• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
:(
its over. great finale. gave me some Braveheart vibe there.
Why can't Gannicus be a wondering Gladiator solving problems. :S

Did they edited Spartacus wife getting grab by Romans and but a cloth over her chest

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That was the most intense hour of TV I've ever seen and the most satisfying season finale in TV history. It was also a massive tearjerker.

Choreography, writing, music.... Absolutely amazing work in all fronts. From Lugo's fiery death to Spartacus' heroic demise, everything about that battle was absolutely top notch. It also marked Liam's best performance to date. He OWNED the role. We all love Andy and it's fair to say that Liam was a bit wooden at first, but by the end of the season he was Spartacus just like Andy was before him.

As for Oenomaus, Gannicus, Lugo, Saxa, Crixus... all fucking troopers.

If somebody would have told me the show was going to end in such a high note right after seeing the first couple of episodes, I would have died laughing in the spot. This is the show that redefines "growing the beard".

If I smoked I would run for a cigarette.

MG310

69029_460519557356898_1595522886_n.jpg

From here... https://www.facebook.com/SpartacusLugo

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You should watch more HBO original series'.

I've seen plenty and I think they've set the bar insanely high, but none of them ever got me this pumped and emotional during a season finale.

Most people are quick to dismiss Spartacus as T&A with buckets of gore (not that I'm saying that's your case), but there was some really excellent and engaging writing along the ride. The whole package is a heck of a lot better than it appears at first.

Edit: Dat Lugo. Fuck their mothers indeed.

jett

D-Member
This may have been the best series finale I have ever seen.

Also, I thought the depiction of a large scale battle was brilliantly done. How many films, let alone tv series, have depicted large scale battles as clearly as this episode did?

Only Rome, but it wasn't as elaborate as this one.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Only Rome, but it wasn't as elaborate as this one.

I think the FX looked a bit spotty at times (mostly ballista and fire strikes), but I can excuse it since everything else was so incredibly good and satisfactory.

If HBO gave Neil Marshall the opportunity to direct a similar battle for Game of Thrones I would die a happy man.

Flash

I've seen plenty and I think they've set the bar insanely high, but none of them ever got me this pumped and emotional during a season finale.

Most people are quick to dismiss Spartacus as T&A with buckets of gore (not that I'm saying that's your case), but there was some really excellent and engaging writing along the ride. The whole package is a heck of a lot better than it appears at first.

Edit: Dat Lugo. Fuck their mothers indeed.

yup - this show was pure entertaininig.

and it takes more than some nudity and gore to make a show interesting (see the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 1).

This show had me hooked and the finale was fantastic. Given that their ending was set by history, they did a great job.

As for a Cesaer spin off...I don't know. I know some of you guys love him but I don't think he's that great and I can't really see him as being a protagonist (assuming its a direct spin-off of this show). But the possibility is there, especially with how they ended things on the Rome side of things.

Go watch Six Feet Under and The Wire. Report back after.

Hell, even Babylon 5. This one ended really damn well, but the best it ain't.

The Wire? really? you were pumped during the season finale of that?

Don't get me wrong, overall The Wire is, in my opinion, the best series ever... but you can't even compare it to a show like this. Completely different purposes. And yes, this shows finale had me way more hyped throughout, but that's more due to the nature of the show (big field battles, epic speeches, and so on).

and you got to consider that HBO series have a lot more to play with than a Starz series. Given what the show had, the limits set by history, and what it's had to endure (MAJOR casting changes, long hiatuses), it's pretty great what they've done with it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You should watch more HBO original series'.

Intense is different than quality.

The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Band of Brothers, Boardwalk Empire and John Adams. And these are just the ones I've seen are all better than Spartacus.

But I'll also think Spartacus did something better than all of those shows too. It had amazing pacing. Where they kept each episode, episodic enough to stand on its own. While slowly drawing towards the overall arc. You always left satisfied by the end of the episode, and always looking forward to the next one for the continuing arc.

This is on a very superficial level, but it's also something most shows can't achieve either. And I do think Spartacus deserves credit for it. The show is pulpy, superhero, and completely childish at times. But it never once lacked pay off.

Of course the 2nd season was all sorts of shit to me. But S1, Gods, and S3 were all top tier.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
As for a Cesaer spin off...I don't know. I know some of you guys love him but I don't think he's that great and I can't really see him as being a protagonist (assuming its a direct spin-off of this show). But the possibility is there, especially with how they ended things on the Rome side of things.
He was a little bitch at first, but he won me over almost as much as Liam did. I'd really like Startz to explore that idea, although I can see some problems given the lenght of Caesar's exploits. After all he was well over 50 years old when he died.

Edit: The interesting thing is, Caesar actually crossed the Alps, so a possible spin-off could even allow Agron and Nasir to return.

xenist

He was a little bitch at first, but he won me over almost as much as Liam did. I'd really like Startz to explore that idea, although I can see some problems given the lenght of Caesar's exploits. After all he was well over 50 years old when he died.

Edit: The interesting thing is, Caesar actually crossed the Alps, so a possible spin-off could even allow Agron and Nasir to return.

The period from the end of the slave revolt until Octavian became Emperor is seriously the most interesting period of history since the dawn of mankind. I would kill for a show set during the rise of the Triumvirate.

Clevinger

So, am I the only one who's kind of tired as hell of this style of dialogue? I don't know what it is, but this year it's just completely grating on me. I was never fully on board with it, but there were a few characters/actors who did it well like Batiatus and Andy's Spartacus.

I'd love a Caesar spinoff about the Triumvirate... just not with that shit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The period from the end of the slave revolt until Octavian became Emperor is seriously the most interesting period of history since the dawn of mankind. I would kill for a show set during the rise of the Triumvirate.

Laeta needs to come back in MILF form and instigate the assassination of Caesar.

Also, the conquest of Hispania MUST HAPPEN.

Sulla1980

Totally agree, but it would really play as a tragedy. The best protagonist candidate would be Cato, and he was hardly a personality - unless you like Stoicism.

Hell, this has me thinking they should just adapt Lucan's epic The Civil War. Certainly gory enough to follow Spartacus.

iammeiam

Loved the finale; Beautifully done. The most surprising emotional moment for me was when Spartacus asked if the group in the North had survived, and instead of lying to him they let him know it was a bloodbath from which few escaped. The entire battle, I'd decided everyone dying was still a win if it bought enough time to let the other group escape. But, no, Pompey had to go and fuck that up.

Sign me up for a Caesar spinoff; aside from his attitudes on slaves and slavery (byproduct of living in the society he did), he was fairly sympathetic and could be likable. I wouldn't even mind seeing Crassus again--he's interesting because he seems aware that slaves and Romans are equal as people and only differentiated by the circumstances of their birth, but it makes it somehow worse that he then goes along and crucifies them because society expects it.

In the end, the greatest tragedy of the show is in how difficult it is to get anyone to actually watch it. The first few episodes just do it no favors, assuming someone is willing to give it another shot after the awful pilot. And it's too damned good to be ignored due to the failings of the first few episodes.

Manu

Probably the best finale I've seen for a show/movie/anything. I was a wreck by the end of the episode. Everything was perfect.

It's amazing how they managed to follow history, and still make it incredibly emotional. I grew so attached to the characters over the years it was sad to see them go. I even felt bad for Naevia. Gannicus seeing Oenomaus made me tear up.

I will miss this series so much. Hopefully we'll get a nice blu-ray box.

Magnus

Man, I was a wreck from Spartacus vs Crassus onward....what an emotional final three episodes, and a phenomenal ending to the entire series.

Those credits!

And what an ending for Gannicus' character! Short, simple, brutal, perfect. Yes!!

I'll echo the sentiments of others and exclaim just how on edge I was given the fact that we KNOW how history generally turned out. The fact that they still managed to create so much suspense these last four years...and especially in this final season...wow.

I haven't reviewed any of the show after each initial viewing, and I've always only watched it on cable, so it's going to be a fucking TREAT to dig into the inevitable series-bluray this holiday or next and go through it all in full HD, uncompressed glory.

Those credits....so many amazing characters, jesus. I literally loved almost every episode all these years. Only a few questionable ones in Seasons 2 and 3, but damn, what a show. Amazing.

Can't wait for a full bluray set of the whole thing to be announced.

Logistics question on the final battle:

How in the world did Spartacus and the rebels dig that first trench?

Magnus

Also, loved that Agron and Nasir loved. Awesome. Didn't see that coming.

Loved the callbacks and reminders of Batiatus throughout this season as well. Loved acknowledging that Spartacus still had one Batiatus brother on the field, with the same brand.

Also, wouldn't Gannicus have borne the same brand? Or I guess...even if it did, it wouldn't have counted since he was a free man, technically.

RS4-

I want to say that they figured where the battle would take place before hand and had it done for a while. Possibly why Spartacus stopped the courier from proceeding when he threw the spear as a warning.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Logistics question on the final battle:

I'm going to guess they already knew where the battle was going to take place and took measures beforehand. Sure, it looks/sounds a bit far fetched, but then again Spartacus actually created a goddamned bridge overnight with dirt and branches so his army could cross the trench and jump the rampart created by Crassus earlier on.

Dude was a complete badass also IRL.

Always wondered about this series, never got to check it out though...

Did i understand this correctly? It is now completely OVER right? That means, soon there should be a complete collection with all 3 seasons (or was it 4?) available for me to dig in !

I don't like having to wait for new episodes so i always watch after a series is done ;)

Elixtar

The saddest part for me was when Spartacus was kneeling with the spears in him and reached for the memento of Sura with a quivering hand. :(

I am so sad to see the show end. Nothing else on TV is as satisfying.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Did i understand this correctly? It is now completely OVER right? That means, soon there should be a complete collection with all 3 seasons (or was it 4?) available for me to dig in !

I don't like having to wait for new episodes so i always watch after a series is done ;)

It's done for good.

You should pick the entire season PLUS the Gods of the Arena prequel. It's awesome and adds a lot of depth to the show. It also serves to introduce one of the best characters.

Also, you should GTFO of this thread. There's pleny of spoilers you wouldn't see coming, even if you know the story of Spartacus. Seriously.

Magnus

Shit man, get out of this thread! Spoilers everywhere!

Also, viewing order is:

Season 1 (Blood and Sand)
Gods of the Arena
Season 2 (Vengeance)
Season 3 (War of the Damned)

And yeah, it's done, with the possibility of a spin-off coming for one of the principal characters in Season 3.

I'm going to guess they already knew where the battle was going to take place and took measures beforehand. Sure, it looks/sounds a bit far fetched, but then again Spartacus actually created a goddamned bridge overnight with dirt and branches so his army could cross the trench and jump the rampart created by Crassus earlier on.

Dude was a complete badass also IRL.

Didn't he bridge that impass with bodies?

Shit man, get out of this thread! Spoilers everywhere!

Also, viewing order is:

Season 1 (Blood and Sand)
Gods of the Arena
Season 2 (Vengeance)
Season 3 (War of the Damned)

And yeah, it's done, with the possibility of a spin-off coming for one of the principal characters in Season 3.

Didn't he bridge that impass with bodies?

Alright and with that i'm out then ;) tx guys

gdt

Fucking hell that was a perfect and insanely satisfying finale. I am Spartacus indeed!

Seeing Andy at the end made me well up a bit.

Zaph

I know it's little consolation, but you guys may be interested that Steven DeKnight's next project is a new sci-fi series called Incursion. It has a female lead inspired by the best heroine of all time, Ellen Ripley.

Starz has confirmed it's a very hard-R show (did they even have to?) and DeKnight describes it as Band of Brothers meets Halo meets Black Hawk Down, with each season set on a different planet.

I've been dying for a new, good sci-fi show (which TV is currently sorely missing) so this sounds perfect.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I know it's little consolation, but you guys may be interested that Steven DeKnight's next project is a new sci-fi series called Incursion. It has a female lead inspired by the best heroine of all time, Ellen Ripley.

Starz has confirmed it's a very hard-R show (did they even have to?) and DeKnight describes it as Band of Brothers meets Halo meets Black Hawk Down, with each season set on a different planet.

I've been dying for a new, good sci-fi show (which TV is currently sorely missing) so this sounds perfect.

I had no idea that show was moving forward for real.

My cock rages on.

Sounds all good to me.

Joni

Also, wouldn't Gannicus have borne the same brand? Or I guess...even if it did, it wouldn't have counted since he was a free man, technically.
Gannicus and Spartacus met after their time at Batiatus. Agron was the only gladiator there when they defeated Batiatus.

An incredible end to an incredible season and show.

Let's get down to it, it wasn't as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be see to Naevia die, I hate to say it but I actually felt a little sorry for her. The final sex scene was greatly appreciated, anything to see the lovely Sybill in the buff.

Gannicus, well there was no way anyone would be able to best in single combat but I didn't like his end at all. It really should have been on the battlefield. Possibly not at the hands of Caesar alone, but not the way I wanted or even expected him to go out.

Lugo - Fuck your mothers. What more needs to be said?

Saxa - I knew it was coming, but it still hurt.

Spartacus - Amazing fight with Crassus, I had hoped he would die there and then but his eventually passing on the mountains was nice and pretty damn emotional. Eyes were welling up, Liam's really grown into the role this season and this episode really showed just how much.

Overall, the episode was incredible. I honestly cannot remember the last series finale that was as satisfying, they did everything absolutely right. No loose ends, it was neat, it was brutal and damn satisfying.

Finally, the credits. Tears were shed when Andy appeared. So many memories. The ending and the credits also served to remind me how just stunning Sura was. Truly stunning. It's been a great ride and it's been my pleasure to have been a part of the great community in this thread. Sadly I wasn't active during seasons past, but this season has been made so much better by this thread and the usual suspects.

Thank you all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't think Liam really grew into the role, as much as they actually gave him something to work with. Season 2 was just a mess, where he particularly did nothing the entire time.

fanboi

Banned
Best series end episode in any series I have watched.

Andy :(

Also Liam has been GREAT as Spartacus, not Andy, but just a tad bit below... great work Liam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom