• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe we have some people in here suggesting ANOTHER male captain when we've only had one woman (to five men, if you count NuKirk).

Lately I've been thinking that Gina Torres could probably pull of Captain, she's mostly known for her role in Firefly and Suits.

iM5wFIF.jpg
Nope, she played Jasmine in Angel. Can't get past that.

That said, I do want another woman captain and hopefully a majority female senior staff (4 to 3 instead of the usual 3 to 4 or 2 to 5).

Bluth54

Lately I've been thinking that Gina Torres could probably pull of Captain, she's mostly known for her role in Firefly and Suits.

iM5wFIF.jpg
She would make an excellent captain but there's no way she would have time to do another TV show with Suits currently still on the air.

Fuchsdh

I don't really have any casting choices in mind. I think it's kind of stupid to worry about quotas and ratios; if they want to be diverse just put a bunch of adjectives on a die and roll for each character and cast from that.

I don't really have any casting choices in mind. I think it's kind of stupid to worry about quotas and ratios; if they want to be diverse just put a bunch of adjectives on a die and roll for each character and cast from that.
Star Trek has always been pretty progressive but it still treated women poorly (forcing Marina Sirtis to wear a catsuit for most of TNG and the dabo girls in DS9) often. Voyager was much better about it.

Effect

Star Trek has always been pretty progressive but it still treated women poorly (forcing Marina Sirtis to wear a catsuit for most of TNG and the dabo girls in DS9) often. Voyager was much better about it.

I thought the dabo girls thing was good world building. DS9 wasn't a federation station after all you were dealing with Ferengi. The Marina Sirtis thing was always weird though even as a kid. I never understood why her character "got to" dress like that while all the other starfleet officers were in normal uniforms.

cntr

Banned
Yeah. Some of it was corporate, like how the women were supposed to wear pants in TOS, not miniskirts, but a lot of it was just plain sexism.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You must never have gotten to S4.

I don't know if it's fair to bring the Dabo girls on DS9. At last their attire totally fit the context of their character.

You must never have gotten to S4.

I don't know if it's fair to bring the Dabo girls on DS9. At last their attire totally fit the context of their character.
I'm just highlighting that Star Trek can be better about this. Another female captain and a majority female senior staff would do a lot.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

uh, what's the issue with dabo girls?

Karu

Angela Bassett would be incredible (Know her mainly from ER, but she was a huge part why the last season was so amazing.) and choosing a diverse cast/captain is a fantastic idea. If I had my shelfish choice right now, though? I wanna see how Kyle Chandler does as a captain.

Fuchsdh

uh, what's the issue with dabo girls?

Well, they're basically the equivalent of Vegas table girls and waitstaff, with the implication that they could be prostitutes as well depending on the price.

Although I think from that angle it's kind of hard to argue about Troi's clothing* and skimpy clothes for the most part in-universe, because the 24th century is pretty uniformly shown as rather libertine. Risa is a massive pleasure planet, after all, and the only person we ever see upset it is Worf in one of DS9's worst episodes ("I hate divorce, so I'm gonna' become a terrorist!") Really the only character I can think of that can't get a pass by those measures is the catsuit-and-heels of Seven of Nine, which by my reckoning is the absolute worst gratuitous appearance of heels ever when you consider the character.

Obviously though while it takes place in the 24th century, it's still being written by people of our time, and can be read from that perspective.

*Honestly even above the weird lack of professionalism, I always felt like they costumed Troi in some really ugly clothes that might show cleavage but didn't look good. So glad they kept her in the uniform after "Chain of Command", although it was always funny to me in-universe that basically Troi gets chewed out once and then changed her entire wardrobe for the years after that.

Matt

Bakula was sleepwalking through most of the show. Granted most of the show was awful and didn't inspire good work from any of the actors, but there were obviously times when someone was trying hard and Bakula wasn't doing his part.

He did seem to care more when the series got better towards the end.

t-storm

As I mentioned in other ST threads, I'm powering through DS9 and I just finished the episode, "The Visitor." Couldn't finish it without tearing up. As I make my way through the series, it's evident how underrated Avery Brooks' legacy has been; he arguably just doesn't get the attention he should compared to the other captains. Definitely one of the best.

I liked Bakula on Quantum Leap, and I was really disappointed with him on Enterprise. Sleepwalking is a good way of putting it.

I thought Richard Dean Anderson to Stargate was much better 80s show white guy to space commander transition, but he really started to sleepwalk as the show went on, even beyond Bakula levels.

Based on this I'm thinking it probably shouldn't be David Hasselhoff.

edit: Avery Brooks was great, even better in hindsight. Sure he overacted all the time, but a good Trek captain needs some god damn energy!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Enterprise got better, but I don't think it was ever more than OK. Bakula was a huge disappointment, as was virtually every can't member.

Voyager was at least occasionally brilliant, and had some good characters.

We heard from the head writer of the show that he wants to do a show that feels like the 60s Trek, that he has already done Voyager/DS9 style content and wants to do some thou more like TOS. That was never going to happen.

Not to mention the involvement of Meyer. This is going to be TOS era very likely.

Klingon War? Maybe why they trying halt Axanar.

Tony Todd for captain
latest

He's got the voice, charisma and the acting chops.
Mads Mikkelsen as his first officer.

I want it to be set after DS9/Voyager/the destruction of Romulus. 2390s starfleet uniforms are the best starfleet uniforms
Uniform_2390s.jpg

latest

zerosum

Never stopped them before.

Yeah, that's the good thing about make-up and effects, the ability to reuse actors for different roles.

Hell, Troi's mother was the ships computer in TNG. It blew my mind when I realized that. Was so obvious after knowing the fact.

I'd watch a series about Kurn though. But didn't they wipe his memory or something?

Admiral too.

Hah, nice.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm just highlighting that Star Trek can be better about this. Another female captain and a majority female senior staff would do a lot.

After Enterprise and Voyager, I just want a well written Captain. Not complete idiots who would never really be put in command.

Guess for diversity, I'd lean towards a Female Captain, we need a good one. We've had a great Black Captain. Give me someone like Colonel Kira, but in full command.

I want it to be set after DS9/Voyager/the destruction of Romulus. 2390s starfleet uniforms are the best starfleet uniforms
Uniform_2390s.jpg

Rather they stick with the late DS9/First Contact Uniforms. Those looked good!

If its going to be in the 23rd century can we just get the godamned excelsior series with sulu in command that we deserved but never got.:(

TyrantII

You mean the show that put Jeri Ryan in Treks most memorable catsuit?

The ironic thing was Ryan and Piccardo were really the two stars of that series. Both in acting chops and the stories they ended up with, it was the only saving grace of Voyager. But, the reason for bringing in Ryan was to sex things up when rating were floundering because of the terrible writing and character inconsistencies. It's funny that you can cut every episode out where they don't have a A or B story and not miss anything.

The new series, I hope they take a look at the best episodes from all the series. Especially since they tend to stand the test of time, and do not rely on confusing back story or cannon. The best Trek has always been character focused with a plot that's grounded.

Like I said, more Q-Whos, less Borg. They shouldn't be recycling or revisiting things that don't really need it. Leave that to secondary fiction.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Well, they're basically the equivalent of Vegas table girls and waitstaff, with the implication that they could be prostitutes as well depending on the price.

Although I think from that angle it's kind of hard to argue about Troi's clothing* and skimpy clothes for the most part in-universe, because the 24th century is pretty uniformly shown as rather libertine. Risa is a massive pleasure planet, after all, and the only person we ever see upset it is Worf in one of DS9's worst episodes ("I hate divorce, so I'm gonna' become a terrorist!") Really the only character I can think of that can't get a pass by those measures is the catsuit-and-heels of Seven of Nine, which by my reckoning is the absolute worst gratuitous appearance of heels ever when you consider the character.

Obviously though while it takes place in the 24th century, it's still being written by people of our time, and can be read from that perspective.

*Honestly even above the weird lack of professionalism, I always felt like they costumed Troi in some really ugly clothes that might show cleavage but didn't look good. So glad they kept her in the uniform after "Chain of Command", although it was always funny to me in-universe that basically Troi gets chewed out once and then changed her entire wardrobe for the years after that.

so they're entreneuses and/or maybe prostitutes, big deal. It's perfectly fine in that context, not sure what the issue is

Effect

That's one things I really like about Star Trek. They're completely willing to have actors play multiple roles. Granted it's easier for them to do since there are so many aliens species but its something they didn't have to do.

As a defense, Seven wasn't starfleet. Troi had no excuse for no uniform.

I thought the whole point she wasn't in uniform was purposefully due to her role as ships councilor. Instead of her patients seeing her as a superior officer, they always saw her in civilian clothing to keep them from feeling alienated.

She wears a uniform after getting called out for it by and Captain Jellico. This also was an important moment in her character arc because it was at this point the developed the fact that Troi wanted to become a bridge officer with command authority, which she eventually does.

I think while the outfits were a little silly, they actually served her character arc better than had they not been in there.

Matt

I thought the whole point she wasn't in uniform was purposefully due to her role as ships councilor. Instead of her patients seeing her as a superior officer, they always saw her in civilian clothing to keep them from feeling alienated.

She wears a uniform after getting called out for it by and Captain Jellico. This also was an important moment in her character arc because it was at this point the developed the fact that Troi wanted to become a bridge officer with command authority, which she eventually does.

I think while the outfits were a little silly, they actually served her character arc better than had they not been in there.
Might be a reasonable argument...except for the fact that the outfit was designed to show off her cleavage. Like, period. Gene was kinda a perv.

RagnarokX

Heh. TOS ended with an episode where a woman used a machine to switch bodies with Kirk because women weren't allowed to be captains, and then her plot came undone as she became more and more hysterical.

sammex

I'd have loved to see Shohreh Aghdashloo as a captain but I guess she's getting a bit too old for the role now, she was great in The Expanse. Maybe Ming Na Wen?

Or if they really had to go with a white male, Ray Stevenson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom