• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 | Preview Thread

Topher

Gold Member
Interaction with spidey during swinging is primarily driven by animation. It being driven more by physics doesn't mean realistic; the variables in said system can be changed to be more practical or fun in a game.

I think what ProtoByte is suggesting is something more organic.

Motion Matching techniques would be great. Blending highly granular animations with the reactivity of a tweaked physical-based approach.

Spidey is great in general swinging but there are times where you want to build further momentum and you can feel yourself butting up against the limitations of the animations. The same thing with switching animations, they obscure drastic changes in states with varying degrees of success, but sometimes it's jarring.

I don't recall anything being jarring about the animations. I guess I would have to see an example. Outside of that, I'm just not sure how much of what you are talking about would actually add anything to the swing. Most of it is split millisecond transitions.

Topher

Gold Member
Is that the correct thread name? I thought it was "slimy snake's it's only next gen when I say so" thread?

Happy You Good GIF

anybody got a link to a high quality gif or video of just the fast travel bit from the trailer please? couldn't find it on reddit.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
anybody got a link to a high quality gif or video of just the fast travel bit from the trailer please? couldn't find it on reddit.
join us in the "graphical fidelity i expect this gen" thread and you'll see those gifs posted about 500 times. just go back a few pages from the last

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am not from the US, if you are from there, unfortunately. One retailer in my country (India) had a 10% discount or pre-order, a further 10% discount if subscribed to their gaming pass and a further 5% cashback on their credit card. Pretty good deal.
Nice, congrats! 10% retail discount on pre-order is pretty rare. India men rehny k faiday, I guess 😛

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Nice, congrats! 10% retail discount on pre-order is pretty rare. India men rehny k faiday, I guess 😛

Haha yeah. You a desi too? :p

Seriously I didn't realize how rare this 10% off on specific credit cards etc was in other countries, or an india thing. I was in Europe trying to buy a Pixel phone and when I asked them if there was a discount on any credit card, they just couldn't grasp the concept. They just couldn't understand it!

Last edited:
Remember when gaffers were saying this is just spiderman PS4 with higher res???
This game is gonna look fantastic graphically and play amazing. I hope every concerned troll has the courage to come and eat their crow cold.
There was an embarrassing amount of poster's who really undersold the games graphics at that showcase. It looked good then and looks better now, but make no mistake about it's not close to that reveal trailer and that's probably why some are so hard on it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Haha yeah. You a desi too? :p

Seriously I didn't realize how rare this 10% off on specific credit cards etc was in other countries, or an india thing. I was in Europe trying to buy a Pixel phone and when I asked them if there was a discount on any credit card, they just couldn't grasp the concept. They just couldn't understand it!
adamsapple adamsapple - look, I found another desi bro. Come on, join us!

vs1j1G.gif

GymWolf

It's mostly only Miles' mom, she has a very plasticky face. Otherwise they all look great, Miles emotes properly but it's not going for hyperrealism anyways like a ND game would.
Nah, many characters looks bad for nextgen standards, this is henry osbourne that probably has a big role in the story and it looks kinda terrible for a ps5 nextgen only game, many and many ps4 characters look way better.

OwFHlUI.png

There are throw away characters with one single line of dialogue in forbidden wear that smash poor harry.

Insomniac is just not as good as guerrilla or nd or even bend with realistic human faces even if their tech is good like for the hairs (still way worse hairs than fucking fifa tho)

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Eh....I don't recall any fan of superhero games, be it Batman, Spiderman, whatever, suggesting the games be more like Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of fans of those games largely don't play superhero games at all. What works in one genre doesn't necessarily work in others.
Oh Jesus. I'm someone who think FromSoftware is overrated and haven't yet played Baldur's Gate 3. I'm saying that the underlying design philosophy of less hand holding, more interactive and systemically driven gameplay experiences is a good one, actually exemplified by either of those games or not. And superhero games shouldn't ignore that out fear that their audience is too casual or whatever the fuck.

I mean, the "well, these games are different mentality" is what plagued licensed IP until Arkham came along and was prolific for doing the opposite. That's why we have games like Spider-Man or Arkham at all in the first place.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Yeah, these are just moves (some pretty cool; some pretty awful). This is not "physics-based" either.
The difference in locomotion is just visibly obvious. You can see how the pendulum kicks in when the web is taught, which varies, as compared to a relatively fixed and smooth sine wave of the Insomniac games. Again, one driven by physics first, and the other driven by animations.

I mean, the fact that you've identified that some of these moves look good and others don't shows that. Insomniac meanwhile has literally said that their design philosophy for swinging was to ensure that everyone looked good and purposeful when controlling Spider-Man.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh Jesus. I'm someone who think FromSoftware is overrated and haven't yet played Baldur's Gate 3. I'm saying that the underlying design philosophy of less hand holding, more interactive and systemically driven gameplay experiences is a good one, actually exemplified by either of those games or not. And superhero games shouldn't ignore that out fear that their audience is too casual or whatever the fuck.

I mean, the "well, there games are different mentality" is what plagued licensed IP until Arkham came along and was prolific for doing the opposite. That's why we have games like Spider-Man or Arkham at all in the first place.
In a beat-em-up game that are arcadey by nature?

Arkham didn't do the opposite. They are also arcadey beat-em-up games, built on the same foundation as Streets of Rage -- just with mechanics like parry and a 3D view.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The difference in locomotion is just visibly obvious. You can see how the pendulum kicks in when the web is taught, which varies, as compared to a relatively fixed and smooth sine wave of the Insomniac games. Again, one driven by physics first, and the other driven by animations.

I mean, the fact that you've identified that some of these moves look good and others don't shows that. Insomniac meanwhile has literally said that their design philosophy for swinging was to ensure that everyone looked good and purposeful when controlling Spider-Man.
By good and bad, I mean the moves themselves.

I don't agree with you on this at all. The video shows that you can literally stay afloat indefinitely by doing symbiote melee attacks while in the air. That's not based on physics at all.
All these games are arcadey and not simulated in nature - not even close, I'd say: Web of Shadows, Arkham, Insomniac's Spider-Man. They are all arcadey beat-em-up games with swinging animations that are not grounded in reality or simulative in nature. And that's clearly by design.

ProtoByte

In a beat-em-up game that are arcadey by nature?

Arkham didn't do the opposite. They are also arcadey beat-em-up games, built on the same foundation as Streets of Rage -- just with mechanics like parry and a 3D view.
What? What does arcadey mean to you? Because this isn't fucking Streets kf Rage, and YES, Arkham absolutely did buck the trend of lazy "just beat-em-ups" for superhero games. Suggesting otherwise is asinine.

By good and bad, I mean the moves themselves.

I don't agree with you on this at all. The video shows that you can literally stay afloat indefinitely by doing symbiote melee attacks while in the air. That's not based on physics at all.
Fuck me. I will repeat what I said to Topher earlier in the thread on this subject:

>Tears of the Kingdom just came out in May and was praised for its physics-based gameplay. I don't remember anyone claiming that BoTW/ToTK had realistic physics. They had their own in game physics laws, and the gameplay abided by them.

Again, anyone with eyes can see the difference in locomotion. The thing is that it's not just the webswinging - the city itself was more physics-sensitive than Insomniac's games. You or your enemies could get punched into cars, storefronts, letterboxes and such anywhere in the world, and they would move, get destroyed or even blow up. If you want to move a trash can in Insomniac's games, you have to press L1+R1 for a completely canned and set animation.

All these games are arcadey and not simulated in nature - not even close, I'd say: Web of Shadows, Arkham, Insomniac's Spider-Man. They are all arcadey beat-em-up games with swinging animations that are not grounded in reality or simulative in nature. And that's clearly by design.
That design is old and doesn't take full advantage of the characters or the technology. Simple as.

Again, we're not talking about reality here. We're talking about player or enemy action -> consequence.

Topher

Gold Member

I mean, the "well, there games are different mentality" is what plagued licensed IP until Arkham came along and was prolific for doing the opposite. That's why we have games like Spider-Man or Arkham at all in the first place.

"Oh Jesus"

Good grief, man. You need to calm down. I was going to respond, but seeing your replies to Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 .......nevermind. It's just figure games. Agree to disagree and move on.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What? What does arcadey mean to you? Because this isn't fucking Streets kf Rage, and YES, Arkham absolutely did buck the trend of lazy "just beat-em-ups" for superhero games. Suggesting otherwise is asinine.

Fuck me. I will repeat what I said to Topher earlier in the thread on this subject:

>Tears of the Kingdom just came out in May and was praised for its physics-based gameplay. I don't remember anyone claiming that BoTW/ToTK had realistic physics. They had their own in game physics laws, and the gameplay abided by them.

Again, anyone with eyes can see the difference in locomotion. The thing is that it's not just the webswinging - the city itself was more physics-sensitive than Insomniac's games. You or your enemies could get punched into cars, storefronts, letterboxes and such anywhere in the world, and they would move, get destroyed or even blow up. If you want to move a trash can in Insomniac's games, you have to press L1+R1 for a completely canned and set animation.

That design is old and doesn't take full advantage of the characters or the technology. Simple as.

Again, we're not talking about reality here. We're talking about player or enemy action -> consequence.
Breathe In Help GIF

ProtoByte

"Oh Jesus"

Good grief, man. You need to calm down. I was going to respond, but seeing your replies to Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 .......nevermind. It's just figure games. Agree to disagree and move on.
Ah yes, the old "You're crazy" method of argumentation. There's nothing frenzied about my replies to either of you. The Jesus comment, two words in paragraphs of rational statements, was directed at your almost wilfully obtuse insinuation that I was saying Spider-Man should be more like Baldur's Gate or Elden Ring in some kind of mechanical way. And that was clearly the insinuation, given the replies joking around about making Spider-Man a turn based RPG.

Ah yes, the old "You're crazy" method of argumentation. There's nothing frenzied about my replies to either of you. The Jesus comment, two words in paragraphs of rational statements, was directed at your almost wilfully obtuse insinuation that I was saying Spider-Man should be more like Baldur's Gate or Elden Ring in some kind of mechanical way. And that was clearly the insinuation, given the replies joking around about making Spider-Man a turn based RPG.

This is why I had your thread closed

They still do, they're just doing it more covert in threads like the one about best next-gen graphics 🙃.

Even if it's true and this now looks totally "next gen amazeballs" (I think it looks much improved now and more in line with how a ps5 exclusive should be ..but not mind blowing by any stretch), you can't blame me or anyone else who was saying it looked like Miles Morales after the initial gameplay because it DID! It looked only minimally improved over Miles Morales back in June ..which was a cross gen game.

Thank goodness they improved it but you guys think you're having some "gotcha" moment when no, you're sort of demonstrating the same rabbid over-enthusiam you did after that first gameplay demo. It's also very immature to frame this as some kind of attempt at purposely downplaying the game, when many of the criticisms came from PS5 and Spiderman 1 fans to begin with.

Last edited:

saintjules

Edit: He does raise the main point about gameplay being pretty samey and I agree.

I'd like to see more risk taking in games in terms of the actual gameplay. Not necessarily with Spider-Man, but with games that devs under Sony are making moving forward. Hard to write a hit record I'll say but there has to be the next set of innovative ideas.

Dare I say Astrobot had some unique things to the game thanks to the Dualsense. Maybe more games need to incorporate that.

These guys want the same stuff over and vore again 😂

tJ1qz3Y.jpg

Last edited:

CGNoire

Interaction with spidey during swinging is primarily driven by animation. It being driven more by physics doesn't mean realistic; the variables in said system can be changed to be more practical or fun in a game.

I think what ProtoByte is suggesting is something more organic.

Motion Matching techniques would be great. Blending highly granular animations with the reactivity of a tweaked physical-based approach.

Spidey is great in general swinging but there are times where you want to build further momentum and you can feel yourself butting up against the limitations of the animations. The same thing with switching animations, they obscure drastic changes in states with varying degrees of success, but sometimes it's jarring.
There also isnt a realistic sense of building inertial momentum like the 2004 game. Its highly contrived in the 2018 game like a some kind of temporary speed modifier instead of a product of and acutal realistic inertial equation.

Top Bottom