• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Beyond - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Paramount moved the original embargo up from next week to...about an hour ago. Here are some impressions, OP will be updated as I find more:

Aggregators

RottenTomatoes Score - 85% *CERTIFIED FRESH* (164 reviews in - 7/10 average)
Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.

Metacritic Score - 70 (40 reviews in)

Reviews

Variety (no score - positive):

The sequence has that Lin spin, that overdose of activity that gets you pumped. And that’s a good thing — or, at least, it’s good up to a point — because “Star Trek Beyond,” for all the addictive intensity of its visual flourishes, is the most prosaic and, in many ways, the least adventurous of the Abrams-era “Star Trek” outings. It’s a sturdily built movie that gets the job done, and it’s got a likable retro vibe: The fact that Kirk and his crew spend a good part of the film stranded, without recourse, gives “Star Trek Beyond” a wide-eyed, slightly clunky analog stasis that takes us right back to the spirit of the TV series. Like the show, it lets us share quality time with cast members who now seem like old friends. Yet to say that the movie fails to break new ground would be putting it mildly. It truly feels like an extended episode, without a single “Oh, wow!” trick up its sleeve, which may be why, until the eye-popping climax, it’s more earnest than exciting.

The Hollywood Reporter (no score - positive):

J.J. Abrams reanimated a dormant sci-fi franchise for the big screen with his propulsive 2009 origin story, Star Trek, but then shifted into neutral for the humdrum 2013 follow-up, Star Trek Into Darkness, a regimented blockbuster that felt hollow and heavy beneath all its noise and brawn. With Fast & Furious veteran Justin Lin stepping in as director, the third reboot installment, Star Trek Beyond, regains momentum, and not just in the obvious area of its muscular action set-pieces. The script injects a welcome strain of humor that's true to the original Gene Roddenberry creation, delivering nostalgia without stiff veneration.

The Guardian (3 out of 5 stars - positive):

Star Trek Beyond doesn’t go that far beyond what we might expect: a very decent, watchable franchise episode which is marooned for quite a long time on a distant rocky planet.

Empire (4 out of 5 stars):

Roses rarely lose their bloom as quickly as Star Trek Into Darkness. Well received upon its initial release, JJ Abrams’ sequel has since undergone a recalibration and a re-evaluation. It was famously voted worst Trek movie ever by one group of Trekkers, and has been criticised for being too dark, for its karaoke-style riffing on previous Trek films such as The Wrath Of Khan, and for simply not feeling like a Star Trek movie.

Star Trek Beyond feels like a reaction to that reaction. Here is a movie where the emphasis is on good, old-fashioned fun, and that feels, in a good way, almost like an extended episode of the Trek TV show, right down to stranding the crew of the Enterprise on an alien world where the sets sometimes feel fashioned out of polystyrene. It’s a movie that, in almost every word of Simon Pegg and Doug Jung’s script, responds to the fans’ criticisms and says, “We listened.”

IndieWire (B-)

A lighter, funnier effort than the previous installments, “Star Trek Beyond” reflects a changing of the guard. With JJ Abrams passing the baton to Justin Lin, the latest entry plays like a CGI-heavy “Fast and the Furious” movie set in the future, with fancy gadgetry and fast-paced showdowns taking prominence over plot. Simon Pegg does double-duty, returning to the role of Scotty and co-writing the screenplay with Doug Jung. The result has Lin’s eye for outstanding set pieces and Pegg’s ear for injecting familiar genre tropes with wit. There’s an odd disconnect between the movie’s undercooked conflict and its epic scale, to the point where it barely exists as more than a series of flashy moments. But its trivial qualities come as something of a relief — this is a movie engineered to avoid overextending its allure, which differs greatly from so many of its summer movie peers that do exactly that.

Village Voice (no score, positive):

I'm not sure there's anything particularly original about any of this, but Lin thrives on making clichés breathe again; he proved with his Fast and Furious films that he knows how to convince audiences of the sincerity of prepackaged Hollywood sentiment. (This time, I was half-expecting Kirk to start talking about his "familia.") And while he may have seemed like a counterintuitive choice to take over a Star Trek movie, Lin is absolutely in his element whenever the film becomes about bodies and vehicles moving swiftly through space — which is often. Part of the climax involves a dizzying, elaborate, multi-vehicle chase in an ornate interstellar settlement whose gravitational structure seems to have been designed by M.C. Escher. It's gonzo silliness, but when a director has this much fun, it's hard for his audience not to.

Some reviews are beginning to trickle down for this film from various sites so I figured now would be a good time to do what GAF does best - talk about movie opinions. Overall, the film looks like it's faring really well barring some disappointment from a few critics.

Time Out (4 out of 5 stars):

So it’s a genuine pleasure to report that ‘Star Trek Beyond’ is not ambitious in the slightest – unless you count the filmmakers’ absolute commitment to making audiences grin, whoop, and bounce up and down in their seats. More than any franchise entry since 1998’s (admittedly ropey) ‘Star Trek Insurrection’, it feels like a classic TV episode: the crew of the Enterprise head to a mysterious planet, they get into a spot of bother and Captain Kirk punches an alien. The end.

Not since the original crew stepped down have we felt such a vivid sense of adventure and comradeship. And it helps that ‘Fast & Furious’ veteran Justin Lin is a better straight-up action director than JJ Abrams ever was: the battle scenes roar like thunder, and a late sequence in a gravity-defying starbase is astonishing.

Forbes (5 out of 10, negative)

The picture is filled with enjoyable characters and occasionally sharp dialogue, and a couple solid action scenes. It looked great in glorious IMAX 2D. For many that will be enough. But it spends too much time literally and metaphorically stranded. Beyond whether or not Kirk “finds his smile,” the movie really isn’t about anything of note. Star Trek Beyond sadly upholds that old “even/odd” rule for Star Trek cinematic universe. Or maybe it’s just the unlucky 13th installment.

Den of Geek (3 out of 5 stars, positive):

Beyond seems so keen to be all things to all movie-goers that it winds up feeling a little frivolous. Die-hard Trek fans will likely be heartened that the movie includes more exploration, problem-solving and a general sense of what I can only call Trekkiness than the previous two movies. Anyone who disliked the less-than-scientific sci-fi elements of Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, however - the red matter, Tribble experimentation and so on - probably won’t be impressed by some of Beyond’s goofier bits.

Nevertheless, Beyond moves at a fast pace, and younger viewers will probably enjoy the humour and the light good-naturedness of it all. There’s the nagging sensation that there isn’t much in Star Trek Beyond that will stick in the mind for more than a day after viewing it; the sense of occasion and drama in, say, The Wrath Of Khan, The Search For Spock or First Contact are conspicuously absent. But once again, it's the quality of the characters and the actors who inhabit them that make this a worthy evening's entertainment. Coupled with Michael Giacchino's uplifting score, the crew of the Enterprise remain as fun to spend time with as they ever were.

New York Daily News (4 out of 5 stars):

The new "Star Trek Beyond" touches down in theaters this week, and it's not only filled with the usual special-effects eye candy, but smart, fan-focused writing.

Entertainment Weekly (C+, mixed/negative/rotten):

If you’re looking for a witty workplace sitcom set on a futuristic starship, the latest exploits featuring the crew of the Enterprise, Star Trek Beyond, won’t disappoint. But it has to be asked: Is that really why most of us go to see a Star Trek film? The third installment since J.J. Abrams seamlessly rebooted the beloved sci-fi franchise seven years ago, Beyond is more fun than deep. It’s lightweight, zero-gravity Trek that is, for the most part, devoid of the sort of Big Ideas and knotty existential questions that creator Gene Roddenberry specialized in. You could argue that the philosophical, political, and sociological subtext is what always set his universe (and its big- and small-screen iterations) apart from other tech-heavy space adventures. Maybe that’s why Beyond feels slightly insubstantial.

Ultimately, Beyond is a movie about characters - and character. But that's half the battle. The other half of the battle is... battle. And Lin, who has such a strong track record with vehicular mayhem, doesn't bring his "A" game.

mcfrank

Glad to hear positive feedback. From the first trailer and the lack of promo this had disaster written all over it. Very happy it is not that.

Sephzilla

Excited to hear this is apparently a big rebound from Into Darkness. Trek 2009 remains one of my favorite films in the Trek film franchise

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Some reviews are beginning to trickle down for this film from various sites so I figured now would be a good time to do what GAF does best - talk about movie opinions. Overall, the film looks like it's faring really well barring some disappointment from a few critics.

Current Tomatometer: 87%

Village Voice
While he may have seemed like a counterintuitive choice to take over a Star Trek movie, Lin is absolutely in his element whenever the film becomes about bodies and vehicles moving swiftly through space - which is often.

Variety
Star Trek Beyond” might have been more accurately entitled “Star Trek Contained.” It’s got a very familiar, old-fangled, no-mystery structure, and that’s because it’s basically the “Star Trek” version of an interplanetary action film, with a plot that doesn’t take you to many new frontiers. But there’s plenty of chance to hang out with a cast that audiences have — rightly — come to love.

TotalFilm (Score 3/5)