• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Controversy: Gamers Are Stupid and Don't Know Sh*t About Development

Whitecrow

Banned
Whatever floats your boat. You are stupid, I cant deny nor confirm that assesment.
I'd say I'm not, but thanks.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I had some experience as a game designer, OP is not wrong in a sense the gamer knows little about game development.

However, game as a product needs to please its targeted audience, there is no excuse for that, consumer doesn't need to know, this is game dev 101

As for the SM2 "controversy", people that were complaining is a minority compare to the entire demographic of its targeted user base.

Even if the controversies are true, Sony themselves are to blame for setting the expectation too high. If you look at Uncharted 4 which is a 2016 game, if you told me this game's graphic was made in 2023 I would believe you, however this type of precedence is a double edge sword that will bite them later, they created this fanbase that can't take anything less for graphic.

I like good graphics too, but it alone was never the deciding factor for my enjoyment, for me Housemarque's Returnal is more than enough in terms of visual

Last edited:

Warablo

It was gonna be on the same engine, no idea why people expecting Spiderman 2 to be this crazy showcase. It's a good superhero game, don't know what people were expecting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was gonna be on the same engine, no idea why people expecting Spiderman 2 to be this crazy showcase. It's a good superhero game, don't know what people were expecting.
Most people complaining don't even know what they are expecting.

Then they whip out tech demos like the thread title suggests of them. ;)

And they do this every gen no matter how many times devs and other users correct them, the pure definition of insanity.

Buggy Loop

im_retarded_quantum_leap.gif

I like this version with Berserk Guts theme

Gamers aren't stupid, just naive with perhaps an acute case of memory loss. People need to get used to the idea that graphical improvements are slowing down. We have been seeing this trend for the last 30 years. We will have the same argument come the PS6 which will have an even a smaller jump. Why is my $500 console not as good as a $4000 PC? Etc. I have had one response which was why buy a next gen console then if that's the case. The design of cars haven't changed for the last 50 years but you would still buy one for whatever improvements it may have. All industries go through a process of high innovation and improvement at the start. Films, cars etc and then when the industry matures and ultimately becomes more complicated, it stagnated. We are all adults here, yet we seem to regress and act like the gaming industry is in a bubble and isn't subject to the same rules as everything else.

BbMajor7th

It wasn't the graphics that bothered me. It just looked like same game with new powers. Spider-Man was a good game and I platted it. Miles Morales was good, but I'd already played Spider-Man, so I didn't end up finishing it. Spider-Man 2 looks like those two games combined. I don't need three of the same game in five years.

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Nico_D

People are worried about graphics. I'm more worried how in the trailer the gameplay looks worse than in the original: like in any typical sequel, more powerful special attacks, flying/gliding (in the end, more of former with a bit planning), bigger set pieces. Wider, not deeper.

skit_data

I'll wait til the game is finished and released before saying anything about the graphics being better or worse than the initial reveal trailer. The whole time of day and far out third person perspective aspect makes it hard to say anything about the details.

Last edited:

fermcr

Spider-Man 2 looks like Spider-Man 1... with a lot of QTA's. Guess it's the cinematic experience.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
OP they hate you because you dare to tell them the truth. Intellectuals such as myself have known this for a long time. Good luck getting the ignorant sheeple to understand.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The game looks great. I'm a Switch gamer so for me it looked a bit better than TotK visually, a tad.
But again, I'm coming from TotK that's a bit more interactive, a tad.
That's two opposite tads cancelling each other out :p

Basically what I read you're saying is that just like Spiderman 2, TOTK is an outdated AAA production... a tad.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

MikeM

Imagine judging an open world game by one battle and set piece.

I thought it looked great. The symbiote suit had some awesome details in the gameplay.

aries_71

Pretty sure most of those people aren't around here now.
Darn, I’m getting old… during those days there was a huge controversy with the KZ2 cinematic target compared to the final in-game version. Typical Neogaf drama. During those days, the phrase ”pre-pre-pre alpha” become a meme meaning that the final version would look a lot better, even if only a few months/weeks were left. Little has changed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Darn, I’m getting old… during those days there was a huge controversy with the KZ2 cinematic target compared to the final in-game version. Typical Neogaf drama. During those days, the phrase ”pre-pre-pre alpha” become a meme meaning that the final version would look a lot better, even if only a few months/weeks were left. Little has changed.
I remember. I thought it was pretty impressive how close they came to a CGI video.

And sadly, we don't have death animations as good as that in games since.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not though. I'm sorry most of you guys consider themselves stupid.

I mean, not my fault if most of you rather look on the pixel details of the ground or Abby hairy ass than actually play the game. I guess thats why most of devs and players are kinda touchy about Tears of Kingdom.
I could say Spider-man looks pretty fine imo. But its not like I'm gonna pick a bone who doesn't agree with me.

Top Bottom