• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix details Forspoken PS5 graphics modes and DualSense features

CuriousNoah

Neo Member
I am curious as to what aspect of the graphics that they are gonna ray trace and how well that mode is gonna run. maybe reflections (kinda manageable) or shadows (I doubt).

The recent gameplay video has me worried as to how the performance will be on the PS5. Since they have quality mode as an option, I expected ray tracing to be a part of it. but having it as an seperate option indicates that they can't put it in the quality mode for somre reason. (probably due to performance being sub 30fps).

I would be surprised if the raytracing mode is 60fps tho.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We don't know what build they have shown and how old it is? It has about 5-6 months of dev time and that's when the spit and polish is applied. Hopefully it will look better and closer to the reveal video.
Once a game gets downgraded before release, it's typically never gets those downgraded graphics back.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
While Mitsuno didn’t specifically mention the resolution and framerate of the game’s Ray Tracing mode, we can surmise that it will run at a 1080p resolution with a possible target framerate of 30FPS. This is based on other PS5 titles with a similar set of graphics modes.

What PS5 game has a raytracing mode that targets 1080p30?

Lethal01

What PS5 game has a raytracing mode that targets 1080p30?
NO, this is guesswork by random people and we don't know what thye will have for the raytracing mode.

I'm always happy to see more raytracing though, everybody needs to start switching over as fast as possible.

sendit

The combat and animation are extremely fluid here, can’t wait to play this. Day 1 PC release I’m assuming?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The combat and animation are extremely fluid here, can’t wait to play this. Day 1 PC release I’m assuming?

Yes, and it's even releasing on the MS store from what I can read online. Not an EGS exclusive.

SlimySnake

Yeah but arkane are shit with graphic, square made ff15 and 7rerape that are more than decent graphically (very uneven tho).
Yeah, I just wanted to take a dig at Deathloop one last time lol Still cant believe it won best art direction over Ratchet. probably the only award I disagree with, and its a big one. Just completely unacceptable.

I have no idea what happened with this game. The original trailer showed that this team is indeed very capable. It was one of the few next gen looking titles at launch. Notice how good the GI is in this gif.

UucIxxw.gif

The environments look far closer to the UE5 demo than whatever cross gen hell they have managed to downgrade it to in the latest build. They had even said it was PS5 footage so they had this running on the damn debug kit and still managed to downgrade it. So frustrating.

I thought we would be past this kind of downgrade by now. Targeting native 4k 30 fps too for some fucking reason. Just a string of really poor decisions by this team.

GymWolf

Yeah, I just wanted to take a dig at Deathloop one last time lol Still cant believe it won best art direction over Ratchet. probably the only award I disagree with, and its a big one. Just completely unacceptable.

I have no idea what happened with this game. The original trailer showed that this team is indeed very capable. It was one of the few next gen looking titles at launch. Notice how good the GI is in this gif.

UucIxxw.gif

The environments look far closer to the UE5 demo than whatever cross gen hell they have managed to downgrade it to in the latest build. They had even said it was PS5 footage so they had this running on the damn debug kit and still managed to downgrade it. So frustrating.

I thought we would be past this kind of downgrade by now. Targeting native 4k 30 fps too for some fucking reason. Just a string of really poor decisions by this team.
I think you people need to calm your tits.

If the game is really a full fledged open world you are gonna have your forest, your snowy area and your desert like most OP games that are not called halo infinite.

We only saw a damn beach in horizon 2, is the whope map a beach? Fuck no.

We are probably gonna see all of what you see in those gifs unless square completely lost his fucking mind.

It is the same thing with the constant talking, some of you are clearly seeing a videogame trailer for the first time in your life...(not you specifically)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think you people need to calm your tits.

If the game is really a full fledged open world you are gonna have your forest, your snowy area and your desert like most OP games that are not called halo infinite.

We only saw a damn beach in horizon 2, is the whope map a beach? Fuck no.

We are probably gonna see all of what you see in those gifs unless square completely lost his fucking mind.

It is the same thing with the constant talking, some of you are clearly seeing a videogame trailer for the first time in your life...(not you specifically)
Yeah, they already showed those off at the PS conference in September. You can see a lot of different environments. None look as good as the original trailer. The lighting especially has been massively downgraded. reminds me of that Witcher 3 engine change mid development where they changed the entire renderer. The game looks far more gamey now.

Timestamped:

GymWolf

Yeah, they already showed those off at the PS conference in September. You can see a lot of different environments. None look as good as the original trailer. The lighting especially has been massively downgraded. reminds me of that Witcher 3 engine change mid development where they changed the entire renderer. The game looks far more gamey now.

Timestamped:

Yeah i can see that but downgrade or not i still think that the game looks rather nice overall.

Reactions: Isa

John Wick

I'm not gonna start shitting on the game until it's finished. Deathloop was shat on and that turned out a very capable game. I think most people need to calm down. Let the finished product do the walking and not the trailers while in development.

TonyK

For the tenth time, framerate is fidelity. 60 fps literally gives you more visual information. What's the point of high resolution when it's a smeary mess as soon as you move. I don't get it.
Maybe your screen is too small or you sit too close? Because in my screen is totally noticeable the difference in detail between 2k and 4k. Obviously, 60fps it's better than 30fps, but in the same way as 4k is better than 2k. People saying they look similar are like people saying there is no difference between 60 and 30fps.

I play some games at 4k30fps and others at 2k60fps. It depends of the type of game.

BreakOut

I think they need to copy insomniac and add at 40 FPS mode! That was such a good idea and it plays so well, I hope every other exclusive will follow suit at some point. There isn’t really a reason not to. It makes a huge difference. Any console that got on board with that would benefit.

CGiRanger

Banned
This... is their promotional screenshot?

THIS?
That's what I was saying. I mean, this just seems like they didn't care. This fails spectacularly as a promo, both for supposedly presenting the game in a marketable light on a "wow look at this!" level, or even in a light to inform the audience what the game is all about.

isoRhythm

Banned
Nobody gives a shit about vast empty pre-made assets wasteland with redundant and bland point-to-point interactions with enemies, loot or npcs.
I'd agree if open-world games weren't constantly topping the charts. Hell Assassins's Creed had its best year with Valhalla and that game is exactly what you described.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'd probably choose the RT mode if I were going to get this. It will be an easy pass for me though.

kingfey

Banned
I am sold on skills. But I aint paying 70$ for it. Will wait for price reduction, or the ps+ announcement.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

It's strange, seems like the biggest issue with the graphics is that all the promo footage is 1080p and makes the game and textures look blurry. Whilst I am no fan of this project, I'll give them a break and assume they are showing of an earlier build.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"2K" doesn't actually exist as a TV resolution. It normally refers to a resolution around 2000 pixels in the largest dimension, which IMO would be closer to 1920x1080 than 2560x1440. So who knows what he actually means. Where was 1440p confirmed?

I also like "Ray Tracing Mode – Features ray tracing". Ok, thanks. Lol.

Tranquil

"2K" doesn't actually exist as a TV resolution. It normally refers to a resolution around 2000 pixels in the largest dimension, which IMO would be closer to 1920x1080 than 2560x1440. So who knows what he actually means. Where was 1440p confirmed?

I also like "Ray Tracing Mode – Features ray tracing". Ok, thanks. Lol.
I think if someone says 2k they mean 1440p.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think if someone says 2k they mean 1440p.

Why do you think that? It's not how it's defined. In fact it makes no real sense to call 2560x1440p "2K". We call 3840x2160 "4K" because the horizontal axis is pretty close to 4,000 pixels. So the only TV resolution it would really make sense to call "2K" by the same logic is 1920x1080.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think most people go with how it's defined.

Alright, but it doesn't make sense. "4K" and "2K" are simplifications (marketing terms) either way, but IF we're gonna use them then surely 2K should be the resolution that has half the horizontal resolution of 4K? Which would be 1080p.

Last edited:

Tranquil

Alright, but it doesn't make sense. "4K" and "2K" are simplifications (marketing terms) either way, but IF we're gonna use them then surely 2K should be the resolution that has half the horizontal resolution of 4K? Which would be 1080p.

Yeah the naming is really a mess.

Top Bottom