• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is the best publisher of the decade

MagnesG

Banned
Good thread to just sit back and relax and read all of the responses. Specially those struggling with the truth running their little agendas, the same old tired talking points, or hedging, when all else fails with... but, but.... "Nintendo".

If you're on the outside looking in for the past decade+, as a hardcore gamer... I don't know what to say. I guess pity is a word.
Sony won't survive with just their portfolio on their console.

Let that sink in for a bit.

v_iHuGi

Banned

Sure Jan GIF

King Sony. ♥️♥️♥️

BONUS: we had some great 1st party titles on PSVITA. It's a shame they never put the money and time to make it shines like it should have.

For me, PS4 pro, PS5 and Vita are the 3 best hardwares from this decade, because i loved games from Sony.

Why are you Sony people not talking about Wipe Out 4k, The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus for PS4? They REALLY deserve some more love!

And Demon's Souls on PS5! What a game!

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
What? The 20M + Spidey or God of War sales? Didn´t sell 100M better cancel the sequel.

U Mad Reaction GIF
Sales numbers are good (with deep discounts and rabid bundles), but not enough to sustain the whole install base. Attach ratio would be much lower when only FP games are considered.

I like the games don't cancel the sequel lol.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They also have much lower lows and get a premium on their review scores because everyone's stuck in the past with Nostalgia, if someone made that Pokemon game or FE: 3 houses, or hell, a Zelda clone, and was published by Sony with another lead char. it would prob be docked 10 points because it lacks a narrative, and has tedious and annoying gameplay (breaking weapons after 4 hits). it's just the reality, everyone grew up with these characters (mario, zelda, pokemon) but they're inherently simplistic and ,personally, super boring because they kind of stick to the same, or slightly adjusted, formula.

And yes, i've played all those games i listed and beat them, but games like zelda took me legit years because i was so done with a new weapon breaking after i found it.

Edit: I don't know how to GIF anymore.

Last edited:

Ogbert

What games exactly considered "hardcore"?

I think they mean emo simulators where you play a miserable child or adult, guiding someone or something to someplace, amidst a series cutscenes and quick time events.

Those sort of games are for mature audiences. You need severe levels of maturation to be able to grapple with the maturosity on display.

If you think the American outlets are clowns, then the Brazilian ones the jesters. All bunch of uncultured fucks that don't even play the games themselves and write their reviews based on the reviews from the likes of IGN and GameSpot.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Care to point out where I called them "bad"?

Shocking that my avatar comes from none of those games, then.
Damn you are one pedantic dude.

Yes, you did not call them bad just that they are movies and associated other negative associations like no innovation with "cinematic" games.

And really? I was just too lazy to list ascension and the PSP games and threw them under the GOW1-3 banner. They are still cinematic games.

thelastword

Banned
Winning 3 consecutive GOTY awards and 5 goty awards in the last 10 years that makes Sony the undisputed king and the dominant champion of publishers. even if you hate Sony you can't deny the quality of their output and blockbusters, what do you think gaf?

Goggk2j.jpg

Well I have never seen stats lie......Sony's impeccable first party sales and high meta scores are quite telling......Consecutive Goty's most Goty's.....The truth is the truth. Both reviewers and gamers continue to give Sony that stamp pf approval time and time again.....Reviewers with their high scores/must play recommendations and gamers with that $60.......

And it won't stop, buckle up for Ragnarok to get a landslide victory at GOTY 2021......It's just the way it is...Quality rules and buggy lower tier productions drools...

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nah. Nintendo is better or at least close enough to tie. GoTY doesn't measure overall quality produced in a year. It is just what was the most liked game in a year by reviewers, not by all gamers. Sony goes for the deep, story driven experience for adults. Nintendo tends to go for gameplay driven experiences for all ages. If you recognize that gaming experiences as a kid are important, including the ones had with a parent playing, then Nintendo should get the edge because they create great games with a broader appeal.

BootsLoader

Banned
Sony hasn't made a game this decade thats better than BOTW. So Nintendo takes that title

Also, Death Stranding is garbage. I don't listen to anyone that thinks the glorified UPS simulator is a better game than Sekiro
Ok go play BOTW. Thank you.

Bravedwarf

Neo Member
Sad for xbox owners really.

You see nintendo till this day is riding the mario and zelda wave.
N64 had amazing first party titles that was never matched ever since.

And you can see that sony is always trying to come up with new ips so you ger the sequels but you get all these new ones like ghost and spiderman horizon etc etc.

This os why they are above the competition cuz they try to take risks with detroid and death stranding etc and for that i applaude them . Even if some of those titles are average at best they keep pushing and pushing amd you go from uncharted one that was painfull to uncharted 2 that was a master piece . Or from heavy rain to detroid.

At least sony tries to inovate and experiment where as nintendo wants to play it safe and xbox ...well gamepass is cool and hope they keep their promise with the new ips they develop but they have a long history of dropping games that flop like hot shit or just flat out cancel projects for some reason. Not to be trusted so far but please i hope they prove me wrong
JESUS - I mean..... Nintendo actually does stuff more progressive and changes their ip a lot more.... Sony just does Sony.....

end of the day you back what you like.... all brands do excellent Ip's if your into that spectrum ( xbox is shit for this... Sony is shit for this reason) but consistency nobody takes more risks then Nintendo as they have too.. they aint the powerhouse GPU so they do things differently.

but will say yo where is multiplayer games on Sony front? where is killzone or resistance why is it always open world/semi open world games (are Sony becoming Ubisoft?) They have some amazing games no doubt but if you actually play them back to back (I did as a friend bought over his ps4 pro) alot of it is just the same make up.

again same as Microsoft doing only first person shooters etc.

Bravedwarf

Neo Member
also I think gaf should implement a verification system to each profile showing which consoles we own.... cuts the (bullcrap) of well I own both etc but reality is your xbox account or psn from 2009 expired.

WildBoy

Nintendo is the only one innovating and capitalising on that innovation. Move is terrible and has been since it came out... And god please give me a new control for VR... It's a joke.

Anyway to go back on topic. Last of us 2 deserved goty but Sony tries to win goty so much it barely changes much gameplay aspects in its games. And it also steals a lot then markets them like it's their own creation. Quality is really high don't get me wrong. But let's be fair Spiderman as much as to copied rock steadys formula don't hold a candle to the Arkham games... It's just we don't have batman around atm.

yurinka

I have the Sony's first party software sales data to prove that. What do you have to support yours? Ignorance?
Not sure, but I'd say almost all 1st party teams saw their best selling game of that studio or IP this generation, and many of them also got the best metacritic game for their studio this generation. I'd bet Sony also won more gotys this generation/decade than in all their previous ones.

In addition to their 1st party games, PS also had/has the biggest 3rd party support of all consoles, resulting on a bigger, more diverse catalog with more quality titles from almost every genre/niche market. Exclusive games are only a small portion of their sales, so aren't that important for them to survive.

Out of all gaming platforms (including also PC, mobile, browsers or streaming platforms), Nintendo platforms are the only ones where exclusives take an important market share so are needed to survive.

And in any case, this generation/decade Sony had their strongest portfolio ever in terms of sales, metacritic and gotys.

Last edited:

WildBoy

Its the same old same old for years now.

They have strong ips that are ancient but they never added to those ips ever since.

It is like sonys go to ip till this day would be crash or wipeout of final fantasy and thats it.

Yes nintendo is playing it safe . I game since 1984 for reference and i can tell you i played all the marios on every nintendo console . Its still mario and always will be mario.

Guess i am just tired of it and seek something new for a change??

First hybrid console is a big strech buddy

The wii was a one hit wonder that was fun the first year but after the usual ips run out it became a dust collector. And again we had ps move way before that as well as the hardware was just and existing gamecube so again kinda playing it safe.

Not sure, but I'd say almost all 1st party teams saw their best selling game of that studio or IP this generation, and many of them also got the best metacritic game for their studio this generation. I'd bet Sony also won more gotys this generation/decade than in all their previous ones.

In addition to their 1st party games, PS also had/has the biggest 3rd party support of all consoles, resulting on a bigger, more diverse catalog with more quality titles from almost every genre/niche market. Exclusive games are only a small portion of their sales, so aren't that important for them to survive.

Out of all gaming platforms (including also PC, mobile, browsers or streaming platforms), Nintendo platforms are the only ones where exclusives take an important market share so are needed to survive.

And in any case, this generation/decade Sony had their strongest portfolio ever in terms of sales, metacritic and gotys.
In a generation where previous Xbox management fucked up so much that Sony got the win day 1 - their confidence was bred from the moment they decided to let MS die on the sword that they were all for until they saw the bad press MS got for going forward first. Sonys success this gen was pre determined. MS was asleep 80 percent of the gen...

GymWolf

Now i want to see all the "movie-games" guys playing horizon on ultra hard or beating the queen of valkirye in gow at gimme the god of war with ease or beating the 500 zombie horde in survival mode on days gone in the first try since these are movie games without gameplay or challenge.

I'm waiting.

Last edited:

yurinka

The video said it was from 2010 (or rather showed it was posted in 2010), so that's why I wondered. The person who posted that video claims it's from 2003.

But for all we know Nintendo was also prototyping the Wii motion control back then too (they would almost have to be for a console releasing in 2006 based around motion control). The point of the matter is that Nintendo brought it first to market in 2006 out of the big three. It was known for a while Nintendo was doing something different. The code name for Wii was "Revolution" after all. Speculation included VR. It ended up being motion control. Revolution was formally announced at E3 2004, by the way. So if Nintendo knew that the Revolution was motion control, then prototyping would have been a few years before even that in 2004 when Nintendo was confident enough to announce it.

Also, RIP Iwata :(

The early Eyetoy and wand prototype demos were shown in 2000, 2001 and 2002. And later Sony patented the PS Move controller concept in 2004:

But Wii wasn't a rip off of Eyetoy/Move controller concept, its concept (plus Wii Sports and Wii Balance Board) was more a rip off of the Xavix Port console and its games but using a single controller for all games intead of having different versions of the controller for each game (the same but with a different plastic shape arount it).

In a generation where previous Xbox management fucked up so much that Sony got the win day 1 - their confidence was bred from the moment they decided to let MS die on the sword that they were all for until they saw the bad press MS got for going forward first. Sonys success this gen was pre determined. MS was asleep 80 percent of the gen...
Sony dominated all the generations with the exception of the PS3 one where even if they ended outselling MS, they lost a big market share first due to the explosion of the casual market with browser, mobile, Wii and DS, second because the rise on development costs made many former important Sony exclusives to go multi and specially many mistakes PS3 had at launch like having bizarre alien hardware, too expensive price and to release the console over a year (specially in the 1st Sony market, Europe) later han MS.

With PS4 Sony fixed all their own mistakes they had with PS3 (some of them already fixed in the 2nd half of the PS3 generation), so dominated again. With PS5 they continued with the same strategy than PS4 and didn't have the huge mistakes they had in PS3, so started dominating again and looking at their 1st year lineup (specially vs MS 2021 exclusives) seems they will dominate at least during the 1st year.

I mean, it isn't due to MS. Sony dominated almost always due their own merits and when they didn't was because they did fucked it up themselves. I mean yes, MS had a wrong strategy at the start of XBO but started to slowly fix it and now they have a solid strategy but Xbox doesn't dominate when they are doing their things properly again, maybe because they new games are also available in PC (and cheaper with Gamepass) or because many of these new studios need 2-3+ years more to release their first big MS games.

Once it happens I think they may increase their market share, but until then I think Sony will increase their lead. And I'm not sure if many of their players may prefer to play them on Xbox when all the new MS games (and with Game Pass) with extra horsepower and extra PC only games. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm pretty sure until 2022 PS5 will continue breaking launch aligned historical console sale records.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony made up their mind just do AAA action games one thing that just crushes awards, it made perfect sense to drop the crowded FPS market and make millions off of third person AAA games SONY has a duty to make AAA games
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Now i want to see all the "movie-games" guys playing horizon on ultra hard or beating the queen of valkirye in gow at gimme the god of war with ease or beating the 500 zombie horde in survival mode on days gone in the first try since these are movie games without gameplay or challenge.

I'm waiting.
I really don't get why people call God of War a movie game.

IMO games from Naughty Dog are: lots and lots of cutscenes, and also lots and lots of walking sequences while talking with someone, and lots and lots of "puzzles" with conversations on the background. To me, that's the definition of a movie game.

But God of War? What the fuck, I spent most of my play time exploring, doing side stuff or wrecking enemies to shit. No filler at all.

GymWolf

I really don't get why people call God of War a movie game.

IMO games from Naughty Dog are: lots and lots of cutscenes, and also lots and lots of walking sequences while talking with someone, and lots and lots of "puzzles" with conversations on the background. To me, that's the definition of a movie game.

But God of War? What the fuck, I spent most of my play time exploring, doing side stuff or wrecking enemies to shit. No filler at all.
Uncharted games are more movie like yeah, but on the hardest difficulty, they are hard as hell, at least the last one was like that (and i hate that fucking game)

The ideal game is uncharted 2 with the graphics and shooting of uncharted 4.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Uncharted games are more movie like yeah, but on the hardest difficulty, they are hard as hell, at least the last one was like that (and i hate that fucking game)

The ideal game is uncharted 2 with the graphics and shooting of uncharted 4.
Yeah, lots of cutscenes buy they are a hell of a fun games none the less.

Uncharted 2 was my fav too. Great pacing and some impressive scenes. I think we can count on some remakes down the line, maybe not for PS5 (too soon?) but for sure they'll come.

Derktron

Banned
King Sony. ♥️♥️♥️

BONUS: we had some great 1st party titles on PSVITA. It's a shame they never put the money and time to make it shines like it should have.

For me, PS4 pro, PS5 and Vita are the 3 best hardwares from this decade, because i loved games from Sony.

Why are you Sony people not talking about Wipe Out 4k, The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus for PS4? They REALLY deserve some more love!

And Demon's Souls on PS5! What a game!
Damn speaking of PS Vita I truly wish Sony made another PSP. The technology we have is amazing and imagine what Sony can do with it.

MagnesG

Banned

I'm just saying if Sony didn't have arguably the biggest 3rd party market share (PC?) they wouldn't survive only with their FP offerings, the new start of gen race with PS5/XSX will be a clean slate in terms of external supports. We also have the Japanese 3rd parties to consider here, abandoning them would only mean also abandoning Japan, China, mainland Asia, SE Asia etc and some parts of European countries.

We'll see how it goes for PS5.

GymWolf

Yeah, lots of cutscenes buy they are a hell of a fun games none the less.

Uncharted 2 was my fav too. Great pacing and some impressive scenes. I think we can count on some remakes down the line, maybe not for PS5 (too soon?) but for sure they'll come.
Yeah not for me, after u4 they can go fuck off a cliff, i fucking hate that game, unchy2 was peak uncharted.

From them i want a New ip or just tlou3.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Yeah not for me, after u4 they can go fuck off a cliff, i fucking hate that game.

New ip or just tlou3.
Why do you hate it so much? I found it weaker than 2 and maybe 3, but it's a fun game still (imo).

Too bad the spoiled the best action sequence on the trailers tho. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Why do you hate it so much? I found it weaker than 2 and maybe 3, but it's a fun game still (imo).

Too bad the spoiled the best action sequence on the trailers tho. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
shitty pacing
mediocre predictable story (but i never cared for ND storytelling or characters so that's is partially on me)
shitty brother
shitty villain (as usual in their games)
shitty kids sections
far less gunfights (or maybe the number wasn't that far but the pacing made me believe that gunfights were less numerous)

i abandoned the game 2 times and completed from start to finish in a span of like 6 months, i was that bored.
I didn't liked unchy3 that much neither, i liked the first one more.

The first 2 were more genuine, i don't know how to put it...

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

shitty pacing
mediocre predictable story (but i never cared for ND storytelling or characters so that's is partially on me)
shitty brother
shitty villain (as usual in their games)
shitty kids sections
far less gunfights (or maybe the number wasn't that far but the pacing made me believe that gunfights were less numerous)

i abandoned the game 2 times and completed from start to finish in a span of like 6 months, i was that bored.
I didn't liked unchy3 that much neither, i liked the first one more.

The first 2 were more genuine, i don't know how to put it...
Yeah I can really agree on those two. The others not so much but maybe because I really didn't care that much about the story.

And about the gunfights... Yes. Specially at the "start" of the game. I felt I wasn't really playing until Scotland.

I gueds that's what happens when you put storytelling above gameplay.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm just saying if Sony didn't have arguably the biggest 3rd party market share (PC?) they wouldn't survive only with their FP offerings, the new start of gen race with PS5/XSX will be a clean slate in terms of external supports. We also have the Japanese 3rd parties to consider here, abandoning them would only mean also abandoning Japan, China, mainland Asia, SE Asia etc and some parts of European countries.

We'll see how it goes for PS5.
Well, I was talking about consoles. PC is different, because it also includes other markets like their own exclusives like all these F2P Asian stuff, browser games, extra small indies and so on resulting in a bigger 3rd party suppport.

Regarding consoles, Sony has locked these Japanese big games (smaller/portables ones are also on Switch or only on Switch). Stuff like Final Fantasy XVI, FF VIIR Ep 2, Project Athia, Guilty Gear Strive, Babylon's Fall and so on. For Asia, even multis who are also released on Xbox sometimes are only released on PS there because of the insane market share difference they have there.

But Asia is the biggest gaming market because of F2P on PC and mostly mobile, the console market is migrating to mobile there. Regarding console games, the biggest markets are NA and EU so even Japanese console companies focus primarly there, and the western console companies obviously too.

Sony has a bigger western market share than MS -with way less difference than in Asia- so in that big console western market they also get more support from the worldwide companies who target the western markets.

Right now, I think the main weapon Sony has over MS is the market share, and I think the main reason of that are the exclusives, specially because most of them aren't available on PC unlike the MS ones. I mean, both exclusive and multis are important for Sony and there are no hints leading to think that they may lose them in the next few years. In fact the opposite, we've seen these years historical record sales for both soft exclusives and overall software PS4 sales which means we'll see more of both.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Highly debatable, but Sony has certainly found an identity that is both premium and mass market. It’s great.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

I'm waiting.
These are all movie games and the hords are jist actors dont you know?
And valkyre fight pfff what a quicktime event you cant get right?
Or so the logic of the people who play on the soljaboy console

MagnesG

Banned
Well, I was talking about consoles. PC is different, because it also includes other markets like their own exclusives like all these F2P Asian stuff, browser games, extra small indies and so on resulting in a bigger 3rd party suppport.

Regarding consoles, Sony has locked these Japanese big games (smaller/portables ones are also on Switch or only on Switch). Stuff like Final Fantasy XVI, FF VIIR Ep 2, Project Athia, Guilty Gear Strive, Babylon's Fall and so on. For Asia, even multis who are also released on Xbox sometimes are only released on PS there because of the insane market share difference they have there.

But Asia is the biggest gaming market because of F2P on PC and mostly mobile, the console market is migrating to mobile there. Regarding console games, the biggest markets are NA and EU so even Japanese console companies focus primarly there, and the western console companies obviously too.

Sony has a bigger western market share than MS -with way less difference than in Asia- so in that big console western market they also get more support from the worldwide companies who target the western markets.

Right now, I think the main weapon Sony has over MS is the market share, and I think the main reason of that are the exclusives, specially because most of them aren't available on PC unlike the MS ones. I mean, both exclusive and multis are important for Sony and there are no hints leading to think that they may lose them in the next few years. In fact the opposite, we've seen these years historical record sales for both soft exclusives and overall software PS4 sales which means we'll see more of both.
Just pointing the PC, I'm not suggesting anything. Mobile story is mobile regardless of its market.

PS5 software sales hasn't been great so far - Japan sales data for example. If anything PS4 software sales only excels more on western market share because of how bad MS fucked up the launch with the marketing and hardware itself, the story could still be different this time around.
Japanese big games are also not so prominent these days on their mainland, only been declining (FF is not that hot anymore, RE are only chasing the western market now, top budgets fighting games hits an all time low). There are still some serious focus on console market in Asia thought with sales data to back it up even with competing mobile giants, just not so big on AAA Japanese portfolio focusing more on window dressing graphics games.

Asia is the deciding factor really for PS to become dominant again or not.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Just pointing the PC, I'm not suggesting anything. Mobile story is mobile regardless of its market.

PS5 software sales hasn't been great so far - Japan sales data for example. If anything PS4 software sales only excels more on western market share because of how bad MS fucked up the launch with the marketing and hardware itself, the story could still be different this time around.
Japanese big games are also not so prominent these days on their mainland, only been declining (FF is not that hot anymore, RE are only chasing the western market now, top budgets fighting games hits an all time low). There are still some serious focus on console market in Asia with sales date to back it up even with mobile giants, just not so big on AAA Japanese portfolio focusing on window dressing graphics games.

Asia is the deciding factor really for PS to become dominant again or not.
I honestly think japan market has zero impact on the console market and can easely excluded for good.

European market expanded grearly over the years not to mention with the european union expansion that started in the ps2 era.

Japan is the past where we looked at success based on their market.

So even for ps5 i refuse to take the japanese market sales as evidence of the consoles success

MagnesG

Banned
I honestly think japan market has zero impact on the console market and can easely excluded for good.

European market expanded grearly over the years not to mention with the european union expansion that started in the ps2 era.

Japan is the past where we looked at success based on their market.

So even for ps5 i refuse to take the japanese market sales as evidence of the consoles success
Software sales for Japan can also be reflected to indicate sales in other Asia region like China, S. Korea, SE Asia etc. and Asia-Pacific is forecasted to hold the largest market share in the coming years.

And Japan is still the 3rd biggest market for gaming industry btw, as reflected by the hardware and software sales.

I just shitpost as always... because some angry dudes are quite entertaining ;).

But yeah the "trash" is taking a nap. Bye :messenger_blowing_kiss:

This is OT, but are you a fat guy IRL? I work with a couple fat guys at work and they are snarky. Wondering if thats a fat guy thing.

Jtibh

Banned
Software sales for Japan can also be reflected to indicate sales in other Asia region like China, S. Korea, SE Asia etc. and Asia-Pacific is forecasted to hold the largest market share in the coming years.

And Japan is still the 3rd biggest market for gaming industry btw, as reflected by the hardware and software sales.
Now you make me research hardware and software sales for this gen.

Can someone help me out thanks

Top Bottom