• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 | Preview Thread

NikuNashi

Well, we'll see I suppose. I think it's obvious it'll be in some conversations, as will almost every game that has an average of 8 or higher (including Starfield and even The Game That Shall Not Be Named), but it won't be on most finalized lists and won't win the actual award of the vast majority of sites and publications.

Spider-Man 2 looks to be doing everything that 1 (and Miles Morales) did, on a non-technical level, with seemingly minor changes. Neither of the previous games won any Game of the Year awards, that I know of, and I think it's silly to think this will.

Do you happen to have this week's lottery numbers too?

Damn that Starfield 83 got the xboys shook.

Crayon

I finally took a closer look at this gameplay. As a graphics whore, I have to say this looks great. The lighting and post effects are awesome. The people's faces look bad in comparison to everything else, though. I know they are supposed to look somewhat stylized but they look like they are from another game. A less good looking game. Besides that, everything is amazing. That lizard in particular didn't look quite like anything I've seen in a game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
XVGoS2X.jpg

Parris is a known Xbox shill. He’s clearly insinuating the Spider-Man 2 preview event right?
He was not going alone… maybe Booty or Greenberg was with him and he is talking about them :LOL: .

midnightAI

Untrue. Some examples include GTA5/RDR2/Assassin's Creed changes time for story missions. All the games I mentioned have dynamic time/weather.

I don't see this as a hardware limitation. This is probably more of a time/budget decision.
Not missions, set pieces, such as the Lizard chase sequence up the building, that could look bad if it was set at a different time of day. Set pieces are supposed to be some of the main spectacles in the game, if you don't have control of the lighting it wouldn't look as good. Not saying you couldn't do it but it would be extremely hard. It's certainly not a hardware limitation (and I didn't say it was, because it isn't) it's all about control of the scene.

Film does the exact same thing. Look at the fight between Vulture and Spider Man in Spider Man homecoming, the plane gets wrecked, parts of the aircraft strewn around on fire to set the scene set at night. If that was set during the day the scene wouldn't look as good. With the Spider Man games this is no different.

My only gripes so far:

1. Still no physics based swinging
2. Combat is still the same with marginal upgrades.

Other than that, looks damn fun. Let's hope story is actually good and not complete and utter ass like Miles Morales

Fredrik

He did receive the limited edition console + controller, so MAYBE he was invited after all.
He was there and played it and loved it and interviewed the dev. It’s quite clear from his posts that he’s not a fan of the platform wars, he has a preference but mostly just like to play great games and sounds frustrated at how the talk goes lately. He has had some spot on rants I can agree with 100% as someone who dip my toes everywhere and lean mostly toward the PC. My take is that gaming fans has turned into sports fans and soon there will be real fights and hooligans at the gaming events. Hopefully the next generation kids will handle it better.

sendit

Not missions, set pieces, such as the Lizard chase sequence up the building, that could look bad if it was set at a different time of day. Set pieces are supposed to be some of the main spectacles in the game, if you don't have control of the lighting it wouldn't look as good. Not saying you couldn't do it but it would be extremely hard. It's certainly not a hardware limitation (and I didn't say it was, because it isn't) it's all about control of the scene.

Film does the exact same thing. Look at the fight between Vulture and Spider Man in Spider Man homecoming, the plane gets wrecked, parts of the aircraft strewn around on fire to set the scene set at night. If that was set during the day the scene wouldn't look as good. With the Spider Man games this is no different.
…..GTA5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 both have set pieces that forward time to ensure the right lighting is in place scene by scene. Additionally, both GTA5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 have day and night cycles with dynamic weather. Another example of a game with massive set pieces is Horizon FW. This game also has day and night cycles with dynamic weather.

This isn’t a hard problem to solve as other games just forward time when the mission starts.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
…..GTA5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 both have set pieces that forward time to ensure the right lighting is in place scene by scene. Additionally, both GTA5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 have day and night cycles with dynamic weather. Another example of a game with massive set pieces is Horizon FW. This game also has day and night cycles with dynamic weather.

This isn’t a hard problem to solve as other games just forward time when the mission starts.
Then you need to force the ToD to stop if the player takes too long in those sections. As much as I like dynamic ToD and weather (I love my Shenmue) I think they did the right thing by focusing on other areas in this game.

ProtoByte

Well since people are oversensitive bitches who got my thread closed (while I see the much more baity fanboy war thread about the game and "disingenuous discourse is still up), I guess I'll just say it here, and wait for the replies telling me I'm dirtying up the thread.

I'm not enthused by "more of the same" for this game in particular because it's the third installment in the series, and the first genuine next-gen only AAA game from PlayStation so far. There's a lot more they could have done mechanically with this game.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Well since people are oversensitive bitches who got my thread closed (while I see the much more baity fanboy war thread about the game and "disingenuous discourse is still up), I guess I'll just say it here, and wait for the replies telling me I'm dirtying up the thread.

I'm not enthused by "more of the same" for this game in particular because it's the third installment in the series, and the first genuine next-gen only AAA game from PlayStation so far. There's a lot more they could have done mechanically with this game.
A pointless thread is a pointless thread. Nothing you said in there warranted its own. And looking at your reply in here (and the few in there), it looks like you have the insecurities.

Also, PlayStation already released "genuine" next-gen AAA only games (four if we include Remasters) and they're called Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Returnal.

Last edited:

John Wick

Yeah, but since Sony was going to be pull Spider-Man out of the MCU when they got into that back and forth with Disney, wouldn't it possible that it’s more than just exclusive licensing?

I believe it’s a bit of a confusing situation regarding the Spider-Man IP.
Sony have the movie rights only. The gaming rights are with Marvel now.

John Wick

I'm not saying it's not a good game; I Earned a Platinum for it. I'm saying that it was itself already derivative of 4 Batman games and this new one is seemingly derivative of that, so the chances are very low that it wins any major Game of the Year awards.

Game of the Year awards are not based on my opinion of a particular game, believe it or not; they tend to be based around the critical consensus. And I think the critical consensus will be that it isn't Game of the Year material. Certainly not a winner.
How do you know? Did you travel to the future in your Delorean?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can't imagine he was invited to an Insomniac event.
If it was the SM2 event he would have a video up about it to get his clicks
XVGoS2X.jpg

Parris is a known Xbox shill. He’s clearly insinuating the Spider-Man 2 preview event right?
He also says its a creator admit to console warring to pay bills and everyone should know that already, its what drives clicks for the Youtubers and such

ProtoByte

A pointless thread is a pointless thread. Nothing you said in there warranted its own.
And looking at your reply in here (and the few in there), it looks like you have the insecurities.
Oh, fuck off dude. Could you be more of a fart sniffing jackass? As predicted, all you're responding with is smarmy shit.

It was no less unnecessary than any other opinion thread. You've deemed it unnecessary because you don't like what it says, though I'm sure you've not even read it. Clown.

Also, PlayStation already released "genuine" next-gen AAA only games (four if we include Remasters), but they're called Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Returnal.
Returnal is not the height of AAA production in any metric, and unfortunately, its quite clear nobody cares about it with its <800k sales. Ratchet sold 1 million last week were updated, and is using f a gameplay model that has stayed the same since the mid 2000s. Please, spare me the autistically obtuse need for every prefix in the book. "Genuine, major AAA production from a first party studio late enough in the PS5's life cycle to reasonably expect true enhancements in
game mechanics that have no foundations in previous gen hardware".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If it was the SM2 event he would have a video up about it to get his clicks

He also says its a creator admit to console warring to pay bills and everyone should know that already, its what drives clicks for the Youtubers and such

Yeah, good points. And to Parris' credit he is frowning upon what was said. I've only seen him a couple of times but he seems like a good dude.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Oh, fuck off dude. Could you be more of a fart sniffing jackass? As predicted, all you're responding with is smarmy shit.

Returnal is not the height of AAA production in any metric, and unfortunately, its quite clear nobody cares about it with its <800k sales. Ratchet sold 1 million last week were updated, and is using f a gameplay model that has stayed the same since the mid 2000s. Please, spare me the autistically obtuse need for every prefix in the book. "Genuine, major AAA production from a first party studio late enough in the PS5's life cycle to reasonably expect true enhancements in
Like I said, the insecurities are yours alone. Nobody's fault you crack at the slightest bit of criticism. Get over yourself. :pie_savoring:

To the point — nobody said anything about the "height of AAA production". You said next gen only AAA and that's what the games I mentioned are. How you feel about them personally is irrelevant, they are only on the next gen machine with a AAA budget, just like Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Like I said, the insecurities are yours alone. Nobody's fault you crack at the slightest bit of criticism. Get over yourself.
The only that's cracked is your logic. The thread got locked because of threadwhiners. That's not slight criticism, and it's not consistent.

Now, to what's relevant, nobody said anything about the "height of AAA production". You said next gen only AAA and that's what the games I mentioned are. :)
Again, bad faith bordering on autism. Everybody implicitly knows that fucking Ratchet, Returnal and remasters are not what anyone envisioned or wants to be the defining frame for next gen PS Studios titles. The same way nobody thought Shadowfall, Second Son, or Knack were the same for the PS4.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The only that's cracked is your logic. The thread got locked because of threadwhiners. That's not slight criticism, and it's not consistent.

Again, bad faith bordering on autism. Everybody implicitly knows that fucking Ratchet, Returnal and remasters are not what anyone envisioned or wants to be the defining frame for next gen PS Studios titles. The same way nobody thought Shadowfall, Second Son, or Knack were the same for the PS4.
Your thread got locked because it was swimmin' in the pool of Bullshit! :p Plus, it could have easily been added to the countless other Spider-Man threads that frequent the front page.

Second part — Ratchet and Returnal were actually pretty anticipated and the former was used in plenty of next gen only discussions as a good showcase of what the hardware could do. Just because you were asleep at the wheel doesn't mean it went over everyone else's heads. "Bad faith" you say? Where are the complaints for the many, many AAA games that have yet to change their formulas around? Add something new? What new AAA (this is important, I guess) sequels aren't more of the same?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Just makes sense for your opinion about the preview to go here rather than your own thread my man.

Unknown?

It was no less unnecessary than any other opinion thread. You've deemed it unnecessary because you don't like what it says, though I'm sure you've not even read it. Clown.

Nah you're full of crap. When has a new generation of console or Nvidia card ever brought in a whole new way to play?

Gameplay can be improved with more power but it doesn't need power to evolve. If this is your standard then you must not be happy with any 3rd party games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My only gripes so far:

1. Still no physics based swinging
2. Combat is still the same with marginal upgrades.

Other than that, looks damn fun. Let's hope story is actually good and not complete and utter ass like Miles Morales
  1. There is physics-based swinging, but it's not a hardcore simulation (of course). You can even loop-the-loop vertically as well as horizontally.
  2. Several reviews cited that combat is the biggest upgrade in this game.
jBw6Pev.jpg

ProtoByte

Nah you're full of crap. When has a new generation of console or Nvidia card ever brought in a whole new way to play?
As I said in the now locked thread:
>That's the funny thing. I say "next gen" when a lot of this stuff has actually been achieved before 2 gens back. I think the bottlenecked CPUs last gen really had a bad effect on game design.

I'm not asking for a reinvention of the wheel. I'm asking for significant sensible, improvements in areas that already exist and the reintroduction of stuff that has actively regressed since the late 2000s. Why you don't understand that is beyond me.

Gameplay can be improved with more power but it doesn't need power to evolve.
Of course not. But the power facilitates and presumably quickens that evolution. At least, it removes the excuse that the technology isn't there for it.

If this is your standard then you must not be happy with any 3rd party games.
As a matter of fact, I am impressed with very few 3rd party games. Most people who are core/hardcore enough to post on forums seem to be on that wavelength, given how much shit publishers like Activision, EA and Ubisoft enjoy for pumping out barely indistinguishable shit (whether or not it makes sense ala sports games), and how much hype the rare projects like Cyberjunk, Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate get for either promising the moon on a stick, or delivering on extraordinary degrees of quality that most games don't get to.

Last edited:

Unknown?

As I said in the now locked thread:
>That's the funny thing. I say "next gen" when a lot of this stuff has actually been achieved before 2 gens back. I think the bottlenecked CPUs last gen really had a bad effect on game design.

I'm not asking for a reinvention of the wheel. I'm asking for significant sensible, improvements in areas that already exist and the reintroduction of stuff that has actively regressed since the late 2000s. Why you don't understand that is beyond me.

Of course not. But the power facilitates and presumably quickens that evolution. At least, it removes the excuse that the technology isn't there for it.

As a matter of fact, I am impressed with very few 3rd party games. Most people who are core/hardckre enough seem to be on that wavelength, given how much shit publishers like Activision, EA and Ubisoft enjoy for pumping out barely indistinguishable shit (whether or not it makes sense ala sports games), and how much hype the rare projects like Cyberjunk, Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate get for either promising the moon on a stick, or delivering on extraordinary degrees of quality that most games don't get to.
Fair enough.

Top Bottom