• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 trailer was running realtime on a PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The trailer did mention that it was running on a PS5 but that doesnt always mean it's realtime so it's good to get some confirmation. Easily the best looking game at the show.

From the Lead VFX Artist over at Insomniac.

P.S Diminishing-returns Squad on suicide watch. Literally looks as good as the CG ad for Miles. Exactly what I expected from next gen games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I remain sceptical it will be with that level of graphical fidelity. I'm sure it'll look fine regardless.
i believe it will run at 30fps, unless turning off RT, or having a perfomrance RT mode, i mean Imsomniac is good at this : P

Paulxo87

Impressive but not surprising. If you took the ratchet engine and upgraded it a bit and made it into spiderman this is the natural result of the visual quality. The sense of scale is going to be a lot larger as well. You can already tell by the store front in the video.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I need to watch it again when I get home on the TV or something. I watched it on my phone and honestly it looks almost exactly like the last game. Same suit, same two characters just literally standing there. Then like 1 second of Venom's face.

I genuinely don't see anything that impressive. 🤷‍♂️ "whoaaaaa that shot of Spider Man standing there on a street for like 5 seconds was in real timeeeeee."

What is the impressive part, since I can't tell yet? The fabric on his suit? The lighting? The environment?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is what not being cross-gen gets you.
Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Hugare

I guess I need to watch it again when I get home on the TV or something. I watched it on my phone and honestly it looks almost exactly like the last game. Same suit, same two characters just literally standing there. Then like 1 second of Venom's face.

I genuinely don't see anything that impressive. 🤷‍♂️ "whoaaaaa that shot of Spider Man standing there on a street for like 5 seconds was in real timeeeeee."

What is the impressive part, since I can't tell yet? The fabric on his suit? The lighting? The environment?
Yes? Obviously

Lighting is impressive as fuck. CG level good. The environment is prefectly lit. MM and Spider-man running on PS5 looks last gen compared to it (as they should)

Texture on both spiders are a decent step up

Play or watch videos of past Spider-man games and you'll notice the big leap

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes? Obviously

Lighting is impressive as fuck. CG level good. The environment is prefectly lit. MM and Spider-man running on PS5 looks last gen comosred to it (as they should)

Texture on both spiders are a decent step up

Play or watch videos of past Spider-man games and you'll notice the big leap
Does anyone have any good pictures we can compare side by side? I'm just googling and this is obviously kind of a blurred one. But I mean ... it looks like the same thing to me? The Remastered game already looked really good, and his suit and fabrics were updated in that too.

Screen_Shot_2021_09_09_at_4.49.21_PM.png

Marvels-Spider-Man-2-Game-New-Powers-Peter-Miles.jpg

The lighting does look better though for sure. I'll give it that. I can actually see that. Other than the lighting in that one shot with lights directly on Spider Man, I literally couldn't tell the difference in side by side screenshots. They look nearly identical. I guess the top one Miles has a slightly shinier suit, which again is probably lighting improvements.

ps51.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I thought that was obvious? But again it wasn’t gameplay just cutscene which can always get away with higher visuals.
So cool but nothing to brag about .. yet.

Last edited:

killatopak

I don’t really care too much about the graphics in this case. I’m more into what new things it brings to the table.

If it could somehow feature a GTAV triple playable character with instant switching that would be dope. If anything else, that would be a breath of fresh air from the monotony of just playing Peter or Miles the whole game.

Ultimate Spiderman can already do that in the PS2/GC and it worked great.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I will continue to read your words, because I cannot see what you guys are talking about with my eyeballs. I don't see how this is any different from God of War Ragnarok. Looks almost exactly the same, with some minimal adjustments in resolution and detail density.

We do know that these guys are good at getting raytracing up on PS5, so I'm sure it will have lighting improvements and faster loading, with probably multiple game modes cutting back on effects for framerate similar to Spider Man, and Ratchet.

But everything else looks the same to me? Probably the same city. Same character models and maybe even some reused animations, since they reused many on Miles Morales as well. They're making 2 games at once very quickly you know.

Hopefully the bulk of the cool next-gen effects are going towards Venom, which we really haven't seen yet.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Yeah, the same way HFW was last year and many many PS4 games prior... It's just a marketing buzzword/false marketing to build hype while not being sued later when the games actually lauch. If it's an actual gameplay Sony does literally write "actual gameplay footage" or "mix of gameplay and cinematics", but those kind of trailers happen months before launch, while if the release day is a year or more away, that's the misleading wording they use. C'mon guys, we go through this every single year, stop setting yourself for disappointment again and again already, it's the very definition of insanity...

Kuranghi

Fantastic work ofc, but the CGI looks noticeably better imo, its just the way it moves and the lighting in some shorts is far superior. Thats not fair because the CGI is just from scratch and the game has animations that play out and must feel good to play, but seems like it was to imply its as good, which I don't think it is.

I really hope we can get a fidelity/30hz mode in this without RT reflections but higher image quality and better other effects. Its really nice looking but when its not there I don't miss it as much as I always want higher resolution, better AO/GI and shadows, etc. Sounds too confusing for end user though, 3 options is enough probably.

The trailer did mention that it was running on a PS5 but that doesnt always mean it's realtime so it's good to get some confirmation. Easily the best looking game at the show.

P.S Diminishing-returns Squad on suicide watch. Literally looks as good as the CG ad for Miles. Exactly what I expected from next gen games.

Yeah I noticed it immediately when it was shown.

People kind of took it for granted because it looks so good it's just assumed to be CG or merely in-engine but not real time.

But the level of detail, lighting, and visual effects (volumetrics) is a huge step up from Spider-Man 1. I suspect they will really stress the SSD in this, too. Expecting more interiors in NYC to be explored

btw SlimySnake SlimySnake

Really strange how Insomniac is leading the industry now in terms of visuals. They were always kind of behind in previous gens.

But look at everything so far that has looked next-gen...it's almost exclusively insomniac (Ratchet, now Spider-Man 2)....that's literally it (outside of maybe some engines like Luminous with Forespoken, or Avatar, or Hogwarts...which we haven't seen anything of lately)

Evilms

Banned
Does anyone have any good pictures we can compare side by side? I'm just googling and this is obviously kind of a blurred one. But I mean ... it looks like the same thing to me? The Remastered game already looked really good, and his suit and fabrics were updated in that too.

Screen_Shot_2021_09_09_at_4.49.21_PM.png

Marvels-Spider-Man-2-Game-New-Powers-Peter-Miles.jpg

The lighting does look better though for sure. I'll give it that. I can actually see that. Other than the lighting in that one shot with lights directly on Spider Man, I literally couldn't tell the difference in side by side screenshots. They look nearly identical. I guess the top one Miles has a slightly shinier suit, which again is probably lighting improvements.

ps51.jpg
1631472741-1.jpg

1631472740-2.jpg

1631472731-3.jpg

1631472717-4.jpg

1631472733-5.jpg

1631472734-6.jpg

Falc67

Trailer looked amazing. Very special. But did NOT look as good as that CGI miles trailer. Watch that again in 4K on a TV. That miles CGI trailer is untouchable.

Good thing is though. We know the game will look like this trailer or better come launch, given Insomniacs recent history. So we win.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

im not trust in them... until they release the game.

Rule of gaming

Reallink

...Nobody was even debating this. Having just finished Miles a few weeks ago, this just looked like another of its real time cutscenes. Certainly nothing that blew it out of the water in anything approaching an unbelievable way. Same vibes as that embarrassing Forza 5 stream that tried to do the photogrametry "but wait it's real time" fake out that was immediately recognizable as gameplay given how woefully inferior it was to the (then) just released UE5 desert environment.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
I don´t buy it. Did she capture the footage and add music, do we know which youtuber uploaded this? Again, there is no gameplay to be seen, a slow camera pan shot and that´s it. She compared two cutscenes?

Also enough with Spiderman, make a new fokking Batman you lazy cunts!

I´m skeptical
I Dont Believe You Dr Strangelove GIF
Suspicious Side Eye GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Really strange how Insomniac is leading the industry now in terms of visuals. They were always kind of behind in previous gens.

But look at everything so far that has looked next-gen...it's almost exclusively insomniac (Ratchet, now Spider-Man 2)....that's literally it (outside of maybe some engines like Luminous with Forespoken, or Avatar, or Hogwarts...which we haven't seen anything of lately)
Really? I actually thought Ratchet Future Tools of Destruction looked incredible and was the first true graphical showpiece for the PS3. I am huge fan of Resistance 3 and I remember the first couple of levels looked stunning at the time. Lots of great dust effects that made them very atmospheric. A massive improvement over Resistance 1 and Resistance 2. Ratchet PS4 looked CG on the PS4 Pro especially if you played it on a 1080p tv where they downsampled their 1620p temporal AA image down to 1080p eliminating all jaggies and giving it a very clean look. We all know Spiderman was easily the best looking urban setting open world game last gen.

I think they are leading at the moment because they are the only ones really making next gen games lol. Everyone else is either slacking or being forced to slave away on last gen games. If I had joined a cutting edge studio like GoW and was forced to work on a 2011 GPU, i'd probably quit in disgust lol

I went back to my PSN screenshots just now and found many PS4 era screenshots of insomniac games where I just HAD to pause and take a screenshot.
DzLEypPWkAA6y33

DzLFMTuX0AUzLqu

DmhwJe7UwAE0ggV

Of course, their PS5 output has just been amazing.

Emwk-GJXcAQKek3

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

Last edited:

yurinka

This is what not being cross-gen gets you.
This is what to have the final specs and a PS5 devkt since almost its full production start and having time to develop it until 2023 gets you.

The game can be crossgen if they want and still look like that in PS5. 100% of what was shown in the trailer can be done in a PS4 with toned down visuals.

The comparison video is very blurry, is there an hd version?
You guys have to download (not stream) 4K versions from Gamersyde:
-Spider-Man 2 (right side of the screen)
-PlayStation Showcase 2021 downloadable videos (scroll down for links to the page of the other games)

I suggest you too to download the GoWR and HFW properly compressed 4K videos from Gamersyde. They look around that good but with crossgen games and showing (near final?) gameplay instead of in a very short cutscene made for a teaser.

Last edited:

nbkicker

I believe insomniac to hold the quality but then again we dont want puddle gate again, although i do remember ghosts of tsushima got first announced and the final product was deffently a downgrade to what was origonally shown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom