• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Anyone else get the feeling that GT5 will just be GT4 in HD with some extra cars and hopefully some online play?

What happened Polyphony? at TGS you showed us a glimpse of what GT5 will be like on the ps3.Remember in the start of the trailer they showed us two cars, rx7 and the lancer evo which were full spec ps3 models, now they're showing us the GT4 upgrade.

flipswitch said:
Anyone else get the feeling that GT5 will just be GT4 in HD with some extra cars and hopefully some online play?

They aren't calling it GT5 for a reason. I think they could release GTHD as a launch title, but that's what it'd be called, GTHD it wouldn't be GT5.

Sony had some excellent PS3 games shown. There's no denying that. It's just that the 360's show outclassed them on that matter.

I am impressed with all the new IPs of both systems. It's REALLY impressive to see so many companies willing to build new franchises with this new generation, when last generation when certain systems were shown, it was nothing but sequels.

However, Sony's PSP was ignored aside from PSOne emulation and a nice lineup clip (Which also did not include some of the best games like Crisis Core and the new Metal Gear Solid)

Also, the last 5 minutes of the PS3 showing ruined the whole show. I saw nothing worth $500, let alone $600... Sorry. FFXIII came closest, though, but that's in '09. Sony's online plans are nice... but XBox Live just stepped over them again easily.

Mrbob

Show some Resistence footage on G4 with an interview with Ted Price, extremely impressed with the game now.

It is not a WW2 knock off shooter, and they plan on bringing the extravagent weaponry from the Ratchet and Clank series into this game. It looks really nice in motion as well, with a smooth frame reate with 6 months development time left.

I'll think I'll be getting this game when I get my PS3 sometime next year.

ManaByte

Mrbob said:
It is not a WW2 knock off shooter, and they plan on bringing the extravagent weaponry from the Ratchet and Clank series into this game. It looks really nice in motion as well, with a smooth frame reate with 6 months development time left.

That's the ONE thing they can do to get me excited about it. Right now I'm not really interested in it at all.

The only game I'm looking forward to is Warhawk, simply because that's needed a sequel since 1996.

Vormund

About Genji2...did the guy say at the start that it's based on historical battles?

Then why is there a giant fucking crab thing?

Bearillusion said:
Giant Crabs they attacked only after you wiped out their foot soldiers were quite common back in the day.

Yeah, Giant Crabs were no problem for feudal Japanese warriors. We kicked the Unicorn's ass shortly after.

xaosslug said:
More like the advent of game consoles being priced @ their worth? No more selling $$$ tech at such a huge loss.
These kinds of sentences boggles my mind.
Are you guys speaking as Sony employees or as videogamers/consumers?

I don't know how folks can damage control, or somehow spin something positive out of this disappointing news.
An expensive system is an expensive system.

I actually hope Sony lose most of its marketshare for the next generation, just so it would set a good example for other companies/businesses for future generations that these types of practices will bite you in the ass in the long run.

Before I'm ridiculed or whatever for being a hater, I actually own a PS/PS2 and have been enjoying their games immensely.
It's just that, the people at Sony and especially Ken's blind arrogance and thuggery (in interviews/conferences/announcements) gets on my nerves sometimes, and we need to bring them back to reality.

ram

SolidSnakex said:
They aren't calling it GT5 for a reason. I think they could release GTHD as a launch title, but that's what it'd be called, GTHD it wouldn't be GT5.

yeah, i think thats possible. gran turismo hd at launch.

xaosslug

HeavenlyStriker said:
These kinds of sentences boggles my mind.
Are you guys speaking as Sony employees or as videogamers/consumers?

I don't know how folks can damage control, or somehow spin something positive out of this disappointing news.
An expensive system is an expensive system.

I actually hope Sony lose most of its marketshare for the next generation, just so it would set a good example for other companies/businesses for future generations that these types of practices will bite you in the ass in the long run.

Before I'm ridiculed or whatever for being a hater, I actually own a PS/PS2 and have been enjoying their games immensely.
It's just that, the people at Sony and especially Ken's blind arrogance and thuggery (in interviews/conferences/announcements) gets on my nerves sometimes, and we need to bring them back to reality.

These kinds of sentences boggles my mind... :p

You know what you'll get if "Sony lose most of its marketshare for the next generation"? Wii TOTAL. Wii take away wiimote = LAST GEN TECH at it's finest. As much as I hate to admit it... I will pay a premium price for a product I perceive as premium... sorry!

I REALLY don't see the prob. as I don't recall Kaz, Ken or Peter demoing Cell's nuclear missile guidance capabilities and threatening to bomb zel droppen unless I buy a PS3, I may be wrong.

I don't like the price point myself, dude--at all (I can't afford it presently and will have to save up accordingly for launch), but: FFXIII, Gran Turismo, Heavenly Sword, Lair, etc.

PS3 get (!!!), as this console fits my own personal gaming needs.

Playstation consoles are a long term investment, as Sony have proven to their fanbase with their continued support well into new generations and backward comparability. IMO, barring anything major like a huge market crash or multiple natural disasters, Sony will do just fine at the price they're asking. They are probably the only company out of the three that could get away with this kind of bullshit, too. Probably. lol

jax (old)

Banned
after all watching all the shows, my negative reaction to the sony show got reassed and they managed to come through pretty well in the end. I don't think $600 is too much for PS3 considering what you'd be getting; the BLU RAY being the driving tech... and its got a HDD to boot. I could have done with or without the motion sensor thing

And then the games... sony I felt had quite a bit more real time content than microsoft when all was said and done. genji might have been stupid but ffxii, mgs4, hs and resistance all looked really really nice. And I know that when they release ape escapes (I feel like a monkey, :lol ... Id have to buy a PS3) I'm sure that the next 3 days will bring more surprises. E3 is ongoing after all

bring on the show.

sol_bad

hmmmmm
Just a quick comment.
People think that Gears of War blows away all the PS3 games?
Gears of War looks gorgous and all and I definately plan on buying it. But it has such a horrible frame rate it ends up being horrible to look at. Then theres the amount of blood coming from your guy and the enemies, yet they don't change looks physically at all.
:eek:(

These PS3 games are far from complete and are already running pretty much silky smooth.
Can't believe 8 months later and devs are still having framerate issues with the Xbox 360.
Ah well, I'll have my own 360 in September/October and my PS3 in November.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
xaosslug said:
PS3 get (!!!), as this console fits my own personal gaming needs.

i think the problem a lot of people have is that the PS3 also contains a whole load of stuff that isn't closely related to "gaming needs", that a lot of people's "gaming needs" have a price limit, and that it doesn't fit their "gaming needs" when Sony starts pimping microtransactions for weapons in games etc.

jax (old)

Banned
^^^
No one seems to have complained about dvd playback before.. the microtransaction business...well, you don't have to buy shit. THEY BETTER HAVE IT UNLOCKABLE VIA PLAYTIME though. OTHERWISE..... there'd be a riot

is the extra stuff really a problem?

I can't wait to see what team ICO is doing for PS3.

I was impressed by the PS3 after I saw the (pseudo) high def videos on game trailers, that game by Naughty Dog looks amazing, the animation is high quality, and it reminds of another world/flashback in the way you can take a guy out with one shot/punch BAM!! Same with "8 Days" animation is key for me next generation.

WarHawk looks unbelievable in motion in comparison to the screenshots, the screenshots look bare but seeing it in motion really shows it off. Same with Resistance, in an interview the developer said Resistance was running at 60fps solid.

They need to show off more of Lair soon that could potentially be amazing, and I was blown away by Metal Gear Solid need the high def trailer.

The only game I was dissappointed with was "Formula 1", I really thought I'd be playing an F1 game with graphics compartive to GranTurismo next gen, but it looks like there will be a massive disparity in visuals once again (unless GT5 doesn't live up to potential, as if.)

As for the price, I'll just take it, the British guy for Sony said to expect around £425 for the complete version but "if they can shave something off it they will", I'm happy with this price, well not happy but I can live with it as long as I can wirelessly stream media from my Sony desktop to my PS3, was there any talk about this type of functionality?

personally I seriously doubt sony will stick with these prices: this may be the first shot of the price war to try and entice MS and Ninty to blow their wad.

Ninty looks like they didnt fall for it by not announcing their price.

In a recent conf call, sony announced a major drop in future profits mostly because of the PS3 (ie using it as a loss leader). I dont see how with only 2 million going on sale how they could lose the amount they were talking about if they are selling the ps3 at $600.

I think they're testing the waters to see who bites. I expect a drop to more realistic prices before release.

Jax said:
^^^
No one seems to have complained about dvd playback before.. the microtransaction business...well, you don't have to buy shit. THEY BETTER HAVE IT UNLOCKABLE VIA PLAYTIME though. OTHERWISE..... there'd be a riot

is the extra stuff really a problem?

I can't wait to see what team ICO is doing for PS3.
That was because it wasn't driving up the costs too much and DVD playback was worth a damn. Blu-Ray could be the next betamax for all we know.

Systems_id said:
That was because it wasn't driving up the costs too much and DVD playback was worth a damn. Blu-Ray could be the next betamax for all we know.

Do you think BluRay has no relevance in next gen games what so ever? Do you think that Sony have only put bluray into the machine for movies, even though they are going to produce a stripped down version which doesn't use HDMI, therefore making it a potential "non-player" of future blurays.

travisbickle said:
Do you think BluRay has no relevance in next gen games what so ever? Do you think that Sony have only put bluray into the machine for movies, even though they are going to produce a stripped down version which doesn't use HDMI, therefore making it a potential "non-player" of future blurays.
I don't give a damn if BR is used to blow me, it's not worth the extra money they want for it.

Drek

Systems_id said:
Is blu-ray really driving the price up, or is Sony just unwilling to take a loss per unit comprable to MS?

I think thats the real question here. Has Sony built a console that they can't price competatively, or do they just feel that they are in a position where they don't need to price competatively to start.

If its the former, well, they've really fucked themselves pretty hard. If its the later, we'll see agressive price cuts and Sony will probably do quite well for themselves.

bud

Count Chocula said:
no that's like 1/4 of it. You should see the full HD version. Simply sunning. It's hard to believe that any of it is realtime.

Have you got a link to the SD version (my pc sucks)? I would really like to see it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think Sony corp's new policy is to massively increase profit margins and reduce by a great amount the number of years it takes any product they sell to recoup their losses.

Systems_id said:
I don't give a damn if BR is used to blow me, it's not worth the extra money they want for it.

This is a headache-inducing pointless arguement, Sony have gone with a new disc media, that's how they see the future for their next gen games, all PS3 games will be on bluray. How can you say it's not worth it when we don't even know what will be the advantages of using the format.

Panajev2001a said:
I think Sony corp's new policy is to massively increase profit margins and reduce by a great amount the number of years it takes any product they sell to recoup their losses.
Why should they suddenly change their strategy? I thought the Playstation brand was doing just fine, having sold more then 200 millions PS's and having massive 3th party support. Why take the risk to bomb hard 'cause of the ridiculous price. :-?

Mau ®

Souldriver said:
Why should they suddenly change their strategy? I thought the Playstation brand was doing just fine, having sold more then 200 millions PS's and having massive 3th party support. Why take the risk to bomb hard 'cause of the ridiculous price. :-?

Dude its gonna sell out completely at launch and in the first 6 months anyway...

For the costumer, Sony's strategy blows. For a company, its great. Besides they'll probably put the price down as soon as the manufacturing costs go down, if I remember correctly the PSP was making profit faster than Sony expected so the PS3 can't be that far.

It wont bomb. Unlike past dead systems they didn't have the biggest 3rd party support. Sony is has that and still has the franchises that sell to the average PS user, Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4, GT, GTA4 (multi but still). In the end gamers will buy the console that has the games they want and PS3 has most of those anyway...

Well it's started to make it's rounds in the newspaper. This morning the Cleveland Plain Dealer had a shortened version of this article in the Business section.

Sony's PS3 to Cost $100 More Than Microsoft Xbox 360 (Correct)

(Corrects spelling of name in 10th paragraph.)

By Daisuke Takato

May 9 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's biggest maker of video-game consoles, will sell the PlayStation 3 from Nov. 11 in Japan, betting features such as a high-definition DVD player make the machine worth $100 more than Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360.

The PS3 will come with a 20-gigabyte hard-disk drive and sell for 59,800 yen ($535) in Japan, and $499 and 499 euros in the U.S. and Europe starting Nov. 17, Sony Computer Entertainment America Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai said yesterday at an industry conference in Los Angeles.

Sony is looking to attract gamers with functions not available on the Xbox 360, such as a Blu-ray DVD player and a controller that lets users maneuver games by waving it in the air. The Tokyo-based company showed the console with games including Electronic Arts Inc.'s ``NBA Live,'' and touted features such as online chatting and game-playing, as it looks to catch up with Microsoft, which started selling the Xbox 360 in November.

``Early adopters will buy the console, even if it's expensive,'' said Fumio Osanai, an analyst at UBS Securities Japan Ltd. ``The Xbox 360 graphics are no different from the previous PlayStation and on top of that, the PS3 will have Blu- ray, so they can justify the price.''

Sony on March 15 delayed the global release of the PS3 from a target to get the player out in ``spring,'' because of a holdup in copy protection standards for the Blu-ray, a high-definition DVD format that can store at least five times more data than standard DVDs.

Shares of Sony have gained 2.6 percent since March 15, when the company said it would delay the PS3 by about six months, lagging the Nikkei 225 Stock Average's 5.3 percent advance in the same period. Sony's stock fell 0.9 percent to 5,610 yen today.

Key to Strategy

The PS3 is key to Sony's business strategy as it uses the Cell chip, the company's fastest processor ever, and may help spur sales from its movie library, which includes classics such as the ``James Bond'' series and recent hits like ``Spider-Man.''

``The PS3 is a pillar business for Sony because it holds the future for its software and device businesses,'' said Naoki Fujiwara, who oversees about $172 million in Japanese equities at Shinkin Asset Management Co. in Tokyo. ``At 60,000 yen it's not something you can easily get your kids for Christmas,'' so the PS3's popularity may not spread that much, Fujiwara said.

The Xbox 360 with a 20-gigabyte hard drive sells for $399, and a version without a drive costs $299. The PS2 cost 39,800 yen in Japan when it came out in March 2000 and $399 in the U.S. A 60-gigabyte version of the PS3 will sell for $599 or 599 euros, and retailers in Japan can set their own price on that model.

`A Lot of Money'

``Ouch, 60,000 yen is a lot of money for a console,'' said Chikako Nagashima, 33, from Kanagawa prefecture, just outside of Tokyo. ``My boyfriend and I were thinking of buying two PS3s so we can play online, but I think we'll just settle for one initially,'' said Nagashima, who has bought almost every player since Nintendo Co.'s Entertainment System in 1984.

Even with a $599 price tag, Sony will lose about $100 to $200 on every unit is sells initially, analysts said.

The console costs about $800 to make, Hiroshi Takada, an analyst at JPMorgan Securities Asia Pte., wrote in a report today. Sony last month said the video-game unit may have a 100 billion yen operating loss in the year started April 1.

``The start-up costs are such that you may not make money on every single unit from day one, but you will'' ultimately make money, Phil Harrison, president of worldwide studios at Sony Computer Entertainment, said in an interview at the conference.

Console makers initially sell the hardware at a loss to keep the price low enough to attract users, and recoup that later by selling game software and collecting royalties from third-party game makers. Sony's Hirai yesterday reiterated the company's target to ship 6 million PS3 units by March 31.

Xbox 360

Microsoft, which loses about $150 per console, according to researcher ISuppli Corp., in March more than doubled Xbox 360 shipments to retailers to help satisfy demand. The Redmond, Washington-based software maker plans to sell 5 million to 5.5 million Xbox machines by June 30.

Sony, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, demonstrated the console using new games including ``Formula One 06'' and ``Sing Star,'' a karaoke-like program that lets users sing along with tunes. Consoles connected to the Internet will be able to download new songs.

Ken Kutaragi, the head of Sony's video-game business, showed how the new wireless controller can detect when a user tilts, pulls or makes other subtle moves. The device is similar to a controller used by Nintendo's Wii game console due for debut sometime this year.

Not Innovative

``We didn't see a lot of innovation'' in Sony's presentation today, said Shane Kim, general manager of Microsoft Game Studios. He said there is a ``significant'' difference in the price of the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 and that Sony's controller appeals to a ``niche market.''

Consumers will be able to buy PlayStation cards, letting them acquire additional content such as extra characters. Players can chat online and form communities similar to those at News Corp.'s MySpace.com.

Sony, the world's second-largest consumer electronics maker, has sold more than 103 million PS2s since their March 2000 debut. The company had 64 percent of the market for that generation of consoles, Merrill Lynch & Co.'s Kash Rangan wrote in a May 2 note. Microsoft garnered 16 percent and Nintendo Co. had 13 percent.

``There's a lot of advantages that Microsoft has,'' said Mike Goodman, an analyst at Yankee Group Research in Boston. ``They're in second-generation software, they have an installed base, they're out before Sony.''

Goodman predicts Sony will hold 45 percent of the market share for this generation of game consoles, versus 40 percent for Microsoft.

``This is a fascinating strategic chess match that is going on between Sony and Microsoft,'' Goodman said. ``It's punch and counterpunch.''

To contact the reporter on this story:
Daisuke Takato in Tokyo at dtakato@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: May 9, 2006 05:36 EDT

Bold for GASOLINA!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
The Xbox 360 graphics are no different from the previous PlayStation

where does this bullshit come from? Reports of the videogames industry are so fucking inaccurate it borders on propaganda

inthezone said:
Dude its gonna sell out completely at launch and in the first 6 months anyway...

For the costumer, Sony's strategy blows. For a company, its great. Besides they'll probably put the price down as soon as the manufacturing costs go down, if I remember correctly the PSP was making profit faster than Sony expected so the PS3 can't be that far.

It wont bomb. Unlike past dead systems they didn't have the biggest 3rd party support. Sony is has that and still has the franchises that sell to the average PS user, Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4, GT, GTA4 (multi but still). In the end gamers will buy the console that has the games they want and PS3 has most of those anyway...

Well, no doubt some people who dont have the money are going to wait, eve if it's a few years to buy a PS3. But the question is if they're going to wait to buy a 360 or Wii in all of that time? I mean, even if say, 20 million PS3s were guaranteed to be sold in the next 2 years, how many Wiis and 360s will be sold in that same timeframe?

MrSardonic said:
where does this bullshit come from? Reports of the videogames industry are so fucking inaccurate it borders on propaganda

it's the same thing that happened to the Dreamcast.

price difference alone gives the impression that the PS3 is superior technology.

MrSardonic said:

Get used to it. It's been here forever and it ain't going away. And I think based on the high end games we've seen on both systems and given the relative differences in dev kit situations, I don't know think that we can reach any conclusions on the two systems yet.

(Although, specifically regarding the 360 as essentially last gen is clearly an untrue swipe at it as it's not well thought of in Japan)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
anybody think that sony might change their minds on the price point after hearing how bent a lot of people are?

on the 1up podcast they were saying that sony people were concerened they had alienated some fans with the pricepoint, so obviously they are aware.

Top Bottom