• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched it tonight. Absolutely epic and emotionally draining finale, as expected. Can't sum up all my thoughts, but here's a couple.

- Gannicus' end was absolutely brutal. They really enjoyed fucking with us and making us believe he would be possibly the only one to live through it. I honestly believed there was a zero percent chance he would die going into this episode, nevermind being crucified. I prepared myself for Spartacus' death, but not that of Gannicus.

- I find it hard to believe they would have passed up the chance to take out both Crassus AND Caesar on the hill before the battle. They could have easily slaughtered that entire group that their numbers were equal. It would have turned the entire tide of the battle. But they didn't because of.. "honor"? It's not like they didn't try to assassinate Crassus before, so why not now? Would it not have been worth it, considering whats at stake? Both could have been kicked off the cliff, and I can't appreciate the logic of NOT attempting to end it right there.

- Again, the gladiators all go down with cheap shots. Caesar didn't even have the balls to face Gannicus alone, instead hiding behind his men, having Gannicus surrounded and get all sliced up, and then when he is no longer a threat he goes in and knocks him out cold? I thought we were supposed to have some respect for Caesar, as someone who has some balls or some sense of self-respect/dignity? Why would anyone want to watch a rumored spinoff focusing on such a cowardly character who constantly runs and hides until he can administer the finishing blow to a crippled opponent? Would have been nice to see a real 1vs1 with Gannicus.

-Same for Spartacus. Spears through the back...sigh. Would have preferred if Crassus had fatally injured him instead of some more spear in the back bullshit. I hope Crassus realized how fucking pathetic he was, Spartacus managed to best him even after hours of gruelling battle and being severely injured beforehand. Again, I just wished him and Caesar were a bit more severely injured instead of looking all shiny and unscathed at the end. They deserved more pain.

In spite of the above, this show has been the most emotionally engaging bit of TV for me since season 1. What it has accomplished has me in complete awe, and I tip my hat to all involved. So much consistent brilliance, and has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. I will miss the fuck out of it.

fanboi

Banned
One problem I had with Liam in the beginning was that he wasn't muscular enough... but thats long gone...

But Anyds body was sent from Jupiter himself.

fanboi

Banned
Watched it tonight. Absolutely epic and emotionally draining finale, as expected. Can't sum up all my thoughts, but here's a couple.

- Gannicus' end was absolutely brutal. They really enjoyed fucking with us and making us believe he would be possibly the only one to live through it. I honestly believed there was a zero percent chance he would die going into this episode, nevermind being crucified. I prepared myself for Spartacus' death, but not that of Gannicus.

- I find it hard to believe they would have passed up the chance to take out both Crassus AND Caesar on the hill before the battle. They could have easily slaughtered that entire group that their numbers were equal. It would have turned the entire tide of the battle. But they didn't because of.. "honor"? It's not like they didn't try to assassinate Crassus before, so why not now? Would it not have been worth it, considering whats at stake? Both could have been kicked off the cliff, and I can't appreciate the logic of NOT attempting to end it right there.

- Again, the gladiators all go down with cheap shots. Caesar didn't even have the balls to face Gannicus alone, instead hiding behind his men, having Gannicus surrounded and get all sliced up, and then when he is no longer a threat he goes in and knocks him out cold? I thought we were supposed to have some respect for Caesar, as someone who has some balls or some sense of self-respect/dignity? Why would anyone want to watch a rumored spinoff focusing on such a cowardly character who constantly runs and hides until he can administer the finishing blow to a crippled opponent? Would have been nice to see a real 1vs1 with Gannicus.

-Same for Spartacus. Spears through the back...sigh. Would have preferred if Crassus had fatally injured him instead of some more spear in the back bullshit. I hope Crassus realized how fucking pathetic he was, Spartacus managed to best him even after hours of gruelling battle and being severely injured beforehand. Again, I just wished him and Caesar were a bit more severely injured instead of looking all shiny and unscathed at the end. They deserved more pain.

You are answering your own disslikes imo.

Gannicus was a bad ass, but Ceaser didn't dare fight him longer 1v1. (I also Think his Death was the worst of the bunch... like a slave).

Spartacus I'm content with since Crassus himself saw him above normal humans ("Only if you where born roman").

But great great ep.

fanboi

Banned
Power Level time:

Theocoles>>Oenomaus(Prime rememeber when he took on both Crixus and Sparty?)>Spartacus>Gannicus/Crixus>>>Agron/Lugo>>>>Ceasar>Crassus>>>>Nasir>>>>>>>>A dead dwarf you don't remember in season 1 episode 5>>>>Naevia

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Power Level time:

Oenomaus(Prime rememeber when he took on both Crixus and Sparty?)>Spartacus>Gannicus/Crixus>>>Agron/Lugo>>>>Ceasar>Crassus>>>>Nasir>>>>>>>>A dead dwarf you don't remember in season 1 episode 5>>>>Naevia

Put Theocoles (The shadow of death) ahead of Oenomaus and you've got it licked.

DieH@rd

Banned
jlAUWuQ.gif

This gif definetley deserves regular rotation on GAF. Saved.

Radec

Spartacus chasing Crassis at the top was like Dota's Sven with God's Strenght and BKB activated. Damn.

In spite of the above, this show has been the most emotionally engaging bit of TV for me since season 1. What it has accomplished has me in complete awe, and I tip my hat to all involved. So much consistent brilliance, and has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. I will miss the fuck out of it.

Cheap shots and fatal shots at the back are normal. Remember, they are are at war now, not in a gladiator's arena.

Sure a 1v1 clean fight would be much better for the fans and most likely Spartacus, Gannicus, and Crixus can own everyone, but that's not gonna happen if you think logically on their situation. And since DeKnight didn't go the Inglorious Basterds route, cheap shots and just plain numbers game are the ones that can take those Gods of the Arena down.

Amazing.

One of the best shows of all time, never a dull moment. Can't really say much else that hasn't been said...just an amazing finale and a great season.

And props to Liam for pulling off the role so well after Andy. I'll miss this show.

Sanjay

Wow. Best television finale I have ever seen. In fact, that was better than most feature films I've seen in the last few years. Perfect ending. Hope we get some more with a Caesar spinoff.

I caught up and watched it all, I'm sad now :(

But fuck history! anyone else wanted Spartacus to kill all the Romans and free all slaves.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
His smirk is the stuff of the legends, as so was his progression from treacherous douchebag to proper cunt with a badass streak (but proper cunt over all). His relationship with Lucretia was just... damn.

Also, for gay-GAF.

tumblr_mc9sufTZ7D1rwh85uo1_500.jpg

MG310

I love that they threw in a flash of Varro in those shots of Sura and Mira during the fight with Crassus.

Naevia was pretty much the only one who didn't get even a bit of hope in her death..figured they would have done something similar to what they did with Gannicus and have Crixus appear for a second before she faded out.

Ducarmel

NSFW tags don't save you from breaking the TOS HarryHengst I would edit that post.

But yeah I was like woah at that scene watched it twice.

Shadow780

Don't forget Melitta.

http://i.imgur.com/KcIrEep.jpg[IMG]

Mmmm....

Still, Sybil and Saxa were both damn stunning...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RtB8oNk.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

and [URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=Laura+Surrich&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=atRqUZG3O6_E4AOR7IHYAg&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1286&bih=929"]Laura Surrich aka doggy slave girl from S1[/URL]

I can't stop watching the finale. It's so goddamn fucking good. And now that I see how it ends it makes me appreciate the entire series even more. Such a good fucking show. Can't wait until the Blu Ray Box set comes out. Day fucking 1 right here. This show will be fucking missed.

I AM SPARTACUS!!!!

tumblr_mk4r47ohly1qhw9vxo1_500.gif
tumblr_mk4r47ohly1qhw9vxo2_500.gif

tumblr_ml6i8rnza11qi532yo2_500.gif
tumblr_mj0rkokVrK1ql1twjo1_r2_500.gif

tumblr_m04x9bcUN91qgoafa.gif
tumblr_ml6kkdI42N1qi80lpo1_500.gif

Dennis

Banned
The style they used for the fight scenes in the final was less slow-mo and more brutally realistic that before. This added appreciated gravitas.

params7

Banned
Going to miss the hell out of this show. It was epic throughout. Finale was just exceptional in every sense. Sparty vs Crassus, Gannicus vs Ceasar, the others and the dialogues were top notch. This series is one of the best I've ever seen on TV.

They all including Crixus received glorious deaths. They don't know Ceasar will die the worst of them all with several stab wounds when he's least expecting it.

Time to get this series on blu-ray now, and here's hoping they continue with the Caesar/Crassus spinoff.

Rur0ni

Nick Tarabay should be getting way more work. I don't understand why he isn't in movies.

John Hannah needs to be in more movies too. Dude needs to be in the main villain in a bond movie or 2.
Nick Tarabay I saw in Crash (series), did well there too. He is in the new Star Trek movie.

Zaph

If he's serious about the whole 50/50 men/women army thing, I really hope DeKnight casts Saxa in his (hopefully) new show. She'd make a badass space soldier/Anya (and have her duel wield two small weapons as a throwback). If he could also squeeze Ludo in with a huge Warhammer 40k-like weapon, I think I'd just die during the first episode.

Anyway, wasn't ready to fully let go of Spartacus this weekend so I've been watching Vikings. It's not god-tier, but still a decent warm down.

params7

Banned
If he's serious about the whole 50/50 men/women army thing, I really hope DeKnight casts Saxa in his (hopefully) new show. She'd make a badass space soldier/Anya (and have her duel wield two small weapons as a throwback). If he could also squeeze Ludo in with a huge Warhammer 40k-like weapon, I think I'd just die during the first episode.

Anyway, wasn't ready to fully let go of Spartacus this weekend so I've been watching Vikings. It's not god-tier, but still a decent warm down.

Vikings is all we have left until they decide to continue with Caesar spinoff.

Or until they decide to continue Rome ;_;

Zaph

Vikings is all we have left until they decide to continue with Caesar spinoff.

Or until they decide to continue Rome ;_;
I was 50/50 on a Ceasar spin-off because that actor is so douchy, but would have watched it if they portrayed him more of a warrior than tactician to avoid being too similar to Rome. However the final fight with Gannicus destroyed any hope for that character, his pathetic fighting style made it impossible to ever be a protagonist.

Also, no DeKnight to write fantastic dialogue? Forget it.

It still hurts that HBO said if they had known just how huge the DVD, bluray and digital sales of Rome and Carnival would be, they wouldn't have been cancelled. :(

Enosh

They all including Crixus received glorious deaths.
crucifixion was one of the worst and most degrading deaths in roman times, hence why it was only reserved for slaves or people of very low status, even the romans didn't want to subject other romans to it

hence why Ceasar said "ignoble end", i didn't understand it at first too, thought he said noble and was confused, but watching it the second time I heard ignoble, still had no idea and googled it, it means "characterized by baseness, lowness, or meanness" he is basically saying that gannicus who used to be a god in arena died like a meaningless slave

so yeah gannicus didn't get a glorious death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom