• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is kinda lazy when it comes to naming their consoles

onQ123

Atari 2600 , Atari 5200 , Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar

NES , Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 , Gamecube , Wii , Wii U , Switch

Sega Master System , Sega Genesis , Sega Saturn, Dreamcast

Xbox , Xbox 360 , Xbox One , Xbox Series S/X

PlayStation , PlayStation 2 , PlayStation 3 , PlayStation 4 , PlayStation 5 and I have a feeling their next console will be PlayStation 6

Confused Channel 5 GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a really good name.

It would be very risky to get rid of it. However, Nintendo did get rid of the Gameboy brand. They are more courageous than most companies though.

It's a really good name.

It would be very risky to get rid of it. However, Nintendo did get rid of the Gameboy brand. They are more courageous than most companies though.
Bc their principal gaming brand is Nintendo. No one call the other consoles "Microsoft Xbox Series X" or "Sony PlayStation 5"

OZ9000

Banned
Atari 2600 , Atari 5200 , Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar

NES , Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 , Gamecube , Wii , Wii U , Switch

Sega Master System , Sega Genesis , Sega Saturn, Dreamcast

Xbox , Xbox 360 , Xbox One , Xbox Series S/X

PlayStation , PlayStation 2 , PlayStation 3 , PlayStation 4 , PlayStation 5 and I have a feeling their next console will be PlayStation 6
Ah right, nothing more fantastic than the Xbox One X and and the new gen console Xbox Series X.

If there is one thing Sony do right, it's the naming system of their consoles.

Straight forward and to the point.

HYDE

Banned
It's called consistency. Much better than the random Xbox naming circus.
They’re worried that if their name is a number behind Sony’s, then they’re always a generation behind - XBOX vs PS2 - XBOX 2 vs PS3 - XBOX 3 vs PS4 - XBOX 4 vs PS5…blah blah blah.

Nintendo needs to release the Nintendo 8, as it’s next system, and put Sony two generations behind, Lol! 😂

Last edited:

The Shepard

Yea but no one will ever get confused with which console they want to buy. Simple and effective. I bet they woulda rather called the psvita the psp2 as well with how that ended up.

Now probably the most confusing are the Wii and Wii u, Xbox one with the original Xbox and the Xbox one X/s with the Xbox series X/s which I sometimes give the wrong name to still.

Last edited:

onQ123

It works bc it’s simple and to the point. Even now I still get confused with how Xbox names their consoles (Series X, One X, Xbox One, Series S? Wtf!)
I kid you not my grownup cousin didn't know if he had a Xbox Series X or Series S when he needed me to fix it for him . He showed up with the Series S & I had to point out to him that the Series X is the black one with more power.

skit_data

I think it’s good. It’s simple and it works-even people that aren’t into gaming have a rough sense of which Playstation console is the newest and which ones are older. PS Vita is the odd one out and to be frank I think it sticks out like a sore thumb in a family of systems that all have great names otherwise. It’s also great that it can be stylized in such a simple way.
Look at Wii U, that name confused the hell out of people and was probably one of the factors that contributed to its failure. Xbox One is another example of a wierd name, now you pretty much have to specify ”The original Xbox”.

And don’t even get me started on the region-specific names of Sega consoles. That’s confusing as hell!

Ar¢tos

You could have called Sony off on so many topics, like stupid policies regarding mod support, abandonment of great IPs, treatment of the Vita and bad design decisions regarding the Vita, etc, but instead, you pick one thing they have done right since the Ps2 was launched.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Their janitorial staff is also not good at maintaining the smell pods in the urinals often letting a day or two pass after expire. I can smell the lemon freshness from that 2-8 day mark is when those pods lost 37.6% of their potency and studies show that in the winter months they decay at a rate of 2.4% faster in the northern hemisphere.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Shut your whore mouth OP

I swear to god if they name the next console the PlayStation Euphoria or some other dumb ass time encapsulated catch phase that won’t age well breaking their consistency in naming I’m going to track you down and Taken your ass like I’m Liam Nieson terrible old man limp running and all

20 years back when I was still an undergrad, I remembered the really good professors, whether it was an intro design class or even a freshman English class, would tell you to keep it simple with a straightforward message, or you would lose and possibly confuse the audience. The Wii U is a great example of this confusion. Apple and Sony are the clear market leaders within their industry and their main product is simple and to the point with its message especially with its successive hardwares. No confusion there.

Mung

You're right they should have had a completely baffling naming system like Microsoft. Series s, one, one S, one x, series x, 360!

Maybe you're being facetious, but calling it 'lazy' misses the point entirely.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I spend a probably irresponsible amount of time playing games and following this industry.... and I still get confused by the Xbox names lol.

Top Bottom