• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony games chief Jim Ryan says PS5 offers a paradigm shift

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Not everyone's convinced by its black-white-and-glowing-blue design. But for many consumers, it's the games that count rather than the aesthetic appeal of the box.

Dozens were teased in an online event. But Sony is remaining tight-lipped about the machine's price.

Any new console will have a hard time navigating the tough economic waters that lie ahead, but Sony's reluctance to tell us how much its next machine will cost won't help consumers figure out if they can afford it.

But PlayStation chief executive Jim Ryan thinks gaming in general is relatively well-placed to weather the potentially financially tough times ahead.

The interview below has been edited for length and clarity.

Can you tell us a little bit about the PS5's design, because at first glance it looks more like something that you would find in the furniture section of a store rather than its consumer electronics zone?

The PlayStation sits in the living area of most homes, and we kind of felt it would be nice to provide a design that would really grace most living areas. That's what we've tried to do. And, you know, we think we've been successful in that.

How important are exclusives like Spider Man: Mile Morales and Gran Turismo 7 to this new machine?

Exclusive games are obviously one point of difference between our system and others.

But I really call out the criteria of quality rather than necessarily exclusivity. And when I look at our worldwide studios, it's really the quality of the work that they produce that counts.

At the moment, we seem to be talking about better graphics and faster load times, but what else does next-gen offer?

We think 3D audio is a paradigm shift. We think the functionality of the new controller, which again has to be experienced to be fully appreciated, is a paradigm shift. We think the the SSD [solid state drive] storage mechanism, and the way that it can actually help you move between worlds in games and eliminate loading times is a paradigm shift.

You know, we went to great lengths to show that off with considerable length in The Ratchet and Clank demo. You saw the way that Ratchet was moving from world to world. On previous generations, the character would have needed to walk down a corridor while loading was going on in the background. Now it just happens instantaneously.

I know previous generations have tended to be about better graphics, you know, greater grunt in the CPU [central processing unit]. But we think that we've got a number of features here that are going to enhance the sensory experience of the game and allow developers to do really cool and different things.

There was a really varied mix of games in the presentation - big PlayStation franchises, but also quite a bit of stuff from smaller studios, which seems quite an unusual decision for the very first gameplay reveal for a new console.

We wanted triple-A games that would fully demonstrate the horsepower of the machine. But some of these smaller games are making very cool and innovative use of the new features of the console. So we allowed the show to give a sense of the sheer range of gameplay experience that will be available on PlayStation 5. And this is just the start. There are so many more games that we have in development.

The box itself comes in two different flavours, a digital-only version, and one with a disc drive. Will there be a significant price difference?

You're not going to hear anything on price today. But many of our many of our consumers are purchasing solely digitally these days. We thought that we would do what we typically try and do, and just offer choice.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yes, I think it will offer a paradigm shift in both gaming experience (crazy visuals, loading times, 3D audio, haptics...) themselves and also for game development (a ton of time consuming tricks they had to do in the past now won't be needed, so it's going to greatly optimize their job for next gen exclusive games).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I plan to buy the disc version, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me to commit to all digital. It depends on is the disc version has other things.

mitch1971

On previous generations, the character would have needed to walk down a corridor while loading was going on in the background.

Now it just has to travel through a purple intradimension while the loading is going on in the background. Yeah, great paradigm shift mate.

How about adding up all the time you've had to wait this generation for a huge game of duplicated assetts to download, or dulicated game patch to download, the time it takes to boot up your console everytime, load up your numerous game, walk through pointless windy corridors, ride pointless lifts, wait to load in the same level after hundress of deaths. Now multiply those times 10 fold for the whole of last generation and compare it to what is possible for next gen. There is the shift.

Last edited:
I still think 3D audio is being overhyped.

It's going to be the next gen version of the Switch's HD Rumble.
Ehh. I think audio is pretty damn important to pretty much any kind of media. Good sound design elevates stuff.

The equivalent to HD Rumble if anything, is the "4K Rumble" haptic-feedback in the DualSense.

SaucyJack

On previous generations, the character would have needed to walk down a corridor while loading was going on in the background.

Now it just has to travel through a purple intradimension while the loading is going on in the background. Yeah, great paradigm shift mate.

So about 1 second vs what? 30, 60 seconds? Longer?

Dodkrake

Banned

Yeah, let's compare loading a small section of a world vs a whole new game world in the same (or smaller) timeframe. Totally apples to apples.

Need more salt?

Guilty_AI

How about adding up all the time you've had to wait this generation for a huge game of duplicated assetts to download, or dulicated game patch to download, the time it takes to boot up your console everytime, load up your numerous game, walk through pointless windy corridors, ride pointless lifts, wait to load in the same level after hundress of deaths. Now multiply those times 10 fold for the whole of last generation and compare it to what is possible for next gen. There is the shift.
You mean stuff that has existed for years with any SSD you can buy in the market? Perhaps you're also talking about seamless open world games like GTA SA on the ps2?
Its definitely a good evolution from last gen, its also more convenient for developers but they really should stop pretending they reinvented the wheel here.

It is though, for both consoles. Sure, they went to the extreme with RnC by showing whole worlds loading up, which is great for that game.

For me and many others, been able to walk in to a small house or shop, without loading, in a game like Skyrim is a paradigm shift.

Pillars of Eternity is a fucking nightmare on consoles after 5+ hours of playing. Every area takes between 15-20 seconds to load up, on an X! Give me instant load times to increase the QoL of games and i'm happy.

Guilty_AI

It is though, for both consoles. Sure, they went to the extreme with RnC by showing whole worlds loading up, which is great for that game.

For me and many others, been able to walk in to a small house or shop, without loading, in a game like Skyrim is a paradigm shift.

Pillars of Eternity is a fucking nightmare on consoles after 5+ hours of playing. Every area takes between 15-20 seconds to load up, on an X! Give me instant load times to increase the QoL of games and i'm happy.
I'm not saying its a bad thing, but saying its a "paradigm shift" is an exageration to say the least. GTA4 had a seamless open world with no loading times when entering buildings. Besides, the whole thing with smaller loading times isn't new, SSDs have been on the market for years now.

longdi

Banned
I know previous generations have tended to be about better graphics, you know, greater grunt in the CPU [central processing unit]. But we think that we've got a number of features here that are going to enhance the sensory experience of the game and allow developers to do really cool and different things.

Lol pre-empting you have lousier graphics? :goog_hugging_face:

Raonak

Banned
It'll take a little while for game engines to adjust to to the strengths of the new hardware.

from a game developer perspective, guaranteed SSD is a gamechanger.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but saying its a "paradigm shift" is an exageration to say the least. GTA4 had a seamless open world with no loading times when entering buildings. Besides, the whole thing with smaller loading times isn't new, SSDs have been on the market for years now.
Not in the console space. If you're a PC gamer, then you've seen the 'consolisation' of games over the past decade, to the point where PC gamers are held back (game mechanics wise) to what the consoles can do. Having SSD's on consoles is a paradigm shift, we can get back to some level of parity between PC and Console mechanically.

I do believe it will be a paradigm shift, not because of X game will use Y technique but because all games across all platforms will benefit.

VALCON 82

So i have looked on other threads and can't seem to find anything regarding this question,.
Sony is offering standard PS5 and an all digital PS5..

if i purchase a game physically is there a "code" that would carry over via my PSN account to the all digital PS5 that says i can just download said game onto that device (under my registration) after all i own the game.

Hypothetically i am thinking of getting a launch PS5 but might get an all digital down the road for my kids..

i feel like im sounding very confusing and i know this won't affect the lion share of PS5 adopters/owners. just a thought..

Can you tell us a little bit about the PS5's design, because at first glance it looks more like something that you would find in the furniture section of a store rather than its consumer electronics zone?
Lmao the design is so bad even the ass kissing journalists are calling it out.

ethomaz

Banned
I pretty much saw how the use of SSDs changes the games... I even spotted that in the Racket Clank video.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The PlayStation sits in the living area of most homes, and we kind of felt it would be nice to provide a design that would really grace most living areas. That's what we've tried to do. And, you know, we think we've been successful in that.
They really were.
Congrats.
The machine design is a gorgeous desire... now release it because my living room is ready already.

Raonak

Banned
So i have looked on other threads and can't seem to find anything regarding this question,.
Sony is offering standard PS5 and an all digital PS5..

if i purchase a game physically is there a "code" that would carry over via my PSN account to the all digital PS5 that says i can just download said game onto that device (under my registration) after all i own the game.

Hypothetically i am thinking of getting a launch PS5 but might get an all digital down the road for my kids..

i feel like im sounding very confusing and i know this won't affect the lion share of PS5 adopters/owners. just a thought..

No, you need to buy games digitally to be able to play them on a digital edition down the line.

Gamernyc78

Banned
"There are so many more games that we have in development"

💯💯💯💯

Any person with a brain should this but even if there aren't what I saw yesterday made me happy and a buyer day one. So much variety and quality and something for everyone except fps shooter but I'm sure we get tht soon plus multiplats fps shooters like Doom, COD, Metro, have been filling tht very well.

Guilty_AI

The game design for R&C would have taken a nosedive without the SSD.

Not hard to understand
Not if you used lesser quality assets, in fact, some games did have this kind of fast transition even as far back as the ps360. Yes, you could argue that being able to use better looking stuff is an advantage, but then it goes back to the exact same kind of improvement we see every gen. Just better looking games, no real paradigm shift.

Not in the console space. If you're a PC gamer, then you've seen the 'consolisation' of games over the past decade, to the point where PC gamers are held back (game mechanics wise) to what the consoles can do. Having SSD's on consoles is a paradigm shift, we can get back to some level of parity between PC and Console mechanically.

I do believe it will be a paradigm shift, not because of X game will use Y technique but because all games across all platforms will benefit.
I do agree it'll be good for every platform in the end. The thing is there's no real change in the way games'll work, just better looking stuff, maybe more detailed worlds, but this is just par for the course. There's no real revolution going on here, perhaps at the developers side there is since a lot of the new stuff like Ray tracing makes their job easier, but the games themselves aren't going to be much different just because of all this new tech.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
They really were.
Congrats.
The machine design is a gorgeous desire... now release it because my living room is ready already.

Ima center mine around it lol it helps my optima projector is white, favio screen white black, Xbox s is white, etc...

"There are so many more games that we have in development"

💯💯💯💯

Any person with a brain should this but even if there aren't what I saw yesterday made me happy and a buyer day one. So much variety and quality and something for everyone except fps shooter but I'm sure we get tht soon plus multiplats fps shooters like Doom, COD, Metro, have been filling tht very well.
I have a feeling Sony held back some its' games for another show. I have the same feeling that Microsoft did the same.

Is It a coincidence that Sony showed no FPS shooter games and Microsoft didn't show Halo?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They're pretty much doing the same things they have always done. And even with the SSD, it's only a change in speed.

So, it's not a paradigm shift.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I have a feeling Sony held back some its' games for another show. I have the same feeling that Microsoft did the same.

Is It a coincidence that Sony showed no FPS shooter games and Microsoft didn't show Halo?

Yeah I am happy as Is but I'm sure thy have things spread out and paced for other presentations. I'm sure around the hardware dive we'll also get a few gems they have hidden, actually probably heavy hitters. The day before there were a few tweets about presentation day being a big day for Cory but we saw nothing. I think thy cut it out last minute, also u could tell Shu demon souls was suppose to end the show bcus he said as much but then we saw few extra things. Editing and editing out went on close to the date for sure.

We still have God of War 2 ahead, new guerilla game besides Horizon, Potentially Naughty Dog space game, etc most of these established devs have two to three teams.

Last edited:
I do agree it'll be good for every platform in the end. The thing is there's no real change in the way games'll work, just better looking stuff, maybe more detailed worlds, but this is just par for the course. There's no real revolution going on here, perhaps at the developers side there is since a lot of the new stuff like Ray tracing makes their job easier, but the games themselves aren't going to be much different just because of all this new tech.
I agree to some extent. The games shown were just current gen games on steroids, which is a common theme for any reveal really. What's made things more difficult for gamers is no E3. Microsoft and Sony have the freedom to show little bits off at a time, goading one another in to a tit-for-tat war. That means we see less of the mind-blowing stuff straight away.

The devs will need to time to understand what the SSD means for games, where they can utilise the resource the best to make what changes to what games and how. I would imagine that the more detailed worlds become worlds filled with more companions and bigger battles. I want 99 nights to be looked at as 'small scale'. IMO we won't see any games take full control of the mechanical advantage until 2021/22.

What we haven't seen is what this tech means for VR. If we can warp/teleport around to the point where it doesn't induce sea-sickness/VR negative effects, then that could be the paradigm shift? We won't know for sure

All we do know for sure, is that this generation will be a greater leap than 360/ps3:xbone/ps4, and that will be a huge bonus to PC and console players alike

Dr Bass

Lmao the design is so bad even the ass kissing journalists are calling it out.

Yeah that's not the case. It's a great looking device IMO. Also, based on his answer I bet you a lot of women/wives (ask, the "WAF") would prefer it over the xbox in the living room. Do you honestly think Sony doesn't know what they are doing? They earn billions on this stuff. But yeah, ok, "lol, it's so bad!" Should have consulted with you first obviously!

Gamernyc78

Banned
I love them both and am a little torn between digital and regular but ima go with disc drive one because of bc and all ps4 games I have physically. I'll just get my son digital as we share his games so we buy most digital.

Yeah that's not the case. It's a great looking device IMO. Also, based on his answer I bet you a lot of women/wives (ask, the "WAF") would prefer it over the xbox in the living room. Do you honestly think Sony doesn't know what they are doing? They earn billions on this stuff. But yeah, ok, "lol, it's so bad!" Should have consulted with you first obviously!
Lol what is this comment? Sony makes billions so your not allowed to have an opinion that their console looks bad!

Not if you used lesser quality assets, in fact, some games did have this kind of fast transition even as far back as the ps360. Yes, you could argue that being able to use better looking stuff is an advantage, but then it goes back to the exact same kind of improvement we see every gen. Just better looking games, no real paradigm shift.

What type of games have done the same level of fast transitioning like we saw in R&C?

And even then, the biggest paradigm shift is from the developer's POV, not the players

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It is potentially huge in regards to level design, though.

Guilty_AI

What type of games have done the same level of seamlessly transitioning like we saw in R&C?
In Driver San Francisco you could instantly possess any car you wished in a huge map, even if it was in the other side town. Titanfall 2 had an entire level dedicated to instantly jumping through time, Layers of Fear had crazy enviroment changes that happened as fast as you turned the camera.

And even then, the biggest paradigm shift is from the developer's POV, not the players
I actually do agree with this, especially with Ray tracing.

Is it opposite day?

They showed some games off in May. They have another even in July and August, same as Sony. Both companies will one-up the other, ever so slightly, until the console drops for retail.
That was a third party conference...of course Halo Infinite wasn't shown, they didn't "hold back," it was a THIRD PARTY CONFERENCE.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sorry, not seeing it Jim. Saying it doesn't make it real. They don't even have a single launch game worth taking about.

Top Bottom