• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is the best publisher of the decade

Jtibh

Banned
I think Sony made the Great Wall of China too.

Did you even care to check any of the things you wrote btw?

So many random, incorrect things, i really can`t bother to mess with this XD
Ok lets hear it . Whats incorrect? Please educate me.
I will cross reference all your points on google of course

Jtibh

Banned
I think Sony made the Great Wall of China too.

Did you even care to check any of the things you wrote btw?

So many random, incorrect things, i really can`t bother to mess with this XD
And enzo.

Alt accounts are shit dont you think??

Joined 2016 with 480 post........

No please educate me.

Enzo88

You can laugh as much as you want but as long as you cant argue about why sony makes movie games with zero gameplay etc etc but nintendo is king with the 40th mario game i really dont care
How old are you?
Can you read?
Can you show me when did i say that?

I am saying, from a gameplay\ game design\ level design perspective, new ip does not necessarily mean you`re playing something new and old ip does not mean you are playing something that feels old.

If you can`t understand this much, i don`t know what to tell you.

In the while you went on a rant to give Sony praise for the survival horror genre, motion controls, metal gear, gta, final fantasy, etc. etc. which is total nonsense.

I hope that at least they pass you some money for all this effort and passion, take a deep breath dammit XD

Last edited:

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Ok lets hear it . Whats incorrect? Please educate me.
I will cross reference all your points on google of course
Only thing I want to comment on: Wii came out in 2006. PS Move came out in 2010. PS Move and Kinect were both a reaction to Wii's success. Wii was the "Revolution" or... the beginning of the dark days of motion control taking over.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me nintendo is for kids xbox is for online shooters and sony is everything in between.
God, you sound like one of those people who thinks act of playing video games is "childish". Nintendo games are enjoyable, since when someone enjoy playing Nintendo games makes them "childish"?

I think we way past the age trying too hard to "grown up".

Jtibh

Banned
How old are you?
Can you read?
Can you show me when did i say that?

I am saying, from a gameplay\ game design\ level design perspective, new ip does not necessarily mean you`re playing something new and old ip does not mean you are playing something that feels old.

If you can`t understand this much, i don`t know what to tell you.

In the while you went on a rant to give Sony praise for the survival horror genre, motion controls, metal gear, gta, final fantasy, etc. etc. which is total nonsense.

I hope that at least they pass you some money for all this effort and passion.
Again please tell me what was incorrect about what i wrote survivor horror etc .
Lets start there.

I gave you my statement which you reject

Thats ok ,if i am wrong i will correct myself.

But you have to give me your statement as well as of why.

And if you could read mister alt account you would know how old i am since i clearly wrote i game since 1984 . You as far as i can tell you were still swimming in your daddy at that time

Jtibh

Banned
Only thing I want to comment on: Wii came out in 2006. PS Move came out in 2010. PS Move and Kinect were both a reaction to Wii's success. Wii was the "Revolution" or... the beginning of the dark days of motion control taking over.
Very wrong.

Sony had a prototype psmove for the ps2 bit never made it mainstream

The eyetoy again was way before kinect and again started on ps2.

The wii took it to the next level

Jtibh

Banned
God, you sound like one of those people who thinks act of playing video games is "childish". Nintendo games are enjoyable, since when someone enjoy playing Nintendo games makes them "childish"?

No not at all.

Not saying nintendo games are childish. They are great games. For all ages.

I just say they have no other hardcore games or mature games and for me i just need it all.

Shrennin

Very wrong.

Sony had a prototype psmove for the ps2 bit never made it mainstream

The eyetoy again was way before kinect and again started on ps2.

The wii took it to the next level

Was it this?

Which was still after Wii?

And regardless, a prototype that never makes it to market or mainstream means nothing in the grand scheme of things when Wii made it popular. Otherwise, some of your other points would be moot as well (claiming that Sony made survival horror mainstream even though it was on Saturn). The fact that when you mention motion control, most people are going to think Wii will tell you which company made that particular impact on the industry.

Kinect itself was a response to Wii directly, not the Eye Toy. The Eye Toy was indeed out way before the Kinect. I'm not disputing that. The Wii was not trying to replicate the Eye Toy though. Kinect was trying to replicate the Wii but with something extra to try to differentiate (the camera aspect). Everyone wanted that Wii success. Even Nintendo was afraid to let go, which is one reason the Wii U did so awful.

In truth, all of these companies prototype a lot of things. It's the ones that actually bring it to market and commit that matters though. I'm sure Microsoft has prototyped VR for Xbox, and have clearly decided to not go in that direction. At least not yet. Microsoft kind of said why - they believe VR needs to be wireless completely with no external cameras needed before VR is viable.

Last edited:

Enzo88

Again please tell me what was incorrect about what i wrote survivor horror etc .
Lets start there.

I gave you my statement which you reject

Thats ok ,if i am wrong i will correct myself.

But you have to give me your statement as well as of why.

And if you could read mister alt account you would know how old i am since i clearly wrote i game since 1984 . You as far as i can tell you were still swimming in your daddy at that time
I don`t even know what an alt account is haha.

Do i owe you explanations on how much i post on the internet? I don`t get it.

I don`t care when is the first time you wrote on this forum, what`s this nepotism about? XD

I was questioning your age judging your replies and train of thought. It seems that you really care about passing for an adult according to what you play, which is a trait i usually associate with younger people.

If that offended you, i am sorry.

That said, let me understand, do you actually believe sony has anything to do with the creation of the survival horror genre?
That`s exactly why i am not gonna bother, if this basic stuff needs explaining, i can`t help you. Post less and learn more i guess, the internet is your friend.

Jtibh

Banned
I don`t even know what an alt account is haha.

Do i owe you explanations on how much i post on the internet? I don`t get it.

I don`t care when is the first time you wrote on this forum, what`s this nepotism about? XD

I was questioning your age judging your replies and train of thought. It seems that you really care about passing for an adult according to what you play, which is a trait i usually associate with younger people.

If that offended you, i am sorry.

That said, let me understand, do you actually believe sony has anything to do with the creation of the survival horror genre?
That`s exactly why i am not gonna bother, if this basic stuff needs explaining, i can`t help you. Post less and learn more i guess, the internet is your friend.
Yes sony established the therm survival horror by making it popular in the first place.

Sony did not invent horror adventure games with fixed camera angles ,no that was done with alone in the dark.

Sony just made the therm survival horror mainstream with resident evil. Yes capcom game but the psone was the big hit everyone owned and thanks to that the audience was there.
You dont have to bother with me but then dont write me.

Suck it up, say what an idiot i am in your head and move on.

I am 40 btw.

Handel

People who treat Nintendo as a "kiddie company" and act like the games they play make them mature always remind me of this C.S. Lewis quote :

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Jtibh

Banned
Was it this?

Which was still after Wii?

And regardless, a prototype that never makes it to market or mainstream means nothing in the grand scheme of things when Wii made it popular. Otherwise, some of your other points would be moot as well (claiming that Sony made survival horror mainstream even though it was on Saturn). The fact that when you mention motion control, most people are going to think Wii will tell you which company made that particular impact on the industry.
No thats not it.

The guys who demonstrate that demo are the same guy who went on creating the psmove and psvr etc.

This article of yours is from 2007 but my video os from 2004 or 2005 and it was a demo done on the eyetoy. Basically using the eyetoy as a tracking device for the proto type move.

But nintendo did it better and cheaper with the sensor bar

Lemondish

Sony hasn't made a game this decade thats better than BOTW. So Nintendo takes that title

Also, Death Stranding is garbage. I don't listen to anyone that thinks the glorified UPS simulator is a better game than Sekiro
BotW was so boring and had some boneheaded, downright insulting mechanics. I played 10 hours and saw everything there was to see in that game. An overrated game IMHO. Immortals was more enjoyable.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No not at all.

Not saying nintendo games are childish. They are great games. For all ages.

I just say they have no other hardcore games or mature games and for me i just need it all.
What games exactly considered "hardcore"? I'm pretty sure games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain are not aim at people who mostly play Fortnite or Minecraft.

Shrennin

No thats not it.

The guys who demonstrate that demo are the same guy who went on creating the psmove and psvr etc.

This article of yours is from 2007 but my video os from 2004 or 2005 and it was a demo done on the eyetoy. Basically using the eyetoy as a tracking device for the proto type move.

But nintendo did it better and cheaper with the sensor bar
The video said it was from 2010 (or rather showed it was posted in 2010), so that's why I wondered. The person who posted that video claims it's from 2003.

But for all we know Nintendo was also prototyping the Wii motion control back then too (they would almost have to be for a console releasing in 2006 based around motion control). The point of the matter is that Nintendo brought it first to market in 2006 out of the big three. It was known for a while Nintendo was doing something different. The code name for Wii was "Revolution" after all. Speculation included VR. It ended up being motion control. Revolution was formally announced at E3 2004, by the way. So if Nintendo knew that the Revolution was motion control, then prototyping would have been a few years before even that in 2004 when Nintendo was confident enough to announce it.

Also, RIP Iwata :(

Last edited:

Enzo88

Yes sony established the therm survival horror by making it popular in the first place.

Sony did not invent horror adventure games with fixed camera angles ,no that was done with alone in the dark.

Sony just made the therm survival horror mainstream with resident evil. Yes capcom game but the psone was the big hit everyone owned and thanks to that the audience was there.
You dont have to bother with me but then dont write me.

Suck it up, say what an idiot i am in your head and move on.

I am 40 btw.
So Sony gets the merits for every third party ever released on their console? Just by assuming that those games would have never released or would have never have been as successful on other platforms? Pretty sound logic right there i guess.

If i were to go through this absurd way of thinking, i could argue that there would be no console market in the first place for that audience and no Capcom making console games, if other companies did not save/carry the market until the ps1 showed up.

And honestly, i don`t wanna go down that route cause it`s just some fanboy, console war crap that leads to no new insight about anything.

Further proof of this, we are already at the prototypes war.

If you enjoy basking in these type of discourse go ahead, it`s not my stuff and we are diverging from my original point and the thread itself by a lot.

Jtibh

Banned
What games exactly considered "hardcore"? I'm pretty sure games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain are not aim at people who mostly play Fortnite

The video said it was from 2010 (or rather showed it was posted in 2010), so that's why I wondered. The person who posted that video claims it's from 2003.

But for all we know Nintendo was also prototyping the Wii motion control back then too (they would almost have to be for a console releasing in 2006 based around motion control). The point of the matter is that Nintendo brought it first to market in 2006 out of the big three. It was known for a while Nintendo was doing something different. The code name for Wii was "Revolution" after all. Speculation included VR. It ended up being motion control. Revolution was formally announced at E3 2004, by the way.

The video was uploaded in 2010 but psmove was to my knowledge, at least thats when i saw it in 2004.

Pseye was already in retail by that time and this was an extention of it but ps3 came along and it was ditched though sixaxis a variant of motion control was demod prior to the wii mote.

Shrennin

The video was uploaded in 2010 but psmove was to my knowledge, at least thats when i saw it in 2004.

Pseye was already in retail by that time and this was an extention of it but ps3 came along and it was ditched though sixaxis a variant of motion control was demod prior to the wii mote.

I'm not going to get into this much more, but Sixasis was revealed at E3 2006. Nintendo Wii was officially unveiled at E3 2005. Revolution, which was the Wii, was first announced at E3 2004.

But I don't consider Sixaxis to be motion control, or even a form of it in terms of making gamers think that the controller is an extension of their own hand. It was really something that existed because, if I recall, Sony couldn't use rumble at the time and needed something comparable.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
So Sony gets the merits for every third party ever released on their console? Just by assuming that those games would have never released or would have never have been as successful on other platforms? Pretty sound logic right there i guess.

If i were to go through this absurd way of thinking, i could argue that there would be no console market in the first place for that audience and no Capcom making console games, if other companies did not save/carry the market until the ps1 showed up.

And honestly, i don`t wanna go down that route cause it`s just some fanboy, console war crap that leads to no new insight about anything.

If you enjoy basking in these type of discourse go ahead, it`s not my stuff and we are diverging from my original point and the thread itself by a lot.
You seem very but very insecure and petty to be frank.

And you clearly didnt live or werent old enough to remember the 16 to 32 bit evolution of the early 90's.

You see just by looking at the sales psone IS AND ALWASY WILL BE the console that made gaming mainstream. And by that deffinition it made games and gaming accepted and a part of every day media consumption by the average joe.
Look if you are from tokyo,maybe, then you would understand that in western europe and america it really was a kids thing before psone and in japan it was a cutural thing.

How it created or made genres popular is a very but very long write up.

Jtibh

Banned
I'm not going to get into this much more, but Sixasis was revealed at E3 2006. Nintendo Wii was officially unveiled at E3 2005. Revolution, which was the Wii, was first announced at E3 2004.

But I don't consider Sixaxis to be motion control, or even a form of it in terms of making gamers think that the controller is an extension of their own hand. It was really something that existed because, if I recall, Sony couldn't use rumble at the time and needed something comparable.
Psmove original was before wiimote.

Now here is where i say since its gaf maybe someone can be the judge whos right.

But yeah sixaxis was a cry for help and a big flop

Enzo88

I'm not going to get into this much more, but Sixasis was revealed at E3 2006. Nintendo Wii was officially unveiled at E3 2005.

There is really no point going into this, for several reasons:

1) On one side the point apparently is :"who made what mainstream", but when it comes to Sony, if they made a prototype before (is it even before? do we have data on the first wii-mote prototype?) that`s good enough. Total contradiction.

2) Bragging about those motion controls prototypes makes no sense, motion controls have been around for decades XD

Shrennin

Psmove original was before wiimote.

Now here is where i say since its gaf maybe someone can be the judge whos right.

But yeah sixaxis was a cry for help and a big flop

Only one correction to make on my end - The boomerang PS3 controller was unveiled in 2005, likely during E3 with the Wii.

With that said, PS Move Original was in 2010. That was the one released to the market. I don't really understand that point of contention. If you can't buy the controller, then it's not released and the market is none the wiser.

Just because something is being prototyped doesn't mean that a company should then get credit for it. Otherwise, we would never know who truly created something first. Maybe SEGA was prototyping a motion controller before Dreamcast went under, after all?

There is really no point going into this, for several reasons:

1) On one side the point apparently is :"who made what mainstream", but when it comes to Sony, if they made a prototype before (is it even before? do we have data on the first wii-mote prototype?) that`s good enough. Total contradiction.

2) Bragging about those motion controls prototypes makes no sense, motion controls have been around for decades XD

Yeah, we should probably get on topic anyway. This is way, way, way off topic. So, uh, let's go back to talking about how good Sony is as a publisher? :D

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

But enzo. We know u no tokyo and we know your an alt account .

Its ok.

How you are butthurt cuz of me is beyond me but there is always anusol when in need.

Should i block you ,let you continue to insult my IQ....🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.....ok lets block.

Bye

Shrennin

So uh... Last of Us Part Two is a really, really, really good game. I think it's my personal Game of the Year.

Jtibh

Banned
Only one correction to make on my end - The boomerang PS3 controller was unveiled in 2005, likely during E3 with the Wii.

With that said, PS Move Original was in 2010. That was the one released to the market. I don't really understand that point of contention. If you can't buy the controller, then it's not released and the market is none the wiser.

Just because something is being prototyped doesn't mean that a company should then get credit for it. Otherwise, we would never know who truly created something first. Maybe SEGA was prototyping a motion controller before Dreamcast went under, after all?

Yeah, we should probably get on topic anyway. This is way, way, way off topic. So, uh, let's go back to talking about how good Sony is as a publisher? :D
Technicaly you are correct.

Psmove came out 2010 .
Fucking wonderbook or what ever garbage it was was after.

I guess my argument is that nintendo was not the inventor of it and more or less copied sony and went through with it where as sony cancelled it. And sony probably stole it from somehwre else too lol.

I just have a problem with glorifying the wiimote as the original force behind motion controll.....then again there was the power glove which had a sensor bar......fuck knows really

Jtibh

Banned
So uh... Last of Us Part Two is a really, really, really good game. I think it's my personal Game of the Year.
Playing it now and shame on me for falling for the pr bull. I have no problem looking past the story and just enjoy the gameplay....you know the thing eveyone saying sony games dont have hahaha

Shrennin

Playing it now and shame on me for falling for the pr bull. I have no problem looking past the story and just enjoy the gameplay....you know the thing eveyone saying sony games dont have hahaha
Gameplay is really good, but I think the story is pretty good too. It doesn't go in directions I personally wanted it to go, but it's still told really well.

What hurt me was someone spoiled a major thing with the game in casual conversation so that kind of diminished my desire to play it right when it came out. I'm finally getting over that.

Spitfire098

Truth Reaction GIF by moodman

Jtibh

Banned
Gameplay is really good, but I think the story is pretty good too. It doesn't go in directions I personally wanted it to go, but it's still told really well.

What hurt me was someone spoiled a major thing with the game in casual conversation so that kind of diminished my desire to play it right when it came out. I'm finally getting over that.
I feel you.

For me the spoilers of the story painted a dark picture like this is the end and its all about wokeness etc.
It put me off for sure but i just doesnt bother me.
The way its told and presented makes you forget about all the hate. Its well done and yes its woke but i can accept it .
The gameplay is great as well.

Though my biggest issue is it try to find all items and sometime i jump over a window and bum cut off. Cant go back cant reload . Cuz i sure shot didnt know once i am over that exact fence or anything i am done and cant return to prior area

Jtibh

Banned
Nah, If we're being realistic Nintendo has them beat in appeal and sales. I say this as someone who wouldn't touch a Nintendo product if it was given to me, too.
Nintendo is the gateway drug . Then u shoot up and die of starvation in an a korean internet caffee during an mmo

Grinchy

Banned
The reality that Sony has the best library every generation upsets people.

It'll happen this new generation as well, so it'd be easier to just accept it now lol

Boss Man

I also don’t like the cinematic movie game thing, but I still think it’s fair to call them the best publisher. It’s a matter of quality not preference. They consistently make great quality AAA games (including new IPs) and release like 4 of them every single year.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
The reality that Sony has the best library every generation upsets people.

It'll happen this new generation as well, so it'd be easier to just accept it now lol
It's easier to accept otherwise too, these movies really seem to struggle selling out past 10 mil without generous cuts from generous Sony, with 3-4 movies games bundled in one.

Nice bundle from Sony btw, so generous of them.

Best library my ass lol.

Grinchy

Banned
It's easier to accept otherwise too, these movies really seem to struggle selling out past 10 mil without generous cuts from generous Sony, with 3-4 movies games bundled in one.

Nice bundle from Sony btw, so generous of them.

Best library my ass lol.
Hey, as long as you love Recore that much, go have fun :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ikbalCO

If you like that kind of games, sure. But I like games games. Not movie games.

i find this claim really unfair. horizon, god of war, spider man and days gone are games games as games games can get.

and so called movie games like uncharted 4, tlou 2; have amazing gameplay mechanics, level desgin and world building.

even just the level desing in bloodborne would win any argument against PS games gameyness.

The fact that Death Stranding and UC4 are on that list should be proof enough that's not true. One for the lack of a better comparison, is boring as fuck to play. UC4 is is better than UC3 by virtue of having a consistent story ish but also has loads of fucking cutscenes when UC2 just did everything better by being short and sweet.
Surely Nintendo is better in this regard.

tmlDan

Nintendo has higher highs (Breath of the Wild) and more diversity with it's output. Sony still needs to take another step.
They also have much lower lows and get a premium on their review scores because everyone's stuck in the past with Nostalgia, if someone made that Pokemon game or FE: 3 houses, or hell, a Zelda clone, and was published by Sony with another lead char. it would prob be docked 10 points because it lacks a narrative, and has tedious and annoying gameplay (breaking weapons after 4 hits). it's just the reality, everyone grew up with these characters (mario, zelda, pokemon) but they're inherently simplistic and ,personally, super boring because they kind of stick to the same, or slightly adjusted, formula.

And yes, i've played all those games i listed and beat them, but games like zelda took me legit years because i was so done with a new weapon breaking after i found it.

MagnesG

Banned
They also have much lower lows and get a premium on their review scores because everyone's stuck in the past with Nostalgia, if someone made that Pokemon game or FE: 3 houses, or hell, a Zelda clone, and was published by Sony with another lead char. it would prob be docked 10 points because it lacks a narrative, and has tedious and annoying gameplay (breaking weapons after 4 hits). it's just the reality, everyone grew up with these characters (mario, zelda, pokemon) but they're inherently simplistic and ,personally, super boring because they kind of stick to the same, or slightly adjusted, formula.

And yes, i've played all those games i listed and beat them, but games like zelda took me legit years because i was so done with a new weapon breaking after i found it.
"Personally"

Meanwhile millions bought those games and enjoyed it.

i find this claim really unfair. horizon, god of war, spider man and days gone are games games as games games can get.

and so called movie games like uncharted 4, tlou 2; have amazing gameplay mechanics, level desgin and world building.

even just the level desing in bloodborne would win any argument against PS games gameyness.
Good luck lol.

Last edited:

kyussman

GoW has great gameplay and Spiderman is fun.

But as for Naughty Dog, pressing triangle to climb is not exciting gameplay. Especially stretched out over 30 hours.
Uncharted 4 is the only Naughty Dog game that had questionable climbing.....but we do know they removed an actual climbing mechanic that would have given the player more agency during those sections.I've always enjoyed gameplay in Naughty Dog games,sure they have slow walky bits and talky bits too....but the gameplay has always been good.

Last edited:

klosos

Mediocre?
Sony exclusives this gen (game - metascore):

Action/Adventure
  • The Last of Us Part II -- 94
  • God of War -- 94
  • Uncharted 4 -- 93
  • Shadow of the Colossus -- 91
  • Horizon Zero Dawn -- 89
  • Marvel's Spider-Man -- 87
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales -- 85
  • Uncharted : The Lost Legacy -- 84
  • Ghost of Tsushima -- 83
  • Death Stranding -- 82
  • The Last Guardian -- 82
  • Gravity Rush 2 -- 80
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son -- 80
  • Judgement -- 80
  • Detroit : Become Human -- 78
  • Concrete Genie -- 75
  • InFAMOUS First Light -- 73
  • Days Gone -- 71
  • Medievil -- 67
  • The Order: 1886 -- 63

Judgement has only a 80 Metascore , that's criminal it being that low , to me it a 90+ Easy. Granted a lot of the games on that list like HZD and Unccharted 4 i think are mediocre but not Judgement.

Judgement is easily in the top 10 games of the previous Gen, up there with Wither 3 , Inside , DOS2

Bramble

Sony hasn't made a game this decade thats better than BOTW. So Nintendo takes that title

Also, Death Stranding is garbage. I don't listen to anyone that thinks the glorified UPS simulator is a better game than Sekiro

Ubisoft did with Immortals Fenyx Rising. Way better graphics at 60fps, way better controls en way better combat against way better enemies. Oh and no breakable weapons and silly mechanics like "spend an hour throwing shit into this pot and see what you can cook" is an automatic win, for me.

With that said, I had more fun with every Sony game I played, than I had with BotW, which I dropped after 20 hours that felt like work.

And also the lame movie game argument. What is that? Is Bloodborne a movie game? Dreams? Astrobot? Concrete Genie? GT7? God of War? Or even stuff Naughty Dog makes? How? Because there is a story with occasional cutscenes? Part II has the most solid third person stealth/action gameplay ever created. Are you guys confused with Quantic Dream games?

Good thread to just sit back and relax and read all of the responses. Specially those struggling with the truth running their little agendas, the same old tired talking points, or hedging, when all else fails with... but, but.... "Nintendo".

If you're on the outside looking in for the past decade+, as a hardcore gamer... I don't know what to say. I guess pity is a word.

Last edited:
Top Bottom