny thing is if Sony had announced a $100 cheaper SKU, I would have been sold. :/

You know I have no problem with paying $500 for the PS3 as long as it has HDMI. I just want Sony to add the HDMI port to the tard pack and I will be there on launch day, I think paying $500 for a game console with the greatest diversity of games and a Blu-Ray player is well worth it.

EGM92

Did sony show any specs on the HDD's? Are they standard 2.5" drives? Solid state media low power 2.5 drives? 7200Rpm? anything at all..

genjiZERO

Ponn01 said:
This is what i'm not understanding and someone mentioned it earlier and I think I agree its a psychological thing. People are crying bloody murder on this price and convincing themselves the Basic package is crippled when actually it's priced pretty damn reasonably next to it's competitior sitting on the shelf. You're getting everything the competitor offers on the shelf and for a hundred bucks more you are getting a next gen disc format STANDARD for future proof gaming and Blu-ray movie playback. For a hundred bucks more. And you have 6 months to save up that hundred bucks but look at the return on investment. I'm really just talking about the bitching on GAF here. Your average consumer I wouldn't expect this kind of reasoning from and I don't expect them out there on launch day either.

I'm basically looking at it like building a PC. I try to have a good mix of what's in my budget and what I can throw in to future proof it as much as possible. And that's just hardware though. The bigger picture is hardware, longevity and games. Games being the biggest push for me along with Blu-ray. The machine is an investment, regardless what you think you may or may not want you have to take into consideration whats in it and everything its about. I'd rather have the stuff in there with seamless integration and standard then have to monkey around with add ons and accessories and upgrades. Save that shit and headache for the PC and in the long run I always end up paying more for it and getting less.

Well this is just reasonable. You should be banned! :D

RaijinFY

Panajev2001a said:
I think Sony corp's new policy is to massively increase profit margins and reduce by a great amount the number of years it takes any product they sell to recoup their losses.

This is Stringer's new strategy?

jacomar said:
Someone on a spanish forum did a hell of a job putting up pics of what was shown this year, and what was shown laste year. He called it PS3 vs PS2.5

Sorry if yall consider it offtopic

http://elotrolado.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549631&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

I got say though, since select games didn't match their own CG(duh), it still a stretch to call something like Resistence PS2.5 since it's not up to Killzone CG. Has he seen the game compared to PS2 games? That .5 is one generaltional leap then.

Beowvlf

Banned
I won't be surprised in the least if Sony drops the PS3 price by $100 at E3 2007, using the switch to 65nm as an excuse to deflect any claims they're doing it out of fear they can't compete. I think it's pretty obvious they're starting with this price point because early adopters will pay it, plain and simple.

And as someone who is buying the premium pack day one, I've no problem with this. I think the value is still there, and $100 is nothing if it means I get the system on launch day and ~7 months before the first drop.

jacomar

Neo Member
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I got say though, since select games didn't match their own CG(duh), it still a stretch to call something like Resistence PS2.5 since it's not up to Killzone CG. Has he seen the game compared to PS2 games? That .5 is one generaltional leap then.

I only browed a few pics... but i think you get the point of that post

RaijinFY said:

If they just busted down each price by $100 bucks that would be enough for me. I'll buy the gimp pack at $400 easily.

RaijinFY

Sorry going to be annoying with this but does anyone fell ashamed for Namco? :lol

I mean WTH did they show at Sony's conference?

nataku

jacomar said:

I take back what I said... I should have said most of those are terrible. GT4 crowd comparsions are decent I guess. As are the Fatal Inertia screens. F1 and Motorstorm are good too.

Giant open field with tons of enemies vs closed off arena? (Heavenly Sword) The arena shots look extremely close to me. Definely better than PS2.5.

Giant open mountains with tons of ships vs open ocean? (Warhawk)

The Killzone and Resistance comparsions are the worst of all. It's not even the same game. :lol

The first Tekken 6 video shown was obviously CG and anyone who expected that was crazy.

I mean, c'mon. At least wait until they show Warhawk and Heavenly Sword gameplay with tons of ships/enemies and crap in comparable environments. If they ever do.

Snaku

Banned
So uh, yeah. Do I have to wait until the PS3 actually launches later this year, or is Sony's word enough to have my tag removed? :lol

Doube D

bull fuckin shit. There is NO WAY sony is losing 100-200 bucks on the 600 dinero version. Are these idiots saying it costs sony 800 dollars to mass produce the ps3 (something it does practically all internally)? Cause if so, either MS is losing 400 bucks per x360 or ps3 tech really is a gpu generation ahead. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense, blu ray drive and all taken into account.

I HIGHLY doubt sony would be losing any money on the 600 buck piece. MAYBE 50ish at best.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Doube D said:
bull fuckin shit. There is NO WAY sony is losing 100-200 bucks on the 600 dinero version. Are these idiots saying it costs sony 800 dollars to mass produce the ps3 (something it does practically all internally)? Cause if so, either MS is losing 400 bucks per x360 or ps3 tech really is a gpu generation ahead. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense, blu ray drive and all taken into account.

I HIGHLY doubt sony would be losing any money on the 600 buck piece. MAYBE 50ish at best.

Supposedly MS lose $126 on every 360 sold so $100-$200 doesn't seem that far off base.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6140383.html?sid=6140383

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
MrSardonic said:
where does this bullshit come from? Reports of the videogames industry are so fucking inaccurate it borders on propaganda

Borders??? It is full-on propaganda. I am amazed at how much the media fuels the fanboyism in this industry.

_leech_ said:
Don't have any numbers, but i do know they've had a form of HDTV (known as Hi-Vision) since the early 90s.

Yeah, I know all about ancient Japan analog HDTV via Hi-Vision / MUSE (I even know people who have compatible laserdisc players...hell, I know somebody with a W-VHS deck), but you know, those tiny apartments that can't fit a PS3 and all, I would just like to know the HDTV penetration.

One of the reasons I'm curious is to see how many people there can really get the benefit of the high-def advantage of PS3 over Wii.

It is full-on propaganda. I am amazed at how much the media fuels the fanboyism in this industry.

Oh man, the hits just keep coming.

Yeah, Bloomberg am fuckin' biased total! :lol

The problem is this isn't a gaming site, and these are industry analysts.

If you want to bitch about bias; focus on every shit video game site out there. Every game "journalist" is peddling their agenda, but they're unlikely to admit that when put on the spot.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Yeah, Bloomberg am fuckin' biased total! :lol
The problem is this isn't a gaming site, and these are industry analysts.
So you are saying that an industry analyst who says that 360 has 'PS2 graphics' is credible.

wahmbulance4qk.jpg

"Oh my god! He's cutting and pasting news articles - PROTECT THE FUCKING HIVE!"

Grow up.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Snaku said:
So uh, yeah. Do I have to wait until the PS3 actually launches later this year, or is Sony's word enough to have my tag removed? :lol
Not until I walk into Costco and see PS3s on the shelf!

karasu

Doube D said:

A few months ago Meryl Lynch reported that it costs $900 to produce a PS3.

Zabojnik

"For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2."

I just read this here: http://www.forumplanet.com/planetmedalofho...441&tid=1890357. I didn't hear them mention that during the conference. I wonder if it's true, since the incredible amount of noise that the x360 produces is really killing me. An almost silent PS3 would be great news.

Vormund

I have my doubts it's be real quiet. (I don't have a slim PS2 mind you, so I don't know the comparison)

I've had a slot loading drive in my PC and it was a loud bitch. That said, It'll most likely be quieter than the 360. :) It's not hard.

Top Bottom