• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony games chief Jim Ryan says PS5 offers a paradigm shift

Dr Bass

Lol what is this comment? Sony makes billions so your not allowed to have an opinion that their console looks bad!

The point is there is a reason they go for the designs they do. They have a multi billion dollar business that depends on them to make the right decisions. And given plenty of people think it's a good looking device, I'd say they pretty much succeeded. And again, I guarantee you this tested well with a lot of different demographics to ensure it would be something people of all types and ages were willing to put in their living room.

You can think it's bad all you want but "lol bad even journalists say so!" is just not an opinion that has any merit. As if journalists were interior decorators, designers, etc. Also plenty of journalists like it. So yeah ... not a very meaningful take. Thoughtful reason should at least accompany any kind of expressed opinion ... in ... my opinion. :pie_thinking:

In Driver San Francisco you could instantly possess any car you wished in a huge map, even if it was in the other side town. Titanfall 2 had an entire level dedicated to instantly jumping through time, Layers of Fear had crazy enviroment changes that happened as fast as you turned the camera.

I don't see how any of those examples reach the same level as R&C.

Titanfall 2 comes closest but is limited by not just the quality of assets, but the number of assets too. Whatever tricks they used to achieve that is impressive, but there's only so many tricks you can use before you reach a point it becomes impossible to achieve what you want. The paradigm shifts are getting rid of the need to use those tricks to achieve the same feats, and in addition to that, be able to do these things on a scale not possible before.

The point is there is a reason they go for the designs they do. They have a multi billion dollar business that depends on them to make the right decisions. And given plenty of people think it's a good looking device, I'd say they pretty much succeeded. And again, I guarantee you this tested well with a lot of different demographics to ensure it would be something people of all types and ages were willing to put in their living room.

You can think it's bad all you want but "lol bad even journalists say so!" is just not an opinion that has any merit. As if journalists were interior decorators, designers, etc. Also plenty of journalists like it. So yeah ... not a very meaningful take. Thoughtful reason should at least accompany any kind of expressed opinion ... in ... my opinion. :pie_thinking:
Your trying to make the argument that my opinion has no merit because Sony must have focus tested the design against different demographics of people?
MCf4XO9.jpg

The console looks like a huge fucking router. The X1 looked like a VCR were you defending that design too because it was focus tested? Anyone that criticizes the design of anything that a billion dollar company comes out with their opinion has no merit!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was a third party conference...of course Halo Infinite wasn't shown, they didn't "hold back," it was a THIRD PARTY CONFERENCE.

Dude, your arguing yourself in circles. Just stop.

They will both be showing more, the prices were not even announced yet, or the dates, or the exact launch lineups.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Shown on XSX system at an XSX event, hyped up Xbox division heads?

Yeah, totally not a MS conference.
I never said it wasn't a MS conference...what is going on? Am I being trolled? Your saying they held back showing Halo when all they've had so far is a third party conference. Nothing was held back, it was never any possibility of the game being at that third party conference.

Last edited:
Dude, your arguing yourself in circles. Just stop.

They will both be showing more, the prices were not even announced yet, or the dates, or the exact launch lineups.

Why is this so hard to understand?
What are you talking about? Am I in bizarro world? What do you think I'm having a hard time understanding?

Your trying to make the argument that my opinion has no merit because Sony must have focus tested the design against different demographics of people?
MCf4XO9.jpg

The console looks like a huge fucking router. The X1 looked like a VCR were you defending that design too because it was focus tested? Anyone that criticizes the design of anything that a billion dollar company comes out with their opinion has no merit!

It was mocked for looking like a VCR because VCRs are old and ancient

Sony's looks sleek and futuristic, like a lot of modern routers too

I never said it wasn't a MS conference...what is going on? Am I being trolled?
I'm thinking the same. Let' s start over :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Both Sony and Microsoft will be holding back their best games as to win the mindshare of people, that makes sense. The 'paradigm shift' of the PS5 in this case, will be shown with their super-blockbuster games. Everyone can agree that other than Horizon, nothing was shown from Sony that could be considered as a console seller.

Same with MS when they showed their stuff off at their conference.

In July, Microsoft will start to wheel out the big-guns and we will see their version of a Paradigm shift, probably in Halo.

Then Sony will show a bit, then MS, then Sony...

The reason for this tit-for-tat, IMO, Is the lack of E3. If both companies had to be on stage and showcase their best stuff - As E3 is usually the best/first/last chance to win an audience/journalists/gamers over.

Both Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer have seen more than we have. Both will have seen the pinnacle of what their consoles can do right now and both will be hyping them from that PoV and not one from 6 months ago.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you're not gonna answer my question...

Dude, all people are saying is they are leapfrogging each other, and you are making excuses or arguing in semantics to it.

MS will show more this next go round, and so will Sony as well. It's a tit for tat game with them right now. There does not need to be so much mental gymnastics to try and think this was Sony's end all be all, any more than the one prior was MS's.

We still have pricing, launch lineups, release dates, etc., to come yet.

Astral Dog

MCf4XO9.jpg

This one looks cute, the PS5 wishes it looked as sleek as that

I'm thinking the same. Let' s start over :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Both Sony and Microsoft will be holding back their best games as to win the mindshare of people, that makes sense. The 'paradigm shift' of the PS5 in this case, will be shown with their super-blockbuster games. Everyone can agree that other than Horizon, nothing was shown from Sony that could be considered as a console seller.

Same with MS when they showed their stuff off at their conference.

In July, Microsoft will start to wheel out the big-guns and we will see their version of a Paradigm shift, probably in Halo.

Then Sony will show a bit, then MS, then Sony...

The reason for this tit-for-tat, IMO, Is the lack of E3. If both companies had to be on stage and showcase their best stuff - As E3 is usually the best/first/last chance to win an audience/journalists/gamers over.

Both Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer have seen more than we have. Both will have seen the pinnacle of what their consoles can do right now and both will be hyping them from that PoV and not one from 6 months ago.
Your exact words were Microsoft held off showing Halo Infinite at their conference. That was the only point I addressed. They had a third party conference that had zero possibility of Halo Infinite being shown. It wasn't held back from that conference.

Dude, all people are saying is they are leapfrogging each other, and you are making excuses or arguing in semantics to it.

MS will show more this next go round, and so will Sony as well. It's a tit for tat game with them right now. There does not need to be so much mental gymnastics to try and think this was Sony's end all be all, any more than the one prior was MS's.

We still have pricing, launch lineups, release dates, etc., to come yet.
That's never what my initial post or any of my posts were about and its not what I addressed. I think you need to relax, breathe, in through the nose slowly for 3 seconds, hold for 2, out through the mouth slowly for 3 seconds.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Your exact words were Microsoft held off showing Halo Infinite at their conference. That was the only point I addressed. They had a third party conference that had zero possibility of Halo Infinite being shown. It wasn't held back from that conference.

That's never what my initial post or any of my posts were about and its not what I addressed. I think you need to relax, breathe, in through the nose slowly for 3 seconds, hold for 2, out through the mouth slowly for 3 seconds.

Benn relaxed. Already a few steps ahead of you, in the future.

They could have shown a trailer, they didn't. They didn't show anything from 3rd parties that was particularly spectacular. They aren't going to blow their load on day one. That was my point. Neither company will unleash a bombardment of AAA system-sellers until the other one does.

They could have shown a trailer, they didn't. They didn't show anything from 3rd parties that was particularly spectacular. They aren't going to blow their load on day one. That was my point. Neither company will unleash a bombardment of AAA system-sellers until the other one does.
I agree let's leave it there, I'm taking a break from this thread.

thelastword

Banned
Definitely, hardware wise, software wise, we will see that more as this gen goes on.....That haptic controller, 3D audio, camera and VR should all contribute to the evolution this gen.

Guilty_AI

I don't see how any of those examples reach the same level as R&C.

Titanfall 2 comes closest but is limited by not just the quality of assets, but the number of assets too. Whatever tricks they used to achieve that is impressive, but there's only so many tricks you can use before you reach a point it becomes impossible to achieve what you want. The paradigm shifts are getting rid of the need to use those tricks to achieve the same feats, and in addition to that, be able to do these things on a scale not possible before.
The level of seamlessly transition is the same, its just the quality and variety of assets thats lower, but it still happens as fast and naturally. Just look at this gameplay snippet of Driver San Francisco, made to run on X360 and PS3 (with the footage from the video being taken from a x360), and tell me if those aren't some quality fast transitions between different distant points of the map. And this isn't even the entire world of the game that also includes some industrial areas and mountains with dirt tracks, that you can also teleport to and from just as fast:

As I said, with current tech you can do those things using higher quality assets, but thats not much different than going "yay, games will look better now". There's no game changer in this, no paradigm shift.

Last edited:
The level of seamlessly transition is the same, its just the quality and variety of assets thats lower, but it still happens as fast and naturally. Just look at this gameplay snippet of Driver San Francisco, made to run on X360 and PS3, and tell me if those aren't some quality fast transitions between different points of the map. And this isn't even the entire map of the game that also includes some industrial areas and mountains with dirt tracks, that you can also teleport to and from just as fast:

As I said, with current tech you can do those things using higher quality assets, but thats not much different than going "yay, games will look better now". There's no game changer in this, no paradigm shift.

It's not just about "looking better" its the actual variety and scale of levels. Don't pretend that you can achieve the scope that R&C is going for using the same tricks as they're using to switch between cars

You're not grasping this isn't just typical asset streaming here. These are entire levels, and everything that comes with moving between these levels

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's not just about "looking better" its the actual variety of scale of levels. Don't pretend that you can achieve the scope that R&C is going for using the same tricks as they're using to switch between cars

You're not grasping this isn't just assets here. These are entire levels, and everything that comes with moving between these levels
What's even the scope of R&C? If its just switching between levels at fixed points in the map as it looked like in the gameplay, Mario 64 did that in 1996 and it was also a pretty fast transition. And what are levels if not an assembly of assets in the first place, assuming the game still works the same mechanicaly.
Yes, the scale can be bigger, the visuals can be better and more varied, but lets not pretend they're doing something that has never been done here.

Last edited:
What's even the scope of R&C? If its just switching between levels at fixed points in the map as it looked like in the gameplay, Mario 64 did that in 1996 and it was also a pretty fast transition. And what are levels if not an assembly of assets in the first place, assuming the game still works the same mechanicaly.
Yes, the scale can be bigger, the visuals can be better and more varied, but lets not pretend they're doing something that has never been done here.

Sounds like the basis of your argument is the SSD is no big deal because we could do all this if we regressed back to N64 level of games.

Like sure. If we make games as simple as possible there's no need to have an SSD. But we're talking in the context of modern games here

I never said it wasn't a MS conference...what is going on? Am I being trolled? Your saying they held back showing Halo when all they've had so far is a third party conference. Nothing was held back, it was never any possibility of the game being at that third party conference.

"Sony reiterated that more events are planned between now and the PS5 launch this fall, including when it'll discuss pricing, launch date and other details."

Both Sony and Microsoft still have things to show. I doubt that Sony is just going to reveal the price and nothing else at their next event. They will probably show us more software and the features of the system.

Guilty_AI

Sounds like the basis of your argument is the SSD is no big deal because we could do all this if we regressed back to N64 level of games.

Like sure. If we make games as simple as possible there's no need to have an SSD. But we're talking in the context of modern games here
I'm precisely saying that using a SSD serves mainly as just one way to help games look better.
Which leads to the question: Where exactly is the paradigm change? How is this any different from a 'normal' evolution from one gen to another where we just get the same types of games with better visuals?

Last edited:
Top Bottom